Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» GSCB meet this Sunday
by GWILLIEFOX Today at 7:00 am

» The Breezy Hill Flyers "Black Fly-Day" Event !!!
by Kim Today at 6:46 am

» *** Double SIGH ***
by Kim Today at 5:15 am

» 1/2A Non-Contest Control Line Gathering
by Kim Today at 5:02 am

» Drill Press Question
by Jason_WI Today at 2:06 am

» Rebuild videos?
by Sunbird Today at 1:24 am

» Submarine ARA San Juan Lost in the sea ....
by batjac Today at 1:14 am

» testors mccoy running poorly video
by batjac Today at 1:10 am

» Phishing email from someone posing as you
by RknRusty Today at 12:51 am

» Recent engine acquisitions
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:08 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

.020 PeeWee

View previous topic View next topic Go down

.020 PeeWee

Post  dinsdale on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:47 am

I had the good fortune to be given an old gummed-up PeeWee a couple of days ago. It has a red tank, a metal back plate and a narrow front on the crankcase. However, apart from plenty of old castor gum, it looks to be in good condition. I won't get home to clean it up for quite a while yet.

It's a lovely little piece and I have a model already in mind for it. However, I'd really like to be able to use an external fuel tank. Has anyone here done, or have a mod which would enable me to do this, preferably just a bolt-on mod so that the engine can be reinstated if need be? For my purpose (a little airboat) I want a greater run duration than the integral tank will give. I'm planing on using a 3 blade prop, installed the "wrong way around" and running the engine backwards, so as to have a pusher.

Any advice??
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: .020 PeeWee

Post  roddie on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:00 am

Try to find a Cox "Sky-Copter" parts-helicopter that still has the engine/mount. These had a plastic reed-holder/back-plate type of set-up that you can modify for an external tank. Mark (batjac) has a few of these that he's messed around with. Maybe he'll chime-in on the particulars.

I think this is a photo of one of his.

roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:41 am

I drilled a hole through the red anodized Pee Wee tank and ran small silicon fuel tubing from the fuel nipple through the tank hole outside to a larger external tank on my Ace Littlest Stick single channel Ace Pulse RC plane.

Since these Pee Wee's are getting rarer these days, I'd suggest modifying a tank that already has imperfections such as where someone's screwdriver scratched off the anodizing by the screw locations. But then, it all depends on its worth to you. After all, you are the one using it and personally (and it's my personal opinion) an engine is better run even modified than sit on one's shelf and collect dust.
Best "trophy engines" are those in view of all on a flying airplane. Wink RC Plane

GallopingGhostler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:46 am

roddie wrote:Try to find a Cox "Sky-Copter" parts-helicopter that still has the engine/mount. These had a plastic reed-holder/back-plate type of set-up that you can modify for an external tank. Mark (batjac) has a few of these that he's messed around with. Maybe he'll chime-in on the particulars. I think this is a photo of one of his.

Those RTF backed Pee Wee's have a place in my heart, because as you state, one can readily mount the engine and make use of an external tank for extended runs. Wink

GallopingGhostler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 am

Hi, All.   The previous pic isn’t mine, but yes, I’ve tried three or four methods for mounting the production engines from the PeeWee powered helicopters.  I love these little engines.  The way I finally settled on to mount these is a pretty permanent modification to the backplate, but what the hell.  I’m never mounting them back in a helicopter again, so nothing’s lost.

The way I prefer to do it now is to take the two piece backplate assembly apart, and mark the backplate piece that attaches to the engine using an old tank back from a PeeWee.  I use a trashed tank back because I don’t want to take a chance on messing up a good tank back, although the chance is slim.  What I do is put a couple of screws through the PeeWee tank back, through the plastic backplate, and screw them into the crank case to hold the pieces together.  Then I use the holes from the mounting tabs as a drill guide to drill out mounting holes in the plastic.  

The position of these holes leaves enough clearance to put screws though the front.

I then screw the other plastic piece to the first and drill through the second piece for matching holes.  After that I scribe lines outside of the mounting holes just a little bit outside where the mounting tabs would stick out on a PeeWee backplate.  I cut and file the round plastic plates to a rectangular shape and then smooth everything up.

Makes a nice mount that will fit the standard PeeWee firewall mounting holes.  The only thing is that the screw heads holding the backplate to the case still protrude a bit.  So, either make recesses in your firewall for the screw heads (what I prefer), or use spacers on your mounting screws when you mount the engine.

That’s how I plan to do it from now on.

The Re-Purposing Mark
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:00 pm

Mark (batjac), that is a very practical way to re-use this engine to fit Pee Wee mounting in models. I guess one could also mimick the mount bolt pattern for the Tee Dee .020 by drilling two holes, one on each side. The greater capacity of an external tank really extends flight making this a really useful engine. (Reminds me of Sir Toppem's statement in Thomas the Tank Engine, LOL. Smile ) St.Pats Beers

GallopingGhostler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:55 pm

I have a .020 with a Ryan PT mount. It is a much cleaner looking mount and easier to install on the nose than a helicopter mount. Both the Ryan and helicopter mounts work well though.

Ron

Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale on Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:45 am

Cribbs74 wrote:I have a .020 with a Ryan PT mount. It is a much cleaner looking mount and easier to install on the nose than a helicopter mount. Both the Ryan and helicopter mounts work well though.

Ron

Now that one really looks the part! Where might I get one of them? If they're too hard to get, where can I get one of those helicopter backplates from? The red one looks the best to me.
dinsdale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:12 am

Cribbs74 wrote:I have a .020 with a Ryan PT mount. It is a much cleaner looking mount and easier to install on the nose than a helicopter mount. Both the Ryan and helicopter mounts work well though.

Ron

I had forgotten about those Ron! An old RCG "For Sale" ad stated in it's description that the Army-Trainer was only produced from 1969-70 and that a major design drawback, is that the wing was "glued-on".. unlike it's rubber-band saddled big brother. The photos below show "pins" on the fuse near the wing's L/E though..  Huh... I suppose there would have been problems with the pushrod bending.. seeing that the bell-crank is wing-mounted.

(RCG photo)

How does that back-plate "needle".. as compared to the tanked engine? (more/same/less touchy?)

Did any of the RTF's have a Pee Wee tanked engine.. or did they all use a similar plastic back-plate?
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:05 am

Thanks Mark I have one of those heli. engines and was wondering how I could use it , got it at a swap meet 2-3 yr. ago $ 10--- Heck that red one looks good but only one yr. in production is going to be tough to find and $$$ I have seen a few on the bay if you keep looking can pick up cheap. Eric Shocked
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac on Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:10 am

I've wanted one of those PeeWee backplates, but they are always too expensive on eBay. I've not seen that style, but I've seen the early Pitts style two or three times on eBay. Cheaper to get the heli engines and modify them.

The Frugal Mark
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top