Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tank building Cox_ba12

Tank building Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Simple Gliders
by getback Today at 7:13 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by getback Today at 6:24 am

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by getback Today at 6:23 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tank building Empty
Live on Patrol

Tank building

Go down

Tank building Empty Tank building

Post  ian1954 Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:36 am

This post may get a little confusing as it includes a few hints on what to do and at first sight - a successful build turned into an abject failure!

Why build your own? To maximise the space available, end up with pipes where to want them and how you want them.

I needed this tank to proceed with building the KK Radian so that I can continue the "Cox Flight Contest". The tank is a prerequisite for building the fuselage.

Here it started. Careful measurement - just cut a length of card and bend it to shape.

Tank building Radian11

Then cut a strip of brass. Easy peezy so far!

Tank building Radian12

Use the bent bit of card as a template

Tank building Templa10

The carcass is ready to test fit

Tank building Radian13

Now ready for soldering. I had used all my resin cored soft solder and so went to buy some more. You can only get "lead free" soft solder and I thought it wouldn't matter.

Tank building Radian14

Butt joints with a fillet as usual

Tank building Radian15

File and grind the edges, soak in citric acid to clean ............. et voila!

Tank building Radian16

Even though I say it myself - it looks impressive but ..................

I tested it and it leaked like a sieve. Blocked off all except one tube, attached fuel pipe and blew into it under water. Bubbles everwhere! I have never experienced leaks on this scale before!

I resoldered and on the next test the bubbles, lots of them came from different places! I suddenly realised the this solder wasn't up to the job!

The original solder I used had a noticeable difference between the heat needed to melt the fresh solder and to re melt soldered joints. Here there was little difference. I also had trouble tinning the joints. The solder preferred to blob rather than flow to an even layer.

The result of my efforts to cure leaks.

Tank building Tankdi10

DISASTER!!!! This was a couple of hours thrown away. Not amused!

To be continued ..............................................
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Tank building Empty Re: Tank building

Post  ian1954 Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:37 pm

After the last disaster, I adopted another technique by folding over the edges to increase the soldered area rather than rely on butt joints.

This is not my preferred method for tank building as, although the result is stronger, it adds a little more weight and is time consuming.

Started by building the carcass (as before but a more complex shape) and then cutting out the sides following the shape of the carcass but a little larger.

Roughly folding over the edges ready for the next step.

Tank building Sig_hu16

Then I use Polymorph - it is a granualar plastic after placing in hot water can be moulded and shaped. It sets solid as it cools.

Tank building Sig_hu17

I use this to fill the carcass

Tank building Sig_hu18

and then slice it flush

Tank building Sig_hu19

By filling the cracass, it can be used the neaten the folded edges with a little hammer and then they can be filed neatly ready for soldering with a nice tight fit.

When this is finished, the carcass is popped in hot water and the Polymorph push out (it can be reused many times)

Tank building Sig_hu20

This time I only inserted one tube to test for leaks. After tinning, all that should be required is a slight pressure to make a good joint with minimal filling.

Another disaster - bubbles everywhere which no amount of resoldering cured.

How annoyed was I?  Extremely!!!!!!!! Now many hours buidling a tank. The time should have been measured in minutes!

This is what the tank looked like when I gave up with it - Well not exactly! It is a pink colour because I threw it in the citric acid and left it there over night!

Tank building Tankdi11

Today, I started again - I need this tank to start the Radian build!

This time - butt joints - and silver solder. Expensive solder but 40 minutes start to finish.

The new "lead free" soft solder I bought has ben cast aside. It is definitely not for tanks!

There were no leaks on testing

Tank building Sig_hu21

and a perfect fit!

Tank building Sig_hu22
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Man you do some beautiful and impressive work.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Dang Ian! Talk about perseverance!

Good job, I find brass hard to solder. I do use rosin core flux and lead solder, I have to get the brass very clean and quite hot for it to flow. I also use paste flux as well.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:56 pm

Needed more volume did you?

Impressive is the truth.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Beautiful work. If you are able to go a little hotter I bet brazing could be really effective. I have never brazed copper or brass before but it looks like it should work depending on what kind of stick you use. That tank looks beautiful!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Tank building Empty very nice !

Post  chubbyellowcat Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:01 pm

i'm knew too this....what brand of "silver soder" are you using and where can I get it ? thanks for the illusttrations Smile
chubbyellowcat
chubbyellowcat
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:36 pm

chubbyellowcat wrote:i'm knew too this....what brand of "silver soder" are you using and where can I get it ?  thanks for the illusttrations Smile
I use Easy-flow silver solder - I have a stock of it but it has Cadmium in it and is no longer sold.

