Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Cox_ba12

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 10:11 am

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Empty Re: So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:13 pm

rdw777 wrote:Lots of jigging to get a two winger close to square… And I’m guessing a lot of wet glue joints at once!!….My first two winger was a Goldberg Little Toot with a near worn out Black Widow …. Twitchy, but fun to fly…. Son was about ten at the time and got a big kick out of it…

Nightmare Robert, absolute nightmare!  Everyone knows that a degree or two off at one end multiplies on the other.  And, nothing is square on this model.

I thought I had the cabane struts cut to length correctly when the vertical distance on either end of the top wing came to 4.5" and things leveled out.  Not so, it's the distance between the top and bottom wings that matters.  (The landing gear is not straight.) So, more eyeball.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017123

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017122

Yes, hopefully glue setting time will provide some fine tuning.  Thinking 30 minute epoxy.  But, I'm always in a hurry, that might become 5 minute!

Comet Spad arrived today.  Little fella.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017121

All there except the decals.  I might build it.  I need the silkspan to cover the bottom wing on the repair Spad.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Empty Re: So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home

Post  getback Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:06 am

Glad your staying out of trouble with the Spad beeing a bear LOL It shaping up colors are coming together too hope you get the wings figured out . Rolling Eyes Clean my glasses Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:45 am

getback wrote:Glad your staying out of trouble with the Spad  beeing a bear LOL It shaping up colors are coming together too hope you get the wings figured out . Rolling Eyes Clean my glasses Very Happy

Finally, I have it figured..........for better or worst.  

I decided to forget about the eight wing struts and using my old jig cut the cabane struts to length (guessed) and tacked on the wing, then turned it over and filled the voids with epoxy.  Then I did the wing struts.  My hands shake so nothing is neat here in application.  

Tacked with wood glue on the tips of the struts.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017131

Turned over and epoxied.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017132

Built a guide to set the struts.  Tongue depresser fit perfectly between.  Foam cube set 90 degrees.  Rinkey dink at best but now-adays my only option.  

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017133
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017135
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017134

Using the original half-wing as a guide I drilled holes in the new wings to set the struts.  Tight fit for the tooth picks.  Used the jigs, then used a tapping hammer to drive the struts through the top wing, wing setting on a cushioned pad.  

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017136
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017138
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017137
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017139
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:28 pm

Done, although I may install strut wires as I did some 54 years ago on my Sterling Nieuport 28 still my favorite all-time model and flyer.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Spad_s11

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017141
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017140

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017143

Among friends

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017142
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:52 pm

Very Nice Bob , that was a tough one but it sure turned out nice
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:01 pm

It did turn out nice Bob, Great job!…. Color match and camo shapes are spot on…. As my wife would say if she likes the repair I make to something that was broken…. “Looks like nothing ever happened “ Very Happy …..Working with small is challenging but rewarding IMO…..Looks good with its scratch built wing men….I enjoy watching these come together, Thanks for sharing……
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:34 pm

Well done Bob!! I don't have any experience with decals except the ones from Airfix or Revell in my childhood, but can they be removed and reused? It would be the occasion to get the hat and ring the right way up.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:08 pm

OVERLORD wrote:Well done Bob!! I don't have any experience with decals except the ones from Airfix or Revell in my childhood, but can they be removed and reused?  It would be the occasion to get the hat and ring the right way up.

Can't be done.  How I know, just one of many diasters with this reconstruction and why you don't see close-ups of the tail section.  Smile  But, I do have "Decal Remover" solutions, they just don't work to remove completely with quality enough to reuse.  

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017144

Yes, Eddie is turning over and fuming a bit.  He was not a forgiving guy.  Yes, original builder didn't do his homework.  Hat is upside down dumping out all the "luck" as in horse shoes.  Hat goes up catching the luck.  

"What's the meaning of the phrase 'Throw your hat into the ring'?
Make or take up a challenge, or demonstrate one's willingness to join an enterprise."

Notice his left hand tossing the hat into the ring.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Ace_of10

I have read all of the books that he authored or co-authored,  Fighting the Flying Circus as a kid.  Seven came through a classic.  Lost at sea after a plane crash he assumed command of the life rafts and kept others alive though shear will.  Described as profane and unpopular in some articles.  Interesting life profiled in wikipedia for those interested.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Seven_10
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 1919_b10
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Spad_x10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:43 am

WOW That did come out Nice ! I did not know about the Hat and Rickenbacker may have to give it a read ! The Spad stands true to its colleges Thumbs Up Good work on the rebuild , I personally can stand to do them I guess just not good at it (don't look good in the end ) Paranoid
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:04 am

Thanks Eric.

I added a touch of class to the Spad by installing the Cocobolo prop that Robert sent me for the K&B Infant.  Hand-carved and perfect.  It replaces the nylon Top-Flight prop that I painted the same Tan as on the plane itself, in fact I painted all the accesssories tan - toothpicks, control line guide, etc.  

