Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Cox_ba12

OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Today at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Today at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Today at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Today at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:47 pm

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 12:44 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Empty
Live on Patrol

OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !!

Go down

OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Empty OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !!

Post  Marleysky Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:10 pm

You’ve all seen those TV commercials with the poor, sad looking, neglected dogs, nobody cares for or feeds them, left shivering out in the cold....and only you can save them by sending your ATM card to them for only $19 a month.  Well, I kept seeing the same “for sale” posting week after week. This seller describes how much time and fun he had soaring with these planes, while living in Japan, catching thermals gliding back down then powering back up to try and catch another thermal. The descriptions included both planes, a transmitter, battery charger and two dead batteries.....and this old Cox engine, is included wether you want it or not!  That little engine just kept calling out to me. “I need a home, to be run and warmed up and soar again! “ I kept getting this feeling like looking at them poor cold dogs. He re listed the same add, with a price I couldn’t refuse. Went on a road trip today and returned with the whole group.
Look,it’s Electric
OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! A6c36f10
Check out the price stickers:

OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Cbdf4810
Black Dog Widow, smiles on her adjustable pod:
OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! E4b01a10
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Empty Re: OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !!

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:24 pm

Congrats, Marleysky on the buy, nice power pod with even better Black Widow, what a score! Sounds more like you bought the Black Widow for a song and got a free airplane, power pod, overhaul kit, spinner, engine wrenches and glow head to go with it! Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Empty Re: OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !!

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:30 pm

Yeah, ok, it is electric, but it doesn't need to be. Take a lesson from Kim and strap that power pod on and go fly with nitro. Consider the electric motor for emergencies only, when you run out of fuel and thermals and you need to fly home.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Looks like a nice engine, and couple of nice sailplanes there. The .049 adjustable engine mount looks rather neat as well. Good score.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:46 pm

Nice catch and good of you to rescue the unwanted Black Widow.

I have a pod like that, bought new in 1983 or 84 to install my Babe Bee on top of a Thunder Tiger Gull-450. The pod is made in Japan, and it came as a kit in a plastic bag. Not the most aerodynamic design I suppose but it does the job.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:48 pm

Ditto! Good Score...and nothing like the good feeling of taking in a "Rescue" !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:41 am

Nice save Rene , Now just get ur ready for some skytime !! Babe Bee .049 RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Hahaha! Rene, you get a greenie just for making me laugh out loud. Thanks, bud.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Based on all the different replies, what's neat here is everyone has a different perspective on this unique purchase that started out in mystery and became fun.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:58 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Based on all the different replies, what's neat here is everyone has a different perspective on this unique purchase that started out in mystery and became fun.
We've got some good story tellers here, don't we.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:42 pm

RknRusty wrote:We've got some good story tellers here, don't we.

True, for example, for under $30, recently I won a bid on a less than cosmetically perfect legacy K&B .35 Stallion CL engine. It has casting imperfections that were more typical of the engines back in the 1950's. Engine is NOS, no tooling marks on the screws, no screw or washer marks on the mounting lugs, engine is somewhat tight as it is not broken in yet.

That less than perfect exterior chased away the collectors, but I plan to mount it on a CL aircraft and fly it.

OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Kb_35_11
OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Kb_35_13
OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Kb_35_12
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:45 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
RknRusty wrote:We've got some good story tellers here, don't we.

True, for example, for under $30, recently I won a bid on a less than cosmetically perfect legacy K&B .35 Stallion CL engine. It has casting imperfections that were more typical of the engines back in the 1950's. Engine is NOS, no tooling marks on the screws, no screw or washer marks on the mounting lugs, engine is somewhat tight as it is not broken in yet.

That less than perfect exterior chased away the collectors, but I plan to mount it on a CL aircraft and fly it.

OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Kb_35_11
OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Kb_35_13
OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! Kb_35_12

The 'Choir' agrees with this line of thinking!!!!!

OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! War_do10

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Kim wrote:The 'Choir' agrees with this line of thinking!!!!!
OH NO! I bought a Electric Plane !! War_do10

You've got a prize there, Kim. Nothing wrong with a runner that still is ticking and kicking, especially a Delrin square back 290 RTF engine with no less a Goldberg mount. Love the way you straightened the bent fins on the cylinder, to make them effective again. About the only thing I'd do in addition would be dress the prop thrust plate with a file, then a little Mother's Aluminum Polish to shine it, but then that's me.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:03 am

George.

Personally, I'd guess your engine is corroded rather than having casting imperfections. The head, crankcase, backplate and drive washer all show signs of the pitting, but are all separate castings. Casting imperfections would be a very unlikely coincidence. My first impression when seeing your pictures was that the alloy has been sandblasted. I have an old Thunder Tiger that displays almost identical type pitting. It looks like it's been laying on its side in something corrosive. Maybe in the bottom of a flight box with a leaking battery, or even left covered in fuel with the methanol slowly eating away at the alloy. It can happen.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:28 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Personally, I'd guess your engine is corroded rather than having casting imperfections. The head, crankcase, backplate and drive washer all show signs of the pitting, but are all separate castings. Casting imperfections would be a very unlikely coincidence. My first impression when seeing your pictures was that the alloy has been sandblasted. I have an old Thunder Tiger that displays almost identical type pitting. It looks like it's been laying on its side in something corrosive. Maybe in the bottom of a flight box with a leaking battery, or even left covered in fuel with the methanol slowly eating away at the alloy. It can happen.

You have a point, Rod. A closer look, yes, it is odd that occlusions would be heaviest on one side, the side opposite the needle valve. After putting a good light source to it, there still is fine grit aluminized powdered dust on the fins of the steel cylinder. Someone must have used a small nozzle sand blaster on it. I can see baked on Castor in the cylinder exhaust opening.

It now appears this gal is lying about her age. I'm planning to disassemble, slow cook in anti-freeze, do a thorough clean up. Then see how it bench runs. That will determine if it is usable or not.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down