Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Cox_ba12

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by rsv1cox Today at 7:04 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:43 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Empty Re: So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:23 pm

Thanks Robert, That's a thought.  Both  Walmart and Hobby Lobby has those paints.  

I'm pretty sure the original builder used a fine camels hair brush to paint the model with thin paints, unlike Testors thick enamals.  Nice flowing lines with no bleed which is no longer within my abilities.  

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017035

I ordered these from the same vendor to save on shipping.  Hopefully not too glossy.  I may have to overspray with matte clear.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Ta_grn10
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Ta_tan10

There must be some sort of pumice to rub in to give a dirty aged effect.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Empty Re: So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:45 pm

I suppose you could possibly use rubbing compound, but, is it worth it? Probably a very fine sandpaper like 1000 grit might work, used wet sanded.

However, even flying aircraft restorers, seen a good number of planes in their shiny WW2 camouflaged pattern painted surfaces. Some time back, maybe 30 years ago, remember a C/L columnist ranting about how an authentically weathered and drabbed WW2 stunt warbird was downgraded on beauty points.

The judging culture at the time was for pretty shiny surfaces, it was a beauty contest. I don't know about now.

(Don't mind me, getting more hornery as I age.) Tired w/ Coffee Read Old Bugger Clean my glasses Popcorn lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:12 pm

What I would like to do is save the existing structure as is and closely match the new.. Easier said than accomplished.

Back to square one on the half-wing.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017036
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017037
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:54 pm

Bob, color mismatch is a very minor mistake. It reminds me of trying to match the red maple stain of wall cabinets throughout the house. I ended up taking a couple colors and mixing, until I got a reasonable match. House was built 38 years ago, colors even by the same manufacturers have shifted over time.

Ditto goes for finding engine paints matching those of the earlier engines of the 1940's through 1960's. Good thing about K&B is that their Torpedo series used varying shades throughout the production life of the motor. Seems whatever paints they could get the cheapest became the green head color. I found a John Deere match and that was good enough for me. The McCoy red wasn't as much of a problem.

About the only true way to fix IMO is a light fogging spray over the old surfaces, so old matched new. I'm sure you'll find a way through.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:02 am

I am still learning about this model and it's builder. I wondered about these holes in the fuselages side shown in his ebay pictures.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Spad_m10

It became plain when I connected these parts to the model.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Spad_m11

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017038

I think he added the exhaust extension to match the original airplane as it's made of balsa and painted black. Maybe his attention to detail.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Spad_s10
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Spad_e10

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:31 am

That’s an interesting note about the exhaust extensions…. It’s easy to see the builder was careful and made best try to do a good job…. Puzzling though that engine was that much out of alignment when you tested fit with the firewall…. Good builder but inexperienced pilot?….. I’m sure they were heartbroken when as you say it did a figure 9…..Probably why the landing gear survived…. Oh well, I’ve re-kitted my share too…..
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:04 am

Near perfect match with the tan, not so much with the green.  Tan more flat than matte.  Got to let it cure for a few days then mask.  John Deere green a closer match but I'm not using it and suffering another reaction.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017051
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017052

It's going to be fun building/installing the struts.

Edit:

Went looking for something closer. Costing me 12.18 with shipping and tax to find out.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Tamyia10

Thinking that PO might have used these paints as the tan is so close.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:40 pm

The tan looks spot on Thumbs Up …. I figured getting  the right colors would be a fun trail to chase…. Kind of like getting the correct parts for an old car restore… Or any antique rehab for that matter…..Looks like you’re going to capture the builder’s original intent, Which was a good job to begin with…. Thumbs Up
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:53 pm

rdw777 wrote:The tan looks spot on Thumbs Up …. I figured getting  the right colors would be a fun trail to chase…. Kind of like getting the correct parts for an old car restore… Or any antique rehab for that matter…..Looks like you’re going to capture the builder’s original intent, Which was a good job to begin with…. Thumbs Up

Looks like you’re going to capture the builder’s original intent,

Oh so true Robert. I am sorely lacking in any creative ability so I traced the PO's camo design in waxed paper from the existing half-wing and will transfer it to painters tape and mask it off. SIG's airfoils are roughly cut and I did not spend a lot of time sanding, so I may have to mist with clear flat to avoid bleeding as the PO's hand applied paint has nice clean edges.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017055
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017054

Years ago I could trace a fair line as I did on this Guillows PT-17, but no longer.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017053
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:04 pm

Not happy with my 4/40 shims

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Spad_410

I used long nosed pliers and twisted the whole firewall out of there. Didn't take much, CA and 1/16" or less basswood. Realinged with a bit of down and right pull and CA'd back in place. Epoxy later when I'm sure. Tiny thing, Bellcrank the smallest that I have seen.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017066
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017065
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017067

Neater than before and quite different from the PO's alignment.

