Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Cox_ba12

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 10:35 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 10:28 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by MauricioB Today at 9:55 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 6:33 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Today at 4:30 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by mike in SC Today at 3:04 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by akjgardner Today at 10:34 am

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Today at 7:19 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 7:16 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Today at 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Today at 3:45 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by latole Today at 3:20 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Empty
Live on Patrol

Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:02 pm

You had good fortune there, Rod. These Carmax folks in Lubbock wouldn't budge, claiming costs are such. They already claimed that their price is a no dicker (no change) price (although they do have leeway to lower a cars cost to sell it). I even tried to negotiate their $230 documentation fee. I was planning to take the title directly to the motor vehicle registration office, so I could file for the military veteran discount on fees. You'd think because of all their mistakes, they would have done something to compensate. Their manager left a message on my phone after the weekend to tell me that either I purchase the car or they'd release the hold on it, no tactfulness at all. I called the sales girl back, told her to release it.

I saw a very good price on a fully equipped 2016 at a Chevrolet dealer in the Dallas TX area. I went through my insurance company to get a good rate on it. Their financial manager told me that a bank cashier's check would take the same time to clear as a personal check, that I should give them my account information. I had a very short window of availability then. Was planning to either drive 7 hours or fly one way. I told them I was not interested.

Their sales person called me later and asked me why I turned it down. I told her that a bank cashier's check would take the same time to clear (2 to 3 weeks) as a personal check. Their manager called me back to tell me they misunderstood me, cashier's check is as good as cash. Problem is, the bank required 3 day notice (to have cash physically on hand) to write such a large amount. My schedule for the next several weeks would not allow me to take 4 days to work this deal out.

I'm looking for another opportunity, but this time it will be with someone I can work with and get a decent deal too.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:54 am

I have lusted over BMW's and Mercedes for years, having bought a new 2005 Mercedes based (engine, suspension) Chrysler Crossfire and a new 1993 BMW 325is.

Not to long ago my son and I were at the Ford dealers looking over the new Mustangs. While Mark was gabbing with the salesman about the Mustangs specifics I was drooling over a used 2013 Mercedes model 550 AMG. Leather everywhere, buttons to push, accommodations to ogle, an engine to worship. A reasonable $33 K asking.

Salesman noticed and asked if I would like a test ride, sure!! So, after plates were found, license and insurance exchanged Mark and I were off sans salesman. What a car, but what I remember is accessing the on-ramp to the expressway. "Pedal to the metal" and it just flew accelerating to warp speed in an instant under full control. Put the "little" Mercedes and BMW to shame. Having four cars I reluctantly handed back the keys, but kept track of the Mercedes for a week or two before it was finally sold.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 2013_m10

Today, my transportation consists of a 2015 Honda Accord EX bought new, 2007 Honda CR-V also bought new, a 2007 Nissan 350Z six speed roadster bought used and always my MG Midget. I sacrifice the flare of near exotics for the reliability and drivability of Honda, but I still lust for those Germans.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Empty Jaguar 1968 XKE V8

Post  roddie Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:37 pm

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 20200412

I spotted this beautiful vintage Jaguar locally a few days ago. Coincidentally; today while just down the street at the filling station/convenience store.. this 1968 Triumph TR250 pulls-in to gas-up. It's owner was more than happy to allow me to take photos. He said that his car was one of only 8000 built.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 20200413
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 20200414

It was a gorgeous 68F partly-sunny day today here in N. Smithfield, RI. Lynne and I cleared-out some saplings and other small trees around our property's perimeter.. and especially around the back of Lynne's swimming-pool.. Wink
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:38 pm

Beautiful deep blue Triumph Roddie. But what caught my eye was the E type Jaguar.

Years ago I watched Mark Evens rebuild one from the ground up just one of a few vintage cars that he rebuilt. I have his DVD "An MG is Born." But I have his Jaguar rebuild saved.

https://www.markevans.co.uk/television/a-car-is-reborn-e-type/
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:30 am

THIS is a car! ...Havn't got it out of storage yet as we are in the process of moving. But I did fire her up last week. Bought it in 1980 for 75.00 from a guy i was talking to in a bar. Said it had been parked ever since it lost all oil pressure. No rust! Fresh repaint 2 yrs. ago in original paint code. Mostly we drive our trucks but it comes out on special occasions!......those grain bins and elevators behind it were completly leveled by a tornado since that pic was taken! Wife also has a 71 340 Dart Swinger.Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Buyer_10
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:37 am

I love the silhouette of the US cars of the 70-s and 80-s..yours OhBee is an example.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:36 am

balogh wrote:I love the silhouette of the US cars of the 70-s and 80-s..yours OhBee is an example.
Predates those, it is a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T. I was 14 at the time. It was being advertised on TV, newspaper and car magazines.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:32 am

