Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"



PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery


Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Workin' on my Whirly bird!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  TDbandit on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi all i know i haven't been very active as of late so here's a little tidbit on what i've been up too!

Meet my Align Trex 600N which is a .50 size RC helicopter it hasn't flown in a while. I've been wanting something to fly that's RC so when i'm not flying C/L I'll have something to bring to the field and I've been wanting to get it back running anyway so I took the chance and here it is, fixing to upgrade it to 2.4Ghz and some new servos along with a new pipe which is why I've got er apart. Power is the old but reliable OS .50SX Hyper which is still made BTW Enjoy! Sorry for the pic quality i had to dumb it down so my Internet wont crash out.
(Bandit)


Here's a top view, somewhat.
avatar
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 862
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 46
Location : Fort Valley Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  NEW222 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Nice Bird. What does the body look like? I had always liked helicopters, but did not venture into spending the dough. I do like the little Cox guys though....
avatar
NEW222
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 1088
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 39
Location : oakbank, mb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  TDbandit on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:47 pm

NEW222 wrote:Nice Bird. What does the body look like? I had always liked helicopters, but did not venture into spending the dough. I do like the little Cox guys though....
Just a standard pod and boom setup, basically a cowl. that covers the front I'll have a pic soon of it together.
avatar
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 862
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 46
Location : Fort Valley Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  NEW222 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:49 pm

Cool. I will be watching. Thanks.
avatar
NEW222
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 1088
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 39
Location : oakbank, mb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  Marleysky on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Whole wholly Hole-ly thems a lot of holes in that carbon fiber! ?
Looks like a lot of fun if your really into it. I've crashed about 2 billion dollars worth of HEli 's on my old real flight simulator....just couldn't get control of those little buggers.   You'll be needing a FAA number on that one for sure!  RC Plane
avatar
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 1420
Join date : 2014-09-28
Age : 65
Location : Grand Rapids, MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  TDbandit on Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Marleysky wrote:Whole wholly Hole-ly thems a lot of holes in that carbon fiber! ?
Looks like a lot of fun if your really into it. I've crashed about 2 billion dollars worth of HEli 's on my old real flight simulator....just couldn't get control of those little buggers.   You'll be needing a FAA number on that one for sure!  RC Plane
Yup unforchantly...I never though that i would have to register my models. >_< This is one of three heli's that I have.
(Bandit)
avatar
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 862
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 46
Location : Fort Valley Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  RknRusty on Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:17 pm

Mercy that's a complex bird. Anyone who can work on that, not to mention fly it like you do, gets my awe and respect. Maybe as a younger dude, I had the reflexes to learn to handle one, but now UP and DOWN no UP no Down no PULL OUT!... is about all I can handle.
Rusty

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
avatar
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10435
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 61
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  getback on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:02 am

Nice !! more than my old neck can handle not to mention flying , yes round and round up and down just a little Laughing good to hear from you TD Popcorn Eric
avatar
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4268
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 60
Location : julian, n.c.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  Kim on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 am

Man THAT'S some stuff !!  Never been involved with helicopters on this level, but it's great to see flying machines updated and reset to airworthiness!

Good Luck with that machine !!!

Thumbs and Brain Just Too Slow Kim
avatar
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

Posts : 5712
Join date : 2011-09-06
Location : South East Missouri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  larrys4227 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:48 am

The last week or so, I've been playing around with a little micro-heli .... Blade MSR.  I've had it about 10 years and fly it every so often in my garage .... its really a handful sometimes and can outfly me. Picked up some new batteries and been having some fun waiting for the winds to die down around here to get out and do some round-and-rounds ...

Apparently, there is a rather inexpensive helicopter that gets a ton of rave reviews ....  The WLToys V912 Brushless RTF.  For under 100.00 .... it is an amazing deal. More than twice the size of my MSR.  It cannot do 3D if your into that .... but parts and heli are available from US warehouses.  About the only thing that needs replacing is the brushed tail motor ... otherwise its rock solid and takes a beating.

I've always liked heli's .... grew up around them when I was young .... but the cost of ownership always kept me away.

I like Blade heli's ... specifically the 200SR .... but there are problems with multiple things according to RCGroups.  They can be fixed/upgraded, but by the time you think your done ... your already into it for several hundred dollars.

But, just about all the WLToys heli's get excellent reviews ....

I may just pop 86.00 after the holidays and get me one ...
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V912-4CH-Brushless-RC-Helicopter-With-Gyro-RTF-p-922661.html

avatar
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 338
Join date : 2015-07-23
Location : Lakeland, FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  TDbandit on Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:23 pm

larrys4227 wrote:The last week or so, I've been playing around with a little micro-heli .... Blade MSR.  I've had it about 10 years and fly it every so often in my garage .... its really a handful sometimes and can outfly me. Picked up some new batteries and been having some fun waiting for the winds to die down around here to get out and do some round-and-rounds ...

Apparently, there is a rather inexpensive helicopter that gets a ton of rave reviews ....  The WLToys V912 Brushless RTF.  For under 100.00 .... it is an amazing deal. More than twice the size of my MSR.  It cannot do 3D if your into that .... but parts and heli are available from US warehouses.  About the only thing that needs replacing is the brushed tail motor ... otherwise its rock solid and takes a beating.

I've always liked heli's .... grew up around them when I was young .... but the cost of ownership always kept me away.

I like Blade heli's ... specifically the 200SR .... but there are problems with multiple things according to RCGroups.  They can be fixed/upgraded, but by the time you think your done ... your already into it for several hundred dollars.

But, just about all the WLToys heli's get excellent reviews ....

I may just pop 86.00 after the holidays and get me one ...
http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V912-4CH-Brushless-RC-Helicopter-With-Gyro-RTF-p-922661.html

Nice, looks like it flies pretty good. If you get one I suggest that you make up a set of training gear. The co-axle heli's are one thing, but a conventional heli like the 200SR which is a full collective pitch heli are a whole different animal. The WLtoy model is a fixed pitch A sim is the best training aid for heli's and will pay for it's self in crashed parts. (Bandit)
avatar
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 862
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 46
Location : Fort Valley Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  andrew on Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:35 pm

I've got several heli's ranging from the little indoor Blade Scout up to the 450 sized.  I like working with the mechanics and tuning.  When the pile of broken parts reaches the size of the helicopter, then it's either time to commit and get in all the way or get out and save having to mortgage the house.

Unfortunately, with most of the heli's, it's hard to have even a little crash without breaking or bending something.  The real downside is repair almost always involves replacement of parts, unlike our fixed wing planes where we can get back into the air with some shop time and glue.

I, too, have stuck umpteen thousands of dollars of heli's in the ground on my Phoenix sim.  I've really struggled with pitch in inverted hover and trying to get my thumbs and the heli to move like I wanted.  I still don't have the skills (or cajones) to do any actual inverted flying anywhere near the ground.
avatar
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1223
Join date : 2011-08-11
Age : 70
Location : Western Kentucky

View user profile http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Re: Workin' on my Whirly bird!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum