Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

excessive oil consumption - Page 2 Cox_ba12

excessive oil consumption - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Simple Gliders
by getback Today at 7:13 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by getback Today at 6:24 am

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by getback Today at 6:23 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

excessive oil consumption - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

excessive oil consumption

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

excessive oil consumption - Page 2 Empty Re: excessive oil consumption

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:30 pm

I guess a slight hijack is ok as I know roddie got what he needed to decide

I bought this rural property 22 years ago and it has 2.5 acres needing constant upkeep

Too often I bought the cheap weed eaters, blowers, push mowers, and riders before I started paying attention to the contractors on Fort Hood doing work in similar (rocky) conditions with employees why do NOT treat the equipment well

Now I exclusively own Echo, Husqvarna, and John Deere commercial brand tools....not the home use variants

In defense of John Deere and THIS X320 heavy duty mower...the fault is with the Kawasaki engine, and from what I read on line in reviews, a head oil leak is not common at all...lots of carb and fuel pump issues...but no real oil loss issues

I use this machine in a very wide range of temperature conditions and I suspect one day I fired it up very cold and ran it to full throttle before the engine got up to operating temp... a killer on steel block / aluminum head engines no matter who makes them

John Deere's bad rap is coming from the T100 el chepo series of lawn mowers....been there done that and they do not hold up any better than a lower priced Murry....grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:50 pm

Now that Deere has a Kawasaki engine in it. That means that you can get your parts from anywhere that handles Kawasaki.

I have a Hustler zero turn I got from the local John Deere place (funny huh?) It is pretty nice, commercial grade, but it sucks on hills. I should have stayed with a tractor, but a big tractor is really expensive and I have 3 acres or so.

I get my stuff from the John Deere place since they know what they are talking about. I had an old 180 (c.1980), when the consumer line was good, and if I had a problem the people at the desk would call a tech up to talk to me if needed! I got good money for that old machine with all its problems when I let it go.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:22 pm

I have two JD mowers. The LX172 (kawasaki) is 20 years old and still is cutting grass. The other is a Z225 (Briggs & Stratton) zero turn that's 10 years old and runs perfect, fun to use too.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:44 pm

The first JD I bough was the home use version T150 and the tractor it self (while I hate the tranny) is pretty good and still starts every time (briggs powered)

The real problem is my yard grows rocks and tree roots, many times un seen until too late

I have completely wiped out the light weight mower deck a few times and it is a weird amalgam of welding and "beat back flat" metal with new mandrels and belts

This X230 I have has a much thicker materiel deck and giant mandrels and very thick blades and nothing I do bothers it at all
best thing I like is the light turning effort and the hydro tranny ...not true zero turn but dang near

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:20 pm

I'm glad that I inspired some conversation about engine reliability.. and since this is my thread.. I'll throw a diesel-curve into the mix with a pole..

Who do you like between Cat., Cummins and International for a 3/4 to 1 ton pick-up truck? (did I leave any out?)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:47 pm

First On Race Day; F O R D ! ! ! ! And Chevrolet's Duramax

There is no manufacturer using a Cat or Navastar diesel in a pickup truck, several years ago the Ford was a joint venture with Navastar
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:36 am

Mark Boesen wrote:First On Race Day; F O R D ! ! ! !  And Chevrolet's Duramax

There is no manufacturer using a Cat or Navastar diesel in a pickup truck, several years ago the Ford was a joint venture with Navastar

Found On Road Dead...................... Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:09 am

I am Ford brand loyal guy as my first car was a Falcon Ranchero with a high power 289 V8, Borg warner T10 4 speed, and 4.11:1 rear end

Over the years have owned many different brands as a frugal purchase (always angling for most bang for the buck)

I owned a F350 with the early Power Stroke 7.3L diesel and it was a maintenance pig cost wise but true stump pulling power

I dislike the Chrysler/Dodge brand but have to admit the Cummings diesel is a excellent power plane with a very good reliability record

Ford's 6 liter diesels were very problematic so my F250s and F350s got the V10 6.8L modular engine for a mere $510 up charge instead of the $5200 diesel option and I just recently traded the 2005 F350 4x4 King Ranch in on a 2016 MKC, my first ever Lincoln semi luxury SUV

