Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Cox_ba12

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:24 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 7:20 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Empty Re: La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020

Post  sdjjadk Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:19 am

OVERLORD wrote:It is remarkable that this aircraft design is still popular in modelling after almost 100 years of existance.

Why is it called "stick" ?

Lieven
Good question, I did a search once and never really found any info other than Phil Kraft wanted an airplane that was easy to build in a minimum amount of time and was easy to fly. Although, I hope mine doesn't end up looking like the last pic you posted.Pray  And your right, the "Stick" design has stayed around for a long time. And the reason I think they are so popular is they are simple to build and they fly really good.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Empty Re: La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020

Post  OVERLORD Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Shawn, This could be a nice bit of etymology research. As you said, the design was picked up again by Phil Kraft in 1966. The name used in his drawings is "Das Ugly Stik" or "Das Ugly Stick" . Phil's last name indicates that he had German ancestors, hence the use of "das"? I would have thought that the word STIK without a "c" means something in German but my dictionnary says no.

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Ugly_s10

An long thread about this plane can be found at RCuniverse.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2769063/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

I saw the model for the first time in a 70's German Graupner catalogue. It was named Middle Stick and was sometimes shown with Graupner's model Wankel (yeah, with an L at the end!) engine.

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Middle10

The "Ugly Stik", without C, is also the name of a fishing rod made by Shakepeare and the name was pattented in 1976. Did they borrowed the name from the model plane?

All this still doesn't explain where the name exactly comes from. Is Phil Kraft still among us? He could probably tell.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks for the link and the pictures. You mentioned the Graupner Wankel, I have a Type-1 .30 that I need to build an exhaust for.
And yes it is pretty interesting about the name and that the different variations omitted the C as well as the different names such as Das Lucky Stik, Das Ugly Stick etc.... In fact my very first r/c kit was a Model Tech Das Lucky Stik A.R.C. that I got back in the 80's. Unfortunately, it was a 5 o'clock Friday kit that had sheeted foam core wings that didn't line up too well. From what I can remember, one wing was thicker than the other and the slots for the dihedral brace were off center so I took it back to the hobby shop for a refund.
Also, maybe you can help me out with a name here, but I remember back in the 80's there were a series of kits and or A.R.F.'s that looked like different Stik variations. 1 was a high wing , 1 was a low wing etc.. and they were all covered in transparent colors. And if my memory serves me correctly, they were called the Barnstormer Series. I'd love to have some plans for them.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 pm

It's an American slang term, ugly stick as in beaten with an ugly stick...the plane originally was a quick build test-bed for Kraft's' radios, not the best looking plane...it looked like it was beaten with a ugly stick.

And you're probably right, Kraft likely took the 'stik' from the fishing rod.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:55 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:It's an American slang term, ugly stick as in beaten with an ugly stick...the plane originally was a quick build test-bed for Kraft's' radios, not the best looking plane...it looked like it was beaten with a ugly stick.

And you're probably right, Kraft likely took the 'stik' from the fishing rod.
Thanks for the info. I bet Phil never thought his creation would become so popular and have so many different variations. But that's the neat thing about the designers of yesteryear, they were ahead of their time.
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Sorry for the delay in posting pics. My work schedule is back to abnormal now LOL. Also, I have a small side business building my own design Talk Boxes for guitars and I had to build one for a customer. They are used to make your guitar sound like it is talking much like Peter Frampton and Joe Walsh etc...
Here is a picture of one that is part of my "Road Worn" series complete with a simulated cigarette burn.

Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Tb10

sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Now back to the build.
I'm still waiting for parts and covering as the order was delayed at the hobby shop. However, I was able to make a little more progress. I cut out the ailerons, trailing edge and made my own aileron torque rods. I ordered some Dubro hardware to make connections to the servo and will hopefully have those parts in a couple days.
I think I may have over built the wing and I am hoping it won't be too heavy. If it is, I can always use it on an .049 powered plane.

Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Fw_ail10
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Fw_ail12
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Fw_ail11
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:31 pm

lookin' good Very Happy
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks,
It's getting there slowly but surely. If the rest of the stuff I ordered gets here in the next couple of days, I'm gonna try and get it finished by the weekend. Although I still need a battery pack. Also, I was able to make some control horns and since I'm not using a switch, I added a hatch on the front of the fuse for easy battery connections.

Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Cntrl_10
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Hatch10
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:14 pm

I finally got the rest of stuff to finish the build so now everything is done and except for covering which I will do tomorrow.
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Empty It's Done!

Post  sdjjadk Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Here it is complete. I still need to get a battery and it will be ready for the maiden. I'm still going to cover the foam core wing, but I think it's going to end up being too heavy. Sad
I'm thinking of getting one of these batteries. http://coxengines.ca/cox-micro-receiver-battery-pack.html
Have any of you guys used one? If so, what kind of flight times did it give?

