Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Cox_ba12

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Empty
Live on Patrol

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Empty Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:58 pm

With apologies.

Bored today.......Rainy, nasty day. Can't go outside without getting soaked. Sworn off Professional football. MG is finished.

So I pulled out this Glenfield model 75 in .22 LR and shot it from a covered porch into the base of that cut down oak tree alluded to in the California Giants thread.

Brought back memories of the last time I shot it a decade or so ago in Florida. Bench rested at 50 yards it would consistently group 5 round sets into a quarter sized circle. Hadn't shot it since.

I love this rifle, right up there with my lifetime Remington model 550. I bought it at an auction, 25 bucks maybe. Nasty dirty action, dented receiver, no blue on the barrel but the bore - immaculate with Marlins "Micro groove" rifling. Stock was cut down for a child and the finish looked just like the other model 75 pictured.

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Marlin10

I didn't want to just add on another piece of beechwood so I decided to accent the addition with plywood set at a 90 degree angle and finish natural.

While cleaning it I happened to notice a gift from Terry (Wha Tah Hey) sitting on top of a cabinet. Gone but not forgotten Terry.

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Marlin11

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Empty Re: Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:20 pm

I have a 550 Remington. I love it, it's a real joy to use.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Ken Cook wrote:          I have a 550 Remington. I love it, it's a real joy to use.

My all time favorite .22 caliber rifle Ken. I have had at least one since the age of nine.

Most people do not know that the model 550 and the later post WW2 550-1 are gas operated actions, but only in .22 short mode. Conceived by David "Carbine" Williams his patents appear right on the barrel.

A crusty opinionated character, Williams went to prison for the murder of a LEO where he designed the "floating chamber" aka "Power Piston" used in the Remington's and also in the M1 Carbine. A movie was made about his life and starred Jimmy Stewart. The rifle shown in the movie is a modified Remington model 8.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Img_2027
Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Img_2028

My favorite firearm of all time.  Except for maybe Ma Deuce.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:48 am

The 550-P Dave, the rarest of all the 550 series.

Built on the early 550 action it's different from the far more numerous 550-1P. Issued with Remington's "Point Crometer" peep sight and a ramp front sight. The date of manufacture code stamped on the barrel just ahead of the receiver should start with either K (1941) or L (1942) if it's MMZ (1943) lock it away in a safe.

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Rem_5510

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Empty I am tempted to delete this post......DO not read the following as it is all politics...please see my next post

Post  fredvon4 Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Sworn off pro foot ball....???

I know politics.....bad topic.....BUT there it is

I am not sure if I am pist at myself --or the league ---or the few nut cases who disrespect the flag

Personally I am usually the guy who thinks protesting, burning the flag is 100% OK........BUT my support of your protest always assumes I stand in agreement that YOUR cause has merit, has righteousness ......  Unfortunately I find the grief Colin K and crew are pist about has NO true merit

The rank and file Police officers in this country are NOT racially biased and indiscriminately kill black citizens based on some bias....
Are there some bad cops?...OH hell yes
Are there some bad soldiers?..OH Hell yes
Are there some bad politicians? Oh hell yea
Are there some very bad Athletes? Oh hell yes

AND I actually listened to President Trump...Invite any or all NFL players to meet him and discuss their perceived grievances and he promised he would direct the DOJ to look into each case..........Player athlete response....big middle finger

Funny thing is..... President Donald Trump has MORE black: Businessmen, athletes, man on the street, political pundents....than Barry Obama ever had

Funny thing # 2(two) this morning I was set to watch the CBS game...Texans Vs Patriots....guess what happen 2 minuets before the Pre Game show....kick off...Technical Glictch.....NO airing of the national Anthem....

Hey CBS I was born at night....but NOT last night!....just looked it up....NE 27 Texans 20.... wished I had watched sound like it was a great game

Last edited by fredvon4 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : too political)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Some days just playing with the hand guns and rifles is cathartic...... and obviously we always need to keep up with simple cleaning and maintenance

recently wife and I were motivated to re-inventory, clean, sort, play with, shoot, our meager weapon collection

This included a serious evaluation of all the reloading components and next 5 year probability of use.....

Some decisions are on hold as we are constantly morphing this property....example....sold the Self contained RV last year and just now converting the 15' tall x 41' long x 15' wide in to a enclosed electrified and air conditioned shop....so there is some math involved to decide if we can store 500,000 rounds with enough components for another 1/4 million rounds......

I suspect a few reading this have greatly raised eyebrows.........I want you to consider something......
IF the [bleep] hits the fan and your 90 day supply of water and food is depleted........what is worth more: $5,000 in gold or 10,000 .45 bullets

Think on that for a fast second......IN a end of the world event the commodities YOU need are ONLY those things that OTHERS NEED..... all 22 rim fire bullets will be in great demand....NO Virginia NOT self defense ...subsistence hunting

Some groups will greatly desire any hand gun ammo...9mm/ .45......When the power is OFF...Barter and trade is name of game

I submit for the group that Ammunition is right now-- Low cost, small space, high commodity value for future ....

I am not suggesting any Extinction Level Event is imminent.... BUT I know folks in the Houston Area that 14 months later are still NOT back to normal life

We never seem to hear much about it but...there are families in Hawaii, Florida, Northern Cal, Japan, Central America, and many other parts of the world with NATURAL or POLITICAL ( Venezuela) events has a LOT of just plain normal folk scrambling for food and water and shelter

Desperate people act very erratically.....

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Freddy, Freddy.....I love ya pardner even though I have never met you. I agree with you on most everything but the sky isn't falling. Take two Zanax and call me in the morning. Smile

My best.........

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:03 pm

My other favorite is my 572 Fieldmaster. Unfortunately, something hasn't been correct with the action. I have to operate it quick and not pause. It's been fired so many times that I'm sure it's just something worn. The metal arm which is actuated by the front stock has a very special screw that retains it. I lost that screw last year. I was able to purchase it through Numrich. The screw and washer was $30 with shipping. I made darn sure it had loc-tite on it this time around. Mine has a very old K-mart brand scope on it. While it's cheap, it's effective. The scope though is getting a touch cloudy.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Hey Fred I'll take some 45s please, can I pay in gold? Seriously you really do need to look out for yourself after a disaster, good people shine but there is many that are there to take advantage of the mayhem. You can't depend on government on any level. After 92 storm that flattened Homestead Fl. Governor was asleep at the switch, no response from the state for a while people were getting desperate till aid and the Guard came. No police because they were flattened too.
For home defense to me the more lead the better, I like 45 ACP pistols and my shotguns have OOO buckshot. The shotshells have nine 9MM balls and will shred anything inside 75 feet.
A million rounds is a thousand thousands, if you make 1000 a day it will take 1000 days. Get er done!!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Ken Cook wrote:        My other favorite is my 572 Fieldmaster. Unfortunately, something hasn't been correct with the action. I have to operate it quick and not pause. It's been fired so many times that I'm sure it's just something worn. The metal arm which is actuated by the front stock has a very special screw that retains it. I lost that screw last year. I was able to purchase it through Numrich. The screw and washer was $30 with shipping. I made darn sure it had loc-tite on it this time around. Mine has a very old K-mart brand scope on it. While it's cheap, it's effective. The scope though is getting a touch cloudy.

One of my favorites too. I built this one from parts and may have pictured it here before.

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Rem_5710

As you know Ken, alloy receivers wear especially right where that slide operates and get sloppy. A little Tetra lube helps there. The fact that the forearm on the 572 is not a tight fit adds to the problem.

The thing with slide actions, they have to be operated aggressively, all the way out, all the way in to eject the spent round and load the incoming round.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:43 pm

"Some days just playing with the hand guns and rifles is cathartic...... and obviously we always need to keep up with simple cleaning and maintenance."

Boy, that's a fact.

"I suspect a few reading this have greatly raised eyebrows.........I want you to consider something......
IF the [bleep] hits the fan and your 90 day supply of water and food is depleted........what is worth more: $5,000 in gold or 10,000 .45 bullets."

Love my 45.

"Think on that for a fast second......IN a end of the world event the commodities YOU need are ONLY those things that OTHERS NEED..... all 22 rim fire bullets will be in great demand....NO Virginia NOT self defense ...subsistence hunting"

I'm stocking up on toilet paper.  That's a commodity people will pay dearly for.

"Desperate people act very erratically....."

Especially when they need toilet paper.  Ask Mama if she'd rather have a brick of 22LR or a case of Charmin 90 days in.

Last edited by Dave P. on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : A little creative rewording)
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks for the info on my 550 Bob. I've always wondered about it.

