Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Cox_ba12

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by rsv1cox Today at 7:04 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:43 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Empty
Live on Patrol

Blizzard check-in

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Empty Re: Blizzard check-in

Post  getback Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:02 pm

just a reminder of the Cold for us that are HOTT!!! Hot Hot Hot Warm Eyebrows Eric Devil  Hows your Blizzard Paranoid
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:58 pm

It's hot up here in Rhode Island too man! Hot Next week there is a heat-wave forecast. Hot

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:27 am

We retired to Texas just for the very long mild-hot- mild from March through Dec and the relatively short winter. This year is one of three in the twenty years we lived here that got scorching hot (105+)

I remember 90+ F days in Tacoma Washington or Fridley Minnesota where the "natives" were very uncomfortable (no need for AC)

Each year we chat up the long cold mouths you northern members have, and I silently smile to my self....but these last several weeks I expect a bunch of you mentally pay me back

Hot
Hot 10:20 AM and 98F heading for 104F today
Warm

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:06 am

I know Roddie was saying the BUG population was low where he is but Fred hows the humidity out there never been Texas , Pretty Nasty here most the time 52-78 % Today only 88 but feels like 98 http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/27283:4:US Babe Bee Skitters been bout to eat my ass up outside in the even hours when it is cooler Paranoid Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:12 pm

I happen to be in Orlando and this is what the dashbord temperature sensor showed early afternoon:

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 100f_o10

Cold Cold  Cold  Cold  Cold  Cold  lol!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TopBannana Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:44 pm

balogh wrote:I happen to be in Orlando and this is what the dashbord temperature sensor showed early afternoon:

lol here in New England it was almost 100 F today
TopBannana
TopBannana
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:17 pm

Yup... we got some snow today.. It started around 7 a.m.

By 2 p.m. it had amounted to this.. about 12" accumulation.

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 2-9-1710

Almost a month to the day (Jan 7th) since the last big storm where I had trouble starting my snow-thrower. I called-out from work this morning and slept until almost noon-time. Laughing Around 3:30.. I went out to clean-off the vehicles and hoped to God (prayed) that the machine would start. It started on the 3rd-pull.. JOY! It's been sitting at the top of the driveway, covered with a tarpaulin.. since January. The fuel-tank wasn't full.. but it wasn't empty either. Rather than shovel-out the shed where the fuel-can is; I opted to run-it and see how far I'd get. She ran strong for the 1.5 hrs. of clean-up that I did.

Lynne took some photos..

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 2-9-1711
Blizzard check-in - Page 5 2-9-1712
Blizzard check-in - Page 5 2-9-1713
Blizzard check-in - Page 5 2-9-1714

Final passes with the two vehicles pulled out into the cul-de-sac.

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 2-9-1715

Done.. and relieved that the machine was up to the task.

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 2-9-1716

on my way back in the nice warm house.

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 2-9-1717

I've been really lucky so far with this snow-thrower. It's almost as old as I am (1968 machine). It's a small machine; 7hp/24" with solid V-tread tires.. and no chains. I'd had some minor issues with the auger-drive idler freezing/seizing-up in past years.. until I lubed it with actual "oil".. rather than WD-40. It's not an operation that you want to do outdoors in a storm. A side cover-plate (3 fasteners) must be removed for access. I didn't perform any off-season maintenance to the machine.. except a motor-oil change mid-Summer 2016.. along with the lawn-mower. The belts are the ones that were on it when I bought it.. and I have no idea as to the replacement size. I try to be mindful of belt-squeal due to overloading, and back-off the feed. She hasn't clogged-up or had the engine stall yet. Today's clean-up was particularly heavy. I had to "saw" through the drifts.. working the machine from side-to-side.. and taking 1/3-bites and 2nd-passes to get the job done. I didn't do as thorough a job today as usual though. The plow-drift at the foot of the driveway was heavy from when the town made their 1st (and only.. so far) pass mid-morning. There's still 8+ inches out on the street right now. Our driveway is double-wide.. but I only cleared enough at the foot for egress of a single vehicle. The street-side mailbox had a heavy plow-drift in front of it. I cleared as much as I dared.. because it was hard-pack snow. I'd worked the machine hard enough for the day. I'll wait to see what the town does on it's second plowing.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:04 am

