Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Cox_ba12

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

another toy from the 60s

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Empty Re: another toy from the 60s

Post  crankbndr Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:09 pm

Homestead is statistically the most dangerous city in Florida, it was not that way not long ago. Career felons with long history of crime are not keep locked up but let out to pray on the public over and over. The Criminal Justice System is an oxymoron. When a get tough Chief tries to clean up the streets a few felons die and their Moms are on TV crying and the Chief gets fired.
The police do a great job but the system lets them back out. So after 62 years I decided I needed to arm myself daily.
There is a training range close by where I train and practice, I carry a 4" barrel 45 with a 6 round mag and one in the tube. I use a kydex IWB to protect the trigger and this setup will not print even in a T shirt. A spare extended mag slips in the pocket nicely.
Sorry about the fat and hair!!

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Img_0110
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:48 am

[quote="crankbndr"]Dad got me one of these when I was 8 or 9 years old, it blew away my cocking spring rifle. It was powerful (400fps) ,semi auto and very accurate. ..."]´

Back in the 1960-s and 1970-s my parents had lots of dilemma on which extra-curricular path I should take in perfecting myself for my adult life.
First they put me in a wrestling club at my age of 8 or so, but as a lanky and weak lad I often came home crying after being beaten by my fellow wrestler buddies, stronger than I was.

In a sudden 180 degree turn, then they got me out of the wrestling club and  had me have piano lessons instead, that I could not get rid of until my age of 14. (The piano teacher would write in my scorecard every year end that "András continues the piano lessons program of the previous year" instead of outright flunking me, given her good relationship with my parents that she did not want to endanger...). While, in the last year of this piano torture I gave  my father an ultimatum: I will only continue taking the piano lessons if, in turn,  he gives me his 4,5mm Czech-made pellet air-gun....

I still have that  pellet air- gun in my cupboard, and still do not play piano...I build COX engine powered R/C planes instead, but that is a different story, starting with finding a Zeiss Jena 2,5ccm diesel model engine in the cupboard of my father around 1973...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:50 pm

I still have no idea what possessed my mom, while Dad was in Korea, to get me a Daisy air rifle for my 5th birthday but she did and I was much too immature and unsupervised (yet)...much to the grief of anything that moved in the back yard....a period of my life I truly regret.

On his return, my dad, properly assessed my ignorance and embarked on a several year re-education with me and my now interested siblings.... He stressed weapon safety, NEVER point at anything you did not intend to kill, Ethical killing...(biggest change for me) meant you did not just kill something cus it was fun or YOU COULD..Varmints for one reason, game for eating..all else, leave Ma Nature alone...she is much more interesting ALIVE

Today, after a life of this training, and the Army experience, I no longer hunt...but do occasionally dispatch the odd dangerous snake or possum/raccoon/rat/ and as much as I hate it, an occasional feral cat that appears to be diasesed and destructive

In my Army experience I know I only ever killed one human. Simple defense against a bad guy intent on killing another fellow soldier. That single extreme experience still haunts me...and I often wonder about real combat soldiers and their post action state of mind...I was not a real combat arms soldier in my 22.5+/- years but did do a LOT of support role in combat areas like Grenada, Panama, Beirut, Desert storm, Iraq

Back to the topic...1960s air guns

In my retirement I have done some research on many "bucket list" things... mini Bike, Air guns, Real airplane, dirt bike, adult go-cart, and a fairly long list of other stuff you might thing weird...like fowl breeding, bird dogs and training, large scale rocketry

I pretty much got motorcycle and car hot rodding out of my system.. being an exceptional mechanic I lived a lot of the 60~70~80go fast auto sports to some small or large degree...example: On the team that created a 1200+HP V twin Nitro Engine for Mancuso Harley racing

Hell I keep drifting (pun intended)

As I researched airguns of my youth, I am astounded that today we can sling a .25, .30, .375, .45, or .50 cal slug at equal or greater speeds (FPS) and very accurately...with a 2900 to 3200 PSI Air gun... and they are not obscenely higher priced than the Powder charge cartridge version.

A side concern is an "air gun" (or a muzzleloader Black powder gun) in USA is NOT a prohibited weapon for felons who lost their constitutional 2nd Amendment rights

Sure makes a lever action BB (.177) 260~480 FPS rifle, seem rather pedestrian.

OH...BTW...The original Daisy Red Rider lever action air rifle is still made and still very cheap...my wally world has dozens of them on the shelf.......hummmmm...
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bamboozler Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:37 am

Here is my Arsenal Bulgarian AK SLR-107FR 16.3-inch Barrel 7.62x39mm

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Uplink%20short%20end%20unknown

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Uplink%20short%20end%20unknown

Last edited by bamboozler on Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
bamboozler
bamboozler
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:47 am

Seeings everybody is posting hardware, here's mine. One of which isn't an air rifle. Smile

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Step_b10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:44 am

bamboozler wrote:Here is my Arsenal Bulgarian AK SLR-107FR 16.3-inch Barrel 7.62x39mm

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Ak110

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Ak210

I'll see your AK and raise you a 300 Blackout!! Kinda new cartridge that came from Wildcatters and is moving mainstream. I wanted a 30 cal AR, 308 kick like mule.
They will ship the complete upper to your door, slap on any lower and your good to go. Even uses standard 5.56 mags, like a laser shot to 100 yards.

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Dsc01410

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Dsc01411

I sighted in my irons and took 7 rounds at 30 yard. The red bull is 3/4 inch, I think the two outliers are my bad trigger work.

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Img_0111
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:34 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Seeings everybody is posting hardware, here's mine.  One of which isn't an air rifle.  Smile

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Step_b10

I'm a paranoid summbitch, so I don't post photos of my defense/recreation collection. Suffice it to say I do have three gun cabinets full, though.

I like your choice in Soviet hardware. I'm one of those strange guys who don't like the AK-47, but I love me a good SKS. I've got a nice Yugo fitted out with Tech Sights.

The Peeping Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:44 pm

crankbndr wrote: I use a kydex IWB to protect the trigger and this setup will not print even in a T shirt. A spare extended mag slips in the pocket nicely.
Sorry about the fat and hair!!

another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Img_0110

I can't use an IWB holster, as I tuck in my shirts. I pocket carry a Kel-Tec P3-AT in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster, or if it's cold and I'm wearing heavy clothing, I carry a Kel-Tec P-11.

The Rotund Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:24 pm

I carry IWB with a VersaCarry belt clip, tucked or not.
The G-30SF is short enough to be comfortable for me even sitting in a car for several hours.
Only issue - in the summer, next to my skin, perspiration causes a bit of rust around the sights if not wiped off at night.
another toy from the 60s - Page 2 Versac10
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Paranoid Mark?  Me too just a little.  Might not be a bad idea if Admin deleted this thread after we share our photos here among friends.  Uncle Sam knows all about my firearms as I was an 03 FFL (collectors C&R) holder and all are registered. I gave it up as it was to much of an incentive to uh, well expand my collection.  

The SKS is my all time favorite, at one time owning at least one from every Soviet block country and China.  The one pictured is a 59/66 Yugoslavian Ceremonial Guards rifle with chromed bolt, recoil pad, magazine, and bayonet with an upgraded stock.  AIM had 250 of them last year and they sold out within 24 hours.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:10 am

rsv1cox wrote:Paranoid Mark?  Me too just a little.  Might not be a bad idea if Admin deleted this thread after we share our photos here among friends.  Uncle Sam knows all about my firearms as I was an 03 FFL (collectors C&R) holder and all are registered. I gave it up as it was to much of an incentive to uh, well expand my collection.  

The SKS is my all time favorite, at one time owning at least one from every Soviet block country and China.  The one pictured is a 59/66 Yugoslavian Ceremonial Guards rifle with chromed bolt, recoil pad, magazine, and bayonet with an upgraded stock.  AIM had 250 of them last year and they sold out within 24 hours.

Yup. Mine's just a plain stocked 59/66 with the aftermarket sights. Love that thing. I also had my FFL03, but it expired a few months ago. I got it specifically to pick up a Makarov, and maybe a Nagant revolver. Then the reaction to Sandy Hook made the prices of everything go up, followed by the imports drying up. I didn't buy a single firearm with my FFL, so I let it expire.

The Past Best Used By Date Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:22 pm

I just found out John Wayne has a production company!!! DO'H!!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:08 am

crankbndr wrote:I just found out John Wayne has a production company!!! DO'H!!!

Do you know why it's called Batjac?

The Quizshow Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:12 am

"Wayne and producer Robert Fellows founded Batjac in 1952 as Wayne/Fellows Productions. When Fellows left the company several years later, Wayne re-named the corporation after a fictitious trading company mentioned in the 1948 film Wake of the Red Witch.

The company name in Wake of the Red Witch was spelled Batjak,

but Wayne's secretary misspelled it as Batjac on the corporation papers, and Wayne let it stand."
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:40 am

Ian, that is the popular story, but that's not why I use it.  In an obscure Wayne biography I found in the Aiken, South Carolina library about 25 years ago, there was a quote of John Wayne stating why he liked the name Batjac.  It's not a tribute to the company in Wake of the Red Witch.  Wayne said it's because of the sound of the word.  He said, "It has the ring of gold about it. A gold coin hitting a felt covered poker table. 'bat-JAC'".  I love the imagery and can hear it easily.  That's why I've always used Batjac for a moniker.

The Golden Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down