Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Cox_ba12

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 5:44 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Empty
Live on Patrol

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Empty La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020

Post  sdjjadk Wed May 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Hello all,
I know the La Stick has been done once or twice already but I thought I'd share the build anyway. And before I begin, I want to thank Dave Fritzke & Gene Rock for sharing their excellent plans!

I'm building the plane for a few reasons.

1. I have 2 Pee Wee .020's. One with a high comp head and one without and I needed an excuse to see the performance difference.

2. I just got into cutting foam wing cores and wanted to start with something simple and low cost.

3. I wanted a test bed to see how well it will fly with both a conventional built up wing and a foam core wing.

4. I built an Ace Littlest Stick powered with an .020 back in the 80's and it was neat little flyer and I have been wanting another one and the La Stick fits the bill nicely.

The build may a bit slow due to my hectic work schedule but I will get it done!! So please bare with me.

The built up wing will have dihedral and no ailerons and the foam core wing will have ailerons and no dihedral.

Here a few pics of my progress so far.

I have the foam core cut and ready for sanding, leading & trailing edges and sheeting.
I cut and sanded the balsa ribs and the stab & elevator out yesterday evening. Only took about 45 minutes for the ribs and about 5 minutes for the stab.

The radio that will be used is a Spectrum DX-8, Spectrum AR6100e rx, E-Flite DS75 digital sub micro servos.
And I need recommendations for the rx battery.

Thanks,
Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Foamco10
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Ribcut10
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Ribcut11
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Cox02010

Last edited by sdjjadk on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Empty Re: La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020

Post  sdjjadk Wed May 29, 2013 2:09 pm

I now have the fuse sides, rear former and rudder cutout and sanded. So all of the main balsa parts are done and ready to assemble. However, I need to get some 1/16 ply for the firewall, front former and dihedral brace and a few misc. items before I can start gluing pieces together. I'm going to try and start the build this Saturday and will post pics as I go along.

Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fuse11

Last edited by sdjjadk on Wed May 29, 2013 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Empty Re: La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020

Post  sdjjadk Wed May 29, 2013 2:14 pm

I forgot to add that I am omitting the landing gear as I am flying off a grass runway and it will save a little bit of weight as well.
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu May 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Not much interest I see. Anyone here have one these planes
that can give me a recommendation for a good light weight
rx battery?
I'm using a Spectrum. AR6100e rx and for now, 2 E-Flite Ds75 servos.
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Sometimes folks like to look, but not touch. That's what I like to think anyway. You have done a real good job cutting out the pieces. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

You could always use a Lipo with a voltage step up unit.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Fri May 31, 2013 11:41 am

cribbs74 wrote:Sometimes folks like to look, but not touch. That's what I like to think anyway. You have done a real good job cutting out the pieces. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.

You could always use a Lipo with a voltage step up unit.

Ron
Thanks Ron. I think I'll go the LiPo route.
I made some changes to the build and decided to use balsa for the front former and the dihedral brace instead of ply to save a little weight. Grant it, it's not a huge difference, but it's weight savings none the less and it will still have plenty of strength.
In fact, the Littlest Stick from Fred Reese used balsa formers and a balsa dihedral brace with no problems. I'm also leaving out the balsa rails for the removable partitions as I do not need them for anything. I'm going to try and build the fuse tonight after work and will post more pics.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:47 am

Not much to report as I fell under the weather. I'll continue the build when I'm feeling better.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:39 pm

get well soon! cant wait to see more progress, you are doing great Smile
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:32 pm

mitchg95 wrote:get well soon! cant wait to see more progress, you are doing great Smile
Thanks Mitch. Smile
I'm back to 100% now and ready to get back to building. At least until Monday and then I'm going on a family vacation / trip for 7 days to the mountains of W.V.!! cheers Beer Cheers I work in the I.T. field as a network admin / computer tech / slave and although it can be pretty cool, it can also be stressful and the hours can be crazy. Sometimes 70+ hrs a week! Computer Issues So I am looking forward to being away from computers of any kind. Which means, come Monday, No phone, no lights no motor cars, Not a single luxury, Like Robinson Crusoe, As primitive as can be. Laughing

Okay back to the build. I got some 1/32 sheeting for the foam wing core and will try and get that shucked up tonight, I have the fuse on the building table as I type and will start gluing it up here in a bit.
Since I am trying to make this as low cost as possible and there are really no "real" hobby shops within 2 hours or more, I have to be a little resourceful when it comes to some of the building materials and I found that the coffee straws at 7-11 that are perfect for push rod guide tubes and they were free!
I will post pics after I get the fuse glued up.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:05 pm

No phone, no lights no motor cars, Not a single luxury, Like Robinson Crusoe, As primitive as can be. Laughing

Shawn[/quote]

lol, perfect weird al yankovic reference Smile
ill have to use some coffee straws on my flight contest plane that im building, all i have to do is charge battery hook up linkages and get it properly balanced
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:22 pm

Weird Al is a laugh and a half.
Yeah the coffee straws worked pretty good. I didn't get as much done on the build as I wanted to as my wife roped me into helping her with some packing for the trip. So I was only able to get about an hours worth of build time. But it was a productive hour as I was able to complete the fuse less finish sanding and I need to make a spacer for the engine because the needle valve sits right up against the firewall which will make it a pain to make adjustments. I wanted to get the foam wing core skinned but it got too late so I'll work on that tomorrow. I set the rudder in, mounted the engine and laid the wing on the fuse and I think I did something wrong because it look looks a bit like a Stick. Very Happy Rolling Eyes

Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fuse110
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fuse210
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fuse610
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fuse710
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:38 pm

lookin' good Clapping
even if its just an hour, it still better than none
keep up the excellent work Smile
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:00 pm

Thanks Mitch. It's been a simple, fun and relaxing build so far.
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:39 pm

thats what i like about building Smile
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Lovely plane Shawn.

I like the use of the straws. I, myself, am also possessed with the recup' idea. It gives me an enormous satisfaction: bicycle spokes, plastic lolypop sticks, steel spring wire from mouse traps, terminal blocks, coke can metal...Maybe we could start a thread on the subject.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:04 pm

OVERLORD wrote:Lovely plane Shawn.

I like the use of the straws. I, myself, am also possessed with the recup' idea. It gives me an enormous satisfaction: bicycle spokes, plastic lolypop sticks, steel spring wire from mouse traps, terminal blocks, coke can metal...Maybe we could start a thread on the subject.

Lieven
Hi Lieven how are you?
Yeah I think a thread on alternative modeling materials would be cool. I can remember an article in Model Aviation that came out back in the 80's that had a pull out plan of a .35 size control line WWII Fighter made of cardboard. I thought that was the neatest thing. And the cardboard was surprisingly easy to build with. It was a little heavy but it worked great. Smile

Shawn

Last edited by sdjjadk on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:15 pm

The fuse is now complete with servo rails installed, an engine spacer glued on and final sanded and ready for covering. Now it's on to the wings. I got the foam core skinned and drying in the shucks. This is the first foam wing I ever made using a hot wire bow and my first time sheeting a foam wing. I hope it turns out good. So I ask that everyone keeps their fingers crossed! After I finish up the that wing, I'll start building the balsa wing. I was hoping to have the plane done in time to take with me on vacation but it's gonna have to wait until I get back.

Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fw110
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fw210
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fw310
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fw410
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Empty Woo Hoo Success!!!

Post  sdjjadk Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:37 am

I went out to my shop and pulled the wing from the shucks and it turned out GREAT!! It turned out strong and feels very light. I don't have a scale so I am only going by feel but I think it will fly just fine. I still have a little sanding to do for the leading edge cap which I will do here in a little bit and will post more pics.

Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Wing10
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:13 pm

very nice Smile
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bullit132 Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:48 pm

very nice,im not up to level of building yet,nice to see your work Small Cox Logo cheers
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:29 pm

I got in quite a bit of time out in my shop today and was able to get quite a bit done. I glued the leading edge cap on the foam wing, trimmed and sanded it so all that is left is the trailing edge, wing tips, ailerons and mount the aileron servo. So far the foam wing is turning out really good. I also built the balsa wing and got it finished. I just need to fill a couple low spots in the center section sheeting with some micro-lite filler, give it a final sand and it'll be ready to cover. I'm pretty much at a stopping point right now as I needed to order some linkage pieces for the ailerons, some covering and some micro control horns. Here are a few pics of my progress. I wanted to take more pics but the batteries in my camera died. I'll finish the build when I get back from vacation. I'll be back in 8 days.

Until then, Happy Landings.
Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fwle10
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fwle210
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fwle410
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fwle610
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Wb110
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Wb210
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Wb410
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:09 am

I couldn't just let my plane sit out in the shop all alone so I did some sanding and I think I sanded way too much. Sad

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Stick10

Now I know why they call it a Stick! Laughing
Sorry I couldn't resist.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:10 am

I did however make the cutout for the aileron servo in the foam wing. It was pretty simple to do. I cut the bottom sheeting at the thickest part of the airfoil and I heated a piece of wire to melt the foam and traced around the cut out. I made the cut out a little bigger than the servo case so I could box it in with some 1/32 balsa for added strength. Once the glue dries, I'll trim it up and add the mounting rails. For all of the foam wing construction, I'm using Gorilla wood glue and I'm really liking it. I normally use Tite-Bond but decided to try the Gorilla glue as it was on sale. It's excellent stuff. It dries fast and sands easily.

Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fwsc10
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:26 am

Hello all,
I got back from vacation yesterday and wanted to continue the build today, but the local train / r/c car shop was closed so I won't be able to pick up the stuff I ordered until Thursday.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:02 am

It is remarkable that this aircraft design is still popular in modelling after almost 100 years of existance.

Why is it called "stick" ?

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 20080110

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 Fokker10

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next