Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Cox_ba12

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane

Go down

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Empty Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane

Post  Sig Skyray Thu May 14, 2015 9:51 am

Over the weekend I picked up a brand new in the box Cox Cessna 182 Skylane, 36" wingspan, RC two channel complete with radio kit/servos, etc.  Never run, never assembled.  Not sure if I'll keep it in the box, sell it or build and fly.  Date on bottom of box is 1989. Has the Cox .049 QRC engine.  Nice find, it would be hard to fly or sell !  Son wants to fly it of course. Huh...

**IDEA**
After seeing the first reply below I thought I'd set up a poll but don't see how to do that on the forum. If you read this post, please post a reply with your opinion of: Sell, Hold or Fly, and maybe a short reason why.  "Hold" would be to keep it in the box and not build it, or I could build it but not fly it, using it as a display piece.  Once it fuels and flies, it loses it's "New In Box" status and highest value. i bought it significantly under value so there is a significant dollar gain to be realized. (Of course if I had more of it though [$], this wouldn't be a choice  Very Happy )  It's ultimately a personal decision but some perspective would be appreciated.

Thank you!!

Greg
Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Cessna10
Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Cessna11
Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Cessna12

Last edited by Sig Skyray on Thu May 14, 2015 8:26 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited post topic)
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Empty Fly it!

Post  706jim Thu May 14, 2015 12:05 pm

Yes, you could probably sell it and make a few $ but it would be far more fun to see it in the air.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Empty Re: Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane

Post  rsv1cox Thu May 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Were it mine, my first inclination would be to just put it away and keep it. I wouldn't assemble and fly it as todays foam models are much more advanced, cheaper too although electric power.

Assemble and gas it up and it's lost it's value and uniqueness. But as always it's a personal decision.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Empty Re: Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane

Post  Mark Boesen Thu May 14, 2015 3:29 pm

hmmm, i'm the guy that always thinks we need to save all the mint old stuff, but it's from the 80's, not 50's or 60's. i would surf ebay and see what they're bringing and compare it to what a new arf would cost, Personally i would have no attachment to it and don't see the value in keeping it.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu May 14, 2015 6:30 pm

With this model - once I had looked at it, I wouldn't devalue it by flying it and wouldn't keep it unless it had some personal nostalgia value.

I would use the sale to buy a better flying trainer and pass this on to a collector.

In the UK, I would also be reluctant to use an old non 2.4ghz DSM radio for fear of interference.

We are all different - I collect engines that I don't use but build, buy and fly anything! I have no shelf queen aeroplanes.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu May 14, 2015 8:20 pm

I would recommend selling it. Like you indicated, you can make a few bucks more as a "NIB"! Unless you are a collector, and have space to display it, it won't do any good as a shelf or closet queen, offer it up to those willing to pay what it's worth and you'll have rent money, food for the kids, or cash for the next project that you want more than this one!!

That's my opinion, if you don't like it, I have others... lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Empty Fly That Darn Thing

Post  NEW222 Thu May 14, 2015 9:01 pm

Well, it is a toss up. I used to like to collect/hoard these types of things until 'life' happened. I now wish I had never met 'life', but it is a double edged sword. Back then, before coming back to reality, I liked to buy and collect. It did look nice, but it never looked happy sitting on a shelf. After my return, I now have a different outlook. These things were meant to fly. So be it if it was once or twice, or even 100 times. That is where it was meant to be.

This is solely my opinion.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu May 14, 2015 9:45 pm

Hmm if it were me, I would check out it's value and possibly sell it, I had one of these back while I was in high school and it is a decent flier however it is NOT be best trainer. Since it's NIB it could bring a nice penny but like everyone here mentioned, it's your decision. If you elect to assemble and fly it, one of the first things I recommend before you do anything, is to change out the radio, the Cox Cadet 2 channel while it's a nice piece of Cox nostalgia is an old 72MHz AM system and is susceptible to interference. A new 2.4 system would be a lot more reliable and much easier to learn than the left and right, right hand and up and down left hand setup (with all the years of experience flying RC I've never been able to fly those systems and here i am an instructor lol) The second thing is unless you have RC experience, I would find someone who has RC experience that could help you get in the air and use a more modern trainer to learn on before you attempt to fly this little gem you will come out a whole lot better. If I were closer to ya I would be glad to help ya out. Hope this helps man and good luck on what ever decision you make! Smile (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 14, 2015 10:14 pm

Fly it.

