Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Recent engine acquisitions Cox_ba12

Recent engine acquisitions Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Recent engine acquisitions Empty
Live on Patrol

Recent engine acquisitions

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Recent engine acquisitions Empty Recent engine acquisitions

Post  KariFS Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:12 pm

Thought I'll offset some of my whining about the postage fees and lack of engine offering by showing off some stuff I've managed to acquire from various folks here in Finland.

In December I received at least two packages:

In the first one there was a Babe Bee, a red Horseshoe engine (with a #1 cylinder, yay) and a high-mileage Webra Speed 40 (I think) and also a bunch of glowplugs. These were free, I just covered the postage, €7,90 in Finland. These are from an estate, the guy who gave these to me had bought all of the model airplane stuff off the estate but didn't have use for these:

Recent engine acquisitions Image23

The Babe Bee cleaned up really nice, has better compression than some of my never-run ones, received 0 votes on the EOTM vote in January silent but I like it anyway:

Recent engine acquisitions Image25

Another fellow sent me this, and refused to accept even the postage:

Recent engine acquisitions Image24

The PET is covered in sticky castor but it has been a good preservative. This one obviously has run a bit but it looks perfect in every way.

This one I got in January, paid too much but it did have the thin wall #1 cylinder I needed to complete my '64 Silver Bee, and also a rubber spinner. I already swapped the cylinder and cleaned it up, it'll Bee installed to a "290 special" once I get it built first Smile This one got 1 vote (wasn't me) this month, quite an improvement lol!

Recent engine acquisitions Image26

Today I picked up these (locally), a TeeDee .051 , a Babe Bee , two glowheads (a 325 and a 1702) and two PAW 1,5cc diesels. The guy asked 75€ for the TeeDee and the PAWs, I offer him 60 for them, he took it, and for an additional 10€ he throws in the Babe and the glowheads. Not bad methinks, in Finnish standards anyway. Had a nice chat with the fellow in the process too. One of the PAWs is complete and never run, the other is missing the venturi and NVA but otherwise seems OK. Any info on the PAWs would be appreciated.

Recent engine acquisitions Image27

Also closed a deal on an NIB Enya 46BB RC today, might be too big for a C/L plane, no?

So it's not all bad over here after all I Love This Forum!

Last edited by KariFS on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Recent engine acquisitions Empty Nice pick-ups Kari!

Post  VUgearhead Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:55 pm

That is a nice set of purchases you have!

I'm working on my own 'steal' right now, but the shipment hasn't arrived yet. So keep your fingers crossed for me!
VUgearhead
VUgearhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Recent engine acquisitions Empty Re: Recent engine acquisitions

Post  RknRusty Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:17 pm

KariFS wrote:......Also closed a deal on an NIB Enya 46BB RC today, might be too big for a C/L plane, no?...
That Enya is probably a serious power plant. Better build a plane with about 700 squares Lol. Seriously, my Magnum was 72 ounces which I think is Supertigre 60 material, and I flew it with a converted R/C OS .46FX BB engine. It was a great match, but I needed concrete boots to pull out of an hourglass. lol!

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:53 am

Rusty, yes, the Enya should put out about 1.4 horsepower. I'll have to use a strap from my wrist to the handle and another from my waist to a concrete block to keep my a... um... self on the ground lol!

Where did you get the conversion parts for the OS?

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:40 am

KariFS wrote:Rusty, yes, the Enya should put out about 1.4 horsepower. I'll have to use a strap from my wrist to the handle and another from my waist to a concrete block to keep my a... um... self on the ground lol!

Where did you get the conversion parts for the OS?

Kari, it came to me that way, so I don't know. I do know there are many people who can turn a venturi out of aluminum bar stock, and size it for your preferred needle valve. Mine had a Supertigre NV. which is popular for stunt engines. A modeler with more Enya knowledge would know the proper venturi area and flow volume, so as to recommend a proper bore vs spraybar width.
Rusty

Me flying the Magnum,
hitching a ride: lol!
Recent engine acquisitions 51_bmp12

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:14 am

Nice Deals Man , Nothing wrong with buying In town /country + the shipping offset really makes it sweet !!! Just found out the guy in Germany I was sending the .020 to cant receive it because of some kind of restriction , I contacted eBay and told them I want my engine back and the global thing is hurting my business , she said they would get in touch with me and I want to find out WHY ! I am wondering if the hobbies #9 is a to strong a smell to pass the inspection ??? Eric Mad Crazy Eyes Back To Topic
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:04 pm

KariFS wrote:Thought I'll offset some of my whining about the postage fees and lack of engine offering by showing off some stuff I've managed to acquire from various folks here in Finland.

Hi Kari, I'll join the club. I don't think you have to buy that unique, rare or unobtainable engine or Cox engine or Cox related models from any overseas seller, as long as you have patience. Everything can be found at your doorstep; and at much lower cost.

