Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running Cox_ba12

Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Today at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Today at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Today at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Today at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Today at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running Empty
Live on Patrol

Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running

Go down

Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running Empty Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running

Post  NEW222 Fri May 29, 2015 8:40 pm

It's me again. I am posting this here as this question will be for both Cox engines, and my loan-a-diesel engine. I will definitely build 2 tanks, one for nitro and one for diesel. But anyways, the tanks I have started building are rectangular in shape. Approximate dimensions are 1" x 1" x 2" (one inch square by 2 inches long). But I was wondering how best to plumb these things for bench running. Basically, how best to situate the fuel pick-up tubes for a SUCTION feed. They are made of heavier tin that will not be used in a plane, so that is no problem. Thank you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running Empty Re: Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running

Post  TDbandit Fri May 29, 2015 9:01 pm

For bench running it's best to make the tank re-positionable different engines will have different demands usually a good rule of thumb is to position the fuel feed of the tank as close to inline with the NVA as possible and the tank close to the engine to make it easier for the engine to draw fuel on suction, for hotter engine like a Tee Dee, AME/Norvel with the big venturi you can elevate the tank to a point where it will syphen to help feed these hotter engines this is just an example. I just run either a syringe housing for my TD's or a 3/4 oz hard tank for my other 1/2a stuff and a plain ol Sullivan 1 oz slant RC tank for my 074 through 15, 6 oz for 25 through 50 and so on all these tanks are on adjustable mounts. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running Empty Re: Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running

Post  roddie Fri May 29, 2015 11:42 pm

Hey New, If you're bench-running reed-valve engines.. they draw fuel very reliably. Just have your pick-up at the lowest point in the tank.. and vent it for filling. A standard size air intake in my experience.. runs fine on an external tank. Diesel Bee's are said to be decent runners.. compared to the Tee Dee/rotary-valve engine.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat May 30, 2015 9:07 am

Hi New222 , here are some images of setups that may bee helpful , keep us informed . https://www.google.com/search?q=building+uniflow+fuel+tank&biw=1280&bih=577&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=T8NpVfrWCYfioATI24P4Bw&ved=0CCQQsAQ&dpr=1.25
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:44 pm

Ok. So, I just finished off this damn thing for bench running the diesel engine in loan. I was just wondering if you think this will work. Yes, it is ugly and heavy, but it is just for running an engine on the bench. I have attached a line drawing and 2 pictures of the finished product. Details are as follows.
Lower straight tube goes from front to approximately 3/16" from the rear wall. The other tube out the top is bent for filling and ends approximately 1/2 way down from top to bottom. Just for filling. I will make a better and nicer tank shortly when I can hit the store for more tubing. As well, smaller too. Thanks.

Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running Snapshot_20150602

Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running Snapshot_20150602_2

Building A Fuel Tank For Bench Running Snapshot_20150602_1
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:48 pm

Oh, and if time permits, I will be buying a tank this weekend. There is no guarantee I will even use this one at all either. Just a learning experience as well. I just know that I have to place the pick-up at the right height.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:56 pm

That'll be fine NEW.

Perhaps solder a couple of tabs either side so you can screw it down onto the bench firmly.
If it's rattling around it will tend to foam the fuel.
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:18 pm

Ok. Good idea, thank you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down