Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Wierd enough to be Franken? Cox_ba12

Wierd enough to be Franken? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Wierd enough to be Franken? Empty
Live on Patrol

Wierd enough to be Franken?

Go down

Wierd enough to be Franken? Empty Wierd enough to be Franken?

Post  rsv1cox Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:16 pm

To most here "Franken" means a tuned engine made with carefully matched parts intended to turn a zillion or two RPM's

This one isn't that.

It's the bottom of the barrel, what's left over from assembling/cleaning 50 or so common Cox Bee engines.

The piston and cylinder are NIP Cox parts, the crankshaft and drive washer are from parts, the glow head came from MECOA, the needle is from used parts, the reed and reed retainer are from Bernie, and I believe the cast case is from a lot of engine parts that I bought on ebay years ago from Matt, and the Sure-Start and choke tube have been hanging around forever and I think also came from Matt in that same buy.  

The key was finding a tank that fit, when I stumbled on the Sure-Start parts.  I was surprised when they just snapped into place.  It got even better when I discovered that the phillips pan head 2-56X1/2" machine screws that I have a hundred of fit without cutting to length.

I'm not familiar with the Sure-Starts.  The Cox handbook says it was necessary when Cox went to the slit cylinders, making priming difficult, so they came up with this.  I guess you put a finger over the tube and flip the prop over to prime the engine.  

Wierd enough to be Franken? Cox_fr11

Wierd enough to be Franken? Cox_fr10

Maybe not so weird, Cox put out the Sure-Starts in both cast and die cast cases.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Wierd enough to be Franken? Empty Re: Wierd enough to be Franken?

Post  Tee Bee Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:06 pm

I've found the snorkel intakes unnecessary on my Surestarts. I usually remove them for easier firewall mounting and they have always started readily with a little prime in the exhaust ports just like any other reedie. The only two snorkels I have in service currently have Bernie's intake throttle setup on them. They required fabrication of some hardwood spacer blocks on each side to mount them. I think the CL models that came like that had instructions to prime fuel into the intake. The logic was probably to prevent the chance of a fuel fire burning fingers at the exhaust. Flying Cox engines is supposed to involve a little sacrifice and pain. Smile
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Nice looking little engine there Bob. For a parts engine, it will probably run great. Do you have any plans on flying it, bench running, or or is it just for your display. What I like the most of the cast crankcases is that they seem to take color very well. I have been watching for a good ol used one to powdercoat. Or next time I order from C.I., put one in my order.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:29 am

Thanks, I would like to run all of these clean-ups/rebuilds/Frankens but at 80 years old I think I would run out of time...... Smile

I will single out several to run on a test stand, and the green monster will be one of them. Matt is sending me a better fitting prop drive washer for it.

Out of boxes of complete Cox engines, and drawers full of Cox parts I'm down to these. I should just toss them but that's not me. I'm trying to salvage a drilled Black Widow fuel tank and a crankshaft/case with broken off studs. Also postage stamps. I think I will give in and toss the bunch. Sad It's not about money it's about giving up.

Wierd enough to be Franken? Cox_fr12

Wierd enough to be Franken? Cox_fr13

Wierd enough to be Franken? Cox_fr14
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:44 am

Tee Bee wrote:I've found the snorkel intakes unnecessary on my Surestarts.  I usually remove them for easier firewall mounting and they have always started readily with a little prime in the exhaust ports just like any other reedie.  The only two snorkels I have in service currently have Bernie's intake throttle setup on them.  They required fabrication of some hardwood spacer blocks on each side to mount them.  I think the CL models that came like that had instructions to prime fuel into the intake.  The logic was probably to prevent the chance of a fuel fire burning fingers at the exhaust.  Flying Cox engines is supposed to involve a little sacrifice and pain. Smile

As it's the only Sure Start (type) engine however made-up I have I think I will keep it as is and mount it using stand-offs.

I remember when I bought my first slit cylinder engine and flew it on one of my Sterling hollow logs. I found it useful in keeping seeds and debris out of the cylinder and seriously thought that was it's intended purpose. In my opinion it's only useful function.

I really liked the lighting that you added to your display. It brightened the colors of your engines and added to their enjoyment. I'm sure the wife approved. Smile Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:23 am

rsv1cox wrote:I really liked the lighting that you added to your display.  It brightened the colors of your engines and added to their enjoyment.  I'm sure the wife approved.  Smile  Bob

Thanks! She actually said it looks great! She was probably just being nice since I'm taking her to Key West this weekend. Easter Bunny
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down