My turn to give examples:

Jerobee Corvette: 50 EUR

Cox Gassers: 40 EUR

Cox Conquest: listed at EBay in France for a rather high "Buy it now" price but the seller accepted offers. As he had more than 1 for sale, I offered him less than half i.e. 60 EUR a piece including shipping but I'd buy 2 at once. Later I found out that 1 engine was prepared by Ron Young.

Lot of 3 cox 049, 2 Bees and a TD 051: The seller asked 30 EUR but I tried to haggle down to 25 EUR. He didn't accept so I had myself "ripped off" for 30 EUR.

Spook engine, came in a lot of engines containing also the Dragonfly mounted on my snowplane: peanuts

Last edited by OVERLORD on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:46 pm

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:53 am

getback wrote:Nice Deals Man , Nothing wrong with buying In town /country + the shipping offset really makes it sweet !!! Just found out the guy in Germany I was sending the .020 to cant receive it because of some kind of restriction , I contacted eBay and told them I want my engine back and the global thing is hurting my business , she said they would get in touch with me and I want to find out WHY ! I am wondering if the hobbies #9 is a to strong a smell to pass the inspection ??? Eric Mad Crazy Eyes Back To Topic

That's a bummer. I hear they have "sniffers" that pick up hazardous materials by smell to prevent terrorist attacks, maybe that was the reason?

Someone also told me that if you write "nitro airplane parts" to the shipping label, it'll bounce back right away. "Toy airplane parts" is a much safer description Smile

Hope Y'all get it sorted.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:18 am

Welcome to the club Lieven lol!

Those are some great deals and everyone else is welcome to post to this thread too. I'll update it also as I get more engines.

The engine offering over here in EU is a lot smaller than in the US but on the other hand there is less hobbyists too. It's all about supply and demand Smile

Last edited by KariFS on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:04 am

RknRusty wrote:
Me flying the Magnum,
hitching a ride: lol!

lol! Fortunately, so far, gravity has been on my side, even though I pretty much quit eating sweets plus cut back on alcohol and the associated snacks... Maybe I'll have to cut back my weigh loss efforts instead Huh...
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:53 am

The Enya arrived a few days ago. It's a 45BB, model 6001 with an R/C carb. Unused, with box, muffler and instructions. I'm pretty happy with it, I hear they make good C/L stunt engines, of course I'd need to get a venturi for it. Oh, and then maybe learn to fly C/L with a smaller plane first lol!

Here's a picture. The seller threw in a couple of propellers and a big shiny spinner.

Recent engine acquisitions Image11

I already have found the perfect plane for this engine:

Recent engine acquisitions 4730

Here's the plan: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4730

Maybe modified to bubble canopy and in that red and white racer #57 paint scheme Cool

Yesterday I finalized a deal of a lot of 10 old engines, can't wait to receive the package bounce  More about that later  Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:19 pm

KariFS wrote:The Enya arrived a few days ago. It's a 45BB, model 6001 with an R/C carb. Unused, with box, muffler and instructions. I'm pretty happy with it, I hear they make good C/L stunt engines, of course I'd need to get a venturi for it. Oh, and then maybe learn to fly C/L with a smaller plane first lol!

Here's a picture. The seller threw in a couple of propellers and a big shiny spinner.

Recent engine acquisitions Image11

I already have found the perfect plane for this engine:

Recent engine acquisitions 4730

Here's the plan: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4730

Maybe modified to bubble canopy and in that red and white racer #57 paint scheme Cool

Yesterday I finalized a deal of a lot of 10 old engines, can't wait to receive the package bounce  More about that later  Smile

I have the magazine with the corsair construction article if you would like a copy.

jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:58 am

JPvelo wrote:
I have the magazine with the corsair construction article if you would like a copy.

Hey that would be great! Outerzone only had the first two pages of the article, they might be interested in it too.

I'll pm my email. Thanks!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:18 am

OK, here's the latest lot:

Recent engine acquisitions Image12

The big diesel is a Soviet "MAP3" or MARZ 2.5cc and the other is a Yin Yang 1.5cc from China. The OS looks good but the compression is not good, hopefully it'll run. The Enyas are stuck solid, we'll see how they turn out.

I suppose I should cut back on purchases for a while, these will keep me busy for a few evenings Smile I received this package Friday afternoon and in the same evening I just had to clean up the sad-looking poor old Babe bee with no head...

Before:
Recent engine acquisitions Image13

Recent engine acquisitions Image14

After:
Recent engine acquisitions Image15

This is the first engine I have that has the Thimble Drome text on tank. The seller told that the Cox engines in this lot were given to him by an American friend who lived in Finland and had brought these with him. Now this friend is "flying his planes in a place where the weather is always perfect" as the seller put it. My guess is either Heaven or Southern California.

I am starting to think that the European imports did not have the text on the tank?
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:14 am

The text on the tank was there on the earlier models, just like they also had the thinner cylinder walls, and a thinner neck on the crankcase front.
So no special market, as far as I know, just an early version.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:50 pm

Surfer_kris wrote:The text on the tank was there on the earlier models, just like they also had the thinner cylinder walls, and a thinner neck on the crankcase front.
So no special market, as far as I know, just an early version.