WoWser OHBee that is Nice !! I like the design of a mix of Dodge/Chevy/Pontiac Very Happy I kick myself every time i think i got rid of 68 SS Convertible and the Spitfire that i was tired of working on . And my 56 Chevy 1/2 ton Damnit !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:55 am

getback wrote:WoWser OHBee that is Nice !! I like the design of a mix of Dodge/Chevy/Pontiac Very Happy I kick myself every time i think i got rid of 68 SS Convertible and the Spitfire that i was tired of working on . And my 56 Chevy 1/2 ton Damnit !

Unless your a rock star or a pro basketball player you have to get rid of the old to make room for the new (and help pay for it.)  In the past my turn-over rate has been less than three years per vehicle.  A year or two was not unusual.  Worst new car I ever bought was a 1982 Camaro Z-28.  Disposed of that debacle in a hurry.  Longest kept car is my present 2007 Honda CR-V at 13+ years.  Most satisfying vehicle I have ever owned.  

That said, I would give a lot to have back my 1963 VW Bug, my 1980 MGB-LE, my 1987 Mazda RX-7SE, my 2007 Crossfire, my...………………………….

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 P4180011
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:25 am

Bob, I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time. Still have the 1999 Chevrolet S10 pickup. Kept my 1990 Dodge D150 pickup for 15 years, 1984 Dodge Aries for 14.

Yes, that is a rather well preserved Dodge Charger R/T OhBee has, looks like it just came off the showroom floor, amazing 52 years later, hard to believe it is a half century old.

Back in high school, I owned a 1968 Hino Contessa, basically a Japanese Renault. It was deep blue with a tan interior. Hino obtained the license from Renault, but they improved upon it. The Hino never overheated, the Japanese did this right. It was only 3 years old when I got it, but there was a reason for that. These were basically orphans on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. Budget Rent-A-Car had bought them from the Hino company for use as rentals. They rented them, then the Hino company decided to get out of the car business shortly after. Hino today makes the big trucks and buses. They are basically the Freightliner in the Orient.

I'd buy oil, air filters and points from a Budget employee who owned a few cars and kept the stock of spare parts at his house in Ewa Beach. Here's the same car, but the Japanese left hand drive version. Mine was the export model. The extra gauges like the tachometer are aftermarket. Dash had a really nice blank flat metal panel lending itself to installing gauges. I put an oil pressure and ammeter gauges in mine. Engine was a slant 4 at 56 HP.

I also crashed it in high school, rear ended someone. Then hammered out the dents, continued to drive it until the trunk lid hood (engine is in back) came loose on the highway, flew up and broke the windshield. I sold it to an Air Force owner of the same car for parts.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:30 am

ALL of mine i was in my 20s and hurting for cash, well except the Triumph $25 to take it away Sad It needed alot of work including another engine rebuild?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed May 06, 2020 5:26 pm

rsv1cox wrote: I would give a lot to have back my 1963 VW Bug, my 1980 MGB-LE, my 1987 Mazda RX-7SE, my 2007 Crossfire, my...………………………….

Robert.. Shocked .. you didn't mention the Buick. We are "Buick Guys"... and I just happened to see my "dream-car" for private-sale this afternoon.. right around the corner from where I live.... Shocked Shocked

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 20200510

Damn!

455/4-speed... black on black. The epitome of Detroit muscle.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed May 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Man, that is gorgeous Roddie.

Yes, I would love to have all my old cars back but I'm mostly a small nimble sports car guy. I didn't mention my 2000 Porsche Boxster though. Beautiful car, fast and fun to drive but I was always waiting for the engine to blow and cost me 2/3rds of the value of the car to replace. I was on the Boxster forum at the time and hardly a week went by before someone's engine went bad.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 P4210012
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 P4210011

Mostly though if I had just one car to get back it would be my 1950 powder blue Plymouth convertible, lot's of good memories with that car.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Wed May 06, 2020 6:39 pm

If you see this car in your rear view mirror, get out of the way!!!??? My old mazdaspeed3 (2009). Cheap Thrill!! MarkAutomobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 20190823
Folks if you want a ride that will tickle your fancy for not a lot of money, this is the way to go!!!! Trying to find one that some kid hasn't trashed is another story. Best years 2008/2009. Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed May 06, 2020 6:52 pm

rsv1cox wrote:  Yes, I would love to have all my old cars back but I'm mostly a small nimble sports car guy.  I didn't mention my 2000 Porsche Boxster though.  Beautiful car, fast and fun to drive but I was always waiting for the engine to blow and cost me 2/3rds of the value of the car to replace.   I was on the Boxster forum at the time and hardly a week went by before someone's engine went bad.  

