Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Dseielized Cox question Cox_ba12

Dseielized Cox question Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Dseielized Cox question Empty
Live on Patrol

Dseielized Cox question

Go down

Help! Dseielized Cox question

Post  fit90 Mon May 23, 2016 8:34 pm

I have been running some Cox reedies with the RJL head and am pretty happy with them.  I typically get a little over 10,000 RPM with a MAS 7X4.  With an engine with one of Bernie's "choke" type throttles I have been able to get a dependable idle as low as 4,000 RPM.  I am not running these at maximum compression and I am also leaving them a little rich. However, I am finding that the Cox reedies and other Cox type engines run very hot, not allowing me to comfortably adjust the compression with my fingers.  Has anyone else experienced this? Is this going to pose an issue for either dependability or longevity?  I am pleasantly surprised at how well the dieselized Coxes run.  Thank you for any and all help.  It is always greatly appreciated.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Dseielized Cox question

Post  ian1954 Tue May 24, 2016 4:53 am

The Cox conversions do run hot, mainly because of inadequate cooling. The cylinder and head are not very substantial and don't soak the heat away.

Here is a comparison of a Cox head with an 049 diesel.

Dseielized Cox question Paw80v10

The running temperature can be reduced by changing the fuel mix and upping the ether to 40%. Less power but a cooler running engine.

If you compare your dieselized Cox to the OTM 0.8 you have - you will see the difference for cooling.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Tue May 24, 2016 6:39 am

Thanks Ian,

I am hoping that the air flow from flying will keep them cool enough. But, since it is nearly summer and our temps are usually in the mid to upper 90's I will definitely keep the modified fuel blend in mind. I am surprised at how many little differences there are between glow and diesel.

Thanks,

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue May 24, 2016 8:14 am

I've never had any heating problems with the PeeWee or the Queen Bee on Diesel. You do need to stay on the safe low compression side though. If the heat does start to build up the compression will be even more too high, and so on, in an escalating fashion (or unstable run-away, not sure what the proper wording would be here).

This is general general thing though, any diesel engine will behave like that. If you have throttled engine you need to be extra careful as at reduced throttle the engines tend to like a little higher compression setting and it is easy to get fooled into a too high setting, that will then over-heat at full throttle in the air. So during flying the engines should always hit and miss at reduce throttle settings, otherwise the compression ratio is too high for full throttle.

Bernie's "Throttle" is merely a cold start choke, so all the settings needs to be done att wide open throttle, and then you will just have to live with what ever throttling it can produce for that setting. Don't try to tune it at reduced settings, that will only trick you into something that doesn't work at full throttle...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue May 24, 2016 2:39 pm

I suppose the overheating problem or lack thereof is a matter of ambient conditions. I don't know where in Sweden you are Kris but here in mid-southern Finland we are mostly in the 70s or 80s F tops, whereas in FL 100s is a more usual figure in the summertime.

I've lived in Atlanta for a couple of years, felt weird to have the electricity bill skyrocket in the summertime, as opposed to how it is here in Finland where I spend fortunes to keep the house at 72F in January and February despite the 8" of thermal insulation in the walls and a foot and a half on top of the ceiling Smile

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue May 24, 2016 3:26 pm

Well, I guess 70-80F is usual here too on a good day in the summer. I didn't run any engines in australia when I was there two years ago, but their winter felt like a pretty good summer to me. Smile

To me it has less to do with ambient temperature, and more about the actual settings. You do need to avoid the escalating run-away situation. The fake throttle just adds to the problem, when trying to get a good idle you will tune away from the proper settings for full throttle, that is the real danger.

A diesel engine has something that one could call "positive feedback" of the temperature, i.e. when the temperature goes up, then the effective compression setting goes up to, thus producing more heat and so on. This will not stop until something breaks in the worst case. You can get this with any diesel engine in any ambient condition, e.g. if you tune a cold engine and take off flying straight away, in winter or summer.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down