Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Cox_ba12

Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

Blizzard check-in

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Empty Running engines in the cold

Post  706jim Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:55 pm

RknRusty wrote:
706jim wrote:...Definition of cold: Setting the needle valve behind a screaming engine when attending a "snow fly" in the winter!
In case you don't already know, in severe cold, Cox engines may not hold enough heat to run well in flight. Some of our cold country members wrap yarn in the cooling fins of the head and it apparently makes them hold a needle setting and run much better.
Rusty

I never thought about wrapping string around the fins to hold heat, but it makes sense. I do know that 0.020's are fussy to keep running on low nitro fuel even in the summer.

But I used to run my Fox 0.09 on an airsled in the winter with no problem.

Maybe because of the increased displacement?
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Empty Re: Blizzard check-in

Post  roddie Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:45 pm

706jim wrote:
RknRusty wrote:
706jim wrote:...Definition of cold: Setting the needle valve behind a screaming engine when attending a "snow fly" in the winter!
In case you don't already know, in severe cold, Cox engines may not hold enough heat to run well in flight. Some of our cold country members wrap yarn in the cooling fins of the head and it apparently makes them hold a needle setting and run much better.
Rusty

I never thought about wrapping string around the fins to hold heat, but it makes sense. I do know that 0.020's are fussy to keep running on low nitro fuel even in the summer.

But I used to run my Fox 0.09 on an airsled in the winter with no problem.

Maybe because of the increased displacement?

Jim, depending on your location.. Good 1/2A fuel is available for your .020's now, through "Hobbico" carrying the "Cox Super-Fuel" label. It was re-formulated with the correct castor-oil ratio recently, with help from Dave Sproul (Product Mgr. at Hobbico).. and has been officially tested here, by members of this forum. The fuel is currently available through Tower Hobbies in 25% nitro quarts. Hobbico is also offering the fuel in 35% nitro.. but I'm not sure if Tower stocks the 35% yet. The annual CEF "Tach Race" was recently run; using the new "Cox Super-Fuel" which was donated by Hobbico.

Here's some info on how Dave Sproul and Hobbico "stepped up to the plate" on the fuel's re-formulation.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7143-cox-super-power-fuel#89717

and the "Tach-Race" thread that covers the fuel's performance.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7382-tach-race-2015-final-wrap-up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:23 pm

O yea around 6" nice new snow this morning after last night , would get some pics up but my phone camera and son are still missing since MONDAY after noon . Had to call him in this morning Missing Mad Sad Rolling Eyes
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:04 am

I hope your son is OK Eric.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:23 am

getback wrote:...my phone camera and son are still missing since MONDAY after noon . Had to call him in this morning Missing Mad Sad Rolling Eyes
KariFS wrote:I hope your son is OK Eric.

I hope so too, keep us updated. How old is he?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:42 am

Eric I hope everything is ok with your son, I'll keep you all in my prayers. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:40 am

Snow melting to more MUD now ,, Thanks guys he is 16 going on 20 according to facebook also found he posted there yesterday he has his own place and his fam has his back . Court Monday  I hope they have his back for that too !!! I am relieved he is OK stupid stuff goes through your head when you think some one you love may be in trouble . Had to go get me a camera Friday because he has my phone Mad  Just 75- I didn't have for that but have to have it its a Nikon L30 the Red one lol! Found a place to get the alum. rod here well in Greensboro out at the airport , then I can make that wing jig and move along with building airplanes (I need the therapy) Post some pics later . Eric Wink
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:47 pm

getback wrote:Snow melting to more MUD now ,, Thanks guys he is 16 going on 20 according to facebook also found he posted there yesterday he has his own place and his fam has his back . Court Monday  I hope they have his back for that too !!! I am relieved he is OK stupid stuff goes through your head when you think some one you love may be in trouble . Had to go get me a camera Friday because he has my phone Mad  Just 75- I didn't have for that but have to have it its a Nikon L30 the Red one lol! Found a place to get the alum. rod here well in Greensboro out at the airport , then I can make that wing jig and move along with building airplanes (I need the therapy) Post some pics later . Eric Wink

Glad you know where the boy is.. Does your new camera have a phone? Laughing

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/l/l30/spec.htm

That's a nice little camera! Easy upload of pix to your computer with the USB connection/cable.

Last Monday, my brother Jeff needed a snowblower for cutting a trail through the woods.. to his cabin. I offered my old 1968 Allis/Simplicity. We loaded it and the gas jug into the back of his pick-up and headed over to his cabin, about 3mi. from my house.. and set-back into the woods about 50 yards. The cabin has electricity and a wood stove.

(that's my brother, back there on the left)
Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Photo-15
Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Photo-19

If you look down the trail.. you can see a catwalk the he built, where a brook flows in the springtime. It zig-zags for a run of about 40 ft. and is about 2" narrower than the rear axle on my machine.
Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Photo-16

No tire chains.. The L/H wheel-hub disengages manually for ease of steering if needed.
Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Photo-17

Check out the 2nd-stage paddle-wheel type impellor on this "old girl"..
Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Photo-18

Here's the cabin right after he built it; late summer 2013. (sorry about the sideways pic)  Huh...
Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Photo-14

It's currently snowing at home here in N. Smithfield, RI.. and the forecast is 3-6" (4-8" in Providence)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:25 pm

roddie wrote:
It's currently snowing at home here in N. Smithfield, RI.. and the forecast is 3-6" (4-8" in Providence)
Just had 5-6" here on the North shore, and now it's
coming down ice/sleet. Rolling Eyes
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:23 am

dckrsn wrote:
roddie wrote:
Just had 5-6" here on the North shore, and now it's
coming down ice/sleet. Rolling Eyes
Bob

Hey Bob, It stayed below freezing here last night. We woke to 4-6" of fresh powder this morning. I brushed both cars off and warmed them up to find that the "blower" is not working in my Chevy Trailblazer again. DAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT!