OK, Thanks for this info. How about product engines then? I have an engine that I think is a Silver Bee, narrow neck crankcase, old-style needle, no text on tank. The cylinder was not original to this engine, it was a thick wall one, not consistent with other parts.

I also have a couple of standard-looking Bees that by other identification details "should" have the text but don't, so maybe they also have been salvaged from busted RTFs?

Dunno, but I am happy to finally have a Babe Bee with the text Smile

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Well, last Monday I got a little carried away, and on Wednesday evening I did a little happy dance Very Happy

The first box:
Recent engine acquisitions Image22

The second:

Third:
Recent engine acquisitions Image21

The last one was a Pee Wee box with some odds and ends. Three new glowheads, an .09 muffler, couple of wrenches a Tee Dee .051 and a product engine with a #1 cylinder.

The happy dance may have been a little preliminary as the seller told the engines with boxes were unused. The Babe Bee was stuck with castor, so it had been run. All the box inserts were folded at wrong point as can be seen in the pics. The Tee Dee .051 looked better in pics and it has had its carb body glued.

But on the other hand I told the guy that I don't collect NIB, I want to use the engines, don't value the boxes very much and made my offer on the lot accordingly. Also on the plus side, the Medallion turned out to be an R/C version (the muffler was not shown in the pics) and there is no wrench marks on any of the boxed engines. Can't tell if the Tee Dee .020 has been run or not due to the strong tobacco smell lol! Apparently one of its po's smokes a pipe in his shop Smile It has no wrench marks anywhere or any signs of ever having been mounted so it may well be a "new old" engine. And the Medallion definitely has not been run.

All in all, not a bad deal for the price, and I have financed most of the stuff shown on this thread by selling my Honda junk... um... spare parts. It's amazing how old Honda 125cc stuff has gained value during the past 20 years and how easy it is nowadays to find buyers for that sort of stuff. But now my allowances have been used for a few months DAMMIT!

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:19 am

Some good news from this front again Smile

The fellow that sold me the lot of ten different engines (pic above dated Feb 27th) called me the other day and asked if I was still interested in old Cox stuff. Heck yeah was my response (of course). He'd been cleaning his garage and had found some stuff from his late friend, and offered them to me free, if I'd cover the postage. With the risk of sounding like a broken record, "heck yeah" was my response to this one too. Today the box arrived and here is what was inside it:

Recent engine acquisitions Image22

I was happy to find five .15 size glowheads, two of them were for Medallion and 3 for TeeDee. All of them unused, with their bubbles but the card backs were cut off presumably to save space in a field box, all soaked in oil so the bubbles were loose. The head gaskets were bent on some of them but there are a couple of good ones too. My early (and only) TD .15 was missing a head so this was great. I may also start looking for a Medallion .15 too now Smile

There was also a bunch of early postage stamp engines and parts, two with #1 cylinders and one #2, all of them thin-wall, and an early Babe Bee with a Thimble Drome tank so the ol' ultrasonic will be buzzing again soon. Some NOS standard glowplugs were also included. Not bad Cool

Oh, and an OK Cub was in there too, a bit of a mystery to me. It has a front venturi, but in the backplate there is a hole about the size and shape of a Babe Bee venturi... What is the purpose of that? The flywheel/starter kind of thing up front, with a plastic face sort of indicates a non-airplane origin. A tether car maybe? Any info would be appreciated as always I Love This Forum!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:57 am

What, the Cub gets no mention? Sad
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:01 am

Oldenginerod wrote:What, the Cub gets no mention? Sad

Too long a story to read all the way to the end, eh?

lol!

I have no idea what or where the Cub is from, but someone around the forum has, I am sure Smile

EDIT: I took a closer look, the hole does not go through and it has threads. A mounting lug for a fuel tank maybe?

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:13 am

Yes, there was a spun or drawn fuel tank that could be put on the OK cub engine. It was held by a single screw into that boss.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:20 am

Nice lot, I like the thin wall #1 cylinders.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:50 am

Nice Haul Kari !! Looks like your Cox inventory is building up// I didn't know there was a difference in the TD and Medallion Hd.s for the .15 ? I don't have a TD though , I like the BB with the THIMBLE DOME wrote on them some had stars in there too here is a pic. I got from Mark Boesen  *** well I cant find it right now DAMMIT!  I guess you will bee starting some new builds soon lol!  Eric Fishing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:20 am

I think there are stars too, not sure because there's a lot of crud all over the engine and inside too as the backplate and tank were loose. I could barely see the text. This one will get polished too later on so we'll see Smile

The .15 size head types are a little different, I learned it today lol! Externally the Tee Dee one has a similar pattern engraved or knurled on it as the smaller ones, and the Medallion one is plain. The difference on the underside is harder to see in a picture, but the Medallion head has a more hemispherical or dome-like combustion chamber, the Tee Dee one is conical. Surprisingly it is not "trumpet" shaped as on the .049 ones.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next