Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

sewn hinge - The Refried Bean Build-It flies - Page 6 Cox_ba12

sewn hinge - The Refried Bean Build-It flies - Page 6 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox water wizard
by getback Today at 7:01 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:29 am

» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

sewn hinge - The Refried Bean Build-It flies - Page 6 Empty
Live on Patrol

The Refried Bean Build-It flies

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

sewn hinge - The Refried Bean Build-It flies - Page 6 Empty Re: The Refried Bean Build-It flies

Post  andrew Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:06 pm

Good show!!! That's showing those folks how to fly 1/2A.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

sewn hinge - The Refried Bean Build-It flies - Page 6 Empty Re: The Refried Bean Build-It flies

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:08 am

Yeah, I like reminding them how to have fun. I need to polish my act though. My usual routine is getting stale, but I'm working on some new tricks.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:36 am

Rusty, that was great. I love hearing that slow lumbering engine in the background and then you have this zippy little 1/2A. Reading your post and seeing your picture, it appears that your using the muffler. I would certainly opt for losing that if that field allows for it. If not, the stinger can certainly be opened up more. The stingers are pressed into the muffler body so step the bits up rather than go for the gusto and one large drill bit. You can hear the prop loading the engine through the maneuvers. This can be deceiving due to the muffler holding back the engine. This can also be the situation if your flying with short lines. If the muffler can be removed in combination with a 5x3 prop,it would give the engine some breathing room. This would allow it to run in it's happy state throughout the maneuver. It would also send your cg rearward not to mention improve the overall turning rate of the plane. Ken

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:08 am

Fantastic Rusty, that looks like you may have been having just a little too much fun there.

BTW I thought it sounded great.
Cool
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:30 am

Ken Cook wrote: Rusty, that was great. I love hearing that slow lumbering engine in the background and then you have this zippy little 1/2A. Reading your post and seeing your picture, it appears that your using the muffler. I would certainly opt for losing that if that field allows for it. If not, the stinger can certainly be opened up more. The stingers are pressed into the muffler body so step the bits up rather than go for the gusto and one large drill bit. You can hear the prop loading the engine through the maneuvers. This can be deceiving due to the muffler holding back the engine. This can also be the situation if your flying with short lines. If the muffler can be removed in combination with a 5x3 prop,it would give the engine some breathing room. This would allow it to run in it's happy state throughout the maneuver. It would also send your cg rearward not to mention improve the overall turning rate of the plane. Ken

I have thought of all of that, Ken, but you just said it more eloquently. The muffler's coming off. It will make handling the hemostats easier too.

John...I ain't never had too much fun! sunny

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:00 am

Very cool wild flight! What line length are you running with this?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:49 am

pkrankow wrote:Very cool wild flight! What line length are you running with this?

Phil
Thanks Phil, definitely a fun flyer. It makes that two months of work worth the effort. That was on 40' lines. It was not as fast as I expected, so as recommended I'm going try different props to get that engine running like it should. If it moves a lot faster I'll have to rig up a 45' or 50' handle. As I found when I first flew my Baby Streak, an extra 5' makes a world of difference. Since the whole thing only weighs about 6.7 ounces, I'm thinking there's no speed limit.

I wish I could have done a better landing. But sometimes I still manage to find a way to run dry while it's upside down. I had no glide speed. Thinking back, it was high enough that if I had dove straight down and pulled up at 10', maybe I could have set it down more softly, or at least right side up. And not bent the needle, and scraped up the canopy. Oh well, that's control line flying. It doesn't take much time to knock some of the pretty off. Rolling Eyes

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:23 pm

RknRusty wrote:
Oh well, that's control line flying. It doesn't take much time to knock some of the pretty off. Rolling Eyes

Pretty is as pretty does. You can't see any scrapes when you're doing the doo-dahs --- and it does those "pretty well".
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:33 pm

RknRusty wrote:She flies.
When I go flying, I go with 40 pounds of gear. Thank goodness I can drive onto the circle. I really should downsize.

NO WAY !!!!!! Mark my words Mr. Rusty: "You don't take...You gonna need it"!!!!!!!!

I hold, as evidence, my many decades of providing replacement parts in the field for these Light Haulers !!!!

They may pick on us as we lug our formidable cargo boxes, but when one of their little darlings hurls all but one of it's engine mounting screws into yonder clover field...WHERE...do they go but to Kim's-magic-crate of-all-things-airplane !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:24 pm

I suddenly feel lucky that I open the garage door, walk to the other side of the drive way and set up usually with a pint of fuel, battery, and lines.

...or does that mean I bring my entire house with me?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:38 pm

There were two things I think needed adjusting. It was more stable in the flat laps than necessary, and the loops were slightly larger than I thought they should be.
My other concern was the engine was laboring more than it should in the loops.

I removed the muffler and swapped the wheel for a smaller one, and removed the dime tail weight. That shifted the CG rearward about 1/8". I'll adjust it a little bit at a time until I find the sweet spot. Right now I have no added weight anywhere on the plane and I think it's pretty close. Hopefully that will tighten up the loops.

With the 6x3 prop, it ran somewhere around 18,500 to 19,000 RPM on the ground(I don't remember exactly). I went down on the prop to a 5.5x3. It now peaks on the ground at 22,300 RPM and still runs steady rich at 21,000. I could not run it rich at all with the 6" prop. Not knowing Norvels yet, I don't know if that will be enough to keep the engine happy. I'm guessing it will, since before I sprung a venturi leak with the 6x3, it was really not as boggy in the loops as you saw in the video, but possibly running too lean. It will be faster, for sure.

I also got the venturi sealed up so now it's tight and there is no air leaking.

I expect I can get out to test it again this weekend, so I'll report back on how it flies this time around.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6