Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Cox_ba12

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 5:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 5:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 3:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 2:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 8:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 3:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Empty
Live on Patrol

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes

Go down

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Empty Porter-Cable sale at Lowes

Post  roddie Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 pm

I was at Lowes home-center last week.. and saw an ad for Porter-Cable cordless tools (20V Lithium-Ion battery-powered) that piqued my interest.

My job entails the disassembly of decommissioned data-storage systems. We have several of the Porter-Cable cordless 1/2" VSR drills, powered by the standard 20V lithium-ion battery-packs. A fully-charged pack will last close-to a full 8-hour shift of constant-rigorous use before depleted. The drill "itself" is well-balanced and rugged.. yet lightweight, when compared to the Dewalts that we also have. The Dewalt VSR's are 2nd preference over the Porter-Cable drills.. mostly because they're heavier. Believe me.. it makes a big difference when your using a tool continuously for 6-7 hours.

That's my testimony to Porter-Cable. Lowes is having a sale thru 4/10/17 on select Porter-Cable tool-sets. I picked-up a 4-piece set.. (really a 3-piece set.. unless you count a flashlight as a power-tool..) but nonetheless; it includes the 1/2" VSR drill that I spoke of, a reciprocating-saw and a 5-1/2" circular-saw, charger, two 20V lithium-ion battery-packs and a storage-bag. Also included are one 5-1/2" 18T carbide blade for the circular-saw and one 6" wood-cutting blade for the reciprocating-saw. This kit is currently on-sale for $149.00. If you have a Lowes credit-card (which I do..) it's 10% off. With RI sales-tax.. this 4-piece kit (PCCK616L4) cost me $151.46

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Porter10

Lynne did an on-line purchase for the N. Smithfield, RI location and I picked-up the kit a few nights ago. I knew that I'd want more blade-options for the reciprocating-saw.. than the one-blade included in the kit.. so I shopped blades while I was there. I had a choice between "Lenox" and "Dewalt".. for recip.-blades. Both brands had assortments in the $20 range.. and I ended-up choosing the Dewalt-brand over the Lenox.

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Recipr10

The Dewalt-brand's "case" for the blades seemed more convenient. The blade-selection between the two brands was pretty-much the same. The Dewalt set had (I think..) one more blade than the Lenox set.

The reciprocating saw is currently $56.00 "bare" (no charger/battery). Some of the other P/C cordless-tools are also sold this way. If you already have another cordless-tool in the 20V lithium series.. you likely have a charger and a pair of batteries. Like the other popular cordless-tool brands; Porter-Cable also offers "radios" that have "Bluetooth" capabilities.

The entire Porter-Cable line is on sale now at Lowes. Check-out these deals.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=porter-cable

Last edited by roddie on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Empty Re: Porter-Cable sale at Lowes

Post  RknRusty Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:04 pm

I have $140 BD money. and my Son gave me a $25 dollar gift card from Lowes to add to it. If you see anything interesting you think I'd like, let me know. I already bought some threaded rod, steel control horns and various hardware at the HS. I'm going to look through the Dremel tools and maybe get a router attachment or a saw contraption... there're all sorts of attachments I probably never thought of.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:11 pm

If you purchase....stay with a national Brand Name I.e.: porter cable, dewalt, Mikita, maybe sears and or black and decker.   I know I received a Roybi "kit" with drill, recip saw, and hammer drill driver, battery and charger. It (they) worked very well for around the house chores, but the battery always died in the middle of a task.( ok, I built a 12x12 deck, and a chicken coop)  Now it won't hold a charge at all. Went to Lowes and found a new replacement battery costs more than the complete "kit" cost in the first place! A battery with MORE capacity was about $150.00
ah,so  I bought an extension cord and still use my old electric drill, saw and Milwaukee saws all.
The national brands may have a better warranty....or even honor that warranty.  I worked for a local multi state mega-retailer, who's "house" brand was some imported cheap crap called "Shop Force"  came with a life time limited warranty..it basically meant that when the tool died or battery would not recharge, it had reached its end of life, and the lifetime warranty died with it. ( our canned corporate response was,  I'm sorry that item is no longer in production, and can't be replaced and/or we do not have a replacement for that item) I ended up with a couple of the returned DOA kits. The VSR drill and 4" circular saw look a lot like the Porter Cable set pictured. The drills work just fine for picture hanging and drilling small holes, the circular saw is a joke, I don't think it would cut through a 2x4, as I have to hand spin the blade to get it to start spinning!  
The Good news is my wife found on one of her quilting forums she can use a Dremel with router attachment to make something called Groovy boards for her quilting machine.....sounds like I might be getting some of those attachments too!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:14 pm

RknRusty wrote:I have $140 BD money. and my Son gave me a $25 dollar gift card from Lowes to add to it. If you see anything interesting you think I'd like, let me know. I already bought some threaded rod, steel control horns and various hardware at the HS. I'm going to look through the Dremel tools and maybe get a router attachment or a saw contraption... there're all sorts of attachments I probably never thought of.

