Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

8th Annivesay of The Little Traveler Flight for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

View previous topic View next topic Go down

8th Annivesay of The Little Traveler Flight for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Post  Kim on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Hard to believe that it was 8 years ago!

So, in the midst of all this Ringmaster Rage, it turns out that it's the 8th anniversary of the 'Little Traveler Flight for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital'

Eight years ago this evening, my modified Sterling 'Minnie Mambo' was hand-launched from the field next to Olmsted's Firehouse. It flew along Rt. 37 and Rt.169, guided by me as I sat in the back of Mike Bloom's pick-up. Rory ran the video camera all the way, capturing the the whole flight, and giving us an accurate timeline.

15 miles and about 32 minutes later, it's Cox .049 exhausted it's 4 ounce fuel tank over Boaz, Illinois, and Little Traveler glided to a smooth landing in my Uncle Wayne's back yard.

We raised over $1,600 dollars for St. Jude Hospital, and I managed NOT to lose Rory and Mike as friends!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXNYdOkp6Og

Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 8th Annivesay of The Little Traveler Flight for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Post  RknRusty on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:13 pm

Those are great stories. I was trying to recollect it for my buddy Wayne, and told him about one of the charity flights ending early with a plunge into the Mississippi River. I hope I got that part right.
He looks at your On the Ramp thread once in a while.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 8th Annivesay of The Little Traveler Flight for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Post  Marleysky on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Hey! There's nothing wrong with watching reruns! I think there are a couple of TV stations that show nothing but old classics. The flight of The Little Traveler may not be old, but it's a classic if not just classy! Thanks Kim. cheers
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:01 am

RknRusty wrote:Those are great stories. I was trying to recollect it for my buddy Wayne, and told him about one of the charity flights ending early with a plunge into the Mississippi River. I hope I got that part right.
He looks at your On the Ramp thread once in a while.
Rusty

Thanks Rusty!

Yeah, that was Little Traveler II, a Cox Sanwa Q-Tee, that attempted it's cross-country flight on May 19, 2010.  Followed by a chase helicopter, it lost a wing in rough air over the Mississippi only a couple miles into it's 30 mile attempt.  Our supporters still came across with over $1,400 in donations for St. Jude, so I still considered it a success, though it was the first and only time I ever totally lost a plane.

Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 am

I remember your post about losing Little Traveler II in the river. Bummer, but for a good cause.

St. Jude's, The Salvation Army, and Hospice, three charities I support on an annual basis.

Bob
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top