Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by aspeed Today at 8:06 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

What the Heck is 'Trolling'?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Empty Re: What the Heck is 'Trolling'?

Post  Kim Mon May 29, 2017 9:30 am

micro 0951 wrote:Oh my....i've never seen anyone get their knickers in a twist over an engine Shocked  I've got much to learn.....

Same here! I have an image in my mind of these poor guys, slowly dieing of Radon poisoning in their mom's basement...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon May 29, 2017 1:43 pm

Kim, I read those comments on your YouTube video, and one persona was very inflammatory. With a nym such as soaringtractor is a tipoff he is a troll. Trolls even exist in CL forums. Here is a conversation thread, an example of trolling in Stuka Stunt Forums, just for my reposting Pat Johnston's friend's engines for sale from Brotherhood of the Ring. His friend, Bud Becker is in his late senior years. He has many NOS engines and wanted to give them a good home to those he thought would benefit most, the CL community. Those who did purchase Bud's engines were pleased with the cost and condition.

Admin got involved and deleted the thread. On June 4, 2015, I saved a PDF print of that thread just prior to deletion. My intent is not to dig up dirt but to show how trolls must lie and humiliate their perceived opponents. Worst troll was an E-Bay plans seller, of whom I will never do business with. You'll have to forgive me, but this thread was long, even though I am including a small snippet of that conversation, I have never sold on E-Bay. I live over 1,000 miles (1,600 km) from Bud. This E-Bay troll thinks I was a seller some time back that went by the seller name of "highupstuff". Even though I reasoned with him throughout the conversation, it continued to degrade. I'm not here to sling mud, but if one is curious about this conversation, I can forward them the PDF if they PM me. Where you see [....] is where I snipped away posts of lesser importance for this discussion.

Thread Bud Becker has Over 63 Engines for Sale:
ghostler, Sun May-03-15 01:49 AM wrote:With permission of Pat Johnson, I thought this to be of mutual benefit for all and thus am forwarding this. It may be an opportunity for you to pick up that engine you've always wanted and also help out Bud Becker:
Pat Johnston wrote:This is a list containing model engines which Bud Becker is willing to sell. Bud can be reached at (208) ***-****. I’ve seen these engines. Many are NIB and most all are in excellent condition. Bud is looking for fair prices and is more than happy to see engines go to homes where they will be treasured and hopefully used. Please don’t embarrass yourself when offering a price. Pat Johnston

1. Cox TD 010
2. Cox TD 020
3. Cox 049 RR1
[....]
61. O&R engine parts?
62. OS VR 65 Disk (2)
63. OS VR 65 Drum Valve!!!
[....]
Pat Johnston wrote:I got the list directly from Bud. He didn't have prices on the list, but is more than happy to listen to reasonable offers. Bud is 83 years old and is not computer oriented. He is not out to gouge anyone on the prices, just is looking for something reasonable and is most interested in people having fun with a new engine. Some really interesting ones on the list, such as the OS65 Drum Valve speed engine or the Como 40 Schneurle. I used the Como 40 for Q500 racing in the early 80's and was not aware that they even had a schneurle ported engine. I fondled the G21/35 and it is a cool early 70's combat motor. It may need bearings or just have them cleaned up. Either way, there are a lot of unusual motors here to look at. Sorry, no prices, just give Bud a shout. Pat Johnston, Skunk Works
ghostler wrote:Pat, I concur wholeheartedly. I think it is much better to deal with a fellow CL flier directly, than to deal with an auction house such as E-Bay. There are no seller fees and frankly I think those interested will be pleasantly surprised if they ask.
a*****3 wrote:With all due respect, Pat and George, you're missing the point. This forum has existed for many years, and the forum host makes the rules - not you. Many of us have used this forum for several years, complying with the rules. If that's too much to ask of you, I would respectfully request that you post elsewhere. I personally have been embarrassed making "reasonable offers". One man's junk is another man's treasure ... d*****s
a*****3 wrote:PS: Just spoke with Bud. His words: "I'm not destitute; I'll bury them in the back yard before I'll give 'em away". He wouldn't even name his price on several, saying "I'll have to study that." Sounds like eBay prices to me, and I've sold hundreds and hundreds of engines there over the past 15 years! d*****s
Posted by r*****l wrote:Somewhere in Utah a cantankerous old guy is trudging towards his backyard, shovel in hand.
ghostler wrote:
a*****3 wrote:With all due respect, Pat and George, you're missing the point. This forum has existed for many years, and the forum host makes the rules - not you. Many of us have used this forum for several years, complying with the rules. If that's too much to ask of you, I would respectfully request that you post elsewhere. I personally have been embarrassed making "reasonable offers". One man's junk is another man's treasure ... d*****s

For someone posting "with all due respect", I don't know what created this provocative response. For one, neither Pat nor I are setting any form of rules. We are simply passing on to the CL community for sale items by an elderly man and CL flier getting closer to the end of his useful life who desires to reduce his belongings and wants to see these engines get a good home to those who will appreciate them.