We all die, me personally I am going to do as much as I can with the stuff I have in the time that I have.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu May 14, 2015 10:49 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Fly it.

We all die, me personally I am going to do as much as I can with the stuff I have in the time that I have.

That is a great statement. As I posted just before, I used to collect and hoard then put on the shelf. After my ordeal was over and I got back to reality, I agree to use it and abuse it! Or in laymans terms, fly it like you stole it! If not, you may regret it some day. At least I can now go to bed knowing I had fun..... except for tonight. Rained all dam day and night. Looking for the same all weekend too.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri May 15, 2015 12:19 am

I have a similar dilemma with the COX Fokker tri-plane that I have almost bought whenever it shows up on ebay: it is just beautiful, but

• I do not fly CL (at least not since the 1970-s) but RC only,
    and would not want to fuel and start it up just to keep it in mint condition for my own pleasure.
    But then why to own one?

Back to Greg's original question, I would probably replace the receiver to a 2,4GHZ design, assemble and fly it.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri May 15, 2015 2:43 am

How much are these things worth anyway? I mean COX "almost-rtf" RC-kits in general, and are there some models that are especially rare or desirable? I see them for sale on Ebay every now and then, a lot of them have a high asking price and 0 bids when I see them. Then I forget to follow up on them.

Reason I am asking is that I have heard rumors about a few kits laying around in a place nearby (this same Cessna and a motor glider, possibly others), not dirt cheap but not outrageously expensive either, maybe €130...150 a piece or so. Old stock of a hobby shop. I think the same way of these as New222, Cribbs, Balogh and many others, I don't feel the desire to own something that I "shouldn't" use, assemble or even handle, hence I haven't looked into this lead yet. But I understand if someone else would want these in a bad way, and would not mind helping a collector out. Not even looking for making a (huge) profit either Wink
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri May 15, 2015 7:55 am

Damn if you can find someone that will pay this then SELL >>>> http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Cox+New+QRC+.049+Cessna+182+Skylane&_sacat=0 Follow that led and if you don't like it fly that sucker with the improvements above Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri May 15, 2015 8:12 am

I would put it away. 20 years will fly by and you will have a collectors item.It will alwys be worth more than you payed,but will more tan likly increase in value RC Plane
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Mon May 18, 2015 9:56 am

First, thanks for the perspectives guys.  Most of you are older than I and I value your take on all things aeronautically (and aerodynamically) related.

I'm still cogitating, but now leaning.  The profit margin does impact the decision because something we oft fail to consider is opportunity cost.  I not only have to decide the if's, what's and when's of the current decision, but more importantly, what I could do with the profits along the lines of the same hobby.  It's likely the profits could purchase something of greater current value.

I'll update again later.  There are 2 recent sales on eBay for the same model without the radio set.  I se no sales at all with the plane and radio set.  What good is the bird without the guidance system?  Having a pre-packaged, new, factory-matched servo and radio set adds a lot of value, even though it's old technology.  It should fly just fine at a field without more powerful radios flying at the same time.

If money were no object, I'd keep it.  I have a boy and there are things in the hobby we'd like to have so there are opportunities to spend the profits somewhere else.

I'm not laboring the decision, just pondering.  No hurries, no worries!  Talk soon!  Thanks.
Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon May 18, 2015 1:36 pm

I'm going to put up one of the possible reasons on why some of the sellers are selling this model without the radio system. The Cox Sawana 2 channel system while good for its time and will still work is an old 72MHz AM system which today is susceptible to interference from other scorces as well as other RC systems and would be unsafe to use The airborne AM 72MHz systems has about all been phased out of use today and while still legal for use, alot of flying fields are or have disallowed their use (like my club for example) also the Cox system's stick setup is not the easiest to use as well. so the model if bought for flying would be better off with out the Cox 2 channel. The available micro flight packs of the new 2.4G systems IE receiver, servos, switch harness and on board Battery if for non electric are much lighter and better suited for the Cessna and it's available power than the bulkier flight pack of the Cox system and would allow for better flights. plus the new transmitters are much easier to use as well with the Rudder and elevator controls on one stick instead of two so for flight the model is worth more than it is with the old included system. Now for collectors the whole setup would be worth something which is probably why you may not be seeing the whole setup they might be going quick. Maybe offer the Radio up separately (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:36 am

Hey guys.

Thanks for all the great perspectives. It's not a complicated matter, and it is one of personal opinion, but some things were brought forward that I had not considered. I've made a decision.

