Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee Cox_ba12

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Simple Gliders
by getback Today at 7:13 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by getback Today at 6:24 am

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by getback Today at 6:23 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee Empty
Live on Patrol

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee

Go down

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee Empty Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:19 pm

While there's been little mention of it, I recall Kim making good use of early mornings drinking coffee and reading old American Modeller mags. Years back Sterling ran a contest in regards to the Ringmaster. One would modify and decorate the Ringmaster. There was some very very cool and interesting models built. Uncle Sam was one, another was a locomotive and the stack did smoke from the engine exhaust. The "Flying Man" was another which was probably one of the most remembered. My flying partner Dan has had one of these original Flying Man Ringmaster's for the past 40 years. While not in my possession as of yet, he's decided to pass this historical relic on to me to restore. I know Kim has had to come across these in those old magazines. Sterling in fact at one point offered customized Ringmaster kits for those to participate in these fun events. This is great stuff and I'm going to offer this Flying Man the ability to take to the air once again. I'm happy that Dan has offered me the chance to fix it.

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee Img_0210

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee Img_0211

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee Img_0212

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee Img_0213

I love the elevator painted like sneaks. I can't wait to fix it up this is going to make a great winter project. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee Empty Re: Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee

Post  NEW222 Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:13 pm

Never seen or heard of this before. It looks awesome, and cannot wait to see the finished product. Should look very neat.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee Empty Re: Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:28 pm

I have seen those here and there. I didn’t know about the locomotive, that one sounds really cool.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:52 pm

Ken, here’s a webpage about the 1962 American Modeller Annual issue with the Flying Men article:

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/airplanes/david-j-holland-flying-man-1962-am-annual.htm

I have these in a .pdf file, but for the life of me I can’t remember where I downloaded it.

The Forgetful Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:08 am

Mark , that's a cool find. I'm glad you found the magazine as well. I was wondering if Kim had that mag. I know this Ring will be able to hang like a Bi-Slob as mentioned in the article as the sabre dance. Surprisingly, this moldy oldie is light.A lot has to be said for the imagination back then. After seeing the r/c guys flying these foam board hot glue planes yesterday, it makes me wonder if the hobby has gone backwards. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:06 am

Checking for that and follow-up articles that I know I've seen. While not the same deal, so far this morning, all I have to offer is this from the January '59 issue of Model Airplane News:

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee 1_19
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:19 am

Love the "Flying Man." Before pictures are great, can't wait to see the afters when your restoration is complete.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:05 am

Looks like a fun restore project , hope you will carry use along with ya.
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:24 am

old magazines at HPA downloads PDF https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/categories.php?cat_id=147 Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:07 am

getback wrote:old magazines at HPA downloads PDF https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/categories.php?cat_id=147  Very Happy

You reached back a bit to get this one Eric.  Nice to revisit some old posts, especially this one.

I have read at breakfast almost every morning for the last fifty years.  Newspapers, books - dozens of books, magazines everything from Automobile to Smithsonian magazine.  Currently I'm finishing Richard Bongs book (Mike O'Connor) Ace of Aces.  

Been dreading the last chapter that I started this morning because I already knew the ending when he died testing the then new Lockheed P-80 Shooting Star.  The book filled in the details that I did not know as the crash was witnessed by several people.  The engine emitting black smoke gave out on takeoff at about 400 feet.  Dick was seen trying to exit the aircraft pulling his chute and getting tangled in the shrouds.  

Haven't got to the results of the investigation yet.  

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee P1010247
          Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee P1010248

Kim and his Sunday morning magazines and coffee Lockhe16
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down