My son has had a few of the Chevy trucks with their The Duramax, a General Motors diesel engine family for light to medium duty trucks, designed by GM and Isuzu. The 6.6-liter Duramax is produced by DMAX, a joint venture between GM and Isuzu in Moraine, Ohio

He loves them and has had very good luck in-spite of ignoring my counsel and adding in some chip changing the engine management. I have no idea how much HP and torque the engine now produces but I laugh at him each time he tells me the truck is in the shop for drive train or tyranny problems

If you have to have a diesel engine I personally think Dodge is hard to beat now that they seem to have fixed their crappy transmission]
The Chevy / GMC with Duramax and allison is also a good combination

Hate to say it but I doubt Ford will ever have a good Diesle
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:58 am

Here's 2010 test by Popular Mechanics:

excessive oil consumption - Page 2 54caa810
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:28 am

Let me drop some Eastern European flavor to this topic...Toyotas,world famous for their longevity and reliability in at least Europe, are known to be notorious oil devourers..just as I write this I remember having seen a 2015 Toyota emitting thick fumes out of its exhaust pipe..the oil rings on the pistons are said to be blamed.

I drove simple 1,6 litre VW cars some time back in the early 80's (a big-face thing here those days) with literally zero oil consumption between service intervals of 10k miles..then came the 90s with VW-s of oil consumption numbers comparable to those of Opels (European GM-s if you like)...a litre of oil in 1000km burnt in a new engine..

Ever since I drive higher  brass German diesel cars (you guys please do not take offense over the big pond) oil consumption is just an issue forgotten...20kmiles/30k km-s passed without any notable oil consumption between service intervals...

I think it all boils down to oil ring fitting tolerance, as well as methods of recirculating crank gasses to engine air intake....I do not see major differences in piston/cylinder fitting accuracy even if we talk cheap Far-Eastern scrap cars  and the like...sorry for the politically incorrect but technically thought-over statements...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:23 pm

balogh

zero apology needed for your observation

I spent 15 total years in Germany over 5  3 year tours and usually imported a car or truck  but on three of the tours got to own quite a few good and real bad euro market vehicles

Good used high mileage Mercedes and BMWs had no noticeable oil consumption issues and made me impressed with the fit and build of those brands

My 69 BMW Alpina 2002 Tii was a road warrior

On the other had I a new VW Golf GTI Tii that ate oil from day one, similar to all the used Folks Wagons I had previously bought even thought the VW beetles were air cooled and the GTI was water cooled

Still kicking myself for not importing a 1951 split window VW bug to the States...bought it for $100

My 1973 Ford Taunus with a V4 was probably the very best bang for the buck car I ever bought used and even with a screaming-engine at Autobahn speeds it ate no oil...I was 15th owner

I drove a number of used French cars and they all equally sucked...oil... LOTs OF OIL .... and in every other way imaginable....There, how is that for politically incorrect

By the time Mercedes Benz SMART cars came to the USA (I bought two in 2008) they got rid of the terrible MB engine and used a Mitsubishi 3 Cyl engine that was much more reliable, used no oil, and could last way beyond the MB rebuild at 80K typical.... i recently sold both with 100K+ on the odo and they were mechanically perfect

Just so some here may drool, I briefly owned a Ford Merkur-xr4ti that would hunt down and pass ANYTHING on the AutoBahn and traded it for a Nissan 300ZX twin Turbo euro spec that was much more sedate but still got me in gobs of Polizi trouble
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Well, we are stepping all over robbies thread, but like me on mine he doesn't seem to mind.  I just wish I had some imput on your diesels robbie but I have never owned one.

Nissan 300ZX twin Turbo euro spec that was much more sedate but still got me in gobs of Polizi trouble  Fred seems like you not only worked on the Wild Weasels you were one.  

Did you see American Pickers last night?  A barn find VW split went for $9K.  Original motor and all.  Took a fork lift to get it off the rafters.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:02 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Mark Boesen wrote:First On Race Day; F O R D ! ! ! !  And Chevrolet's Duramax

Found On Road Dead...................... Smile
Fix Or Repair Daily! Very Happy
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:11 pm

First On Race Day

Friggin Old rebuilt Dodge

Finest On Road Drive
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:20 pm

fredvon4 wrote:First On Race Day

Friggin Old rebuilt Dodge

Finest On Road Drive

Found On Road Dead.........
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:40 pm

ha ha ha, just in case you forgot what a ford looks like....

excessive oil consumption - Page 2 2016-f10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:11 pm

This is great! We're all into our rides.. past, present.. and wish-list! I'll get back to that in a minute...