There was a Porsche Boxster around town here a while back. A pretty young blonde girl drove it. One day I saw it smoking "thick white" exhaust.. and thought to myself; oh God... shut it down and call a flat-bed.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Wed May 06, 2020 8:00 pm

OhBee wrote:THIS  is a car! ...Havn't got it out of storage yet as we are in the process of moving. But I did fire her up last week. Bought it in 1980 for 75.00 from a guy i was talking to in a bar. Said it had been parked ever since it lost all oil pressure.  No rust!  Fresh repaint 2 yrs. ago in original paint code. Mostly we drive our trucks but it comes out on special occasions!......those grain bins and elevators behind it were completly  leveled by a tornado  since that pic was taken!  Wife also has a 71 340 Dart Swinger.Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Buyer_10
That R/T has the baddest sounding exhaust of any car I've ever been around.  My brother, a car collector, mostly old Mopars has a 71 Challenger.  The rumble and bark have to be heard to be understood.  He also has an AAR Cuda but even with a six pack that R/T sound makes it sound asthmatic.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu May 07, 2020 6:13 am

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Carcha10
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 83989710

My last mopar bought new in 1965 was identical to this one.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 1965-p10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu May 07, 2020 6:37 am

roddie wrote:
rsv1cox wrote: I would give a lot to have back my 1963 VW Bug, my 1980 MGB-LE, my 1987 Mazda RX-7SE, my 2007 Crossfire, my...………………………….

Robert.. Shocked .. you didn't mention the Buick. We are "Buick Guys"... and I just happened to see my "dream-car" for private-sale this afternoon.. right around the corner from where I live.... Shocked Shocked

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 20200510

Damn!

455/4-speed... black on black. The epitome of Detroit muscle.

These were called Stage 1 I believe, GS was Gran Sport. My buddys girl had one given to her by daddy, my bud would smoke the tires down the whole block. We were about 17, good times!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu May 07, 2020 5:24 pm

Went through some old photos and found another Mopar that I owned.  

1947 Plymouth Coupe nestled beside my Dad's 1953 Nash Statesman.  We drove that Nash from NH to LA 5K miles stopping at all the National Parks on the way.  Between Las Vegas and LA in the middle of the desert Dad smelled gas, got out and found the carburetor leaking gas.  Rest of the trip over at maximum speed Dad figuring the gas would be blown away and evaporate.  Must of worked because we made it.  A little flange work on the gas line fixed it.

'47 Plymouth very uncool for a 17 year old.  Traded it for my all-time favorite, my 1950 Plymouth convertible.  

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Scan_238
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Scan_240
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Scan_239
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Empty my 1991 skyline r32

Post  davidll1984 Sat May 30, 2020 11:00 am

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Image160
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Image161
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Image160
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat May 30, 2020 5:42 pm

OhBee wrote:THIS  is a car! ...Havn't got it out of storage yet as we are in the process of moving. But I did fire her up last week. Bought it in 1980 for 75.00 from a guy i was talking to in a bar. Said it had been parked ever since it lost all oil pressure.  No rust!  Fresh repaint 2 yrs. ago in original paint code. Mostly we drive our trucks but it comes out on special occasions!......those grain bins and elevators behind it were completly  leveled by a tornado  since that pic was taken!  Wife also has a 71 340 Dart Swinger.Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Buyer_10

Very nice. Good price too! I guess in 1980 it was just an old worn out gas guzzler
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat May 30, 2020 6:04 pm

davidll1984 wrote:
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Image161

Right hand drive too David. Why is that?  You're in Quebec aren't you?  I see they have banned the import of RHD vehicles Huh...
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat May 30, 2020 9:57 pm

The Dodge getting a workout! 40 bags of topsoil at 40 lbs each. The back end was wallowing on the way home. Wink

The engine however performed flawlessly, plenty of torque and no more downshifting to third to get up hills.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Cfe4db10

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Empty 1991 skyline from spc8 montreal

Post  davidll1984 Sun May 31, 2020 12:01 pm

oldenginerod y have the cars from 2008 spc 8 montreal auto show october 13 Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Image166
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 9 Image167

Last edited by davidll1984 on Sun May 31, 2020 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : text corection)
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:11 am

I just found this car my father would have liked to modify his mini like this he raced with a civic in the honda michelin trx series raced on ice with the mini cooper if I thought he was far from imagining that such a car would exist one day. of my friend has already put a type r in the same car that my father used Civic and it was crazy fast tink from today its stil one of kind One in the world
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next