I always bought my solder from www.cupalloys.co.uk .

For tanks you can use soft solder but make sure it is not lead free.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:55 pm

That's what I want to learn how to do. I'm an expert at electronics soldering, but have no experience with this sort of project. What about 60/40 rosin core solder, would it work, or would I be wasting my time by not going with silver solder?

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:13 am

Rusty, 60/40 is all I ever used and I used paste flux in addition. I do however solder my pipes inside and out including end caps. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:13 pm

60% tin and 40% lead will be OK.

I was struggling with the lead free which is why, in this case, I silver soldered.

It is difficult to find anything that isn't lead or cadmium free in the UK but, last week, I managed to track down Tin 62%, Lead 36%, Silver 2%. It melts at 179 deg C, flows and "tins" nicely and will be ideal for tank building.

Silver soldering needs a bit of practice - the minimum temperature is 610 deg C and it doesn't gap fill.

If you normally solder wires and electrical components and only have a sub 25watt iron - it would be better to step up to a 60 watt.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:11 pm

ian1954 wrote:60% tin and 40% lead will be OK.

I was struggling with the lead free which is why, in this case, I silver soldered.

It is difficult to find anything that isn't lead or cadmium free in the UK but, last week, I managed to track down Tin 62%, Lead 36%, Silver 2%. It melts at 179 deg C, flows and "tins" nicely and will be ideal for tank building.

Silver soldering needs a bit of practice - the minimum temperature is 610 deg C and it doesn't gap fill.

If you normally solder wires and electrical components and only have a sub 25watt iron - it would be better to step up to a 60 watt.
Hi Ian, Thanks for linking me to this thread for my tank build. I had read it previously a while ago. There are since; some new comments/questions/answers that I find VERY Helpful.

As you know; Lead-free solder is for Plumbers... who have to use it by law, in potable water systems... it has no other practical use IMHO...

I have the 60/40 solder (.031") and also the 62/36/2 (2 being Silver... in .022" dia.) both are rosin-core. I also have x5 one-pound spools of "Kester 24-6337-7601" (63/37... in .031"/.8mm dia.) that I got out of the recycle-bin at work, when the company went in compliance with ROHS requirements. Here's some specs on it.

http://www.janelonline.com/kester-wire-no-clean-cored-solder-sn63pb37-p/kester-24-6337-7601.htm

So.. I have lots of "soft-solder" options. I recently bought a tin of "Rubyfluid" petroleum-based paste-flux. It is stated to be superior for soldering Brass, Copper, Tin, Steel and Stained-Glass work... and also states NOT for electrical use. Do you have any experience with it?

Thanks again Ian,

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:45 pm

roddie wrote:
ian1954 wrote:60% tin and 40% lead will be OK.

Hi Ian, Thanks for linking me to this thread for my tank build. I had read it previously a while ago. There are since; some new comments/questions/answers that I find VERY Helpful.

As you know; Lead-free solder is for Plumbers... who have to use it by law, in potable water systems... it has no other practical use IMHO...

I have the 60/40 solder (.031") and also the 62/36/2 (2 being Silver... in .022" dia.) both are rosin-core. I also have x5 one-pound spools of "Kester 24-6337-7601" (63/37... in .031"/.8mm dia.) that I got out of the recycle-bin at work, when the company went in compliance with ROHS requirements. Here's some specs on it.

http://www.janelonline.com/kester-wire-no-clean-cored-solder-sn63pb37-p/kester-24-6337-7601.htm

So.. I have lots of "soft-solder" options. I recently bought a tin of "Rubyfluid" petroleum-based paste-flux. It is stated to be superior for soldering Brass, Copper, Tin, Steel and Stained-Glass work... and also states NOT for electrical use. Do you have any experience with it?

Thanks again Ian,

Roddie
Ruby fluid is ideal - especially for tinning brass or tin. It is slightly acidic which is why it isn't recommended for electrical work. The solder runs more freely with Ruby Fluid and you get a thinner layer and use less solder.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:28 pm

Thank You again Ian... That's what I was hoping for. I've been dragging my feet doing research... Reading to the point where I have holes in my shoes. Your "5 minutes; to finish my tank(s)"... will take me 5 HOURS! Wink

the "procrastinating" Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down