Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Cox_ba12

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:43 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by rsv1cox Today at 7:36 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:11 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cranking and running Norvel engines

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Empty Re: Cranking and running Norvel engines

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Damn, you drive some serious ride. That trophy appears in the background of my engine stand in some videos. I knocked the little car off of it and now it's somewhere down in a cinder block hole. I'll dig it out one of these days. We had a lot of fun back in the late '70s, early '80s, but we looked more like a chinese fire-drill than an organized drag racing team. I do miss the days I could lay a Muncie 4 speed on my chest and wiggle under the car with it and reach up and slam it into the bell housing. I can barely do that with an oil filter now. Laughing

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Empty Re: Cranking and running Norvel engines

Post  PV Pilot Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Ha, I just did that with a TH 350 recently, and I paid for it the next day. thought I had polio. wont be doing that again anytime soon.

Bought one of these little guy's that slides into a floor jack.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-896500/
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:22 pm

Rusty,

I have a Big Mig .061 I started running just before you started running yours. I have it on a Sig Hummer R/C plane that is about a thousand years or so old. Anyway, it had about seven or eight ounces through it when I brought it to the field today and it started running so well and starting so easily that I bumped it from three to one cylinder head gasket and switched it from the Norvel head and plug to a Galbreath head and Nelson plug. I have not been keeping performance numbers on it but I did notice a good increase in RPM and torque (no sagging under load) while still enjoying its new found easy starting. I did use an electric starter on it for its first run but am using the spring starter now. After the first run it started on the first try every time afterwards. Just passing this on so you know what is coming up with yours.

Heal quickly,

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:05 am

Yeah, mine's gonna run good too. I ran it with a well balanced Cox 5x3 prop and it only spun up to 17.5k, but I bet with a few less shims and the right head, it will spin on up. I don't know where it should peak, but I guess about like the TD .049 range.

I tinkered in the shop today and took off the Babe Bee head and put the Norvel head back on it with 3 shims for further break-in. I'll remove more as I get closer. I washed out my fuel system and installed the spring and the same 5x3 prop. Gave it a coupe of drops of after run oil on the side of the piston. Tuesday is my day to when I can crank it again. I've got the itch, but if my wife will kill me if she catches me abusing my hand. No

I posted in the FAQ over at RCU about my wrist-pin floating. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3747976/anchors_11181266/mpage_20/key_/anchor/tm.htm#11181266

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:19 am

RknRusty wrote:
I posted in the FAQ over at RCU about my wrist-pin floating.

Don't worry about it -- it's normal. There is very little side force on the pin while running so it doesn't require much of a swage to hold it in position.

Here's what AndyW meant about rolling the piston.

Lay the piston on a smooth flat surface with the wrist pin vertical. Place a piece of music wire (I think 1/16" is better since it deforms less metal) at 90 degrees to the rod directly across the wrist pin hole. Now roll the piston so the wire is in contact with only one side of the hole and tap with a hammer. Do the same for the other side. This applies the swage to one side at time and reduces the force necessary for swaging.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:45 am

That makes good sense. I also downloaded your post about the extended head bolts. That's definitely on my list.
Thanks ,
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:45 am

yup, longer head bolts are a must. I popped one of the seemingly delicate stock bolts and just barely had enough material to grab the broken end and rotate it out. Definitely heat the whole motor when backing those out, or you can touch the side of the case by the bolt with a soldering iron, to just heat that area.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:16 pm

RknRusty wrote:Yeah, mine's gonna run good too. I ran it with a well balanced Cox 5x3 prop and it only spun up to 17.5k, but I bet with a few less shims and the right head, it will spin on up. I don't know where it should peak, but I guess about like the TD .049 range.

It should outrun your TD .049 and leave it in the dust... Sad Goodbye

The Norvel .049 is perhaps similar to a TD .049 on larger props but there is no piston balljoint to worry about on the Norvel and you can let it rev. The Norvel .061 is even more powerful...

Hopefully your engine is not run in yet, and can tolerate a higher compression ratio and give more power later on.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 am

Rusty,

Is today the day you can resume prop flipping?
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:06 am

fit90 wrote:Rusty,

Is today the day you can resume prop flipping?
Ha! you caught me on my way out the door. I got my wrapped bandage off and just a big bandaid. On my way to flip... with the spring starter for the first time.
See ya a little later.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 am

Good luck and enjoy!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:14 pm

fit90 wrote:Good luck and enjoy!
Yeah, um...damn. I'm stupified. I've never seen an engine run that fast. First I had a newly made MA 5x3 on it and the spring nicked it. So I threw it away and put an APC 5.5x2 on it and tightened up the mounting screws and that fixed it. I was having a tough time needling it, the o-ring is getting looser and looser and the venturi wobbles around and the needle spins when I let go. But I managed to get a tach on it at less than full speed. What I was able to read and hold long enough to believe it was 23.9K. With me holding the needle still it spun up a lot faster than that. It had to be way over 24K. I hate to ask, but is that even believable?

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:16 pm

RknRusty wrote:
Yeah, um...damn. I'm stupified. I've never seen an engine run that fast. First I had a newly made MA 5x3 on it and the spring nicked it. So I threw it away and put an APC 5.5x2 on it and tightened up the mounting screws and that fixed it. I was having a tough time needling it, the o-ring is getting looser and looser and the venturi wobbles around and the needle spins when I let go. But I managed to get a tach on it at less than full speed. What I was able to read and hold long enough to believe it was 23.9K. With me holding the needle still it spun up a lot faster than that. It had to be way over 24K. I hate to ask, but is that even believable?
Yes they are very numbers for a Norvel on a 5.5x2 Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:44 pm

RknRusty wrote: It had to be way over 24K. I hate to ask, but is that even believable?