I would not risk it in a flight rather I would use the Top-Flight prop which seems to be a good fit for the little .020 Cox Pee Wee.  

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017148

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Rick_p10

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Spad_p12

It's always been in the back of my mind to use Robert's propeller on the Spad, I just wasn't sure if it would upgrade the Spad or down-grade Roberts beautiful prop.  Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:46 am

It is a beautiful prop for sure I think it look good on the Spad more like the bigun . This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:07 pm

getback wrote:It is a beautiful prop for sure I think it look good on the Spad more like the bigun . This Site Rocks!

It's going to have a friend soon. I won the auction for the Beechcraft with the Ok Cub engine. Not surprising, I was the only bidder. It sould be here soon, coming from PA not too far from Ken. He might have seen it fly at one time.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Ok_cub17
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Stag_w11
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Stag_w10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:09 pm

Wow, That looks good Bob Very Happy ….. The prop looks like it belongs there, Especially after seeing the full scale photo…. An honorable place for it IMO !!….Goes great with the camo  Thumbs Up….. The wood has a lot of grain detail I think makes it interesting for modeling, Functional too!….. It was modeled on the suggested prop for K & B Infant…. 5-1/4 x very shallow pitch…. A PeeWee would do just fine with it…. Thanks for sharing that Very Happy

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 986bd610
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Bf6bc310
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:40 am

Bob, that full body Beechcraft cabin bipe will make a nice restore. Sig's half-A profile model is also a looker, but there is something extra with the full body.

Speaking of Eddie Rickenbacker, here is an interesting story that is inspirational. He and others spent 24 days in inflatable rafts in open seas when their B-17 bomber missed an island refueling stop in the middle of nowhere in the Pacific Ocean, ran out of fuel and ditched. I think you will find the story very interesting on how the Almighty works.

American Heritage Mag: Lost At Sea For 24 Days (Fall 2008, Volume 58, Issue 5)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:14 am

I'm really excited about that Beechcraft SW George.  Already thinking about paint.  Or could leave as is.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Beech_11

Red and yellow Beechcrafts have been overdone, but I really like this black/dark blue? / white combo.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Black_18

Yes,  as mentioned I read his book.  Others dispised him.  Overbearing and uncompromised.  Caught a Seagul that landed on his head, parts apportioned to each survivor.  Such an interesting life, lead mechanical "engineer" at 18, Indy racer, (at one time he owned the Speedway) WW1, started Eastern Airlines and a car company (Rickenbacker)

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Rich_c10

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Rick_c10

(he changed the spelling of his last name a few times) and so much more.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 Seven_11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:39 am

Bob, regarding the Rickenbacker book, I put it on my Biblio wishlist for future purchase. He was truly a man, something that today sorry to say, seems sadly lacking in our modern society. I thought it interesting that he used psychology on them in those rafts, to get them fighting mad to hang on. That's how they were able to spend 3-1/2 weeks out in the open tropical ocean.

That Beech bipe was considered as far as know back then, a fast, sleak, business class plane.

I've had some hard lessons, rude ones, but they saved me future trouble. Basically that lesson on not "throwing your pearls before swine", refers to that even rebuke can be a pearl, but don't do it to those who need it but cannot take it. A fool is like a dog that returns to its vomit, just can't wake up and get back to the right direction, leave behind matters already past.

Those rubber wheels on the Beech were common in the 1960's, nice thing about Top Flite in their half-A C/L molded sheet balsa full and profile fuselage kits was the inclusion of brass rivets to use as axle bearings, one on each side of the wheel center hole to roll on 1/16" round music wire. I think the Goldberg half-A C/L kits used the same rubber wheels and brass rivet axles bearings, my Little Toot Bipe has those wheels.

Scientific on the other hand had the hardwood dyed black wheels. They worked, but I always replaced them with the aftermarket Perfect rubber wheels with cast hubs. They looked nicer and rolled better.

Comet rubber powered kits, they came with hardwood wheels unfinished in natural wood.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:07 pm

"That Beech bipe was considered as far as know back then, a fast, sleak, business class plane."

How true George, I never realized just how beautiful the SW was until I started checking it out in earnest.  That black/dark blue shot of it banking in flight with the wheels up sold me.  

I'm finally checking the "done" box on the Spad.  I'm still not convenced who kitted it.  Perhaps Enterprise but I would like to see evidence.  I took the easy way out and just threaded dacron through the eyelets and knotted to the existing connectors.  Picked out the closest colored handle I could find.

I did not fully trust just cementing the guide to the toothpick struts at the best height, so I glued it to the wing also. A little low but it should work.  A nod to Ken here.  Smile

Flyable, you know that Pee Wee is going to crank, new gaskets and perfect reed.  I like all my projects to have the potential to fly, a few of the plastics may need a fuel tube to be attached, but that's it.  One nice summer day with little wind I might just decide to try them out, or at least have Mark do it.  

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017159
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 4 P1017158

I hope that some enjoyed this thread - all four pages - as much as I did bringing it to you. I still get a kick out of doing this stuff.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4