Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Powering the "Racer" Cox_ba12

Powering the "Racer" Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 7:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 6:10 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Powering the "Racer" Empty
Live on Patrol

Powering the "Racer"

Go down

Powering the "Racer" Empty Powering the "Racer"

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:32 am

There were two possibilities for the offset to the right Fox .15.  First, the builder knew something the rest of us didn't.  Second, he was just to lazy to do the job right.

Powering the "Racer" P1010051

I brought several candidate replacement engines to the garage and removed the Fox.  A couple of Enyas .15 and .19, a tanked McCoy incase the existing tank was plugged with congealed fuel, and the two Cox .15's that I had test ran yesterday.  Tanked McCoy would not have worked and proved unnecessary as low pressure compressed air flowed freely through the existing tank. Favorites were the two Cox engines.

Sadly, the Cox engines would require major surgery to install.  The Enya .15's mounting holes would not align, but the vintage 4002 Enya 19's did, perfectly.

Evidently a previous owner had replaced the Enya or another engine with identical mounting holes with the Fox.  

Powering the "Racer" P1010046
Powering the "Racer" P1010047
Powering the "Racer" P1010045
Powering the "Racer" P1010053
Powering the "Racer" P1010052

Powering the "Racer" P1010048

I still haven't given up on the Cox engines.  But I would have to hog out the fuselage to allow the wider Cox case to fit, and build some sort of a bridge on both sides to center the engine.

But, the vintage Enya would be correct for the era, so that's not a bad option.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Powering the "Racer" Empty Re: Powering the "Racer"

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:01 am

Do you happen to know what that model is? As in who manufactured it. It would be nice to see plans when coming up with an engine for it.

Personally, the Fox .15 would be a good choice. It was mentioned that it doesn’t belong on a racer, but Fox sold hop up parts for the .15X to make it a competitive racing engine. On it’s own it’s pretty swift as is.

Another thing to think about is weight, speed planes are always nose heavy so you definitely have options.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/rat-racing-and-team-racing/a-fox-15-with-factory-hop-up-parts-from-the-60's/
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:15 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Do you happen to know what that model is? As in who manufactured it. It would be nice to see plans when coming up with an engine for it.

Personally, the Fox .15 would be a good choice. It was mentioned that it doesn’t belong on a racer, but Fox sold hop up parts for the .15X to make it a competitive racing engine. On it’s own it’s pretty swift as is.

Another thing to think about is weight, speed planes are always nose heavy so you definitely have options.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/rat-racing-and-team-racing/a-fox-15-with-factory-hop-up-parts-from-the-60's/

I have no idea what it is Ron and neither does the seller, says he found it at a yard sale years ago and hung it in his den room.   I have googled everything associated with it even the name on the fuselage.  Also did outerzone searching "by mo", racer, and others.  It's a hollow log fuselage in upper and lower sections joined at the middle.  Wing is solid airfoil like what SIG offers only much wider.  Could be a kit or home made.  The landing gear is generic but the streamlined wheel pants are not, very nicely done.  So much of this reminds me of the Sandcast Enya T-28 of the same vintage.  

I'm going to go with the vintage Enya .19.  It just fits, but physically it's too large for the airplane.  

I A/F boiled both the Fox .40 and the nasty .15 that came on it.  Totally locked up including the glow plug and NV.  The heat gun did nothing so I dumped it in the pot.  Still a struggle to free those up.  Compression not a worry with either, both have gobs of it.

Powering the "Racer" P1010054
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:32 pm

Your .40 needle should arrive tomorrow.

The .19 is a good choice. Proto speed planes have disgustingly huge engines in tiny little airframes so it won’t look too out of place.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:37 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Your .40 needle should arrive tomorrow.

The .19 is a good choice. Proto speed planes have disgustingly huge engines in tiny little airframes so it won’t look too out of place.

But, I have a problem.

Got around to checking the CG and holding the plane at the very leading edge of the wingtips the nose goes straight down.  No hesitation!

I checked the weight of the Fox .15 that came on at 3.83 oz.  The Enya .19 at 5.32, big difference.

Also checked the Cox .15 TD at 4.14, an Enya .15 at 4.94, Ball park but no cigar.

Wonder if a Cox .049TD at 1.69, or an Enya .09 at 2.95 would fly it...…..

Finished adding the tail section, couldn't resist a decal.  I think the vertical stab is pretty close, but I don't know about the rudder.  I know the original enclosed the elevator so I made it that way.  

Powering the "Racer" P1010066

Powering the "Racer" P1010064

Thanks for the Fox .40 needle Ron, perfect fit but I haven't ran it yet.

Powering the "Racer" P1010065

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:34 pm

Powering the "Racer" P1010010

Nose-heavy will fly.. and be controllable whilst flying.. although I share Ron's views on the Fox .15 that came with the airplane. A lighter-weight engine will be easier on the L/G and air-frame..  when the model runs out of fuel.. and drops out of the sky like a rock... Shocked
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:17 pm

Thanks Roddie,

I'm sure it take off with a lot of up elevator and fly the same way, but it won't fly well. I could add tail weight but I hesitate to do that for the same reason. Maybe the reason why the engine change was made by the previous owner.

I still have hopes and may opt for the vintage Enya .09. Long lines, slow flight, I could get used to that.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content