Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Gold 15th anniversary Fox .35 Cox_ba12

Gold 15th anniversary Fox .35 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 4:17 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Gold 15th anniversary Fox .35 Empty
Live on Patrol

Gold 15th anniversary Fox .35

Go down

Gold 15th anniversary Fox .35 Empty Gold 15th anniversary Fox .35

Post  Ken Cook Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:03 pm

I haven't been able to attend my club in months as life has just been in the way. I was fortunate to receive this nice little piece of nostalgia from a very good friend of mine. While still a Fox, it still carries a bit of weight in my heart. This is a gold plated version of the Fox .35 which was introduced in 63. I have seen less than a dozen of these and when I do they're just beat to death. The plating on these just flake off and the oxidation that forms on these just ruin them. I just carefully wiped this one and I didn't go crazy on it. It still needs some careful TLC. It's the best running version I have ever seen  of this particular engine. Unfortunately he lent the engine to someone who cut the venturi and drilled what appears to be a flood off in the side of the venturi.  These can bring some good dollars even for a Fox .35. It's hard to see on the monitor, but it's gold not the shiny case and a neat piece of nostalgia. My friend owned it from new and I get to enjoy it. It will be a runner and I'm looking forward to see it in use.
Gold 15th anniversary Fox .35 Dscn2410
Gold 15th anniversary Fox .35 Dscn2411

Gold 15th anniversary Fox .35 Dscn2413
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Gold 15th anniversary Fox .35 Empty Re: Gold 15th anniversary Fox .35

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Looks good Ken. I have only seen one in person up in Wichita. It wad a good runner.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:49 am

I have only ever seen one of these and it was completely untouched with the original packaging - it looked outstanding. It was with one of my fellow collectors who intended to mount and display it.

He asked me to make a stand for it which I did and decided to have the stand gold plated. Why? Because like learning and trying new things!

The kits for doing this are very expensive and so I contacted the firm that distributed them and they gave me the name of a chap who lived close by who had just bought one. I contacted him and he was looking for practice pieces as he was setting this up as a business. He had had excellent results with some metals but not aluminium.

I supplied him with a box of castings, aluminium parts, cylinder heads and bought a batch of materials for him.

It was immediately obvious that it wasn't easy! Quite a few castings ended up ruined whereas machined bar stock produced acceptable results. A few months later he had worked out a process for passivating the aluminium prior to plating and the results were excellent. I got the stand plated, a PAW engine (complete) and a few cylinder heads, venturies and drive plates.

The PAW engine was never used and I swapped it for some lathe tools with another collector. He still has it on display and has polished it.

However, some of the heads that I had plated were Super Tigre heads that I had modded on request. I saw one recently and most of the plating had flaked away. It was a well used engine ( if that is what beat up means!), the drive plate still looked good though.

I learned from this that it is difficult to get a bond with gold plating to aluminum and yet I have seen aluminium bathroom fitting with good gold plating. I think that the bond also depends on the quality of the aluminium and the surface.

Ken, it is nice to have an engine that you have feelings of nostalgia for. I hope that when you run it and fly with it you enjoy the nostalgia.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:29 am

Beautiful Engine Ken , I have never seen one in person . That is a shame someone drilled on it but will still give you years of enjoyment . What do you plan to put it on ? Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down