MAn That's a lot of snow and out there for 1.5 hrs. would have done me in Cold  WE have been fortunate so far only one 8-9" snow this yr. and up and down weather 40-60-73 and everything in between . Glad the Machine worked out for you !! 42 yesterday 50 today 70 tomorrow next week a 75 day Beer Cheers  Our little snow .. Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Snow_112
Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Snow_113Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Snow_115
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:59 am

Roddie

Sorry you and the lady had some hard work

I remember as a kid in Minnesota when my dad broke down and bought our first and only snow blower/thrower...don't much remember much about it other than he got it at Target around 1968...We were not posted up there very long...maybe 26 months. The first winter was shovel, and I, at 14, was not stout enough for some of the 12"~38" accumulations overnight

I also remember fondly dad getting the family a snowmobile.. clunker used skidoo single front ski version

While we do get an annual dusting or some times ever up to 4" down here...I sort of miss the beauty of snow but then remember the back breaking work and how ugly it can get...

Your photos are enough for me to see the beauty through YOUR eyes,... thanks
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:57 am

Geez, that photo documentary made me cold and tired. I don't know what I'd do if it happened here. I sure couldn't get out in it like you did.
Rickety Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:58 am

balogh wrote:I happen to be in Orlando and this is what the dashbord temperature sensor showed early afternoon:

That's my kinda weather! Yeah Summertime!

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:42 am

During our four years in Tiverton roddie we went through four or five like that, my snow blower was a shovel but we had a short driveway. I remember heading out to Memphis Tennessee for five months of school at the height of one. Not fun until I passed NYC.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:37 pm

Roddie, glad to see you dig out from all that snow!  Been there and done that, just lucky this year has been rather mild. I purchased a new Poulan 27" dual stage snow thrower this year because our "snow-bird" neighbors didn't fly south this year and leave their daughters home alone. Apparently the girls are off to college or living with roommates elsewhere, as when they were home that'd ask if I'd clear their driveway using their snowthrower. This year they didn't come over and there was no signs of them being home. So I went out and bought a new one.  Here's a comparison of Feb 2013 to February 2017
Then 2013Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Image14

Now 2017
Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Image16
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:59 pm

It' been a very mild winter here in southern Indiana, but i'm still ready for spring.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Thanks everyone for checking-in. The town did a great job of clearing the snow in general. The foot of our driveway was completely clear this morning. The "State of RI" however had some big issues. I-95 was shut down through the Providence (capital) area during the storm.. and city-streets were still very bad today. Lynne works in Providence, and she just got home from her commute which usually has her home around 5:00 p.m. Her work-commute is 90% highway.

My commute (13mi.) is all back-roads North into Massachusetts. I didn't need 4WD.. but some roads weren't down to the pavement.. even on my trip home tonight.

I found it amazing that the cities/towns having more resources for snow-removal, had the worst roads. Rolling Eyes

Storms occurring on weekdays are more of a pain.. because the clean-up for us needs to be done with minimum daylight to be able to get out and to work, in the morning. The storm this past January came on the weekend.. which could be cleaned-up more at our leisure.

Sooooooo.. apparently there's more snow coming (according to Lynne).. Possibly 3" forecast for tonight.. another 3" this Sunday night.. and another possible blizzard Shocked Shocked on Wednesday.. What?  I'd better check to see how much fuel I have on hand for the snow-thrower.

to be continued......
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:25 am

I'm so excited... Doh! .. More snow fell last night (2-3") as forecast. I look out in the backyard.. and notice that our above-ground pool cover fell in. As if that weren't enough; the cover-pump fell-in with it and drained the pool.. Doh! Doh!

I assume the progression of events started after the storm on Thursday. The cover-pump is rated at up to 3000gal/hr.. so it didn't take too long to happen. Lynne is afraid (when I say afraid.. I use that term very loosely.. Affraid or WOW! ) that the pool will collapse if we don't put some water back in. I'm not sure how to proceed.. or whether to proceed. Re-filling would require bringing garden-hoses inside into the warmth, to thaw/uncoil them and my being a contortionist to turn the outside water back on, just for starters. The ball-valve is up behind the washing-machine and behind a hanging shelf that's very hard to reach.

