Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Today at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Blizzard check-in

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Empty Re: Blizzard check-in

Post  getback Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:33 am

Hot wire that sucker / International farmall 140... with a flat tire the new one of coarse (well 2-3 yrs.) Well our dusting was 1/2 ice / freezing rain after the snow Rolling Eyes Could have at least got something to write about . Syrup ?? down here it vanilla extract /sugar /milk /snow mix to taste EAT..... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/snow-ice-cream-ii/ These people have pretty good recipe , since I do most the cooking Wink we are expecting another inch Wednesday? Eric tongue
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:36 am

getback wrote:Hot wire that sucker / International farmall 140... with a flat tire the new one of coarse (well 2-3 yrs.) Well our dusting was 1/2 ice / freezing rain after the snow Rolling Eyes  Could have at least got something to write about . Syrup ?? down here it vanilla extract /sugar /milk /snow mix to taste EAT.....  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/snow-ice-cream-ii/ These people have pretty good recipe , since I do most the cooking Wink we are expecting another inch Wednesday?  Eric  tongue

I don't think I'm gonna hot-wire the blower motor the way I intended. With my luck.. I'll cause more damage. This vehicle may as well be a "farm truck" right now... no heat.. and the w/s washer tank won't hold fluid. Great things to not have working in this weather.....

wah wah wah................ I could SoOoOo do this right about now...

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:20 am

That was great.  I actually took four minutes out to listen to the whole thing.  Reminded me of Santa Rosa Island near Pensacola in the fifties.  My wife and me and no one else except a battery powered radio.  

Also reminded me of last year when some kids in the middle of the night took a grand piano out to a reef/sand bar in south florida and sat it down.  Made quite a stir the next day with the ocean 360 degrees around it.  

Authorities found out who did it and made them go back out and get it a few days later.

Mean while...West Virginia - snow, 10 degrees, wind, and housebound still fighting flu.  But....I'm not complainin'  - yeah right.   Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:36 am

Yea the wind had forgot till you said that that stupid wind storm we had the other day/nite blew a old pine tree onto an abandon chevy truck of mine across the tail gate , haven't gone out there yet but am sure something is bent ... but it don't really matter only thing worth anything is the 4 bolt main 350 /// went to the mail box this stuff is ice packed / also the roads have not been nothing done yet ( no news paper ( boy wanted me to have a snow ball fight with him (are U crazy I cant run ) hell I cant walk good till after a few BUDS and you can take that any way you want my friends !?!?! gEtBaCk Snowman lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:43 am

roddie wrote:
getback wrote:Hot wire that sucker / International farmall 140... with a flat tire the new one of coarse (well 2-3 yrs.) Well our dusting was 1/2 ice / freezing rain after the snow Rolling Eyes  Could have at least got something to write about . Syrup ?? down here it vanilla extract /sugar /milk /snow mix to taste EAT.....  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/snow-ice-cream-ii/ These people have pretty good recipe , since I do most the cooking Wink we are expecting another inch Wednesday?  Eric  tongue

I don't think I'm gonna hot-wire the blower motor the way I intended. With my luck.. I'll cause more damage. This vehicle may as well be a "farm truck" right now... no heat.. and the w/s washer tank won't hold fluid. Great things to not have working in this weather.....

wah wah wah................ I could SoOoOo do this right about now...

Thanks Man I Needed that !!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:50 pm

I'll be warm while driving soon. Cold This is the replacement part for the one that failed. It's a blower-motor resistor. $32 at Auto-Zone. I just hope that I don't find any melted wires when I get up in there to replace it. A new connector-harness kit is double the money.

Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Dsc02512
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Good Luck !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:18 pm

Well An't that some serious looking S Heck like I said before I would straight wire that sucker , but I am not you insurance agent lol!  I they are burnt you have another problem DAMMIT!  . If . it . were . just . me . driving . it wouldn't . worry Shocked :not nice:  Back To Topic  Just got 1" in 1 hr. Now the sun is out clear sky's Werd
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGoodwreck Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm ready to send you all some global warming!