Sure, no problem on that prop, welcome to the +25000rpm club. Beer Cheers

Just don't tell any cox TD owners... Shh
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Can't believe it ran that fast with all that stuff loose and wobbling,,amazing.

Old Nascar credo,,"loose is fast".. lol.

I have a composite purple speed prop that is a 4.6 x 2.8 that i got from Larry Kittinger,,hmmm Huh...
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm going to unmount it and fix that loose venturi and needle. And most definitely order a test stand. I don't trust my wooden mount not to cause my death any more.

Beer Cheers Back atcha Kris!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:25 pm

RknRusty wrote:

No! Not believable! Me thinks you are fibbing. lol!

That silly talk about being more powerful than a TD is borderline sacrilige too!

In all seriousness it sounds as if you hit the mark. Hope it works well for you in the future. Rock on with your bad self........

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:37 pm

RknRusty wrote:I'm going to unmount it and fix that loose venturi and needle.

I had noticed that your needle looked a bit free in the video -- a couple of times the extension appeared to get into a harmonic vibration. Here are the pics from RCU on venturi and needle seals and the clipped NV.

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Carb_o10

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Carb_o11

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Nv_fue10

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Clippe10

Clipping the extension, if feasible, really cuts down on needle vibration and subsequent wear on the NV threads. A small nick filed into the knurled end will let you easily index it.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:57 pm

I removed my venturi this afternoon. I was able to press a fine threaded spray bar into the case after I opened the hole. The stock spray bar is .114". The other end is .009". My theory is the knurling on the spray bar probably has swelled the metal which is the difference in measurement. This wasn't a issue to Cox probably due to the molded plastic backplates they were pressed into. The closest number drill I had measured .1085". I was able to carefully and accurately open the holes as the bit just followed what was there for the venturi through bolt. I then used a piece of cylindrical steel stock approx 5/16" round and chucked it up in the drill press. I placed the case into a v block and supported it. I used the drill press to press the spray bar into the case. The knurling on the spray bar worked great and will prevent it from spinning. The spray bar has a shoulder on it that allows the spray bar to stop. The hole in the spray bar isn't quite centered but for pressure will work close enough. In the event you want to go back and put the stock venturi back in, press the bar back out and the stock bolt will still work. For running pressure, I doubt your going to see any better performance than this. Generally, my launch rpm is about 26500 using a APC 4.6 x 3. Ken
Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Dscn1510
Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Dscn1511
Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Dscn1512

Last edited by Ken Cook on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Ditto to Andrew's post. I use the fuel tube venturi gasket with fuel tubing over the needle valve on my Norvels. I have just had better luck with that. If you go to the fine thread NVA the needle has a lock nut. It is a pain in the butt until you nail down your needle setting.

I bet you were beginning to doubt us when we were saying it would be tough to get going but worth it once you got it going.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:17 pm

Yep, definitely going to tighten up the stock venturi. Once I'm satisfied with that, I'll put the pressure setup on it and get the hang of it on the bench. I saw that lock nut, good idea. I ordered a test stand from Bernie today.

I was talking of putting this thing on the Baby Flite Streak, but I might need to drag a brick behind it to slow it down enough to handle. The Junior FS is supposed to have a .41 engine, so I guess that's too much plane for the Norvel. Decisions decisions. I'll be building something for the MP Jet and the Tee Dee .09 too. I'm going to be a busy.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:35 pm

I subscribe to the you can never have too much power theory. I actually fly my Baby Flitestreak with Norvel power. I'm not on pressure mind you, but there's a lot to do to keep things mild. Propping correctly is certainly the best as you can let the engine rev and not allow the plane to go a zillion miles an hour. I certainly feel the APC 5.5 x 2 would do the trick as I use a similar setup on another model of about the same squares. Adding additional head gaskets is another good tuning device. I know your limited for space, flying on longer lines is a very simple adjustment to slow the plane down. You can also keep your nitro down, this can be problematic at times using pressure as the plug wants to cool immediately. Choking down your venturi area can keep things mild as well and this can be done several ways. Seeing what looks like an r/c carb on there this would be very easy to do. You could make a piece of music wire hook going from your engine mounting screws to the throttle arm on the carb. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Ken Cook wrote: I removed my venturi this afternoon. I was able to press a fine threaded spray bar into the case after I opened the hole. The stock spray bar is .114". The other end is .009". My theory is the knurling on the spray bar probably has swelled the metal which is the difference in measurement. This wasn't a issue to Cox probably due to the molded plastic backplates they were pressed into. The closest number drill I had measured .1085". I was able to carefully and accurately open the holes as the bit just followed what was there for the venturi through bolt. I then used a piece of cylindrical steel stock approx 5/16" round and chucked it up in the drill press. I placed the case into a v block and supported it. I used the drill press to press the spray bar into the case. The knurling on the spray bar worked great and will prevent it from spinning. The spray bar has a shoulder on it that allows the spray bar to stop. The hole in the spray bar isn't quite centered but for pressure will work close enough. In the event you want to go back and put the stock venturi back in, press the bar back out and the stock bolt will still work. For running pressure, I doubt your going to see any better performance than this. Generally, my launch rpm is about 26500 using a APC 4.6 x 3. Ken
Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Dscn1510
Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Dscn1511
Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 5 Dscn1512

Ken, That looks like a great idea. It also looks like you did a super clean job executing your idea. I hope you are not offended if I try that myself in the future. It looks too good to pass up.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:12 pm

I have a Norvel with no carb and spare 190 backplate I think I'll give it a try too!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 pm

nitroairplane wrote:I have a Norvel with no carb and spare 190 backplate I think I'll give it a try too!

Hey! What did you do to my Norvel? Affraid or WOW!

lol!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next