This blower problem originally exhibited an intermittent condition "once".. about 2 weeks before finally stopping altogether. The resistor that I replaced is a common failure-part. Now I think that there's a bad connection somewhere between the switch and the resistor.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:05 am

Warm rain took all the existing snow away Wednesday, turned cold and gave it all back yesterday and last night.

Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Pan%20snow%20002_zps6dh6tkn3

Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Pan%20snow%20006_zpsi8lbdsvr

Come on Spring.................
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:23 am

I really like that cabin   Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Photo-10  I have wanted one one the back 7 acres for a long time , I have cinder blocks but with out a lot of HELP it just ant going to happen . We are cold now and tonight but , starting tomorrow up in the low 60sand that is good enough for now . Could possible fly something Sunday ? Need to break this new camera in right sunny bounce  Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:13 am

My son called last night after 11 days and got a ride home some 20 miles away from a nice lady at a Exxon, Glad to have him home and he is even willing to turn himself in if has too . Going to try and do things different this round he is no baby anymore , but will always be mine Babe Bee  Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:31 am

I'm glad he's OK. Hope you and him can work things out.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:59 pm

Sure could use some of that blizzard right about now.
Blizzard check-in - Page 4 PJtMXds
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Nice.....

That seals the deal for me, never going to live in AZ.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:00 am

Yes but it is a DRY heat....grinn

seriously some years back I was golfing on Fort Huachuka at 103F and 3% humidity, very comfortable compared to Fort Hood at 98F and 65% humidity

I was also amazed at how quick I adapted to 121F in Iraq but admit I never got used to drinking gallons of water a day

AZ Phoenix at 116F is still gonna be uncomfortable even in the shade
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:29 am

fredvon4 wrote:

I was also amazed at how quick I adapted to 121F in Iraq but admit I never got used to drinking gallons of water a day

I was in Seattle two months ago and drank the amount of water I'm accustomed to in Phoenix. I've never peed so much in my life.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:33 am

Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Captur10  memories O not that far way , Looks GOOD compared to the 98,99,94, with humidity 65 or so  we been having DAMMIT!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:54 pm

I used to do a lot of work in PNG and Irian Jaya.  High up in the Owen Stanleys the temp never goes above about 25°C - day or night.  However, the humidity never gets down to 99%, 99.7% being a typical day.  Many of the villages we operated in received >300" rainfall per anum.  Working in those conditions is so draining, and one constantly feels as though one is dying of heat exhaustion.  

Being from West Oz, and being well used to temps well above 40°C, I can assure you that the major factor in "feeling the heat" is humidity, NOT the actual temperature.  Summer humidities in most of WA seldom reach 50% and are usually below 30%.  Up in the Pilbara they'll have 3 or 4 months each year above 40°C, but the humidity will be about or below 10%.  When I was working up there it was far more bearable than in PNG.  One must, however, drinks gallons of water.  I drank about 10 litres just during each work day.

One memorable mid-summer day, in western NSW, I was involved in "grunt shuttles" (shuttling soldiers into a "war zone" for a military exercise - I used to fly Caribous) requiring to stay below radar (<100' AGL).  We did 7 x 100nm shuttles, op stops at each end and with the cockpit temperature up 57°C in the middle of the day.  I think all 200+ grunts chundered on the cabin floor that day - it was almost ankle deep!  At the end of the day we jacked up the aircraft nose, opened the under-(cockpit)floor escape hatch, called for a fire truck and hosed it out.  Man-O-man!! What a day!  Any'ow, the point was that 57°C is the hottest temp I've ever had to work in.  I did experience a -ve (celsius) temp a couple of times in Canberra.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:38 am

Dinsdale. I'm sure they probably worked out what you were talking about, but for the sake of the uninitiated, you may want to interpret "chunder". Gee we talk about some great stuff on here lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:40 am

Oldenginerod wrote:... you may want to interpret "chunder".  Gee we talk about some great stuff on here lol!

According Bazza McKenzie, a reputable bloke if ever there was one, on the old sailing ships transporting convicts to Oz, when one felt nauseous one would run to the side of whatever deck one was on and shout out, "Watch under".  This warned those on lower decks that someone was about to spew/vomit/have a charlie chuckle/do a technicolor yawn over the rail, and to watch out below.  "Watch under" was soon abbreviated to just "Chunder", which is now the standard Ozzie noun or verb referring to vomit.

See also:  http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0050975/quotes
Look for movies:  "The Adventures of Barry McKenzie" 1962  and also "Bazza McKenzie Holds His Own" 1964 and also "Bazza Pulls it Off" 1971
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:23 am

I learn something new every day even though I did understand chunder in the story....
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:43 am

I think I'd like AZ. New England is nice if you like roller-coaster climate change.. but I find myself now; liking warm weather much more than cold. This past Winter's blizzard was epic in my region. The most beautiful climate I've ever experienced.. was when I spent a week in Aruba. Dry heat (avg. mid 80's F) with a constant southwesterly breeze.. all the time. It's almost guaranteed. There's very little rainfall.. and only rained once (for about 2 minutes)during my stay.

Jim, I imagine your climate to be similar to George's over in Clovis, NM.. but he mentions it being constantly breezy where he is. Too breezy for small flying-models.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:03 pm

Blizzard check-in - Page 4 Summer-in-finland-is-disaster_o_3448651

DAMMIT! It's been either rainy or windy or both since April around here, so not much opportunities to actually fly, only building planes and surfing the net Tired w/ Coffee Read
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next