I'm not a collector. I do have some RC's so frankly, flying this 2-channel isn't going to give me a lot of joy or challenge. I think I'd rather see it go to someone who can cherish it's New In Box condition and watch it grow in value as it adds to their collection. I know it's not a highly prized possession or extremely rare and valuable find but I'm sure there are many who would enjoy having the new model to display or keep in the box... more than I would. And of course if the buyer chooses to build-n-fly, so be it. He'll be enjoying it for the price he paid.

So the perspective I'm taking is... what utility can the profits bring me in the sport of model airplanes to enjoy with my son, now? I'm going to leverage this buy and transform it into something I can enjoy much more. Like maybe a couple more kits, some modeling tools, a high perf. engine or 2, etc.

Thanks! This forum has been a tremendous resource for me in the short time I've been a part of it and I hope someday I can give back and be a value-giving contributor.

Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Empty Cox QRC Cessna 182 Skylane

Post  Bill steklenski Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:34 pm

This is Really a Attractive Airplane, I would be tempted to want to Fly it. I have watched these planes on Ebay for quite a while but the pricing is just out of the question. Would You trade it for a Cox Car? It seems to me that if anyone could fly a Hobbyzone super Cub that this plane would be just as easy, Also, I have been using the Dragon Fly .049 Cylinders with the Maximum Dual Bypass for more power. It would be different to fly this plane today as we are all use to brushless motors with speed controllers. I imagine on a calm day if the needle valve was cranked up for max RPMs This plane would fly nice for maybe a good five or ten minutes. Of Course, it also would be a wonderfull display Model, You decide! If any of You Guys Decide that you would like to sell one let me know. Bill Steklenski, Cox Action Power!!!! Small Cox Logo
Bill steklenski
Bill steklenski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:56 pm

Bill steklenski wrote:                                                                              This is Really a Attractive Airplane, I would be tempted to want to Fly it. I have watched these planes on Ebay for quite a while but the pricing is just out of the question. Would You trade it for a Cox Car?  It seems to me that if anyone could fly a Hobbyzone super Cub that this plane would be just as easy, Also, I have been using the Dragon Fly .049 Cylinders with the Maximum Dual Bypass for more power. It would be different to fly this plane today as we are all use to brushless motors with speed controllers. I imagine on a calm day if the needle valve was cranked up for max RPMs This plane would fly nice for maybe a good five or ten minutes.  Of Course, it also would be a wonderfull display Model, You decide!  If any of You Guys Decide that you would like to sell one let me know. Bill Steklenski,   Cox Action Power!!!!  Small Cox Logo

Yes I would sell it Bill. I just put it on eBay and will PM you.

Thanks. Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Empty Remember Reggie

Post  jsraider Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:16 pm

I recently bought one off my neighbor, of course it is not nearly even the mint shape yours is. Looking at your model makes me think I should probably get mine into flying state. Nowadays we have electric planes every bit as fast and easy to fly. If you kept it in it's box the real value is only to those who know or care what it is and what it represented. Of course I think about Reggie Jackson, who had a great collection of classic muscle cars. His shop burned down and took most of this collection with it, gone were some priceless cars never to be seen or enjoyed again by anyone. Tough decisions for anyone.
jsraider
jsraider

Back to top Go down

Cox New QRC .049 Cessna 182 Skylane Empty I've got back in to it to...fly!

Post  agbiv Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:24 am

I've recently got back into CL stuff. Not interested in collecting anything I won't fly. Were I to have a GREAT DEAL I'd purchase to sell it at a profit to feed current hobby. I have way too much stuff anyway and wifie would never have it out for display. Sell it to a collector at a premium since it's NIB and complete. Buy a couple of engines and build some balsa kits with the kiddo (s). Collect fun memories--not dust on the shelf. Babe Bee .049
agbiv
agbiv
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:39 pm

jsraider wrote:I recently bought one off my neighbor, of course it is not nearly even the mint shape yours is. Looking at your model makes me think I should probably get mine into flying state. Nowadays we have electric planes every bit as fast and easy to fly. If you kept it in it's box the real value is only to those who know or care what it is and what it represented. Of course I think about Reggie Jackson, who had a great collection of classic muscle cars. His shop burned down and took most of this collection with it, gone were some priceless cars never to be seen or enjoyed again by anyone. Tough decisions for anyone.

Aww, I remember that "Great" loss of priceless Corvettes. Keepin' Track of Corvettes magazine had a story and pictures of the burnt crispy remains, listed Year, model and HP. Man, what a loss that was. Sad Always wondered how well the insurance co paid out to cover his loss.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down