Waiting for green paint.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:32 am

Planning without plans makes it exciting.

Educated guestimates hopefully come close. I traced the existing strut holes on a piece of waxed paper and transfered over to the replacement half wing and will duplicate on the top wing. I'm seriously considering using tooth picks for the wing struts, toothpicks are stronger than balsa - right? Probaby balsa or luan rectangular strips for the cabane struts.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017068
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017069
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017070
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017072
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017071

The more I get into this wreck the more I like it. Neglected puppy kicked to the curb and nursed back to health. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:49 am

Awesome Bob , all the Kings Horses and all the Kings men couldn’t put humpty together again, but you’re gettin er done on the Spad … good work
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:51 am

hey Bob, i reckon this will be one of your biggest rescue jobs Laughing Thumbs Up
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:36 am

Thanks guys.

One step forward, two steps back. I thought I would avoid edge bleed by coating the top wing with clear before applying color.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017073

When I removed the masking tape it lifted the color. I did not use the clear on the half wing and it turned out perfect. I attempted to duplicate the original builders blotchy camo scheme by tracing it out on waxed paper.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017074

Oh well. touched it up with a fine camels hair brush. Found a close green at Walmart. Satin Spring Grass. If nothing else the name works for me. Smile

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017075

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:27 am

Nice!…. That right lower wing had just enough hint to match the camo shapes, Stut locations, etc… Never would have thought you would have got that close on the green with an off the shelf store product…. That was a thoughtful way to replicate the camo shapes thru the wax paper Thumbs Up
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:33 am

Figuring - ratio and proportion, about 9 units to 12.  It's going to be - Looks close enough!!! when cutting the struts to length which will set the distance between the top and bottom wings.  Has to be correct N/S, E/W, up/down and leading to trailing edges one to the other.  So I built a jig which hopefully will square everything up when it comes to gluing.  Flat bottom wings helps.  

The only referance that I have is the existing bottom half wing.  Going with that.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017078
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017077

Plans show the struts to be 2 3/4", tooth picks are about 2 1/2" but both are enbedded in the wings.  The Spad's wings are closer together than most WW1 era fighters.

I wanted to cement everything together at once, but that's not going to happen.  I will have to glue the bottom wing on first then do the struts.  It's going to be interesting.  I have a dozen struts to cut to length, mark, drill and install.  Thinking about dowels instead of tooth picks.

Uncut picks are too tall but have the taper shown on the plan.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Spad_p11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:47 pm

Pitiful but moving along.................

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017082

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017080
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017081

Lower half-wing installed with 30 minute epoxy.  Guaging the top wings position. I cannot figure out how to correctly position the struts!  You would think it would be simple, but it ain't!

Wax paper tracings are not giving me the precision required.  Best way would be to remove the bottom wing and just drill 12 holes straight down from the top and pin and cement the struts.  Top wing is slightly larger than the bottom which complicates.  I'll figure it out but lately it's been tractor time.  A lot of tractor time.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:56 am

Hey Bob looking good , is it got a warp in it reason for alot of support or just support ? I am sure you know you can get longer toothpicks > https://www.amazon.com/HOPELF-Natural-Skewers-BBQ%EF%BC%8CAppetiser%EF%BC%8CFruit%EF%BC%8CCocktail%EF%BC%8CKabob%EF%BC%8CChocolate-Fountain%EF%BC%8CGrilling%EF%BC%8CBarbecue%EF%BC%8CKitchen%EF%BC%8CCrafting/dp/B07MY7XVB1/ref=sr_1_3_sspa? if you still need them . I think the camo came out good I have never tried them before Surprised
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:32 pm

getback wrote:Hey Bob looking good , is it got a warp in it reason for alot of support or just support ? I am sure you know you can get longer toothpicks > https://www.amazon.com/HOPELF-Natural-Skewers-BBQ%EF%BC%8CAppetiser%EF%BC%8CFruit%EF%BC%8CCocktail%EF%BC%8CKabob%EF%BC%8CChocolate-Fountain%EF%BC%8CGrilling%EF%BC%8CBarbecue%EF%BC%8CKitchen%EF%BC%8CCrafting/dp/B07MY7XVB1/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?  if you still need them . I think the camo came out good I have never tried them  before Surprised

Thanks Eric, by coincidence I was in Walmart a couple of days ago and picked up a packaged pair of those bamboo picks. Bamboo is tough but stringy. I painted 12 of them Testors brown. My wood picks did not turn out well using Minwax special walnut stain.

My camo: There is no "right" or "wrong" camo, it's camoflague after all. But there is good or bad camo artistic wise, mine always tends toward the bad side as I am severely limited in artistic qualities. I live with it copying others designs.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:47 pm

Sounds like you have a fix Bob, You beat me to it….I have LOTS of round Bamboo dowel about.100 inch…. And rectangular about 1/4 by a little less than a 16th”…. Showed with a toothpick pick for comparison….. From a scavenged window blind ….Will send some if you think helpful….So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 C0cd4a10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:46 pm

Thanks for the offer Robert.  You share a window blind rescue with roddie who used part of a blind in his P-38 wing.  

But, I think I'm going to wind up using strips of hobby tongue depressers rectangular and tapered on each end to duplicate the original struts.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017083

The old gray matter isn't working like it did even five years ago.  Thought I would build the vertical stab/rudder from memory, not even close.  Looked at the box picture and had a revelation.  Re-did.  Got to size the rudder signature and transfer to a water-slide decal.  I think I can fudge the red and blend in the waves. Made up the exhausts, balsa going into plastic......used both Testors red tube and CA, each one is three pieces.............we will see.  Mistakes, forgot about the top wing being longer by 1/2" each end when I used the waxed paper template to mark the strut holes.  Going to look like a pin cushion before I'm through.  Also wing camber, front struts have to be shorter than the back ones.  Groan.............

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017084
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017085
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017086

If nothing else I'm enjoying beating my brains out over this thing.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:52 pm

Looks like your Enterprise kitted half-A Spad is coming together, Bob.

My Sterling Beginner Fokker DVII used 1/8" dia. dowels with 1/16" thick square .5"x.5" ply as mount plates on the underside of the 1/8" sheet wings for strength.

Still vaguely remember mounting the 12" Comet Spad upper wing to bottom with sanded round 1/16" sq. Balsa stick struts. It was a chore for a 12 y.o. but I managed, was very proud of my Spad as a ceiling hung static display.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:33 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Looks like your Enterprise kitted half-A Spad is coming together, Bob.

My Sterling Beginner Fokker DVII used 1/8" dia. dowels with 1/16" thick square .5"x.5" ply as mount plates on the underside of the 1/8" sheet wings for strength.

Still vaguely remember mounting the 12" Comet Spad upper wing to bottom with sanded round 1/16" sq. Balsa stick struts. It was a chore for a 12 y.o. but I managed, was very proud of my Spad as a ceiling hung static display.

I found one of those Comet SPAD kits some time ago. Fairly cheap @$20 so I bought it. Widow selling her husbands kit collection.

Die cut (crunched) parts? 12" top wing vice 14" for my rebuild.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 S-l16033
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 Spad_e11

Playing around. Most fun I have had for $4.95 + $6.50 shipping.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017088
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:48 am

Well, I was having NO luck centering the top wing over the bottom so I flipped the thing over centered per the pictures below (complicated).  Marked the outline of the cabane struts (reference for the others) with a pencil and cut out the balsa plugs being careful not to break through the top of the wing.  There may be a simpler way to do it.  

Not sure why I included this picture.  I just like it.  Hung on my pencil sharpner.  

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017107

Eyeball!!!!!!!!  Attached tissue covered bottom wing provided little support for the wing struts so I added gusset re-enforcements.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017109
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017108
So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017112

Removing past sins.  Epoxy the cabane struts then set the wings struts (eight of them) by drilling straight down through the bottom (referance) wing.

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017113

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017110

Nothing is straight on this model, it's all guesstimates.  Refer to the title of this thread. Smile

So, slightly bent, broken and abused French Spad is coming home - Page 3 P1017111
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:09 pm

Lots of jigging to get a two winger close to square… And I’m guessing a lot of wet glue joints at once!!….My first two winger was a Goldberg Little Toot with a near worn out Black Widow …. Twitchy, but fun to fly…. Son was about ten at the time and got a big kick out of it…
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next