Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Bad Weather  - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Bad Weather  - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:36 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:43 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:49 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Bad Weather  - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Bad Weather

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Bad Weather  - Page 3 Empty Re: Bad Weather

Post  fredvon4 Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:54 am

This week nearly, a year later, we have an ongoing 4~7 day cold front on top of us. 70F to 25F in just 21 hours last Monday to Tuesday

bottomed out at 15F 2 nights in a row and expected to stay this way well into next week. Mid 30s to low teens. So far no loss of power here

Stoked the fire place last night to help keep core temp in the house and reduce electric heat demand.

Blizzard Feb 2022 1.5 inches of mostly ice...no fluffy flakes

Bad Weather  - Page 3 20220211

So store shelves are bare, roads, county offices and all schools are shut, ambulances and EMS on over time, neighbors patrolling the hwys with 4x4s to help the stupid people. Did my health and welfare rounds yesterday and only had one old widow near me needing a hand.

I guarantee, once back up above freezing, all services offering plumbing repair will be hard to get and very busy.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:04 am

Good to hear from you Fred , I was just thinking about you Very Happy I hear you on the the weather swing 62f last night mid 60s today w/rain , then back to 40s day 20s at night ... I am ready for spring ! Already looking at what to plant this year and maybe something soon for the cold weather plants Radishes, beans, inside starters tomatoes ,peppers hot/cool /bells . I got a friend that's is going to give me some boarding to make at least 1 if not 2 more raised beds , I am liking them but got to get the soil amended better than it is .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:46 am

The weather lady says this latest system will be heading on east today, after maybe another light dusting, and so far, no electrical outages here on my little chunk of heaven in S.E. Missouri.  

The snow never got very deep, with even the drifts only getting to a foot or so, but as always, the mixed layers of ice and snow might have me calling AAA if I ventured out. Got my generator and Big Buddy Heater on hot standby, but VERY thankful that they haven't been needed.

I now have a brisk 18°F and a 19 mph north wind gusting against the side of this old house.  It's times like these that I feel the need to remind myself how lucky I am to be retired and so not obliged to venture out onto the glaze.  Along with other vitals, I've got enough canned chili to keep a single guy alive for a week, so as long as the electrons don't get derailed, everything ought to be just fine.

Still, I HAD to do something.  So, the poor Mavic Drone was cranked up and sent out into the icy gray, protesting all the while about the gusts that were trying to tip it past it's fatal tilt angle of 60°.  But it survived, capturing a bit of footage, then returning to scatter the flock of buntings and chickadees gathered around the birdseed pile.

Looks like a good day for some work in the shop if I can get in the mood.

Hoping everyone stays safe.

Hermit Kim

Bad Weather  - Page 3 2_185
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:17 am

Warm rain yesterday and last night has melted most of the snow.

Bad Weather  - Page 3 100_1143
Bad Weather  - Page 3 100_1144

But it also turned everything to mud. Tractor was covered in it plus a share of soot from the fire. I just cozy up to it and drop the logs on top of the burning pile. Stopped by the hose which thankfully was thawed for a quick wash before parking it.

Bad Weather  - Page 3 100_1146
Bad Weather  - Page 3 100_1145

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:52 pm

Well just feel like a little rant again..... Another week, another storm last night. highs around 32 yesterday, a bit of rain, some freezing rain, then snow. Oh yeah, heck lets add wind to all this! No, not a gentle breeze, but 25 mph with gusts to over 50 mph, and seemed like it was mostly gusting all night. Well get up this morning, pack my lunch and head out. Didn't look bad. 3 mile ride to the next town doing about 40 mph with full ground blowing snow not seeing the highway, but overall visability was not that bad. Get to town, turn west to go to the city. Make it about 200 feet and stopped, along with everyone else crazy enough to head to the city at 6 this morning. 2 cars stuck right in front of us blocking anyone from heading further. Remember the wind I mentioned..... It blew drifts across the highway, and the smallest seen was about 1 1/2 feet deep. Most others were worse, no exaggeration that others were close to 4 feet in spots, and now zero visability. I did what I have never yet done before in 25 years. I did call my boss and turned around and came home, albeit after sitting stuck in traffic for over half hour, then I went off roading to turn around. But I did get home safe. Funny part though is at home it did not look bad at all. Thank god I did however, as just as I got home, they did close both of the highways I was on and not allowing any traffic on them at all. Many were stuck in the nearby town for over 5 hours. Cross the line you get a fine, and zero insurance on your person or vehicle should anything happen. Perfect timing on my part!

