Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Hyper Viper's 1st Flights - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Hyper Viper's 1st Flights - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by Gordinir8 Today at 9:04 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Hyper Viper's 1st Flights - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Hyper Viper's 1st Flights

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Hyper Viper's 1st Flights - Page 2 Empty Re: Hyper Viper's 1st Flights

Post  RknRusty Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:29 am

I think I already have the measurements, because I already drew up plans for a beam mount profile look-alike. Hope they haven't faded by now. I have some foam wing cores about the right size for a 1/2A.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:35 am

The Hyper Viper is a little on the pudgy side. The only one I saw fly was a turd because the engine wasn't up to snuff, too rich. If you could fit a medallion it may do much better. They certainly look cool. Like Kim I think the ME-109 is probably the best flier of all the Cox planes.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:20 pm

I believe I'm correct, but doesn't the Super Chip and the ME-109 share the same wing? I know the ME-109 at least the ones I saw used the fan fold foam but then again so does the Chip. I have both versions of the Chipmunk solid wing and folded wing. In my honest opinion, they both fly pretty horrible. The plastic parts weigh too much and these planes suffer when your trying to pull them out of a dive. With large arm movements, I have nursed them through the pattern but I didn't complete the clover leaf for fear of blasting it. I removed the gear and it flew better. A few of our club top flyers have put it through the entire pattern but overall it was requiring a lot of whipping into the overhead stuff and as I mentioned huge arm movements to get it done. I personally have never flown the Hyper Viper but I like the looks and it certainly looks to be a lot more streamlined . The club has mentioned many times of doing a Cox day. I certainly would like to knock some rust off of some of these moldy oldies. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Yeah, they'll never compete with anything made from balsa, this is a purely nostalgic RTF thing for me, and I'll be happy just to pull off the stunts on the side of the box.  I think the Chipmunk and Me-109 are the same plane, with just some outline trimming to make them appear different

I may also be making too much of the original ME-109 I bought in '75...it just seemed impressive compared to the plastic RTF's of the day.  A decade or two or three can really color a guy's memories!

Last edited by Kim on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:38 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:33 pm

Holy schmoly.. judging by your yardstick.. that model looks to have 200 inches of wing-area if not more! I like the mention of Mud's putting a Killer-Bee in his. Seems like you'd need a hot-rod reedy to haul the mail in that baby!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:22 pm

roddie wrote:Holy schmoly.. judging by your yardstick.. that model looks to have 200 inches of wing-area if not more! I like the mention of Mud's putting a Killer-Bee in his. Seems like you'd need a hot-rod reedy to haul the mail in that baby!

I can see now that this deal is gonna have me out in the shop with a new battery in the tach and bolting stuff to one of Bernie's stands. Gonna be interesting to see what this pup will do with the hardware...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Hey, Mud! I was thinking about you just this morning while reading the Tach Race threads.
Yeah, the Killer Bee is a good one. I put one in my PT19 and it jumps straight off the ground without needing to roll out. It would sure be easier to use for souping up one of these heavy classics than the TD/Medallion.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:03 pm

If I remember right, the second half of the video is not a stock Hyper Viper.  He crashed the stock one and then took the wing and made a profile body for it and used a Norvel engine.  You can tell the difference in the sound and how the planes flies from the first portion of the video and the second (silent) portion.

In fact, if you do a YouTube search for "Cox Hyper Viper", this video has the profile fuselage for the thumbnail picture for the video.  Here is the photo of the plane, albeit a small one:

Hyper Viper's 1st Flights - Page 2 Hqdefault

The Tiny Mark

Correction, according to the Aeromaniacs video page (http://www.aeromaniacs.com/Video2.html), that silent portion IS a stock Hyper Viper. I cannot locate the page where the guy talks about his profile version.

The Incorrect Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:59 am

Kim , I know what you mean by nostalgia. I feel the same way. The Chipmunk made claims on the box that it could do the entire stunt pattern. When my dad bought one of these back in 88, my flying was so so. It was fun nonetheless. I thought it was great just seeing it inverted. This in itself was a major feat. My dad flew a few triangles and I thought that was the coolest. He was very good at making maneuvers look good. He could come out of a loop full bore and just do a touch and go very gracefully. Whenever I try it, it's more like a smash and go. This post is going to light a fire under me to get my Chip back into the air. The tabs have broken where the rubber bands attach to the fuse on mine. The decals hold the fan fold wing together and mine are not in good shape. I also believe my wheels have suffered from castoritis and the back hub sections have split allowing the wheels to ride up the legs of the gear.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:53 am

I was looking for another video and / This dont have nothing to do with the Viper but ck this young lad doing 3 sec. rounds !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fLT9AXSweY  
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:57 am

Ken Cook wrote: my wheels have suffered from castoritis and the back hub sections have split allowing the wheels to ride up the legs of the gear.

Yea.. and I assume that the outer ends of the axles are "crimped".. preventing removal of the old wheels. Mud mentioned the gear being similar to the PT19's.. for a swap-in.

I bent-up a replacement and slightly longer gear for my PT19 to accept collars and a pair of Sig 1/2A wheels.

original..

Hyper Viper's 1st Flights - Page 2 Wheels11

replacement..

Hyper Viper's 1st Flights - Page 2 Wheels12
Hyper Viper's 1st Flights - Page 2 1-11-110

Here's an idea to consider. Cut the "crimps" off the axles, remove the wheels, find a piece of .005" brass/tin-sheet and drill two 1/16" holes near the edge about 1/2" apart.. and punch them out using a paper-punch. This will make two thin washers that can be soldered to the axles as "backing-plates". If the axles end-up too short for outer retainers.. trim-off some of the wheel's inside hub-area that's split, to gain some clearance.

As for the broken fuse-tabs.. try cutting a pair of 3/16" hardwood dowels 1/2" longer than the width of the fuse and notch the ends for rubber-bands. Being mindful of where the pushrod is; mark and drill 3/16" holes squarely through the fuse above the tab-locations for them to pass through. Maybe reinforce around the dowel-holes with fiberglass filament tape.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:12 am

I like the Sig wheel's but they're two halves and eventually fall apart. Perfect streamlines were very good.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:23 am

I'd love to have a big ole box of the original PT-19 wheels.  The things are light and look good, and stand up pretty well.  I've sleeved many of them to extend their life, and made the Lazy Bee a two-sided tailwheel by trimming one to fit into the backside of another, locking them together with a brass sleeve and CA.  Not bad-looking if you don't look close!

Last edited by Kim on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:24 am

Ken Cook wrote:           I like the Sig wheel's but they're two halves and eventually fall apart. Perfect streamlines were very good.

Yes.. I have a few pair of the Perfect streamlined wheels.. but man.. they are HEAVY Shocked

Hyper Viper's 1st Flights - Page 2 Wheels13

I found these wooden ones recently at a local shop that specializes in wood-turnings.

Hyper Viper's 1st Flights - Page 2 Dsc02510

I hope you get that "Chip" in the air Ken!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:25 am

Last edited by Mudhen on Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:33 pm

The streamlined wheels I was mentioning have the aluminum center hub and aren't heavy like those wheels.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:48 am

RknRusty wrote:I think I already have the measurements, because I already drew up plans for a beam mount profile look-alike. Hope they haven't faded by now. I have some foam wing cores about the right size for a 1/2A.

Here's one version based on some "generic" wing cores, called the "Half Lite Stunter", sort of looks like the Hyper Viper:

http://www.aeromaniacs.com/Freeplans.htm

A quote from the instructions: "This model is designed for high performance .049 - .061 size engine. A Cox Tee Dee would be the minimal power plant. I prefer the Norvel BigMig .049, not the AME combat engine. The AME can only be used with a bladder or pressure fuel system."

I sort of adapted this design, and made it fit to a readily available (in Finland) foam wing core with about 25" wingspan. My model's key measurements will be about 80% of those of the Half Lite, with the fuselage profile of the YAK-55. I am aiming at roughly 10oz flying weight, right now I am at about 6.5 without landing gear, rudder, fuel tank and of course surface finish. I hope it'll fly with a Tee Dee or maybe even with a Medallion. I may start a build thread once I get my round-toits gathered Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:58 am

I wonder if the easiest way to morph a TeeDee or NV into the nose of the HyperViper is the Radial mount adapter sold by Texas Timers that screws into the back of the engine

Dane Martin just sold me a NIB HyperViper Last month

I think I will create a balsa profile fuselage and tail with tape it in wing area like a RST so when I finally teach my grandson we can presere the breakage and no replacement part Original stuff.

I may even take a few of my Core House large cores and sand them down to HyperViper wing shapes

Ah... so many ideas so little time....