I personally don't think that the walls will collapse.. but that's not much of a comfort to my wife. The cover fell "in" the pool as opposed to sagging from the weight of snow. I have had to release the cover-cable because of that in previous years.

Any thoughts?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:07 am

Roddie, several years ago I emptied my pool to clean the liner. I made the mistake of not putting water back in it for about 2 weeks . By that time the liner had shrunk and was ruined. Had to get a new one. The pool people said its a big NO NO to leave water out of it. but that was in the summertime.Hope this helps
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:40 am

Roddie- I'm not a pool owner. My in laws have had a pool for years. Never drained it, always left it full, or drained to just below the skimmer. I do believe that the water helps keep the walls supported. Just to be certain, I'd contact a local pool installer or service company to verify the need to refill before creating any further issues, like shrinking liner or collapsed walls. Two Cents
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks Joe and Rene, I've already started the preparations.. I brought two garden-hoses in the house and put them in the bathtub to warm-up. I unplugged the cover-pump which is frozen/stuck to the cover in the bottom of the pool.. so that's where it's staying until I get some water back in it. It's completely drained. There's some ice-sheets sticking to the sides of the liner. I hope it doesn't tear it. I'll just refill and hope for the best.

The snow forecast has been upgraded to a storm-warning for Sunday. We have six tickets to see a play that day (The Wizard of Oz) at the Stadium theater in the nearby city of Woonsocket. Lynne was going to prepare brunch before the show for us, my mom and three of my four children. That's all up to the weather now.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:28 am

Beautiful here in WV today, 50's + and sunny, I hope that it's heading your way, at least for early next week.  

Your off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz..........ta da.....etc. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:06 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Beautiful here in WV today, 50's + and sunny, I hope that it's heading your way, at least for early next week.  

Your off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz..........ta da.....etc.  Smile

Bob

:lol!:I'm afraid not Robert... more snow is on its way for tomorrow (4-8" forecast).. Cold and another blizzard predicted for Wednesday. We're getting a winter-spanking here. Neutral

My hose is still stiff.. and not in a good way.. Laughing I ran the shower with hot water for a few minutes in the bathtub to help speed thawing. I stupidly neglected to drain them this past Fall.

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Dsc03824

This is what I saw out the back window this morning..

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Dsc03825

I'm actually surprised that the cover-pump emptied the pool when the cover fell-in. Not that it wasn't capable.. but the discharge hose should have been frozen. Could be that the discharge-hose siphons-clear when the pump shuts off. It runs uphill to go over the pool-wall.. but the discharge-end is normally below the level of the pump. Live and learn...

Here's a photo from last Winter..

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Dsc03110
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Empty Blizzard

Post  RK Flyer Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Hey Roddie,

I looks like all that snow doesn't leave much time for building ! Hang in there SPRING is coming!

RK Flyer Flying ~
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:40 pm

From years past. Not enough this year to make a snowball. Hey, I'm not complaining.

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Snow_b10

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Comp_t10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Refilling of the empty swimming-pool commences.. outside temp. 27F..

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Dsc03826
Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Dsc03827
Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Dsc03828
Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Dsc03829

CRAZY.....

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Dsc03830

You can see the wall buckling here between the post..

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 Dsc03831

Kinda' makes me wonder if there is a leak in the liner which caused the water-level to drop well below the cover.. Huh... The weight of the snow then ripped-out all the cover-grommets. We'll see if it holds the water I'm putting in. We have a water-well with excellent pressure from the pump. It will fill a 5gal. pail in less than 30 seconds. Theoretically.. that's 1800gal. in 3-4 hours using the hoses I have connected.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Here's a photo that Lynne took during the storm on Thursday.

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 16649510

If only I'd thought to unplug the cover-pump.. Doh! The irony is; the pump clogged a few times through the Fall, requiring me to pull it off the cover and flush-out the pick-up screen. I never thought that freezing weather would be an issue. Well.. I can definitely tell you that the pump works..

Here's me last July... the second of two times I've ever been in Lynne's pool.

Blizzard check-in - Page 5 13697210

I never thought I'd be the "pool boy" in February...
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next