Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Cox_ba12

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Empty
Live on Patrol

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues...

Go down

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Empty Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues...

Post  Kim Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Got an old American Aircraft Modeler magazine somewhere, with a photo article on the 1960's
Smithsonian Museum's 'back shed' storage of dusty projects; a Fieseler Storch with rotted
fabric, a banged up, dust covered Me 262, and assorted other airframes that are now restored
and parked in the main museum or on loan to others.

My shop has that feel right now, a hodgepodge of dusty, beat-up airframes, finally getting some TLC, albeit with the added charm of the aroma of old fuel soaked balsa, airplane glue, and dope.  As each project hits a 'drying or curing' stage, the next one get's it's turn.

My Lazy Bee has been parked for a year, after being swatted off my work bench (did sort of a classic Chevy Chase skit...repeatedly grabbing at it and only knocking it farther away until we ran out of table).  The Bee landed hard, shattering it's delicate, laminated-bow frame rudder.  There was just no repairing the crumbled bow to take the pull of it's covering fabric, leaving only the option of making a new one.  I GOT to be DEEP in the mood to do proper work on Andy Clancy's little gem so, the Bee was parked.

But I finally dug the Official Clancy Aviation Lazy Bee Builder's Book from the moldy archives, and set out to duplicate me a rudder.  The bow is the most labor intensive so it came first.  I got me some new
Elmer's glue, hot-soaked some strips of 1/16th" x 1/8" balsa in a plastic tube a golfer guy gave me a long time ago, started getting crafty.  Andy LOVES laminations...the rudder bow is laminated, the rudder spar is laminated, along with the rudder's base.  The rudder's ribs are 1/16th" x 1/2" balsa slats that are bent around the spar and glued to the bow...Old School Style.

Once physically assymbled, the thing takes a lot of sanding/shaping all around, so no balsa-petrifying CA...only sandpaper-friendly Elmer's and some of the last reserves of my precious Ambroid cement.

Gonna also try to save and transfer the Lazy Bee logos that were laser-printed onto scraps of Lite Span back in 1994 or so.

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... 3_15

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... 1_19

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... 2_13
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mud Dabber's radio got re-checked with a bit of throw adjustment all around, and I was unable to help myself, on a slow afternoon, from adding a few stickers.  Wayne had given me several sheets, both water transfer and peel-off types, so the old Sig Mark I Kadet got dressed up a bit.  Thought I had some of the cigar-chomping woodpecker that was mandatory on all Hot Rods in the 1960's, but couldn't find him.

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... 1_21

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... 3_17

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... 2_14

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Ken Willard design 'Pool Boy' was also pulled from the cobwebs.  Named 'The Eyes of the Fleet' in honor of the early float planes that were catapulted from battleships and used as spotter aircraft, it was in pretty sorry shape (War Weary), but it's wings are now recovered and almost ready for color dope, and it's fuselage has been 'roughed up' to recieve a new layer of tissue.

Once test flown with a more benign castor-slinger, it's mission will be to accomodate 'The Worlds Smallest Traveling Engine', when the micro powerplant arrives at the Skunk Works.

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... 1_16

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... 210

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... 1_22

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... 1_23

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... 2_16

So, likely to have some action up here on the hill, once these rain showers move on to harass my eastern states buds !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Empty Re: Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues...

Post  NEW222 Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:31 pm

Good job. I really like the Lazy Bee, as I have one on the table for the past 2 years needing only electronics installation and covering the fuselage. The rest is already covered. Also, I really like your 'Pool Boy' model. I think it looks neat. Can't wait for the finished product.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Empty Re: Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues...

Post  Kim Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:48 pm

NEW222 wrote:Good job. I really like the Lazy Bee, as I have one on the table for the past 2 years needing only electronics installation and covering the fuselage. The rest is already covered. Also, I really like your 'Pool Boy' model. I think it looks neat. Can't wait for the finished product.

