Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 10 Cox_ba12

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 10 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 8:59 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Today at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Today at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Today at 8:49 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 7:46 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 7:37 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:29 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Today at 9:49 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by rsv1cox Today at 9:39 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 10 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cranking and running Norvel engines

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 10 Empty Re: Cranking and running Norvel engines

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:39 pm

I already put it back together, cleaned it up, polished the crank and pressed the piston pin out so I could reverse the con-rod and put the oil hole on it's leading edge where it'll scoop oil as it goes around. The pin was gummy anyway and needed polishing. So it's all good, wrapped up and back in the drawer until it gets a job.

If anyone thinks that oil hole should be on the other side, please tell me and I'll switch it on all of my Big Migs.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 10 Empty Re: Cranking and running Norvel engines

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:51 am

It looked fine to me as it was, but I would have to check on my engines to see what they actually have.
I guess you want the hole to be on the leading side as it goes through BDC?
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:46 am

I just checked one I had at the office --- it was oriented the same as Rusty's original.

Ramblings:

Since the hole is nearer the bottom of the rod, when placed on the right (looking from the back), it will have fuel/oil forced into it from TDC to BDC. The case will have it's maximum mixture load during this cycle; the rod will be displacing fuel/oil/air as it moves along the side of the case; being on the right, this section of the rod will have maximum velocity and consequently maximum packing of lube; at this part of the cycle (firing), the top of the rod journal will be pressed against the crankpin, so any slop will be on the bottom of the journal and would be loaded with lube.

That's ma' story and Ah'm stickin' to it. Realistically, given 300 revolutions/second, it probably doesn't really matter where it is.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:57 am

Hmmm, wish I had one that hadn't ever been taken apart. I neglected to imagine it turning with the cylinder on its side as in a beam mount. I can see the sense in it being on the right side now. It may actually not matter. I think I'll ask over at the NV Engines forum. I may get an answer in a month. Thanks for the replies.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:26 pm

After searching, the answer seems to be that the oil hole could come from the factory facing either direction. Someone from Sig claimed that when they sold them, they usually assembled the piston and rod with the hole as I have positioned it, on the leading edge of the sweep. That's the way it is on my MP Jet and, iirc, the Thunder Tiger too.

EDIT: The Admin at the NVengines.com forum also says to put the hole on the lead edge of the sweep. Meaning, if you hold the engine with the cylinder vertical and look into the back, the oil hole should be on the left side of the rod.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cranking and running Norvel engines - Page 10 Empty RE:Cranking and running Norvel engines

Post  66 Malibu Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Rusty,
FWIW...Today, I opened the back plate on a NIB Big Mig .061 Rev Lite, a used non Rev Lite .061 AME, and a new AME ZEUS early short case .049 and all three had the oil hole on the right side of the con rod looking from the back of the engine. I'm 100% sure that engines #1 and #3 were never touched by anyone but me since they left the factory...Maybe this adds to the controversy or not ????
Steve.......
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:23 pm

Controversy, well Damn! That it does, Malibu.
I can see agreeable arguments for putting it on either side. If it's on the trailing edge and running as a sidewinder(which almost all do), the pressure created as the rod end and hole pass through the puddle starting 45deg before BDC(assuming there is one) would force oil into the hole. My previous premise is, if it's on the other side, as it sweeps it picks up any incidental oil that it encounters during every tangent its rotation.

Who the hell knows. Maybe that's why they come from the factory, or so I hear, both ways. Maybe someone is doing a secret study to see which ones blow up first. Funny thing, I've never heard of a Norvel blowing up.

Hahaheehee, they're coming to take me away hahaheehee... to a wonderful place where every day is a beautiful day hahahee hee...

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:29 pm

RknRusty wrote:.......If it's on the trailing edge and running as a sidewinder(which almost all do)...

But, .... There's a large number of us who run these engines w/o throttle on RC's where the engines are usually mounted upright. Very Happy
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:56 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about you dudes. Laughing Sorry about that.
I suppose it's possible that the ones shipped with a carb had the hole on the left and the ones shipped with only a CL venturi had the hole on the right. Somehow I doubt that and I don't think we'll ever know.
As of now, all of mine are on the left, and I'm not going to the trouble of changing them. Especially since it involves beating on the piston with a hammer and a piece of music wire to re-stake the pin after pressing it out... hahaheehee...

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10