Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

.020 PeeWee Cox_ba12

.020 PeeWee Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

.020 PeeWee Empty
Live on Patrol

.020 PeeWee

Go down

.020 PeeWee Empty .020 PeeWee

Post  dinsdale Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:47 am

I had the good fortune to be given an old gummed-up PeeWee a couple of days ago. It has a red tank, a metal back plate and a narrow front on the crankcase. However, apart from plenty of old castor gum, it looks to be in good condition. I won't get home to clean it up for quite a while yet.

It's a lovely little piece and I have a model already in mind for it. However, I'd really like to be able to use an external fuel tank. Has anyone here done, or have a mod which would enable me to do this, preferably just a bolt-on mod so that the engine can be reinstated if need be? For my purpose (a little airboat) I want a greater run duration than the integral tank will give. I'm planing on using a 3 blade prop, installed the "wrong way around" and running the engine backwards, so as to have a pusher.

Any advice??
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

.020 PeeWee Empty Re: .020 PeeWee

Post  roddie Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:00 am

Try to find a Cox "Sky-Copter" parts-helicopter that still has the engine/mount. These had a plastic reed-holder/back-plate type of set-up that you can modify for an external tank. Mark (batjac) has a few of these that he's messed around with. Maybe he'll chime-in on the particulars.

I think this is a photo of one of his.

.020 PeeWee Cox_sk10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:41 am

I drilled a hole through the red anodized Pee Wee tank and ran small silicon fuel tubing from the fuel nipple through the tank hole outside to a larger external tank on my Ace Littlest Stick single channel Ace Pulse RC plane.
.020 PeeWee Ace_rc10
.020 PeeWee Ace_rc11

Since these Pee Wee's are getting rarer these days, I'd suggest modifying a tank that already has imperfections such as where someone's screwdriver scratched off the anodizing by the screw locations. But then, it all depends on its worth to you. After all, you are the one using it and personally (and it's my personal opinion) an engine is better run even modified than sit on one's shelf and collect dust.
Best "trophy engines" are those in view of all on a flying airplane. Wink RC Plane
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:46 am

roddie wrote:Try to find a Cox "Sky-Copter" parts-helicopter that still has the engine/mount. These had a plastic reed-holder/back-plate type of set-up that you can modify for an external tank. Mark (batjac) has a few of these that he's messed around with. Maybe he'll chime-in on the particulars. I think this is a photo of one of his.
.020 PeeWee Cox_sk10

Those RTF backed Pee Wee's have a place in my heart, because as you state, one can readily mount the engine and make use of an external tank for extended runs. Wink
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 am

Hi, All.   The previous pic isn’t mine, but yes, I’ve tried three or four methods for mounting the production engines from the PeeWee powered helicopters.  I love these little engines.  The way I finally settled on to mount these is a pretty permanent modification to the backplate, but what the hell.  I’m never mounting them back in a helicopter again, so nothing’s lost.

The way I prefer to do it now is to take the two piece backplate assembly apart, and mark the backplate piece that attaches to the engine using an old tank back from a PeeWee.  I use a trashed tank back because I don’t want to take a chance on messing up a good tank back, although the chance is slim.  What I do is put a couple of screws through the PeeWee tank back, through the plastic backplate, and screw them into the crank case to hold the pieces together.  Then I use the holes from the mounting tabs as a drill guide to drill out mounting holes in the plastic.  

.020 PeeWee DSCN1647_zpsf56df2ea
.020 PeeWee DSCN1652_zpsb4d93c56

The position of these holes leaves enough clearance to put screws though the front.

.020 PeeWee DSCN1656_zpsd08a999e

I then screw the other plastic piece to the first and drill through the second piece for matching holes.  After that I scribe lines outside of the mounting holes just a little bit outside where the mounting tabs would stick out on a PeeWee backplate.  I cut and file the round plastic plates to a rectangular shape and then smooth everything up.

.020 PeeWee DSCN1659_zpsbc80e694
.020 PeeWee DSCN1661_zpsf4b550ee

Makes a nice mount that will fit the standard PeeWee firewall mounting holes.  The only thing is that the screw heads holding the backplate to the case still protrude a bit.  So, either make recesses in your firewall for the screw heads (what I prefer), or use spacers on your mounting screws when you mount the engine.

That’s how I plan to do it from now on.

The Re-Purposing Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:00 pm

Mark (batjac), that is a very practical way to re-use this engine to fit Pee Wee mounting in models. I guess one could also mimick the mount bolt pattern for the Tee Dee .020 by drilling two holes, one on each side. The greater capacity of an external tank really extends flight making this a really useful engine. (Reminds me of Sir Toppem's statement in Thomas the Tank Engine, LOL. Smile ) St.Pats Beers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:55 pm

I have a .020 with a Ryan PT mount. It is a much cleaner looking mount and easier to install on the nose than a helicopter mount. Both the Ryan and helicopter mounts work well though.

Ron

.020 PeeWee TlsIaVa
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:45 am

Cribbs74 wrote:I have a .020 with a Ryan PT mount. It is a much cleaner looking mount and easier to install on the nose than a helicopter mount. Both the Ryan and helicopter mounts work well though.

Ron

.020 PeeWee TlsIaVa
Now that one really looks the part! Where might I get one of them? If they're too hard to get, where can I get one of those helicopter backplates from? The red one looks the best to me.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:12 am

Cribbs74 wrote:I have a .020 with a Ryan PT mount. It is a much cleaner looking mount and easier to install on the nose than a helicopter mount. Both the Ryan and helicopter mounts work well though.

Ron

.020 PeeWee TlsIaVa

I had forgotten about those Ron! An old RCG "For Sale" ad stated in it's description that the Army-Trainer was only produced from 1969-70 and that a major design drawback, is that the wing was "glued-on".. unlike it's rubber-band saddled big brother. The photos below show "pins" on the fuse near the wing's L/E though..  Huh... I suppose there would have been problems with the pushrod bending.. seeing that the bell-crank is wing-mounted.

(RCG photo)

.020 PeeWee Motor10
.020 PeeWee Bottom10

How does that back-plate "needle".. as compared to the tanked engine? (more/same/less touchy?)

Did any of the RTF's have a Pee Wee tanked engine.. or did they all use a similar plastic back-plate?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:05 am

Thanks Mark I have one of those heli. engines and was wondering how I could use it , got it at a swap meet 2-3 yr. ago $ 10--- Heck that red one looks good but only one yr. in production is going to be tough to find and $$$ I have seen a few on the bay if you keep looking can pick up cheap. Eric Shocked
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:10 am

I've wanted one of those PeeWee backplates, but they are always too expensive on eBay. I've not seen that style, but I've seen the early Pitts style two or three times on eBay. Cheaper to get the heli engines and modify them.

The Frugal Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:22 pm

An old thread but I found it useful…. After reading Mauricio’s recent remarks on the Skycopter backplate I found and ordered one…. Then found this thread with Mark’s method to adapt to airplane use … Thanks guys!!

I reworked it then mated it to a PeeWee .020 R/C front end….Tested with the Cox 3.125x2.5 three blade…. Near 20K top and about 8.5K idle…. Nice transition from low to high every time….
Should make a neat RC engine….

.020 PeeWee 449b0710
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:11 pm

Nice job Robert, I simply have to try one of those throttle sleeves on a Cox engine.

Yes, old thread when roddie was active.  He always had a beneficial comment.  I love that Ryan ST and the Cox model of it.  Never found one in my price range.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down