I later heard that there was well over 20 cars stuck in ditches or just plain old abandoned on the next 5 mile stretch I was about to get in on had those 2 cars not been stuck. And west of me, the 9 mile stretch was apparently worse.

Thanks for listening and reading.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:01 pm

Also I forgot to add. As mentioned yesterday we hit 32 degrees, and I do believe above and now I sit here in -15 farenheit with it feeling like -36 with the windchill and a warning saying it may get below -40 farenheit tonight...... A bit of a fluctuation if I do say so...... Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:43 am

I hear ya , sometimes it just an't worth it to take a chance , I once went to work snow on the ground/road still coming down took me 1.5 hrs. to get to work 20 miles >> they were CLOSED!!!) Well when i seen them couple days later I told them If there is snow on the road at all i will NOT bee here !! Got home OK but 3 hrs. of bull stuff. Glad you turned when you did Chancy. Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman Snowman
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:23 pm

Well.... Another week goes by and naturally yet another blizzard warning here again for tonight into tomorrow! not as bad weather wise. Only hitting to around -40 tonight. But when it is in full swing of delivering the snow in the system of 1 - 2 inches the winds will again create driving issues. tonights winds will be around 35 mph and in teh morning will pick up to around 50 mph. Just what we need to blow all teh new soft snow around that we get tonight as well as the rest of the snow we received the last couple of days. I am not really looking to go to work tomorrow, but this time I have to get there. Fingers crossed it will be better than last week, if even so slightly. I have only 8 miles of bad roads then I will be in city limits so travel is much more managable. I will naturally updat this tomorrow some time.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:43 am

Only hitting to around -40 tonight Damn! You act like thats good WOW and the wind !! It was 68f here yesterday and 50 s last nite but going the other way today back to 40s day 27f night No
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:40 pm

Well, it looks like we dodged a bullet here. We got what was called for, but a bit less extreme as originally planned. Drive in was actually good, well kind of.... Almost went in less than 3 miles from home as 2 deer decided to cross the road in front of me in the storm. Only thing that saved me was an oncoming vehicle as in the blowing snow I managed to see the 2 crossing so backed off the pedal quickly. Dumb deer.... Anyways, I made it in and now back home. Coming back was slightly worse for visibility, but was able to drive close to teh speed limits. But now there is apparently round 2 coming in tomorrow morning. Bright side is I will be sitting nice and warm inside watching it all unfold! Followed by snow removal after. Could honestly use a nice little tractor, but shovel and a blower, aka my dad and I (dad lives behind us in town), will take care of it. We have been in a blizzard warning since 10:30 am yesterday.

Bad Weather  - Page 3 W114
Bad Weather  - Page 3 W212
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:56 pm

Glad that you made it Chancey. Deer? Yah, they litter the highways here in West Virginia both alive and dead.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:12 am

So almost 3 days later the system has finally moved on. This has to be the most snow I have personally seen here at this time to date. And to add insult to injury, our storm season is usually March, so more just may be coming.... Anyways, now that this is gone, now comes in the cool temperatures for the better part of the week, and 99% of the province is covered in this 'Extreme Cold Warning'. Evening and nighttime lows will be in the -40 to -49 fahrenheit levels (picture shows temperstures in celsius), and a bit better during the daytimes. And as for snow, I will also attach a chart showing to date, we have hit #3 in the records of I believe 100 years in Winnipeg which is just west of me.

Bad Weather  - Page 3 Y110
Bad Weather  - Page 3 Y310
Bad Weather  - Page 3 Y210
Bad Weather  - Page 3 Y210
Bad Weather  - Page 3 Weathe11
Bad Weather  - Page 3 27430710

NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Bad Weather  - Page 3 Empty Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:23 am

Very windy here in Snowdonia, over 80mph wind speed recorded in Capel Curig east of Snowdon. We are to the west of Snowdon. Luckily the storm past over our valley, but had it blown down and along our valley things would have been very different.

Storm force 11 forecast for Irish sea.

122mph recorded on Needles, Isle of White 2 days ago.

Mr Beaufort probably didn't envisage such high wind speeds. Perhaps a new scale needed from 12 to 15. Thankfully no snow but rain is horizontal, again.

Stay safe out there guys
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:05 am

Just for comparison.  Note- Temperatures are in Celsius.

Bad Weather  - Page 3 Screen16

Today was clear, calm, sunny, low twenties (C), but I had to work of course.  I did manage to do a little spray painting outdoors at the end of the day Very Happy
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:59 am

NEW222 wrote:So almost 3 days later the system has finally moved on. This has to be the most snow I have personally seen here at this time to date. And to add insult to injury, our storm season is usually March, so more just may be coming.... Anyways, now that this is gone. Evening and nighttime lows will be in the -40 to -49 fahrenheit levels

Bad Weather  - Page 3 Y110
Bad Weather  - Page 3 Y310

WOW! Cold and Snowy. These pictures remind me of what it was like growing up in the early 60's. My brother and I were tasked with shoveling the driveway which would end up looking very similar to your pictures. We used to install bright orange Styrofoam balls on the tip of the cars antenna so you could see if any cars were driving down the street above the snowbanks.  BBBRRRR get cold just thinking about that. It's a good thing we don't get that much snow anymore, cars no longer have tall antennas! I've only had to use the snowblower twice this winter (so far) I'm lazy, I have a AWD vehicle and mother nature ( Uncle Warming?)has been nice enough to melt  much of the snow we've received.
Bad Weather  - Page 3 Scree139
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:25 am

Love the comment about the antenna toppers for visability. This years snowfall and temperstures are definately something we don't see thsi bad often, but I guess mother nature is making up for teh overly hot and abnormally dry summer we had last year. Now they are already talking about spring flooding..... Will this ever end? Huh...
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:51 am

Thats a lot of snow looks like 20" and packed I guess you have a good snow thrower to get the bulk of it moved . After 60yrs. now I know what those orange balls were on top of antenna's , funny around here i thought maybe a way to find your car in a parking lot LOL Snowman
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  firstwordisee Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:08 pm

I dont think people think of snow when they hear "San Diego", I live about 45 min from downtown in the foothills/mountains, about 4,000 feet, getting very cold, will snow several inches tonight and tomorrow, finishing the week with a freeze warning, in low 30's (20's at night) This after being about 72 and sunny a few days ago.
firstwordisee
firstwordisee
Gold Member
Gold Member

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:01 pm

Well to be brutally honest, a big chunk of it was hand bombed by shovel as I do no longer have a snowblower as I sold it a few years ago. Deal is that my parents live behind us and dad has a decent snowblower so we agreed to use his and when something happens, we split a new one. Having 2 was nice, but a lot more upkeep of two machines for nothing. So as he is retired and likes to go for walks, and get away from the 'honey-to-do list', he comes over while I am at work and gets it done, all while avoiding his household chores..... And in return, I do most of the shovelling of walkways, steps, and decks. As well, I also like to push snow manually for a bit of exercise, so when I get to it before him, I push it all aside and he just needs to take one pass up and down to help it get a bit further, hence why the close pile is over 5 feet as I have a hard time throwing it further. And another bonus is my neighbour and friend has a quad with a blade so we also exchange snow services. Thsi little corner of town where I am we all help eachother out, and is nice. But now that my dads saw what a blade on an ATV can do, he wants one for my quad, so it does appear that I will be looking for one shortly myself cause dad wants a new toy.....
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:25 am

As some know USA has yet another arctic blast dipping way down here.

Started my week with 66F early morning up into high 70s low 80s then wham!

Front sunk down to south central Texas dropping us into mid 20sF with chance of ice...so far just windy and bitter cold here

Sending it on it's way to the east cost soon

Ya,all enjoy

Reporting live from chilly Central Texas this is shivering news anchor Fred von Gortler
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:02 pm

yup Phred.. it's comin' and forecast to hit my area early mornin'...... snow; starting? Huh... Huh... at midnight.. no.. between 2 and 4 am... heaviest during AM commute 2"/hr. Shocked

My plan is to monitor the forecast starting at 4 am. Earlier this afternoon, I treated my snow-thrower's fuel-supply with "Startron" (a Starbright product) to hopefully aid in the ignition of its' gasoline-engine. Brand-new Ariens machine 2019/2020 season. Fuel is subject. Won't fire when trying to start with pull-rope.. only with AC-assist. I will inspect and report..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3