I looked through Stuka Stunt FAQ's and the only guidance I see for posting Classifieds is List Items for sale or wanted. Please limit these to control line related items only. According to Bud, these are CL/FF engines, so we complied with that. So, if there are any rules I am unaware of them.

a*****3 wrote:PS: Just spoke with Bud. His words: "I'm not destitute; I'll bury them in the back yard before I'll give 'em away". He wouldn't even name his price on several, saying "I'll have to study that." Sounds like eBay prices to me, and I've sold hundreds and hundreds of engines there over the past 15 years! d*****s

I just called Bud and had a pleasant conversation with him, this was my first contact with him. Part of the reason why he didn't have pricing assigned is because he really didn't know what should be an asking price. Regarding giving things away, for NOS in the box engines, well yes, who would just give them away? Bud is not computer literate. He doesn't have access to a computer, spends no time on the Internet, and what he knows of pricing is a bit back when he was more active into building and flying.

He's already gotten quite a few calls, since I posted this list to not only this forum but to Stunt Hangar and Cox Engine Forums. He has agreed on offers, is waiting for buyers to send him checks before he ships them out. I will try and help him out every couple days by finding out what engines are left and update the list. I discussed with Bud your comments here. I mentioned your name d*****s, and he doesn't recall speaking to anyone with your name, unless you called anonymously.

So far, he told me that those who called him were courteous and as far as he knew there were no unpleasant or negative discussions. He told me although it is possible that he might have said that, he doesn't recall that and was dismayed that someone would be unhappy with his response. Given your tone of voice here d*****s, I don't know of how many people would respond to you.

If you think you have an axe to grind, in (Items for Sale) you received this reply:
g*****r wrote:RE: Plans Closeout, Part II: I have e-mailed you twice re postage and a question on one of the plans. To date, no reply. g*****r, AMA *****

Did you answer g*****r? I don't know if you realize it, but your attitude reflects on your products and services. After receiving these two tactless responses from you plus this one from Guy, I would have great difficulty to ever consider buying anything from you. I say this not to deter others, but I don't think you realize that what you are doing is actually hurting yourself more than it is hurting us or the CL community.
a*****3 wrote:Well George, what a mouthful. You certainly seem to have a lot of free time to post and analyze the business prowess of others. I told Bud who I am and where I'm located - and when my phone bill arrives, I'll post the long-distance call segment here so we can determine whose "memory" is working when needed. Or convenient. Will that suffice George, or must we record our calls to avoid implications that we're dishonest? You write: "Part of the reason why he didn't have pricing assigned is because he really didn't know what should be an asking price. Regarding giving things away, for NOS in the box engines, well yes, who would just give them away? Bud is not computer literate. He doesn't have access to a computer, spends no time on the Internet, and what he knows of pricing is a bit back when he was more active into building and flying."

Your "logic" totally escapes me - how then does he determine whether or not to accept an offer? And please, don't stoop so low as to insult our intelligence by suggesting we expect him to give things away. I very clearly asked him about several specific engines I was interested in, and he very clearly answered in each and every instance, "I'll have to study that". If he wants to entertain offers and wait until he hears one that sounds right, how is that much different than eBay?

Regarding the "rules" here: my bad! I've posted and responded to listings here for 14 years. This is the first day I've not found the rule stating that prices must be posted. I think it's fair to say our host was a real bear about that rule, and have no idea when it disappeared. Three other individuals made the same mistake before me.

Incidentally George, the "highplainsthumper" moniker sounds familiar - did you sell a stash of control line kits on eBay some years back, possibly while located in Idaho? d*****s
ghostler wrote:
a*****3 wrote:Well George, what a mouthful. You certainly seem to have a lot of free time to post and analyze the business prowess of others.

1) Past 2 years I posted 186 messages on Stuka Stunt since joining in June 2013, which works out to an average of a message every 4 days.