Man...get that BEE covered! You won't regret it! Mine has been flown off snow, water, and some crazy tight fields!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:28 pm

I don't know why, but I love the look of freshly applied silkspan. Many times I have hated to dope over the stuff.

I would think that a lot of higher math went into calculating the positioning of those restraints on the LB vertical stab Kim. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:58 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I don't know why, but I love the look of freshly applied silkspan.  Many times I have hated to dope over the stuff.  

I would think that a lot of higher math went into calculating the positioning of those restraints on the LB vertical stab Kim.  Smile

Yeah, I like the way natural silkspan looks too...but man...try NOT color doping it and watch your friends jump on you!
I built this Jetco PA-15 Cabin Cruiser way back in the early 80's, and just added blue trim to finish it. Caught a bunch of good-natured grief from my buds, who were 'concerned' that I might have financial problems and couldn't afford color dope !!

I thought it looked good though!

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Pa-12411

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Pa-12210

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Pa-12310

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:17 pm

Thinned clear Kim....thinned clear.... Smile Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:55 am

Kim wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:I don't know why, but I love the look of freshly applied silkspan.  Many times I have hated to dope over the stuff.  

I would think that a lot of higher math went into calculating the positioning of those restraints on the LB vertical stab Kim.  Smile

Yeah, I like the way natural silkspan looks too...but man...try NOT color doping it and watch your friends jump on you!
I built this Jetco PA-15 Cabin Cruiser way back in the early 80's, and just added blue trim to finish it.  Caught a bunch of good-natured grief from my buds, who were 'concerned' that I might have financial problems and couldn't afford color dope !!

I thought it looked good though!

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Pa-12411

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Pa-12210

Model Airplane Salad...The Building/Restoring Surge Continues... Pa-12310

Simple yet looks very nice. I like it.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:34 am

I've finished many models in clear. I like it myself. When I desire color I use Jap tissue doped onto the silkspan with several coats of clear over it. In the event of a repair, I have softened the tissue decos by brushing on straight thinner and removed them. I can re apply them onto the model once again. Unfortunately, the sun makes the Jap tissue fade badly. This is why I re use them due to not being able to match them with new material. My solution  is to throw rags over the plane if it will be sitting in the sun for a while. This is where Dave Brown Flex All also comes in handy as I found the clear to really become fragile and potato chip like. Dope today is certainly not like dope of yesteryear. I find myself needing to maintenance it more than I can recall in the past.

Speaking of the woodpecker logos, there was Mr.Horsepower and the Thrush woodpecker. I believe it was Mr Horsepower that chomped the cigar. This is one of the logos I forgot to mention when Larry did his Jumping Bean post and put the decals on his plane. The woodpecker was another one of my favorites. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:46 am

I've got to try that! I have some sheets of Japanese tissue squirreled away, but have never used it. Early on, we didn't know about the properties of various brands of dope or paint, but quickly found out that the mainstream Aerogloss wouldn't tolerate other types. It always seemed that anytime I messed with other brands, the result were...well tragic!

So now, I try to just use the expensive Brodak dopes, though some other brands might work.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:56 am

It's good to see someone is getting some building time in and there really looking nice , the old timers can take up some time but are real show stoppers when shown and flown . Looks like when you replenishing your fleet there will bee some serious air time going on . Seems I have been half way finishing everything and just coming to a stop point and not getting back to them , It's about time to put some of the life's stuff on the back burner and move on to some fun things since things haven't turned out the way I was hoping they would Mad  up and on wards . Very Happy Eric Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:25 am

True Words Eric !!!

'Life Stuff' got to be tended to...but there comes a time for it to be shoved aside and some 'Life Battery-Charging' done!

I can get going by taking on a little chip of the work to be done...something simple...a 15 minute task. Next thing I know, I got the compressor going, air hoses run out the door, and a locked & loaded paint gun begging for a target!

Hope you get some good stuff on the FRONT burner soon!

Balsa Dust Kim

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum