Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 Cox_ba12

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:10 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 Empty Re: So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:04 am

Bob, not long ago, Aero-werkes out of Farmington, NM advertised a kit closeout sale of that very kit, price under $50, which was very reasonable. Looks seemed similar. (He sold them all, no longer shown.) Also, I remember AHC, NYC had Enterprise kits for sale in the 1960's. The mounting of the Pee Wee inverted was common practice in the 1950's to early 1960's, Walt Musciano's Scientific half-A CL kits showed a good number of kit box cover photos with the OK Cub's and Cox tank engines with the cylinder inverted.

Builders then weren't intimidated by an inverted engine and knew how to successfully start them. (I never did inverted because it was just as easy to make the engine a sidewinder (horizontal cylinder) and have the cylinder sticking out in the wind, giving a clean inner side view profile.

The early 1950's kits used more or less the less expensive, common OK Cubs, which powerwise, the .049's and others same displacement had about the power of the Pee Wee.

Plus, with the kit you got as a bonus, a very clean earlier thin cylinder .020 without tank heavily marred with screw and screwdriver scared tank with the anodizing scratched off in those areas.

And speaking of an alternative to Harbor Freight, found there is a Northern Tool in Lubbock, 95 miles away. So, now I have an alternative. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 Empty Re: So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:35 pm

Ah, options.

While looking over my scrap balsa I found a 4" SIG airfoil that cut to shape and sanded down would duplicate very closely the original top wing although at a weight penality. Doesn't really concern me, I think a nicely tuned Pee Wee would still haul it around smartly. The wings are top sheeted balsa anyway. The bottom wing I will still do sheet and tissue but only half saving the original half....Maybe.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1016988
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1016987
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1016986
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1016990
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1016989

It will go back together using CA, maybe backing up critical areas with epoxy. No way could I strip and repaint. Structure would not support it. Blend in camo as best can.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:49 pm

I was getting ready to build a sheet and tissue replacement lower wing for the Spad when I thought to check my scrap balsa for something more user friendly. Found a short length of SIG airfoil that if cut to size and sanded would work perfectly. Reminding myself that I'm not building a contest model here but rebuilding a $4.95/$12.00 crashed piece of junk.

Not worth the effort some would say, but for me it's the effort that makes it worthwhile.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1016998
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017000
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1016999
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017002
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017001

3" sections of music wire will substitute for the nails. 1" into the wing, rest extending into the fuselage set in 30 mim epoxy.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:16 am

I decided to use toothpicks instead of music wire.  Lighter and effectively just as strong.  Thicker toothpicks fill the voids better requiring less cement.  

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017003
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017004

Still, sanding to do to get the contours right.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017005
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017006
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017007

Top wing is wider and longer than the bottom.  Bottom wing on this model measures at 13 1/2" and 1 1/2" wide, I will cut the top wing at 14 or 14 1/8"" and 1 3/4" =/-

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017010
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017009
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017008
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:37 am

Good ideas and good work Bob. Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:40 am

The little plane is coming back to life again, nice Very Happy ….. You may have already said, But are you going try and match and patch in the new paint?… That would be it’s own fun little trail to follow….

rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:42 pm

rdw777 wrote:The little plane is coming back to life again, nice Very Happy ….. You may have already said, But are you going try and match and patch in the new paint?… That would be it’s own fun little trail to follow….

I have options Robert, none of which are very close.  

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017012

I cut the wing scallops (PO never did) using a half-round file.  A Spad isn't a Spad without them.  Original wing quite difficult as the trailing edge appears to be mahogany rather than balsa.    Big mistake on the pilots high wing visability cut-out. Appears to be quite expansive on the Guillows plans, so that's the way I cut it.  Glued it back together and will try again with a smaller referance.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017017
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017018
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017016

Scallops get cleaned-up a bit after a couple coats of sanding sealer to add some strength.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:00 am

Re-did the wing opening for the pilot, and first and second coats of sanding sealer. This stuff will mend a broken arm. Built a new engine out of the .020 parts I got on ebay. New gaskets and a better tank and case.

Dug the old venturi gasket out with a pin, brittle it broke in pieces. New case gasket. Cleaned the carbon buildup off the top of the piston and cleaned the cylinder. Glow head looks bad but reads good. Leaving it.

Found an old lead-in and cut it to length. Debated about replacing both leads with new. Gave up on that I would have destroyed the existing set-up getting it out.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017021
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017020
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017019
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017024
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017023
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017022
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017025
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:20 pm

Nice that you’re adding the scallops into the wing…. Very much a part of the Spad’s character!!….. Also good that the “hat in the ring” decal was saved, Add’s
interest Thumbs Up ….. Surf Skimmer in the background of one of the above pix looks close to scale with the Spad Very Happy …. The part of the plane that was not damaged looks to be  made well by the original builder…. I know they would be proud that it is being restored…
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:47 pm

Thanks Robert, The Surf Skimmer and the Cox TD-4 still lurk. Both fairly easy completions compared to this Spad.

I also wonder about the Spad's builder. Probably not a kid. He/she gets points for building and flying. I wish the engine had come with it. One flight or many? Last flight landed upside down left side. Took out the top and left wing but kept the landing gear. Wonder when? Late fifties/sixties.

Scallops cleaning up/defining with sanding sealer and hole punches. I was not happy with the 1/2 round file. Thought about the punches with the rough cylinders, picked the one that fit best and acted like a file. Any port in a storm!

Love doing this stuff.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017026
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:22 pm

Looking good Bob , I see the can of sanding sealer, I’m having a heck of a time finding that . I’ve been to several hardware stores with no luck
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:44 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Bob, not long ago, Aero-werkes out of Farmington, NM advertised a kit closeout sale of that very kit, price under $50, which was very reasonable. Looks seemed similar. (He sold them all, no longer shown.) Also, I remember AHC, NYC had Enterprise kits for sale in the 1960's. The mounting of the Pee Wee inverted was common practice in the 1950's to early 1960's, Walt Musciano's Scientific half-A CL kits showed a good number of kit box cover photos with the OK Cub's and Cox tank engines with the cylinder inverted.

Builders then weren't intimidated by an inverted engine and knew how to successfully start them. (I never did inverted because it was just as easy to make the engine a sidewinder (horizontal cylinder) and have the cylinder sticking out in the wind, giving a clean inner side view profile.

The early 1950's kits used more or less the less expensive, common OK Cubs, which powerwise, the .049's and others same displacement had about the power of the Pee Wee.

Plus, with the kit you got as a bonus, a very clean earlier thin cylinder .020 without tank heavily marred with screw and screwdriver scared tank with the anodizing scratched off in those areas.

And speaking of an alternative to Harbor Freight, found there is a Northern Tool in Lubbock, 95 miles away. So, now I have an alternative. Very Happy
Hey George, I was the Lucky one that jumped on three of those kits , all the ones I got were NIB. with the cellophane still on them . Yay me lol
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:18 pm

Hi Joe, yes lucky you.  Can you post a picture of the plans if you have broken into one, or just the box if you haven't.  

You can find that sanding sealer in most Walmarts. Thanks - Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:18 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Hi Joe, yes lucky you.  Can you post a picture of the plans if you have broken into one, or just the box if you haven't.  

sure can
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:42 pm

This thing just snaps back together. Each broken piece fits back perfectly including the firewall. The only piece that I have cemented (CA) so far is the left side with the opening for the forward lead-out. When I do cement it, clamps will ensure a tighter fit.

The manufacturer made no provisions to access the engine. Once the cowl is cemented in place, that's it. So, I made sure this engine will be a runner. New gaskets and a nice reed along with careful cleaning should ensure that. I used my new 2/56's. 1/4" snugged in place and dotted with wood glue. Tried gel CA which was a diaster, it still weeped into the threads. Had to remove everything. No washers, I wanted the nut's to imprint.

Painted the underside of the new wings with Krylon light gray to match the original. Got to lay some beige, then over-paint with green. There will be scars. Trying to cover them makes it look like you're trying too hard.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017029
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017028
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017030
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017031
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:55 pm

It’s going to look great Bob, A little TLC around the re-joined broken parts and paint touch up will only make it look like a veteran back from the front lines….. Like you have already mentioned, I’m surprised the landing gear did not tear off in the crash…. More evidence it was well built to begin with…I’m guessing an older teenager with a little experience already or young adult…..
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:40 am

rsv1cox wrote:Hi Joe, yes lucky you.  Can you post a picture of the plans if you have broken into one, or just the box if you haven't.  

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 57764810So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 8f2bf510 here you go Bob . Aero-works has this kit for $18 . Very nice laser cut kit
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:44 am

Thanks Joe, got it. I did a search on the Aero-Works Spad and could not find it. Do you have a link? Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:55 am

Oh Man it looking Good ! That's great that the broken parts are fitting back together , makes for easier fix . I see your putting the tail pipes back on too . your getting good at the scallops they look even . Clean my glasses Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:04 am

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks Joe, got it.  I did a search on the Aero-Works Spad and could not find it.  Do you have a link?  Bob
Sorry Bob , it’s Aerowerks with an E . Type in Aerowerks models . I’m going out today , if I find a place to copy the plans , I will make you a set of them .
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:32 am

akjgardner wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Thanks Joe, got it.  I did a search on the Aero-Works Spad and could not find it.  Do you have a link?  Bob
Sorry Bob , it’s Aerowerks with an E . Type in Aerowerks models . I’m going out today , if I find a place to copy the plans , I will make you a set of them .

Thanks Joe, Plans are not necessary, I have all that I need now. I appreciate the offer.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:08 am

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 C0915210
Bob, here is the decal sheet
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:51 am

Thanks Joe, I can scale it and print them out on sticky backed paper.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:24 am

Paint.  Back to the drawing board.

What I thought would be passable, isn't!  I must have at least 30 cans of aerosal paints, Krylon mostly and I do not want to buy more, but there it is.  The John Deere Green is close, but it's gloss and it reacted with the base coat and crazed.  Strip it and try again.  Thankfully I did not do the top wing.  Camo tan and green should do better.  Another Walmart run but it ain't ever going to match exactly.  Sad

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017032

When I cemented in the motor mount back to the PO's original positioning (It just snapped into place) I checked east west but neglected north south.  Big mistake.  Way off, took 4/40 nut shims to bring it back into alignment.  No wonder it did a figure 9 and landed on it's back.  Screwdriver tool marks are not mine.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017034

Simple jig for setting up/cementing the wing when I get around to it.  Might be some head shaking going on around the table, but I bet when I finish it will fly successfully.  

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 2 P1017033
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:50 am

Bob, I’m sure you have method you are after for painting…. But just thinking out loud…. And maybe not even appropriate… Maybe craft store or WM water based art paints?…. Cheap and could be mixed or matched to come close to your base…. A coat of varnish over to seal…. Varnish is fairly fuel proof according to my test stand…..Varnish will have a sheen but could be be “flattened” with fine sandpaper afterwards…..Varnish will yellow a bit with age but maybe not a bad thing on an
antique-ish plane…..Just a thought ….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next