2) I could care less about your business prowess.

a*****3 wrote:I told Bud who I am and where I'm located - and when my phone bill arrives, I'll post the long-distance call segment here so we can determine whose "memory" is working when needed. Or convenient. Will that suffice George, or must we record our calls to avoid implications that we're dishonest?

3) I only stated my observations.

a*****3 wrote:You write: "Part of the reason why he didn't have pricing assigned is because he really didn't know what should be an asking price. Regarding giving things away, for NOS in the box engines, well yes, who would just give them away? Bud is not computer literate. He doesn't have access to a computer, spends no time on the Internet, and what he knows of pricing is a bit back when he was more active into building and flying."

Your "logic" totally escapes me - how then does he determine whether or not to accept an offer? And please, don't stoop so low as to insult our intelligence by suggesting we expect him to give things away. I very clearly asked him about several specific engines I was interested in, and he very clearly answered in each and every instance, "I'll have to study that".

4) Sometimes people don't know what they want, but they certainly know what they don't want. He's already accepted offers, so it must be working for him. If he wants to entertain offers and wait until he hears one that sounds right, how is that much different than eBay?

5) I seemed to have hit a sensitive nerve when I mentioned previously about dealing with a modeler directly instead of E-Bay. What is your hang up with an alternate to E-Bay?

a*****3 wrote:Regarding the "rules" here: my bad! I've posted and responded to listings here for 14 years. This is the first day I've not found the rule stating that prices must be posted. I think it's fair to say our host was a real bear about that rule, and have no idea when it disappeared. Three other individuals made the same mistake before me.

6) Noted.

a*****3 wrote:Incidentally George, the "highplainsthumper" moniker sounds familiar - did you sell a stash of control line kits on eBay some years back, possibly while located in Idaho? d*****s

7) I have never sold on E-Bay. I have never lived in or visited Idaho. I live in the High Plains of New Mexico bordering Texas Panhandle and used to ride a large single cylinder 650 cc engine motorcycle AKA a Thumper.
a*****3 wrote:Color it any way you like George, you clearly implied that I called anonymously - or not at all. I asked about the G.20-.15 diesel; Bud stated he was holding it for an offer of $100. The K&B .35 Green Head is used, but in good condition, with a nice green head. When asked how much he wanted for it - I truly don't want to offend anyone with an offer - the answer was a clear "I'll have to study that". The G.15 is a front intake with the red venturi, new in box. When asked about the price, Bud gave the same answer. I asked about others, with the exact same result and then the "I'll bury them in my back yard before I'll give 'em away." Now, who's playing the "bad memory" game? When did I ask him to give anything away? Bud clearly wanted to entertain offers - which is better than eBay in many ways, because you're not committed to sell at all. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck ...

I spent more than 7 hours with 2 elderly modeler friends (both in their 80s) yesterday George, one of whom can hardly walk and carries an oxygen bottle with him to feed the stream he breathes. I paid far more than the value of a few things I bought from him, offered to rent a trailer and cart his remaining stash of airplanes & supplies to a swap meet next Saturday, and to help he and his wife advertise a garage sale with large clubs in this area if they choose to go that route. That's hardly looking to steal from a fellow modeler.

Maybe you haven't noticed: 5 of us responded to you and Pat's listing here; 4 of us questioned the lack of prices.

If you truly want to be helpful to this man and the modeling community, perhaps you and Pat can find the time to help him set fair prices. Just as I did with both friends yesterday. But I guess that wouldn't give you the visibility you seem to be seeking ... d*****s

Again my apologies for the length of this post. It continues to degrade further as the thread gets longer. I should have following Pat Johnston's example and not further reply.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 29, 2017 3:02 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Thanks, Roddie. Kim, you need the ultimate flame warrior, Admin. Laughing

What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Admin810

lol! That sums it up pretty well! It's pretty lonely up here at the top. It's hard to comprehend the sheer amount of power I really have, I could ban everyone so that no one is here to disagree with me, or I could just delete the whole forum in a matter of seconds! Maybe I need a little extra spending $$, I could open up a premium forum and charge everyone $10 to enter...remember you wouldn't be cool unless you were in that forum Eyebrows  The power is just unbelievable.

People are so well behaved on here that it's been well over a year since I had to ban someone...and that was a spammer. There's been a few times we've had a heated argument that needed to be broken up. Some of us may remember the fellow who came on here to argue with Bernie. He was banned at first, but he sent me an apologetic email, and me being such a hardass, let him back in.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue May 30, 2017 5:03 am

I figured you'd get a kick out of that caricature, Jacob. Very Happy Thanks for your efforts on making CEF a safe haven for posting.

Here's the thread's ending. Notice that the E-Bay troll continues his false accusations along with one of his troll friends joining in. Indeed the dark triad of narcissism, psychopathy and sadism that I mentioned from Psychology Today earlier in this thread are evident in his personality.

Stuka Stunt thread, Bud Becker has Over 63 Engines for Sale
Post #20607 by a*****r, Wed Jun-03-15 02:34 PM
They locked this thread on Stunt Hangar. AND, removed all, but the pleasant comments.
Post #20608 by a*****3, Wed Jun-03-15 05:17 PM
In the meantime, G*** H*** [me confused ] is seeking sympathy and demeaning those who disagree with him on the Brotherhood of the Ring forums. And being called "a Scholar and a Gentleman" ... after confessing there "I just broke my word, posted a message of an update to Stuka Stunt (double post by accident), indicating what engines sold." Gee, does the word of a "gentleman" mean anything? I guess some can't resist ... d*****s
Post #20610 by m*****s, Thu Jun-04-15 05:50 AM
After reading through this distasteful diatribe I am appalled by the hateful, childish behavior on display.
In the meantime, G*** H*** is seeking sympathy and demeaning those who disagree with him on the Brotherhood of the Ring forums. And being called "a Scholar and a Gentleman" ... after confessing there "I just broke my word, posted a message of an update to Stuka Stunt (double post by accident), indicating what engines sold." Gee, does the word of a "gentleman" mean anything? I guess some can't resist ... d*****s

Is this comment really necessary? Is it helpful? At this point you're just being a dick. Now go ahead with a hateful rebuttal and get the (hopefully) last word in.
Post #20611 by a*****3, Thu Jun-04-15 08:23 AM
Is this comment really necessary? Is it helpful? At this point you're just being a dick. Now go ahead with a hateful rebuttal and get the (hopefully) last word in.

Is name calling helpful m*****s? Were you the schoolyard bully? Has anyone here implied that you're a liar, or that you called Bud with a chip on your shoulder, and were those statements "helpful"? In my world, a "gentleman" would at least accept responsibility for those accusations when proven wrong. d*****s
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue May 30, 2017 12:22 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:I figured you'd get a kick out of that caricature, Jacob. Very Happy Thanks for your efforts on making CEF a safe haven for posting.
In stating this comment, did I become? Shocked
What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Sycoph10
This Site Rocks!

A few more flame warriors.

What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Artful10
What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Coffee10
What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Evilcl10
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 31, 2017 12:32 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:I figured you'd get a kick out of that caricature, Jacob. Very Happy Thanks for your efforts on making CEF a safe haven for posting.
In stating this comment, did I become? Shocked
What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Sycoph10
This Site Rocks!

lol! You have been for awhile now. Wink

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed May 31, 2017 9:51 pm

Admin wrote:lol! You have been for awhile now.  Wink

lol! Very Happy

Here's the character that might affect the autonomy of Admin's power by fomenting revolt causing forum members to jump ship. Shocked Eyebrows

What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Rebell10

Regarding previous post of trolling I experienced in CL forums, I purposely didn't mention names specifically. I thought it more important to indicate the type of trolling that does go on. There was absolutely no trolling when I posted that engine list here, which is good.

coxengineforum.com/bud becker has 63 engines for sale 6-1-15

It's kind of sad that there are difficult people in the world who cannot respect the likes and opinions of others and must make sport through disruption and other negative unmentionables.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:18 pm

Here's a few additional ones that are not on that political discussion forum website.

What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Ent80010
What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Typhoi10
What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Fanboy10
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:24 pm

I need to read back through and figure out which one(s) I primarily convey to the crowd. Sometimes I'm a clown, but not the evil one described above. Once in a while, I'm an absent minded professor. I'm most certainly a braggart or at least a showoff, leading to late-night goofiness and then revisions in the morning hoping nobody read it yet. Smoking Hmmm, I must study this some more.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:17 am

An Ent would be engine guru's like Larry Renger and Joe Wagner.

I particularly like the wording of this description,
Mike Reed wrote:Typhoid Mary blunders across the interenet spreading infection far and wide. Ignoring repeated warnings not to open attachments from unknown senders and unmoved by entreaties to run security patches and update virus definitions she is the unwitting vector for countless hacks, trojan horses and embeded viruses. .... and is the frequent object of Admin's homicidal fantasies.
lol!

Besides Sycophant I'm probably a little bit of Fanboy (used to defend Linux in forums where I was heavily trolled). After battle I felt a lot like:  Shocked
What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Palook10
Damn! This Site Rocks!

Here's Kung-Fu Master:
What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Kung-f10

And, does this one resemble a moderator in this forum? Laughing
What the Heck is 'Trolling'? - Page 2 Nanny810

Wink Eyebrows
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Note for Rusty

Do NOT do it!!!

the "in your own head" mind games quickly become obsessive EVERY time you try to post a response or new thought

ON some other forums this may be a good venture, but for the most part EVERY ONE on CEF already has an established "personality"

Each------ with some variation of  -Flame Warriors- characteristics ....and only in very very few instances, do we have any true, mean, adversarial confrontations..... ( maybe I am naive and they are readily moderated away before I notice them)

Basically what I am saying .... posted above....I poured through all the characters trying to see through YOUR eyes how I might seem on CEF.... fools errand...no way for me to know HOW Ken, Kim, Bob, George , Rusty or any other member perceives my answers or musings

and just to be the a-hole I am in real life...George is all wet about the Linux or what ever supposedly anti Micro Soft or Apple OS is better stance-- he has

OK OK I am deliberately being  a Flame Warrior I did not see....Button Pusher!!...

Every Body knows full well SCO Xenix is superior in every way as an OS

Be kind to me George....please
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:34 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Note for Rusty

Do NOT do it!!!

the "in your own head" mind games quickly become obsessive EVERY time you try to post a response or new thought

ON some other forums this may be a good venture, but for the most part EVERY ONE on CEF already has an established "personality"

Each------ with some variation of  -Flame Warriors- characteristics ....and only in very very few instances, do we have any true, mean, adversarial confrontations..... ( maybe I am naive and they are readily moderated away before I notice them)

Basically what I am saying .... posted above....I poured through all the characters trying to see through YOUR eyes how I might seem on CEF.... fools errand...no way for me to know HOW Ken, Kim, Bob, George , Rusty or any other member perceives my answers or musings
I was only doing it for fun, Fred. I'm secure in the nut that is my skin, and feel like I come off as a useful link in the crowd.

Btw, I wanted to have a look at the source of all these cartoons, followed the link that was posted early in the thread and surfed links from there, but never did come across the archives or whatever it is.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:01 pm

George :;:
It's kind of sad that there are difficult people in the world who cannot respect the likes and opinions of others and must make sport through disruption and other negative unmentionables. wrote:
No respect No control!! Just saying ... I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:45 pm

fredvon4 wrote:OK OK I am deliberately being  a Flame Warrior I did not see....Button Pusher!!... Every Body knows full well SCO Xenix is superior in every way as an OS Be kind to me George....please

Basic all Unix and Unix variants, Linux included are superior to Win***s. Where problems occur is more related to inadequate administrative security (weak passwords, badly configured firewall, etc.) The author of Symantec Antivirus uses Linux for browsing the 'net that reason. I always laughed when I saw the text at work when loading Win***s NT,

Win***s NT wrote:Loading security policy ....

because at best it was a cosmetic statement.

Regarding comparing people to these Mike Reed caricatures, no, that could be construed as offensive and that is not the purpose here. I may lightly hint, but to directly equate someone by name to one of those characters (myself excepting) could become an insult. It is just not worth doing.

RknRusty wrote:Btw, I wanted to have a look at the source of all these cartoons, followed the link that was posted early in the thread and surfed links from there, but never did come across the archives or whatever it is.

Source is: https://www.politicsforum.org/flame-warriors/

getback wrote:George :;: No respect No control!! Just saying ... I Love This Forum!

Eric, you are correct, it is all about ego and control over others by trolls. Some of the trolling is sinister, regarding silencing opposition, for example:

Groklaw: How to Get Your Platform Accepted as a Standard - M$ Style

Comes (Iowa) vs M$, Plaintiff Court Exhibit 3096 wrote:Evangelism's goal is to put the final nail into the competing technology's coffin, and bury it in the burning depths of the earth. Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2." Just keep rubbing it in, via the [mainstream media] press, [hand picked] analysts, [Usenet] newsgroups, whatever. Make the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the mythology of the computer industry. ....

Generalized Evangelism Timeline ....

11. Mopping Up. During the mopping-up phase, ensure that the enemy technology is routed. Use the press, the Internet, etc. to heighten the impression that the enemy is desperate, demoralized, defeated, depressed.

This describes industrial grade trolling, much by hired professional trolls (consultants and deviants, etc.) paid under the table in the name of industrial control for financial gain.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Thanks for taking the bait George...

Me...MS OSs since MS Dos 1.2 in 1982 and to date, never been hacked...but did experience a few times needing to re-install the OS as some virus/worm was just too invasive for my (ALWAYS FREE) fire wall, AV program

BTW although I spent my 24 as an Artillery man and Helicopter repairman the ARMY Operational Test Command hired me to test very large software's as a test officer. And this forced me to work closely with the Software security and exploit side of Army G5... my tests always had security exploitation events.... NO OS IS IMMUNE>>>>Period>>>Fact...

I can say pretty definitively, that Being the IT guy for 12,000+ MS Users on Windows is infinatly easier than 2500- users on Xenix Intel 360 serial connected work stations and 35 Parallel fed printers... ...at least my experience as the (UNPAID E-7~E-Cool Sys Admin at Ft Eustice 1987~1991 ( Xenix OS) or 3 Corps COSCOM 1992~1994 (MS OS)

BUT Yes an argument can be made that some OSs or a tad better.... BUT I suspect a lot of that is just economics of scale or opportunity...

I tend to think hackers are basically lazy, and go for most bang for the buck... the world of Linux uses is so proportionately smaller and the world of MS/ Apple so much larger...the later are the best Targets...

See-- Grin ---Brother...you can indeed push my buttons too....

BTW I am truly agnostic and do not give a real tinkers damn who used/uses what OS...

MY my hands will NEVER wrap around an APPLE Phone...other than to huck it into a river.....

BUT then, hey, I met and BSed with Bill gates when he and I were teen agers... too bad I was a brain dead teen ager and did not foster a better buddy in Bill and be part of his early business....another lost opportunity

I was just getting (smart ??) cogent before drafted in Calif. when Steve Jobs was basically giving away Apple computers to the CA schools... crafty bugger properly assuming all other parents would go BUY his way over priced crap for the lil munchkins.... I know, I exploited the same desire when selling Encyclopedias door to door

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:49 am

Fred, after reading your post, I thought it best not to respond right away. For one, the topic is on the issue of trolling, not justifying one piece of software over another. My point is there is industrial level trolling going on, to push one's product over another by giving a false sense of praise of one and damnation of the other. Trolling includes even devious non-ethical methods of character assassination, false accusations, attempting to destroy a target's reputation to affect their relationships and employability,

A favorite troll line is Linux is suitable for servers, but not suitable for desktop. Another is Linux violates 235 M$ software patents, which has extorted money forcing companies to pay for licenses on patents from manufacturers who use various forms of the Linux operating system in appliances, cellphones, TV's, etc. through the threat of lawsuits. Very few, except for companies like Google (reference Linux based Android) have the resources to take on a multi-billionaire giant to court. They are required to sign non-disclosure statements, so much occurs in the dark. Another term for this is patent trolling.

These so called patent infringement lawsuits makes the Walker vs. Cox U-Control bellcrank patent lawsuit pale in comparison.

AMA Blog: 2011-08-21 Model Aviation Moments
AMA Blog, August 25, 2011 wrote:In 1953, things changed for Walker when L.M. Cox manufacturing released their TD-1. This small model airplane duplicated Walker’s patent and so Walker filed a patent infringement lawsuit against L.M. Cox Manufacturing Co., Inc. on two counts:
  • The use of the two-line bellcrank system and combination control handle/wire reel.
  • Infringement on the trademark “U-Control.”
The case went to court in 1955 with Walker and Cox providing evidence, witnesses, and flight demonstrations. With this evidence the court ruled:
  1. Walker’s patent was void and invalid.
  2. Cox had not infringed on the trademark “U-Control.
The song, "Happy Birthday" caused grief for many restaurant and other business owners, who had to pay a fee to avoid a so called copyright violation. Two years ago, a US judge ruled that the song is now public domain after proof was submitted that the song melody and lyrics had been published prior to 1923. (Anything published before 1923 is now in the public domain.) This is why that if you requested the staff sing happy birthday, they often would substitute a another melody and set of lyrics.

The Guardian: 2016/feb/09 Happy Birthday Song Lawsuit Warner Chappell Settlement
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2