Our ski runs are just lame for this time of the year.
MrGoodwreck
MrGoodwreck
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Hey, guess what it's doing here in the northeast......again.
Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Snowy10
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:36 pm

We just had two Cyclones (Hurricanes) hit northern Australia.  One swept down through Queensland and back out to sea and the other hit the Northern Territory and petered out over low-populated Arnem Land.
As for us down the south, currently 34° C.  Can't even get the ice to stop melting in my drink.  
I see Niagara Falls has even frozen over.  Unbelievable. Affraid or WOW!

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:08 pm

Not a whole lot to complain about around here. The temps through January have been mostly above average with some pretty damn cold days thrown in. February has been somewhat below average. Supposed to go down to -9°F tonight with wind chills around -35°F, high of 2°F tomorrow, maybe a little snow. Typical for January. We are below average for snowfall. The snowmobile trails up north have been having trouble, many are closed. Most of the ski hills around here are set up to make their own snow.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/roseville-mn/55113/february-weather/338892?monyr=2/1/2015

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:30 am

I have lived in New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, and Florida.  Guess which one of those I wish I were in right now......

But looking at Bob's map, that little clear area in the middle of it all, that's a lot of WV and where we are right now.  That clear area maintained last night and we got very little snow or sleet.  Small mercies.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:02 pm

Admin wrote:Not a whole lot to complain about around here. The temps through January have been mostly above average with some pretty damn cold days thrown in. February has been somewhat below average. Supposed to go down to -9°F tonight with wind chills around -35°F, high of 2°F tomorrow, maybe a little snow. Typical for January. We are below average for snowfall. The snowmobile trails up north have been having trouble, many are closed. Most of the ski hills around here are set up to make their own snow.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/roseville-mn/55113/february-weather/338892?monyr=2/1/2015

Jacob.. I always feel funny, posting about any extraordinary New England Winter weather.. knowing full-well of your typical Winters in MN. We've had a Winter here.. that I only remember the "likes of".. when I was very young. (of course.. I was a lot shorter then) Snow accumulations that you actually have to "wade" through.. we haven't seen here for decades. It doesn't bother me like it does most people. I'm much more cautious when I drive though.. especially at night.

The high was 46F today.. (we got 2-3 more inches of wet snow last night) so I cleaned up the walks/drive and after making an auger-drive linkage repair to the snow-blower; decided to R & R the blower-motor resistor in the 2005 Chevy.

Here's the failed part.

Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Failed10

It looks like it overheated.. maybe more than once. There weren't any dis-colored/brittle wires in the feed-harness.. so that was a relief.

Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Failed11

Tomorrow I plan to check the cabin air-filter condition. I don't have a meter to check the amp draw from the blower though. A clogged filter causes the blower to work harder and draw more amps than spec. A worn-out blower will draw more amps than spec. The resistor-block takes the punishment.. as well as constantly being exposed to the elements. It's location is directly down-stream of the fresh-air duct in the cowl below the windshield.

This looks melted to me.. 4 noticeable hot-spots.. either speeds 1-4 or 2-5? I had none of the 5 speeds when the trouble started. I did have all 5 intermittently though..

Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Failed12

It took me about 45 min. to replace the part. A kick-panel (2 screws-2min.) drop glove-box door (1 min.) remove defective resistor block and disconnect harnesses (1 min.) "Roddie observation" (25-30 min.) Install new part (10 min.) Test... JOY! cheers
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:44 pm

Aye, success! Glad you got it.
The week ahead will be a good test(ugh).
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:49 am

Good Deal Roddie , how many years did you get out of the failed part ? I does look pretty darn rough as in wanting to explode or catch on fire Jaw Drop  WEre back in the 40-55 degrees for now more cold coming though ..... They patched my front tire tractor tube waited till the next day to put it on FLAT it was !!!!  so back up there on Sunday new tire and tube $64- Up and running again ?????? they said it was full of thorns Thorns ????? its a tractor tire ???3 years old Blow up Mad! I kept it thinking of running a torch around it to season it some and let it age till the next one goes .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:58 am

getback wrote:Good Deal Roddie , how many years did you get out of the failed part ? I does look pretty darn rough as in wanting to explode or catch on fire.

I'm guessing it's the original resistor-block Eric. The vehicle is a 2005.. so the part lasted 10 years. There's a code that would suggest a production date sometime in June/July of 2004.. if the "26" represents the week.

Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Failed13

It's colder today (26F right now) and slated to drop into the teens by nightfall. I could've used 12 more hours of yesterday's milder (46F) temps.. to get our driveway scraped-down to the pavement. Freeze-thaw cycles are brutal when there's this much snow. Catch-Basins are buried.. so there was a lot of puddling on the roadways yesterday. When it got colder in the evening, the roads got treacherous. The municipalities have used more salt/sand on the roads in the last 3 weeks.. than they've used in the last 3 years.

Snow-blowers have become targets for theft. The retailers are out of stock.. and the manufacturers can't keep up with the demand.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Empty Cold in your area?

Post  706jim Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:46 pm

26F?

How about -26F!

In fact we've hit -33 this February and that's not including any "wind-chill" fudge factor.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:30 pm

706jim wrote:26F?

How about -26F!

In fact we've hit -33 this February and that's not including any "wind-chill" fudge factor.
Damn, -33F!  That is insanely cold. Do you live in the US, Lower 48? I couldn't even walk out to the mail box in that. I guess if I lived there I would have the right clothes and hopefully have adapted a thicker skin to withstand it. On the other hand, you may think similar thoughts of our weather in May through the first half of September.

We've been in the mid to upper teens this winter a few nights. Supposed to be in the 20s and 30s with snow showers tomorrow. Good luck, Jim. Spring is coming.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Blizzard check-in - Page 3 Empty Cold temperatures

Post  706jim Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:57 pm

I live in Thunder Bay Canada. Most of these sites require a location, but this one doesn't seem to for whatever reason.
The coldest we've seen here was -45F a few years ago, although that isn't the case every day.
It's funny how people adapt to their surroundings.
That cold doesn't really bother me although one does not hang about unnecessarily when the temps really drop.
Definition of cold: Setting the needle valve behind a screaming engine when attending a "snow fly" in the winter!
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:38 am

Sunday 56 , Mon, 46 snow gone *** This morning 20 and 1 " or more on the ground lots of accidents, Glad I am not out there ... but my dad and I are suppose to go to the food lion today 36 this afternoon Tired w/ Coffee Read
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:40 am

getback wrote:Sunday 56 , Mon, 46 snow gone *** This morning 20 and 1 " or more on the ground lots of accidents, Glad I am not out there ... but my dad and I are suppose to go to the food lion today 36 this afternoon   Tired w/ Coffee Read

Hey Eric, after taking your Dad shopping.. stop off and have a cold one and a big bowl of hot chili for lunch with him! Beer Cheers My dad and I do breakfast every know and then.. but not enough.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:25 am

706jim wrote:...Definition of cold: Setting the needle valve behind a screaming engine when attending a "snow fly" in the winter!
In case you don't already know, in severe cold, Cox engines may not hold enough heat to run well in flight. Some of our cold country members wrap yarn in the cooling fins of the head and it apparently makes them hold a needle setting and run much better.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Roddie , I don't even know if my dad likes chili but he does like ever thing that goes into it going to have to get some cold ones for sure my friend and I drank all mine yesterday getting /cutting/splitting /hauling WOOD ! then I decided it was Turkey Time the light stuff 80 poof . After supper that was all she wrote lol!  Beer Cheers  Soon
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:52 am

Here we go again ....http://www.weather.com/weather/today/l/27283:4:US May bee able to build a snow women this time Very Happy Snowman Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next