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Img_2029

I'm guessing this is a 1941 model then.  Dad traded it for an O&R in '55, or so the story goes.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:03 am

Yes, your rifle was made in June 1941 ID'd by the BLACKPOWDERX code. 12 letters, one for each month of the year.

All Remington's from 1921 on-wards with few exceptions were marked with a date of manufacture code. Some year codes are repetitive so you have to know the model of your firearm too.

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield Rem_da10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Dave P

"Especially when they need toilet paper. Ask Mama if she'd rather have a brick of 22LR or a case of Charmin 90 days in."
love this ....made me laugh out loud

I probably have more than a few CEFrs thinking I am a tin hat "end of times" nut case....and that is a false description

I am a pragmatic adult who recognizes history and potential future events and simply formulates easy to enact plans

I was a recently retired senior soldier from Ft Hood as Y2K approached...

Hell I doubt many reading this know what Year 2000 computer glitch meant as relates to most American Life....Y2K had the potential to screw up a lot of OUR normal life....and these disruptions had the potential to cause RIOTING in major cities....this was so serious that Nationally we activated Active Army and National Guards and Civil authorities to provide encampments and well protected command centers....

Here in Texas we re-opened 45 compounds and forts to handle the thousands of incarcerated civilians expected......

I also suggest any citizen to determine if they are in the path of ANY natural disaster..... just cuz it is NOT in the NEWS does NOT mean Houston Texas is back to normal....far from it

Hurricane Florence is about the seriously displace and screw over a LOT of people
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:16 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Dave P

I probably have more than a few CEFrs thinking I am a tin hat "end of times" nut case....and that is a false description

I am a pragmatic adult who recognizes history and potential future events and  simply formulates easy to enact plans

Hurricane Florence is about the seriously displace and screw over a LOT of people

No Fred, most of us believe you are a level headed, even tempered Texan, well, I do anyway.
If you don’t know your history you’re doomed to repeat the mistakes of others. Y2K was taken way too seriously by way too many people. I felt like the only sane person while everyone else was screaming “the sky is falling” repeatedly. The money mongers selling everything you to need to survive the end of days. Even my neighbors church was selling Y2K survival kits, he bought a bunch, I declined his offer for some. Our corporate IT guru’s did a test run on our computer system to determine the effect of changing the date to Dec31st1999 and see what came up the next day jan1st2000 Buzzwhirr every thing kept running. Government shut down, banks closing freezing accounts just BS (aka Fake News)
Well, we all know now nothing happened, but we’re prepared, systems backup just in case. That’s our inside family joke, when someone mentions our huge oversupply of ‘Charmin”. Oh, that is our y2K stockpile !

Florence is gonna be a real bad for many people for sure,  but most have the opportunity and time to get to safety way ahead of landfall.

Food for thought: “they” won’t take away our guns, but will serverly limit the amount of ammunition any one individual can possess, for sport and field. Not enough to kill multiple people. I can’t locate it right now, but there is//was a copy of a letter from Homeland Security explaining the need to limit production and control flow of “Nitro” because it (nitro) had been used in the 1995 Oklahoma Bombing.....I check my shoes for bombs every morning too!         23 years later Nitro is a problem??   Damn!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:48 am

fredvon4 wrote:Dave P

I am a pragmatic adult who recognizes history and potential future events and  simply formulates easy to enact plans

I was  a recently retired senior soldier from Ft Hood as Y2K approached...

Hell I doubt many reading this know what Year 2000 computer glitch meant as relates to most American Life....Y2K had the potential to screw up a lot of OUR normal life....and these disruptions had the potential to cause RIOTING in major cities....this was so serious that Nationally we activated Active Army and National Guards and Civil authorities to provide encampments and well protected command centers....

Here in Texas we re-opened 45 compounds and forts to handle the thousands of incarcerated civilians expected......

I also suggest any citizen to determine if they are in the path of ANY natural disaster..... just cuz it is NOT in the NEWS does NOT mean Houston Texas is back to normal....far from it

I don't think you're being a 'Tin Hat" type at all, Fred.  I was just making light of a serious subject as I often do.  I was a Boy Scout once upon a time and firmly believe in the motto "Be Prepared".  We're in the projected path of destruction from Florence so this is a timely issue for me.  Cleaned off the porch and fired up the generator and Coleman stove last night.  Hopefully ammo won't be an issue, but you never know...  I'm ready either way.

I was stationed at Fort Hood from '77 to '84, in the First Cav. We lived in Copperas Cove and used to go to Lampasas fairly regularly. They still doing the Rattlesnake Round Up?
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:24 am

Spring Ho
Rabbit Fest
Rattle Snake Round up

All Still annual events
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:47 am

Redneck Heaven, that town!! Glad to hear that at least THAT hasn't changed!
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 pm

All you all east coast folks pay attention...pleas Big Blow Flo is not fooling she is a dangerous Bi-------
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:27 pm

I love my Marlins/Glenfields. I'll take an old Marlin over a new 10/22 any day. Can't beat a micro-groove barrel. 'least not for less than $250+ for an aftermarket barrel. And a nice micro-groove on an old bolt action brush gun? Mmmmm-MMMMM! I need to get out to the range soon. Life's gotten in the way the last couple of months and I've not had much fun time.

Bob, I remember that movie from when I was a kid. I always wanted to see it again. Maybe I can find a copy and watch while I do some reloading. I'm also seriously behind on my reloading. I've got about 2500 pieces of cleaned pistol brass waiting powder and lead.

Fred, my wife was on some kick about accumulating old coins because they have real silver in them. I tried explaining to her that they were worthless, because in a time of government melt down and bartering, no one is going to care that a 1962 dime has x% silver. They'll want something they can eat, or something that'll get them something to eat. I've got an agreement with a friend who has a place in the no-wheres that when TSHTF, he'll be happy to share his summer place with me because I can contribute guns and ammo and survival supplies. I'm setup to bug in, but I live too close to Portland, and I wouldn't want to have to deal with the idiots around here. Sitting out in the back of no where with some books and magazines for three or four months while the crazies turn on themselves should be long enough for things to settle out.

My friend and his wife aren't into guns, but recognize the value of having someone on hand who is. Although, at the moment I only have about 5K large centerfire rounds, mostly .30-06 and 7.62x54R, with four or five cans of x39. If I ever get around to re-loading my pistol brass, I'll be good for another 4 or 5K of handgun stuff. I'm not exactly sure how much shotgun I have, because it's spread around between 12GA and 410GA, and between various shot and slug combinations. I should catalog it someday. I'm light on .223 also, at about 2K. Mostly because, even though I love my Mini-14, I don't really enjoy shooting it as much as my bigger stuff. And I never have enough .22. Now that it's starting to come down, I'm buying in small lots again. The local Bi-Mart had the lowest price for .22 I've seen in a while, so I bought a short case of 2,500 40gr HP Remington.

So, long winded as this post is, yeah, I'm a crazy too.

The Mutant Biker Zombie Hunter Mark

p.s. Last week I was talking with one of the guys from Delta park who shoots 50yd bench rest .22. He just got a weaver 36x power scope for his rifle. 36x at 50 yards! Where's the skill in that?!? Give me iron sights any day.

The M1 Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:58 pm

.22 ammo is getting abundant now. 2 years ago hardly any supply and at high prices when you did find some. I hardly have any supply of ammo. Some .40 S&W and .357 magnum on hand. 50 rounds or so of 40-65 WCF for my 1886 Winchester. That gun is nice but too expensive to shoot.

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:28 pm

I guess we hijacked the heck out of bobs thread.....cool thing is lots of CEFers are gun guys n gals also
My/Our personal weapons inventory is really modest .....compared to my local peer groups....and similarly my reloading capacity mostly focused on terribly expensive ammo.... 45 colt..45-70..45 acp..
However the accumulation og powders, primers, brass , and bullets covered a broader range of potential need.....for use or barter

There may be someone's value in gold or silver but i bet ......sugar, flower, water, gasoline, ammunition, twinkies.....crap even 35% glow fuel is wort more than a OZ of some metal

Jest sayin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:03 am

fredvon4 wrote:.....crap even 35% glow fuel is wort more than a OZ of some metal

Jest sayin

Oh, no doubt. After the apocalypse, a quart of SIG 25% and a pair of D cell batteries will trade for a couple of pigs and a bushel of corn, easy...
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:24 am

batjac wrote:Oh, no doubt.  After the apocalypse, a quart of SIG 25% and a pair of D cell batteries will trade for a couple of pigs and a bushel of corn, easy...
Just have to watch for the Smokers. What? Tired w/ Coffee Read Popcorn Affraid or WOW!

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next