Hey Rus.. I looked at the Dremel-selection at my Lowes.. and was not particularly impressed. The router-attachment that "I" have.. wasn't there.. and probably isn't in production any longer. There were "plunge-router" and "drill-press" attachments to fit their "current" moto-tools. Be sure to check if your tool is compatible with what they offer now.

Maybe now is the time to spring for a small table-saw Rusty... Shocked You've wanted one. I can't give you any advice there. Best to shop the saws/prices.. look at the attachments; ripping-fence/miter-gage.. and read some reviews prior to making a decision.

A small (bench-top) saw will more than handle your hobby-needs.. and also be adequate for a lot of small handy-man jobs. Often-times.. it's fitting the saw with a good quality "blade".. that makes the difference in the finish.

I like to have several blades to choose from for the work I want to do. A good-sharp plywood-blade is indispensable. You definitely get what you pay for with saw-blades. Carbide-toothed blades are no exception. More "teeth" produce a cleaner-cut. You can buy and stock some cheap blades for general-purpose cutting; where finish is not important. You'll want options.. and it's really good to have a selection of blades to choose from.

My table-saw was my Grandfather's. It's an old "Tool-Kraft/Darra James" machine built in Springfield, MA.. when God was young.. Laughing It has a 1/2" arbor.. therefore I need to use a reducing-adapter for modern 5/8" arbor blades..

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Arbor-10

Laughing I don't mind.. because this little saw was built to last several lifetimes. It has replaceable motor-brushes.. a cast-iron table (weighs a small-ton) and is just a quality-machine through and through. I still have an original "Tool-Kraft/Darra James" blade for the saw.

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Tool-k10

The "CCMS" marking on the blade was for "Clark-Cutler Machine Shop".. where my Grandfather worked.

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Darra_11

I have to set the ripping-fence with a framing-square.. and the miter-gage is missing.. but that doesn't bother me. It was my grandfather's saw.. and I loved him.. and think of him whenever I use it. I have a new compound miter-saw now for cross-grain cuts.

Black and Decker "used to" have a line of blades that had 1/2" arbor-holes. I still have some of those blades.

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Plywoo10
Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Carbid10

Here's a nice plywood blade..

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Plywoo11

Sorry for the ramblings.. but having a good assortment of blades is just as important as the quality of the saw itself.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:54 pm

lol, funny we often think alike, as spring rolls in, i've been thinking of replacing my cordless drill...that or rebuild the battery pack (hard, not cheep) or build a totally separate battery pack attached with detachable 4'-5' of 110v lamp cord (cheep, easy, but not real portable) or buy a new drill....thinking new drill!

Last edited by Mark Boesen on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:31 pm

I have probably owned every series of cordless drill motors since the early NiCd days

my personal fav, to date, is my PorterCable 20VDC LiOn drill...great bat life, well balanced, fairly light compared to iron man heavy DeWalt--- but a tad heavier than a good Makita... easy to find on sale...(mine came with charger and TWO bats) for $79 also from Lowe's

That all said, my hobby shop cordless is a simple 20VDC Lithium  Black n Decker Wally World for $29 ....no where near as robust as the Porter Cable but light and does my motor mounts and other light duty drilling just fine

Store Brand (in my case Lowe's Kobalt) (( a brand I actually have a lot of)) drill motors are heavy stuff....Yes my Kobalt drill motor (18VDC Lithium) is a beast, but the weight alone will beat you into 20 min use submission every time......

BTW, my half the weight, Porter Cable drill will torque right out of my hand if a 1/2" spade bit binds any in a 2x4... jest sayin

Last edited by fredvon4 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bob reminded me it was Kobalt not Cobalt)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm a Craftsman guy.  I have been ever since I bought my first Craftsman circular saw back in the '50's.  It took me about 60 years to wear it out going though a couple of power cords and several sets of brushes over the years.  I still have Dad's Sears jig saw and sander in working condition bought I don't know when.  He was proud enough of them to etch his name on each, one reason I have kept them I guess. I put new power cords on both last year.  

I have several of these Craftsman small drills, love them.  Got them spread around.  But when I need something serious I get out the 19.2 V hammer/drill.  I built the deck in front of the shed with it.  Torque enough for any job.

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Tools_14

Years ago during a move I sold a Craftsman jig saw and regretted it.  Found one just like it on ebay last year and snatched it up.

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Tools_11

But my go-to jig saw is an old B&D Quantum.  Remember those? Made drills too.  I can't wear it out.

My go to "dremel" is not a Dremel but this Craftsman dremel tool.  Looks like a Dremel and may in fact have been made by Dremel but it is so superior it's in a whole better league.

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Tools_13

My Son bought me this "Rotozip" tool at some yard sale.  I still have not found a need for it.

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Tools_15

Like Fred, I have my share of B&D and Harbor Freight tools.  Unashamed and adequate for household duties.

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Tools_10

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Tools_12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:55 pm

This recent purchase has been a LONG time coming. My old 9.6V 3/8" Makita cordless VSR was a really nice tool for many years.. but replacement batteries were quite expensive.. as well as hard to find. I did need to replace the charger early-on.. and the tool's trigger sw. needed to be replaced within 2 years. The battery-pack design was different than most Makita cordless VSR's of the time.. which made them somewhat of a rarity.

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Makita10

I could have broken open the sealed-packs.. and replaced the NiCd cells with higher-capacity NiMh ones.. (and still could..) but it just wasn't ever worth my time. The old packs will still charge.. but their capacities are drastically reduced.

My old B & D 3/8" corded VSR has been a steadfast workhorse for 30 some-odd years..

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  B__d_710

It's never let me down. I always wanted to swap-out the 3/8" chuck for a 1/2" Jacobs.. but I don't think that the spindle-threads are compatible. I believe that you can replace the chuck on most drills by opening the jaws and removing the retaining-screw.. then use an Allen-key (largest that the chuck will hold) with the short-arm tightened in the chuck.. and smartly rapping the long arm of the key CCW with a hammer.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:54 pm

That 3/8" B&D brings back memories roddie. I don't know what happened to mine, sold it, lost it, or just plain wore it out but it's gone now. One of their Quantum series replaces it along with a newer Hitachi.

The Dremel/Craftsman (above) almost went into the trash when the jaws in the chuck rusted together. I finally got it off the threads destroying it in the process. Thankfully I found another chuck. Now all my drills get a compressed air blowout and a squirt of Remoil prior to putting them away.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:12 pm

rsv1cox wrote:That 3/8" B&D brings back memories roddie.  I don't know what happened to mine, sold it, lost it, or just plain wore it out but it's gone now.  One of their Quantum series replaces it along with a newer Hitachi.

The Dremel/Craftsman (above) almost went into the trash when the jaws in the chuck rusted together.  I finally got it off the threads destroying it in the process.  Thankfully I found another chuck.  Now all my drills get a compressed air blowout and a squirt of Remoil prior to  putting them away.

Bob

Check-out this old girl..

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Crafts10
Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Crafts11
Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Crafts12

How old would you say that tool is? I can't remember where/when I got it.. but thinking now; it might be a candidate for mounting upside-down in an open bottom fixture with a small table-area for quick and dirty cut-offs.

Question; Are carbon motor-brushes for small power-tools a standard size generally? I've never replaced brushes.. so I've I haven't shopped them. Would a good hardware store still stock them? Sears is sadly going by the wayside.. Crying or Very sad

An air-compressor is next on my tool wish-list. Your mentioning of compressed air blowout reminded me of how convenient one would be. I'd like a fairly small compressor that can be carried/rolled-around and operated on 110VAC. Maybe a 10gal unit. Does Harbor Freight stock a decent one around that size? Would one that size be big enough to effectively feed a standard qt. size spray-gun for paint/lacquer application?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:42 pm

I am sure absolutely that each of the purists that love Sears Craftsman know exactly that they were/are getting a re-branded tool... and there are many web sites over the years to see who actually produced the tool

And to their Credit,  Sears actually did a good job of re branding some of the higher end tools...

as an aside

I thought it interesting that you could....years ago...get a Sears Craftsman version --cheaper ---than the Original Delta, Poulan, Porter Cable, etc etc product...

And even better, was the warranty... Not sure now---- but there were years where the Sears Craftsman guarantee was also for ANY Power tool

My only excuse for not STILL being a pure Craftsman guy is NO LOCAL Sears store.....grrrrrrr
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:43 pm

fredvon4 wrote:I am sure absolutely that each of the purists that love Sears Craftsman know exactly that they were/are getting a re-branded tool... and there are many web sites over the years to see who actually produced the tool. And to their Credit,  Sears actually did a good job of re branding some of the higher end tools...

In music, we call instruments sold as under one manufacturer but manufactured by another as Stencils. For example, some time back for a time, entry level Yamaha saxes were made by Taiwanese company who manufactured Jupiters. LeBlanc entry level Vito saxes were made by Yamaha. I have a LeBlanc Vito tenor sax that I think may be a Jupiter.

Yes, overall, most of the Craftsmen were decent tools. Don't know how true, but heard some of their power tools were DeWalt's. I know most their kitchen appliances are Whirlpools. (Bought parts cross listed as Whirpool, used Whirlpool instructions for repair, etc.) Lawn mowers are made by Electrolux, who makes mowers under various company labels.

Had a single speed Craftsman 1/4" electric drill. I think I paid $12 for it around 1974. Gave it away to a friend 25 years later, still working fine. Still have my single speed jigsaw I bought same time same price. I'm not a heavy user of tools, but for occasional homeowner use they work fine. OTOH, had Black and Decker products quickly wear out and get tossed.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:07 pm

I think mostly later in life Fred, when Sears was gasping for life.  But yes, they were all mostly branded power tools made by someone else for Sear's - see my "Dremel/Craftsman" above, a clone of a Dremel of the same era.  But the switchology, boxing, and accessories are slightly different as with most of their offerings in an attempt to be different.  

Remember when you could take any Craftsman hand tool back for a no questions asked replacement?  Screwdrivers, hammers, you name it.  My brother worked for Sears all his life selling tools and lawn equipment and remembers people bringing in boxes of tools for replacements.  When the world went to Hades a generation or two back they took back that offer.  COSTCO still offers the practice and I have no idea how they stay in business.  Both of my daughters work there and could tell you stories of people taking advantage.

roddie, no air compressor?  How do you do it.....how does anyone do it.... I have three, no make that four.  Forgot about the one in the loft.  Just keeping 30 some tires inflated is a challenge.  

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Tools_19

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Tools_21

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Tools_24

Notice all cheap stuff.  Everybody doesn't need Ingersoll-Rand.

Your vintage Craftsman jig saw sent me out to the shed to recover Dad's.  Same era, 40's/50's I would think.  Most brushes are different, cut to a certain size and spec. springs are different too.   I have replaced the starter brushes on my Honda Ranger ATV twice and they need it again.  New starter $100.00, New brushes $6.00 shipped.  Takes about an hour, I'm not sure what my shop rate is - $100 or $6.  Probably the latter. Smile

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Tools_23

Bob

Last edited by rsv1cox on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:11 pm

George, you ald Phart, you made me spit a bit o beer out the nasal....grin

I too have a 45 +/- year old single speed jig saw.... BUT I do do a LOT of non modeling wood work and have several other different Jig saws each with a different capability and more importantly different blades

In fact, as I re-read this, I think if any of my buddies came to my shop(s) they would probably notice I have several low end tools but a grand investment in a wide selection of the very best blades, bits, drills, and sandpapers....

And as a further aside I am some what aggravated when I do get to show off my shop(s) and the friend/acquaintance does NOT notice the lower end tool combined with a blade that cost exponentially more than the tool

I know this is a hijack...but the truth is.... talking tools is kind o a second passion

In our case life has been good to wife and I, so I have a broad selection from the early years (poor) crap tools--- to the now (try hard to find cheap) best of the best....

That said...I still find myself gravitating back -often -to Harbor Freight stuff....

Jew, or frugal, whatever--- but I find a lot of good VALUE in a lot of HF offerings....

That...and I am somewhat anal about free shipping and coupons...double grin

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:31 pm

True story Bob...RE air compressors

When we bought this property in Aug 1994 there existed a 30 X 40 site built work shop in the deal

I need two big ticket things in a short span of time...riding mower and good Large air compressor

back then locally was a smallish regional contractor supply type store (McCoys) with very limited selection of stuff-- and a Sears* in the so called New Mall

* this was a micro Sears...mostly a catalog input place....not much on the floor to kick and lick

I got the dinky Sears to order me their bigger 18 HP garden tractor with 42" deck but no way I was gonna give them $890 of the 6HP 60 Gallon 125 PSI 9 CFM compressor....  BTW I still abuse the Craftsman Garden tractor but also moved up to better John Deere XL series riders

No real on line back then (some but not much) BUT I did have an "in the mail" Harbor Freight Monthly flier, with a DeVillbis 6.5HP 80 Gallon 150 PSI 13 CFM compressor  with FREE SHIPPING (from Las Vegas)  for $449....

800 number and away I went...6 weeks later a tractor trailer delivers the big bugger... 1995....still running my major air needs...

BUT like you, I have air compressors all over the property. I think 4 ......almost all of them smaller HF ones

I especially love the very lite HF small form 1/4" air lines for the work that does not need larger air volume
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Phred and everybody else.. No need to worry about hijacking this thread.. Laughing We all love tools! You can never have too many! I love reading about people's experience.. the stories.. where they bought them.. their dependability.. etc.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:50 pm

BTW Bob

I had to do a couple of double takes on your photo of the Central Pneumatic 21 Gal 5 HP upright... 25 PSI max...!!! damn

Grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:02 pm

fredvon4 wrote:BTW Bob

I had to do a couple of double takes on your photo of the Central Pneumatic 21 Gal 5 HP  upright... 25 PSI max...!!! damn

Grin

Yup, 25 that's a lot of PSI. Got to remember to move the air hose in future photos. Smile

HF on sale $149 I think. When cold weather arrived it needed compression release to start, son wanted to bring it back. Kids. Now that it's broken in it works fine. Love it for the price. No problem powering up the sand blaster and ripping off rust from car parts. Previous owner of this property left a similar Craftsman, I rebuilt it twice before finally replacing it.

When I bought it there were several "reconditioned" ones availabe for $115 each. I should have got one of those. I bet they were all returned ffor the same cold start problem.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:58 pm

Speaking of air compressors, around 1993, I bought a Sears 120 Volt single phase AC 3.5 HP 125 PSI one with 25 gallon tank, still have it, paid $300 US. Runs off a standard 15 Amp circuit, air delivery 8.5 CFM @ 40 PSI. Somewhere underneath the tank is stamped "Devlbliss", who manufactured it.

Then around 1999 to early 2000's, they discontinued the 3.5 HP, advertising 6 HP. I thought, "Man, I should have waited a few years". Then I looked at the specs. They provided the same air delivery and pressure as my 3.5. As a sales gimmick, the manufacturers were listing the compressor motor's stall HP, not its delivery HP as they did previously. Then I didn't feel as bad.

It has suited me well. I fill car and motorcycle tires by increasing pressure to 100, which allows decent air delivery. Even painted a couple cars, motorcycles plus body work with it.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  Empty Shout out to Rusty

Post  roddie Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:20 pm

He was the 1st to reply to this/my thread. We miss you Rusty. You would have liked the deal I got on a pair of new NiMh replacement-packs for my old Makita cordless 3/8" VSR. An oddball tool.. as Makita drills go.. but still; Makita through and through. The original #6201D tool came with a pair of #9100 9.6V. NiCd packs and a #DC9700A "fast charger".

Both NiCd packs saw their EOUL (end of useful life.. Laughing ) years ago. Replacement Makita packs were/are ridiculously expensive, which is why I sought/bought the Porter Cable tools having the newer Lithium ion cell technology.

Just for s and g ($#it's and giggles..) I searched the internet recently for replacement-packs for the old drill. (see below)

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  20210610

Above image; a comparison to the original Makita NiCd (top) to the replacement NiMh pack (bottom)

The NiMh packs (X2) are stated to be fully-compatible with the Makita Fast-Charger.. and have no "memory effect". Their rating is 9.6V./3600mAh.

Cost was less than $40 USD shipped for the pair. The drill is still in very good condition. It's had "light-use"... if had to classify it. The fast-charger died early-on.. but was replaced under warranty. It's worked fine since..

Porter-Cable sale at Lowes  20210611

My wife "Lynne" can utilize it. (That's what I told her.. to help justify buying the packs.. Laughing )
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down