Like just scaling up the Hyper Viper, getting graphics copied, and hang a OS FP 20 on the nose

Of course seeing the recent E-bay prices also has me considering holding it as NIB and later flipping it for the bucks for some other project

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 am

Got out late yesterday, in the luxury of surreal calm air, to test fly my Hyper Viper, along with my bud Vince's ARF 1/2A profile Nobler he'd gotten from Vintage Performance Model Airplanes.

I tried the stock engine first, and figure it may run a little faster with some more time, and maybe a high-comp head, but didn't do much.

While Vince flew his Nobler, I traded out the product engine for a Killer Bee, with predictable results...a BUNCH more speed and tension on it's 35 feet of Spider Wire. It's a heavy pup, no doubt, but I was able to easily pull off lots of loops and horizontal 8's, along with some inverted flight.

While Vince's place is pretty nice, we were attacked by bugs almost as soon as we set up, so only put in a few flights as the sun went down.

Sorry for the lack of photos/video on this post, with all the bug-swatting, I was doing good just to get some flying done, but there will be some to follow.

Vince's Nobler and it's Black Widow did great...the guy was doing loops and 8's on it's first flight, and has a bit of trimming still left to do...along with acclimating to the rotational speed of spinning 1/2A plane! Kind of fun watching him sway and stagger as he tried to walk out to recover the Nobler after his two flights!

So, another S.M.A.L.L. participant enters the roster !!!!

Mosquito-Whelp Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Wed May 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Congrats on the flight! I'm flying a Hyper Viper with Norvel .061 and love it. Looking forward seeing yours at SMALL....just around the corner. Smile
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu May 25, 2017 7:09 am

xplaneguy wrote:Congrats on the flight! I'm flying a Hyper Viper with Norvel .061 and love it. Looking forward seeing yours at SMALL....just around the corner. Smile

Oh Yeah! I think I'm gonna put it on 40' when Vince and I fly this weekend. The KB really lights it up, but I'm gonna play with it's original engine just to see what I can get from it. Ought to have some photos/video of it and Vince's new 1/2A Nobler.

I'm looking to get to Wrightsville Wednesday night, unless I get antsy and hit the road on Tuesday. I won't have the new Big B.O.T. on-line for this year, but will have the 2M Bird, the Fling, and my as-yet-unflown Rascal.

After watching you having a big time with the 1/2A control liners last year, I'll have a bunch of those with me...they've been gradually migrating toward the van and trailer...so be prepared to utilized those U-Control skills!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Thu May 25, 2017 1:17 pm

I'll try to squeeze one 1/2A C/L bird into my spare suitcase. Also, my friend Stan built the 1/2A Nobler and owns Vintage Performance. He will be attending SMALL on Thursday and Friday. I'm sure Stan will have many of his 1/2A C/L models in tow. Smile

FYI, my flight arrives at 3:30pm on Tuesday and Steve Staples is planning to meet me at the airport, then we'll head to the field to begin setting up for a few hours, then likely hit a restaurant afterwards. Let me know if you decide to arrive early, we can help get you settled in and maybe you can join us for a dinner.

Now, I spend the next four days in the garage finishing up planes and packing.

See you soon my friend!

Man Cave Tony!

P.S. - We need more CEF guys to joins us in the future...or organize a dedicated CEF event at another location? Thoughts?
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu May 25, 2017 2:43 pm

xplaneguy wrote:I'll try to squeeze one 1/2A C/L bird into my spare suitcase. Also, my friend Stan built the 1/2A Nobler and owns Vintage Performance. He will be attending SMALL on Thursday and Friday. I'm sure Stan will have many of his 1/2A C/L models in tow. Smile

FYI, my flight arrives at 3:30pm on Tuesday and Steve Staples is planning to meet me at the airport, then we'll head to the field to begin setting up for a few hours, then likely hit a restaurant afterwards. Let me know if you decide to arrive early, we can help get you settled in and maybe you can join us for a dinner.

Now, I spend the next four days in the garage finishing up planes and packing.

See you soon my friend!

Man Cave Tony!

P.S. - We need more CEF guys to joins us in the future...or organize a dedicated CEF event at another location? Thoughts?

Sounds good!
If possible, PM me your cell # and we'll stay in touch. It'd be great to have another dinner out !!!

Yep, Stan is bringing ME one of his custom-built Noblers! Looking through my stock of engines now to decided what to bolt to the front of it !!!!

I also hope some more CEF'rs show up! Gonna pick out some of my storage locker orphans to put up for adoption...this may be their last chance guys!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Thu May 25, 2017 3:03 pm

I own everything Stan has produced, except the Nobler. I'll have to order one.

PM sent.
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next