Here are some pics of my new La Stick.

Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Ls110
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Ls210
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Ls510

Last edited by sdjjadk on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Here are a couple pics of the foam core wing as well.
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Fwa110
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Fwa210

Last edited by sdjjadk on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Nice looking plane, Shawn. Are you going to stick on some Maltese crosses?

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:11 pm

Nice looking plane, as far as CG goes, somewhere close to the spar will get you airborne, adjust to taste after that.

I'd think Cox Micro Receiver Battery Pack would work fine, i do wonder how old they are?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:23 pm

OVERLORD wrote:Nice looking plane, Shawn. Are you going to stick on some Maltese crosses?

Lieven
Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with the crosses or not. I have been looking at some other options but can't seem to make up my mind. Smile

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Nice looking plane, as far as CG goes, somewhere close to the spar will get you airborne, adjust to taste after that.

I'd think Cox Micro Receiver Battery Pack would work fine, i do wonder how old they are?
Thanks. I was thinking the spar too but I wanted to be sure. As far as the battery pack goes, that's a good question. I'll send Bernie an e-mail and ask him.
Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:40 pm

The foam core wing is now finished and will post pics tomorrow.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Here are a couple pics of the completed foam core wing. I'm going to see if my local Post Office will weigh it for me. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and it will be light enough for the .020 to fly it.

Shawn

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Foamco10
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Foamco11
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Empty I have a weight question

Post  sdjjadk Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:39 pm

The Postal Clerk let me use the scale to weigh the plane. The weight less battery is 4.2 oz. and with the .09 oz. battery that I'm getting, the AUW with the built up wing be 5.1 oz. less fuel. But I found that the AUW with the foam core wing will be a whopping 9.1 oz. less fuel (the foam core wing weighs 3.2 oz.) So do you guys think that a Pee Wee .020 will perform well on a 9 oz. plane? Or should I save that wing for an .049 powered project?

Thanks,
Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Empty I got my graphics done.

Post  sdjjadk Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Hello all,
I got my graphics done. Instead of using the Maltese crosses and having my stick look like every other one out there, I decided to go with something I've never seen on a stick before. Some of you that remember the 70's and 80's may be able to guess where I got my inspiration from. Smile I did have to remove some covering and extend the white covering 1 more rib bay so the decals would fit and have the proper proportions.

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Stick110

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:33 pm

Looks good, Shawn. Different is good. I came of age in the '70s but much of it is hazy... think purple haze. So I don't get it right off the bat.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:37 pm

sdjjadk wrote:... I found that the AUW with the foam core wing will be a whopping 9.1 oz. less fuel (the foam core wing weighs 3.2 oz.) So do you guys think that a Pee Wee .020 will perform well on a 9 oz. plane?  Or should I save that wing for an .049 powered project?

Thanks,
Shawn
I can't answer that for an RC plane, but I know it wouldn't work on a CL plane. I will guess, since no one has tossed in an opinion since you asked, that if the plane is a good floater, it will fly with the .020. Even better if it was a Tee Dee ,020.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:39 pm

RknRusty wrote:Looks good, Shawn. Different is good. I came of age in the '70s but much of it is hazy... think purple haze. So I don't get it right off the bat.
Rusty
Hi Rusty, The decals are based on a kite that was pretty popular back those days called the "Sky Spy" .
 La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Skyspy10

Shawn

Last edited by sdjjadk on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:47 pm

RknRusty wrote:
sdjjadk wrote:... I found that the AUW with the foam core wing will be a whopping 9.1 oz. less fuel (the foam core wing weighs 3.2 oz.) So do you guys think that a Pee Wee .020 will perform well on a 9 oz. plane?  Or should I save that wing for an .049 powered project?

Thanks,
Shawn
I can't answer that for an RC plane, but I know it wouldn't work on a CL plane. I will guess, since no one has tossed in an opinion since you asked, that if the plane is a good floater, it will fly with the .020. Even better if it was a Tee Dee ,020.
If the engine performs well and the plane flies good, I might try the wing and see how it does.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

La Stick Scratch Build for Cox Pee Wee .020 - Page 2 Empty It flies!

Post  sdjjadk Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Hello all, I was able to make maiden flight today. Although it was the shortest maiden ever, it was still a maiden flight.
The weather wasn't the best as there were a few light rain showers here and there and it was sticky and humid between rain showers which caused the needle setting to be a little finicky. So on the first flight, the engine quit after about 20 seconds. Unfortunately, by the time I got it refueled and ready to fly again, the wind started gusting and it started raining again so I packed it in and called it a day. Even though it was a short flight, it flew really good, was stable and super easy to land. Hopefully it will be nice next weekend and I will be able to get some much longer flight times as well as some flight video.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2