Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Father - Son 1/2A Build Cox_ba12

Father - Son 1/2A Build Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by Admin Today at 8:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Father - Son 1/2A Build Empty
Live on Patrol

Father - Son 1/2A Build

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Father - Son 1/2A Build Empty Father - Son 1/2A Build

Post  Sig Skyray Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:02 pm

Well, this post is overdue.  I could have started it a few weeks ago but didn't want to leave a project unfinished.  Now that I see we are nearing completion it's time to share this.  I flew a bit of CL as a kid and had a Stuka, which I still have that's in good shape.  The first plane I built as a youth was a Carl Goldberg Li'l Wizard.  I kept that plane until about 10 years ago and now regret tossing it out.  That was a tough bird.  My boy just turned 9 and he wanted to build a plane and learn to fly CL, so we bought a couple kits, got our tools and workspace together, and we're off to the races.  I think it's really cool his first build is the same model I first built, 40 years ago.  He's building the Brodak version which is almost identical.

I've gotten answers on this project in other posts and I'm finally bringing it together with photos as suggested.  It's been a long 2 months but we just put the control hardware on and are in the home stretch.  Nicholas is pretty excited about the whole thing, but apprehensive about flying at the same time.  I've told him, it's all about patience and fun and that crashing is OKAY.  I hope it's a hobby we can continue to enjoy together for years to come.

Nicholas is doing ALL his own building and painting.  I'm a novice guiding him.  I'll help him level the wing and stab and tape it for paint, but he's doing all the rest.

He has to do his heavier sanding outside
Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9211

Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9410

Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9310

We built the radial mount version and then we followed Ron's cue and shortened the nose 3/4" for a more responsive plane.
We also learned it might be good to fuel-proof the front fuse area with a light epoxy coat which we brushed on with an alcohol-dipped brush.
Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9510

Tater the rescue Pug approves with a smile from his vantage point
Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9610

Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9611

Construction home stretch!  Do you see anything amiss?  Look closely.
Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9612

Notice the wing tip skids or whatever they are.  The one with the leadout guide holes was glued onto the outboard wing.  Minor...
More as we progress.  Thank you all for being so generous with your knowledge.
Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Father - Son 1/2A Build Empty Re: Father - Son 1/2A Build

Post  NEW222 Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:25 pm

Good build. Keep up the good work. Not sure if you had fixed it yet, or was thinking of options, but I, myself, would just measure, mark, and drill the holes in the same location, just on the other 'wing tip skid'. Not sure if you were looking for advice, but just thought I would throw this out there.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Looking good!  The whole time my son and I spent building I kept talking to him about the possibility of crashing and that is was ok. Pull out the 5 minute epoxy and put it back together.  It's all good   can't wait to see a flight report and hopefully some video.

He is not quite up to flying his brodak mustang but is doing better and better on my scratch built trainer. I did fly his mustang for the first time a couple days Go in a pretty good wind. It's going to fly well on a calmer day. Handled well for the wind. I may put a 5x4 prop on it as well. At the moment it has a 6x3

Pm me your address and co will send you a couple of my laser cut handles.
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:30 am

NEW222 wrote:Good build. Keep up the good work. Not sure if you had fixed it yet, or was thinking of options, but I, myself, would just measure, mark, and drill the holes in the same location, just on the other 'wing tip skid'. Not sure if you were looking for advice, but just thought I would throw this out there.
Thanks. Yes, I'm always listening for pointers!

rogermharris wrote:Looking good!  The whole time my son and I spent building I kept talking to him about the possibility of crashing and that is was ok. Pull out the 5 minute epoxy and put it back together.  It's all good   can't wait to see a flight report and hopefully some video.

He is not quite up to flying his brodak mustang but is doing better and better on my scratch built trainer. I did fly his mustang for the first time a couple days Go in a pretty good wind. It's going to fly well on a calmer day. Handled well for the wind. I may put a 5x4 prop on it as well. At the moment it has a 6x3

Pm me your address and co will send you a couple of my laser cut handles.

I've got to get some 5 minute epoxy! I used 30 for the build. I'd love to have some of your handles Roger. I need handles. Thanks!
Greg
P.S. Yes, I plan on sharing some video!
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:10 am

Awsome pictures! Love seeing that.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:43 am

Greenie for your son and you since he is the builder and that is very inspiring to see at 9 yrs. old Cool the airplane is looking really good there Thumbs Up Airplane yes flight report Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:18 am

I always foget about the greenies. plus one from me too.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:32 am

duke.johnson wrote:I always foget about the greenies. plus one from me too.

greenie? what dat?
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:59 am

rogermharris wrote:

greenie?  what dat?

Means ya got a vote, your rep went up Smile
Nice build btw glad to see youngsters get into building we need more of that. Thumbs Up (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:26 pm

rogermharris wrote:

greenie?  what dat?
You have 50 of them Roger. Take a look under your name and avitar. Everyone must like those new bipes.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:28 pm

duke.johnson wrote:
rogermharris wrote:

greenie?  what dat?
You have 50 of them Roger.  Take a look under your name and avitar. Everyone must like those new bipes.

yea... i wondered what the little plus/minus was on the right.... Computer Issues Computer Issues
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:29 pm

Nice Job on the build.nice to see a father and son having fun together.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:44 pm

duke.johnson wrote:
rogermharris wrote:

greenie?  what dat?
You have 50 of them Roger.  Take a look under your name and avitar. Everyone must like those new bipes.
....and handles. +
Bob

Last edited by dckrsn on Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:03 pm

getback wrote:Greenie for your son and you since he is the builder and that is very inspiring to see at 9 yrs. old Cool the airplane is looking really good there Thumbs Up Airplane yes flight report Popcorn

Thank you getback and Duke! I appreciate it.
Nicholas says thank you also. He's decided on a color scheme, that's next.

Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Your laser cut handles are on the way!
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Father - Son 1/2A Build Empty Update: Father-Son Build

Post  Sig Skyray Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Got the mock up and primer complete.
Nicholas insists on holding the spray can horizontal.  He has some trouble holding the button down fully for more than a few seconds but his job came out fine.  Meant to weigh the model pre and post-paint.
We're very happy with the way the Lil Wizard is coming along and are excited to see it wrap up and fly.

Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9713
Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9715
Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9716
Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9717
Father - Son 1/2A Build Img_9718
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Looking good guys! Won't bee long now. The worst thing is the waiting on the paint to cure but it also give you time to get you flight kit/ box together
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:03 am

Love the last picture.  Nothing turns out correctly unless you hold your mouth right.  Smile

Tip weight, rudder off-set, and yellow safety prop.  Ought to be a flyer.

I'm missing Florida, red mulch, palms, green grass. I spent the better part of fifty years down there.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:36 am

My son and I set about building a pair of Blackhawk Lil' Bats (his choice) a few years ago.  He was really excited and we spent a few days sitting at the table working together on them.  He chose the colour for his (purple) and I even rustled up some new and old Cox parts for him to assemble into a usable engine.

Father - Son 1/2A Build 100_1610

He was really excited on the first outing, but I failed to explain to him that there was a fair likelihood that something may get broken.  Dad was a little rusty, but Fletch did a great job of launching for me and after a couple of poor starts and a broken prop we got in the air & I quickly remembered how to get dizzy.  When came time for him to have a shot, it was up to his brother to launch as Fletch stood with me in the centre of the circle.  A very poor launch ended in a snapped off engine, but I assured him that it was ok and we had to expect that.  

Father - Son 1/2A Build 100_1611

I had my wing as back-up but he suggested I fly as he wanted to wait until his was fixed.  We put in a few more flights until we ran out of props.  Not a bad day, I thought, but he obviously was a little disillusioned by the experience.  Our next outing a little later saw him have a shot but he didn't want to take over once launched, but wanted to start himself.  
I gave him 3 pretty good launches but he didn't make half a lap, ending in another snapped off firewall.  He was really upset and blamed me because I hadn't explained how to fly well enough.  That was the end.  I've never been able to get him out again and at almost 18, he has many other interests now.

Greg. Just make sure that you explain the reality to your boy really well first, and take the time to ensure he understands what to do and what to expect.  The plane will get damaged, the paint will come off, he will crash, he will get dizzy.  But taking the time to explain all that will pay off and hopefully you will still be flying with him in years to come, I hope.  
You're off to a better start than me.  Those combat wings are a handfull & I certainly don't recomend them for beginners (or rusty dads Laughing ).

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:12 am

rogermharris wrote:Your laser cut handles are on the way!
Got 'em! Thanks Roger, they look great!

Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:22 am

Oldenginerod wrote:

Greg. Just make sure that you explain the reality to your boy really well first, and take the time to ensure he understands what to do and what to expect.  The plane will get damaged, the paint will come off, he will crash, he will get dizzy.  But taking the time to explain all that will pay off and hopefully you will still be flying with him in years to come, I hope.  
You're off to a better start than me.  Those combat wings are a handfull & I certainly don't recomend them for beginners (or rusty dads Laughing ).

Rod.

Thanks Rod.  I will heed your advice.  I really don't want him burning out or getting disappointed early on.  We'll have several talks and practice on land before we head to the skies.  I'll bring my CA and 5 minute epoxy to the field and some spare props and a back up engine, just in case.  I think it'll help if I can get him thinking about his next build ;-)

Last weekend, first time out for me in decades, I crashed my Deweybird and we had a good laugh over it.  Still don't know what's wrong, must be the CG.  It's 1" back from the leading edge.  No damage to plane or engine thankfully!

I'll post pics and/or video of Nicholas' first time at the circle.

Greg
Father - Son 1/2A Build Deweyb10
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:30 am

looking forward to the flight report! i can't tell you how hard it was/is for me to stay patient.

you have to shrug off the crashed as no big deal and just put it back together and go. it took quite a bit for my son to understand that i was not mad or upset. he is coming around.
my problem now is it's been about two weeks since we have been able to get out due too weather and wind. i have three new planes to get in the air!! today looks good though.

rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:42 am

is that you fling Greg and how did U get that pic like that ? Cool /// NO my problem is its to darn Hott Hot /// I had my son convinced we were fling this Sunday , he said he didn't want to crash my plane ,I just told him it would be alright I do Affraid or WOW! it can bee fixed ( well most the time ) tongue  After some bad reports I got this morning about a boy that has been picking on him and broke his sun glasses , through his hat on the roof (at a group Home he is at for alittle longer ) well I told them I was proud of him for not stomping him down for he is bigger Huh... this guy even spit on Justins back / neck and I have really had enough of it some calls are in order before I act like the 16 Yr. old I use to bee DAMMIT! .... Sorry for the hijack just had to get that off my shoulder with parents of kids that would understand . ( he has been doing well and was to bee our first weekend stay over in 2 Months !!!  back to fling hope you get out there Roger have some fun Guys Very Happy  Father - Son 1/2A Build 00110  If he can hold that he can hold this   Father - Son 1/2A Build 020_0010  after I put a push rod on it lol! lol! lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:04 pm

good looking SG!  hope all goes well for y'all as well eric

i am determined to get out and fly a bit this evening!!
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:19 pm

Yes, great photo Sig, time laspe of some sort, or edited video.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down