Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

MaCoy 35 liner removal Cox_ba12

MaCoy 35 liner removal Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

MaCoy 35 liner removal Empty
Live on Patrol

MaCoy 35 liner removal

Go down

MaCoy 35 liner removal Empty MaCoy 35 liner removal

Post  oldguy Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:46 pm

Just picked up a MaCoy 35 red head. Looks like it has never been taken apart, typical grime and dirt.  My question here is, how to get the liner out.  Can I use the same method as you do on a say a fox 35, using a glow plug washer sitting down on the piston that pushes up on the liner as you rotate the crank, to push the liner up?
Thanks
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

MaCoy 35 liner removal Empty Re: MaCoy 35 liner removal

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:53 pm

No, the liner is the fins. Remove head screws, 3 of them will be longer and that's what holds the cylinder. Remove fins/cylinder. Gaskets will be ruined during process and more than likely will be preventing the removal of this part. Pour 3 in one oil onto fins where cylinder meets case and heat until oil smokes. A twist usually breaks it free. If you don't have this gasket or try to reuse it, there's a very good chance you will have poor performance and that's if you can start it at all. The head gasket is usually fiber as well and is way over due for replacement.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:22 pm

Ken Cook wrote:No, the liner is the fins. Remove head screws, 3 of them will be longer and that's what holds the cylinder. Remove fins/cylinder. Gaskets will be ruined during process and more than likely will be preventing the removal of this part. Pour 3 in one oil onto fins where cylinder meets case and heat until oil smokes. A twist usually breaks it free. If you don't have this gasket or try to reuse it, there's a very good chance you will have poor performance and that's if you can start it at all. The head gasket is usually fiber as well and is way over due for replacement.

Sorry Ken, quess I should have stated that I have the head off, and was just looking at best way to remove  fin/ cylinder. Yes i'm going to replace all gaskets. And what do you usually use to heat the area up.
Thanks
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:36 pm

Anyone have a link to Chellies gaskets for the MaCoy? I can't seem to find her site on ebay.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:54 pm

I use a propane torch. This is why I use oil on the cylinder due to using it as a indicator of how hot. You don't blaze the cylinder with immediate heat. Wave it around the cylinder and around the case heating until the oil begins to steadily smoke. A twist with a pair of gloves on will quickly break it loose. Use a decent leather glove otherwise your going to burn yourself. Not Chellie's gasket, but here is the base gasket and head gasket. The head screws are dead soft and strip just looking at them. I replace them with allen socket heads. The problem is the 3 long ones are not 1" and they're longer than 3/4". They're approx 7/8" long which requires allen socket heads to be ground down.

Not Chellie's gaskets but effective http://www.ebay.com/itm/McCoy-35-Cylinder-Head-Gasket-Set-of-2-Upper-and-Lower-NIP-/201481262352?hash=item2ee9381510:g:e74AAOxyjxlTPavP
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:41 pm

Ken Cook wrote:I use a propane torch. This is why I use oil on the cylinder due to using it as a indicator of how hot. You don't blaze the cylinder with immediate heat. Wave it around the cylinder and around the case heating until the oil begins to steadily smoke. A twist with a pair of gloves on will quickly break it loose. Use a decent leather glove otherwise your going to burn yourself. Not Chellie's gasket, but here is the base gasket and head gasket. The head screws are dead soft and strip just looking at them. I replace them with allen socket heads. The problem is the 3 long ones are not 1" and they're longer than 3/4". They're approx 7/8" long which requires allen socket heads to be ground down.

Not Chellie's gaskets but effective http://www.ebay.com/itm/McCoy-35-Cylinder-Head-Gasket-Set-of-2-Upper-and-Lower-NIP-/201481262352?hash=item2ee9381510:g:e74AAOxyjxlTPavP

Got it. Thanks again.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:56 am

Here's Chellie's kit including a back-plate gasket and a nylon thrust button. (2 kits) She's negotiable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Kits-McCOY-35-RH-BH-Gasket-Kits-Nylon-Crank-Spacers-/142221209352?hash=item211d0b6f08:m:mpdxhNLT_pL2EtZw3NM8TcQ

I have no experience with the other gaskets recommended, which may be fine, but I can say that Chellie's are very well made and a more comprehensive kit. She's a bit of a McCoy Redhead expert.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:18 am

Not to sound condescending, but while Chellie's gaskets do work well, they're considerably thicker than stock. This can alter the engine's already low compression. I have found the fiber head gaskets ( Any type or brand )  to be very susceptible to leaks thus causing further loss of compression.Using the metal also improves compression by dropping the cylinder head a few thou. Procure a Fox .35 head gasket and use that because it works superior to the fiber not to mention doesn't require the constant tightening maintenance. Deck the top of the cylinder on a piece of glass with wet sand paper and oil I use 320 and lap the top of the cylinder head removing the bluing and then some. Do the same for the case and make certain no casting flaws are left on the case.  I have used Ultra Copper for a base to cylinder gasket in lieu of the base gasket. This can bump up the compression slightly. You must be certain though that the screws don't bottom out in the case and that your actually tightening the cylinder down vs tightening the screw in a bottomed out hole. This is more in reference to my comments in my prior post in regards to screw length.

While all this seems to be a lot to take in initially, the easiest solution is to put it together, run it and make determinations if something needs to be improved.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:48 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Here's Chellie's kit including a back-plate gasket and a nylon thrust button.  (2 kits)  She's negotiable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Kits-McCOY-35-RH-BH-Gasket-Kits-Nylon-Crank-Spacers-/142221209352?hash=item211d0b6f08ⓂmpdxhNLT_pL2EtZw3NM8TcQ

I have no experience with the other gaskets recommended, which may be fine, but I can say that Chellie's are very well made and a more comprehensive kit.  She's a bit of a McCoy Redhead expert.

Rod.

Thanks Rod for your imput. Happy New Year
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:49 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Not to sound condescending, but while Chellie's gaskets do work well, they're considerably thicker than stock. This can alter the engine's already low compression. I have found the fiber head gaskets ( Any type or brand )  to be very susceptible to leaks thus causing further loss of compression.Using the metal also improves compression by dropping the cylinder head a few thou. Procure a Fox .35 head gasket and use that because it works superior to the fiber not to mention doesn't require the constant tightening maintenance. Deck the top of the cylinder on a piece of glass with wet sand paper and oil I use 320 and lap the top of the cylinder head removing the bluing and then some. Do the same for the case and make certain no casting flaws are left on the case.  I have used Ultra Copper for a base to cylinder gasket in lieu of the base gasket. This can bump up the compression slightly. You must be certain though that the screws don't bottom out in the case and that your actually tightening the cylinder down vs tightening the screw in a bottomed out hole. This is more in reference to my comments in my prior post in regards to screw length.

While all this seems to be a lot to take in initially, the easiest solution is to put it together, run it and make determinations if something needs to be improved.

Thanks again Ken, will probably deck the head and cylinder some.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:52 pm

What's good glow plug for the MaCoy .35? First one I have owned. Happy New Year
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member