Fred, I married into a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury dealer family in 1985, just as the American version Merkur XR4Ti was making the scene. They had a few in stock.. as well as the ASC Mercury McLaren Capris. Ford had some very cool cars at that time. The SHO Taurus was one of my favorites. I never owned one.. but had a 94 Taurus LX that was loaded. It was the most comfortable car I've ever owned. It had a comfortable cruising speed (for me..) of 80mph.. which I frequently did on weekend-trips to see a girlfriend who lived in Northampton, MA. It was an 85mi. trip which usually took me 1.5 hrs. Mine had the 3.0L engine rather than the 3.8L but it was a more dependable engine. The stereo was a factory AM/FM with cassette player. I used a Sony Disc-Man with a cassette-adapter to play my favorite driving music. I had quite the eclectic mix in my CD wallet.. Eagles, Dream Theater, Billy Joel, Basia, Earth Wind and Fire.. just to name a few.

Back to the "wish-list" of rides.. What can I say? There are quite a few. Realistically.. the average enthusiast should be able to acquire at least one motor-vehicle in their lifetime.. that was purchased purely for the thrill.. or fun of driving it. Practicality is secondary.. or even thirdary Laughing

My buddy George (God rest his soul) had been a mechanic since back in high school. In 1978 he bought a 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe. It wasn't much to look at.. but on gas-monkey wages he managed to build a pretty fast car.. for the strip. He built a 302 (5.0L) small-block Ford V8 with a healthy camshaft.. 750cfm Holley carb, exhaust-headers, double-roller timing chain.. 4-speed manual transmission with 4:11 gears in the 9" posi-traction rear axle. The rear tires/wheels were BIG and WIDE.. and they stuck-out of the fender-wells. The tires would scape the body when George turned a hard corner! Laughing We used to party in George's Mustang..  One of us had to drive one night that George was a little "under the weather"..  The car would barely idle with that big cam.. and it had a H/D racing clutch.. Poor George had his head out the back window and between yaks.. coughed "slow-down!".. before we were out of 1st gear! Regardless of it being his daily driver.. it was quick and would squat off the line at the track.. giving George 1/4mi. times in the low 11-second range as I remember.

If I had one vehicle to have custom-built.. it would probably be an off-road one. Something capable of dealing with the inevitable apocalypse "Mad-Max" world that's probably closer than we think.. (this is my thread right?) Laughing Some people build bunkers.. some get ammo'd-up.. I'd want a vehicle to move me and my loved ones the hell out quick away from an event.. bushwhacking.. hill climbing.. high ground clearance machine with gear and supply storage. Your getting a glimpse deep into Roddie's mind.. Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:04 am

I've never had a hot rod (my brother did, and loosing his license due to teenage hot rod stupidity turned me off on hot rods)  I have had some pretty good performing rides though, and did my fair bit of home grease monkeying.  

My favorite, and so far the only car I want back, was a 1986 Lebaron  hatchback, 5 speed manual, 2.5l inline 4, front wheel drive.  Light car, well balanced, drove "straight" even when skidding.  I have NEVER driven a better vehicle in the snow.  After putting a rebuilt, shaved head on due to a head gasket it was even nicer performing as long as I never fed it regular gas, had to be mid grade or premium.  (this drive line in an Omni whooped the Mustang of the same year range)

A related story that is now funny since it all worked out, and Dad is still healthy and with us.  The day I started taking the top of that engine apart was the day my Dad had his heart attack (about 1997).  What I didn't know was the hard headed creature, sometimes called Dad, started having his heart attack at 6am, and didn't go into the hospital till 11pm, after working a full day as a mechanic, and helping me take the top of my engine apart.  Well, while Dad was in the ICU I finished getting the head off and took the head gasket in, with its small but obvious tracing of a cylinder to water jacket leak.  Before long there are about 6 people, Doctors, nurses, radiologists, gathered around my head gasket which was slapped onto a light box for inspection!

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: