Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield - Page 2 Empty Re: Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 am

Turn about is fair play Fred, I have high jacked my share, but nothing I see here is jacked as far as I can see.

Got my copy through TCM Mark.

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield - Page 2 Willia10

Despite Jimmy's blue eyes and over-all nice guy rep. Williams wasn't a nice guy. His history at Remington was fraught with complaints and disruptions. They paid him a royalty of fifty cents on every patented rifle they made. Added up when you consider that about 750,000 model 550's were sold. Eventually they bought him out.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:46 pm

I am a big fan of a LOT of those older actors....Jimmy Stewart in the mix

What truly astounds me is current Internet Encyclopedic capability of searching

so I found a list of actors who were in over 120 movies

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls053612898/

and the interesting thing is ----I do not have enough free time to search on demand/net flix/Prime/Hulu/ CBS/NBC or any of the growing and growing entertainment channels

so--- for now ----it looks like I am going to my grave having NOT watched and enjoyed a great deal of American Cinematic History

OK here is a morbid thought to ponder

IN 1965 I had exactly 3 networks to watch for a very few hours each day as a 2nd or 3rd grade child....ABC/CBS/NBC....( I think the ((Pirate UHF)) channels did not appear on our B&W screen until the very later 60s to very early 70s....in the greater San Fran Bay Area.....)

Only One I really remember cuz I was a teen age kid in High School ---and any thing about SEX got my attention.... I assume 1970 by my age

Channel 36 (UHF) from San Jose featured a Stripper* after 10 PM week end nights.... very badly done B grade movies that were some what riskey for the day

Carol Dota

*On September 3, 1969, Carol Doda began dancing bottomless (i.e., totally nude) at the Condor. She danced bottomless until the California Alcoholic Beverages Commission passed a rule in the autumn of 1972 prohibiting nude dancing in places that served alcohol.

From the late-1960s through the late-1970s, Doda was the spokes-model for what is now the San Jose, California television station KICU-TV Channel 36, then known as KGSC-TV. Filmed from the waist up and wearing clothes which amplified her most prominent physical attributes, she would coo "You're watching the Perfect 36 in San Jose."
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Speaking of Jimmy Stewart and old westerns, my vote goes to "Winchester '73".
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Dave P. wrote:Speaking of Jimmy Stewart and old westerns, my vote goes to "Winchester '73".  

Good one, but I would prefer Winchester 94/22............. Smile

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield - Page 2 Win_9410
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:07 pm

fredvon4 wrote:I am a big fan of a LOT of those older actors....Jimmy Stewart in the mix

What truly astounds me is current Internet Encyclopedic capability of searching

so I found a list of actors who were in over 120 movies

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls053612898/

So many of those names stand out Fred, Danny Glover in "Places in the Heart", George Kennedy in "Cool Hand Luke", James Earle Jones in "Field of Dreams" and Bette Davis in everything.

I was never a movie fan until I discovered TCM. Seems I have seen all the movies that I could not afford to see when I was a kid.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:12 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
Dave P. wrote:Speaking of Jimmy Stewart and old westerns, my vote goes to "Winchester '73".  

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield - Page 2 Win_9410

But Jimmy Stewart wasn't in that one!
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:25 am

Dave P. wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:

But Jimmy Stewart wasn't in that one!

Ha, ha........But I was. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:52 am

Several years ago, I was dating a lady that belonged to one of our local "Cult Churches" (vague references to God, Christ, or the Bible, but mostly focusing on raising money for itself), and one of their projects was preparing for the soon-to-be Judgment Day.

By our third date, and like any zealot worth their salt, she set about converting me to the Light, and in an almost interrogating tone, questioned what I'd done to get ready for the mayhem.

I said I'd already done all I needed to do...I owned a very nice rifle.  
"What's THAT supposed to mean??!!"

I should mention that she'd revealed herself to be an anti-gun zealot as well, and I replied that, "In Armageddon, a good rifle will be essentially the same thing as a shopping cart."

We only dated a couple more times after that, including a "Christmas Play" at her church that never mentioned Christ, before I finally pulled the plug on the whole deal.

For a while after, I received several strategically chosen verses of scripture via E-mail before she either gave up or found another convert.

Good times!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:59 am

Kim wrote:I should mention that she'd revealed herself to be an anti-gun zealot as well, and I replied that, "In Armageddon, a good rifle will be essentially the same thing as a shopping cart." We only dated a couple more times after that, including a "Christmas Play" at her church that never mentioned Christ, before I finally pulled the plug on the whole deal. For a while after, I received several strategically chosen verses of scripture via E-mail before she either gave up or found another convert.
Amazing. Huh... Guns Oops! Weapons as the Army taught me Doh! (guns are artillery pieces, weapons are firearms, Fred Von would know  Wink ) are things, inanimate objects. They do no harm. It is the human heart that controls what one's hands do. Even Christ did not speak out against them, except in the case of the disciple Peter, who in a fit of rage swung a sword at a priest's servant with intention of taking his head off, servant ducked and caught his ear instead!

John 18:10-11 MKJV wrote:Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant and cut off his right ear. And the servant's name was Malchus. Then Jesus said to Peter, "Put up your sword into the sheath. The cup which My Father has given Me, shall I not drink it?"
and
Luke 22:36-38 MKJV wrote:And He said to them, "But now, he who has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his wallet. And he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must yet be accomplished in Me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors; for the things concerning Me have an end." And they said, "Lord, behold, here are two swords." And He said to them, "It is enough."
All goes back to the heart. Popcorn
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:21 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Kim wrote:I should mention that she'd revealed herself to be an anti-gun zealot as well, and I replied that, "In Armageddon, a good rifle will be essentially the same thing as a shopping cart." We only dated a couple more times after that, including a "Christmas Play" at her church that never mentioned Christ, before I finally pulled the plug on the whole deal. For a while after, I received several strategically chosen verses of scripture via E-mail before she either gave up or found another convert.
Amazing. Huh... Guns Oops! Weapons as the Army taught me Doh! (guns are artillery pieces, weapons are firearms, Fred Von would know  Wink ) are things, inanimate objects. They do no harm. It is the human heart that controls what one's hands do. Even Christ did not speak out against them, except in the case of the disciple Peter, who in a fit of rage swung a sword at a priest's servant with intention of taking his head off, servant ducked and caught his ear instead!

John 18:10-11 MKJV wrote:Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest's servant and cut off his right ear. And the servant's name was Malchus. Then Jesus said to Peter, "Put up your sword into the sheath. The cup which My Father has given Me, shall I not drink it?"
and
Luke 22:36-38 MKJV wrote:And He said to them, "But now, he who has a purse, let him take it, and likewise his wallet. And he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must yet be accomplished in Me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors; for the things concerning Me have an end." And they said, "Lord, behold, here are two swords." And He said to them, "It is enough."
All goes back to the heart. Popcorn

Yeah, in all fairness, the bits of scripture that were aimed at me involved my comment about the "Christmas Play".

I didn't care for the rock concert presentations of the place, such as a floating video screen with a woman's high speed babble-rapping nonsense about "The Light", the grubby dress of the pastor and his son, and the disrespectful behavior and crazy dress of the young people.

Her response was that they had to allow that to draw people in.

Mine was something to the effect that by that standard, a meth lab and troupe of hookers would fill the place up every night.

The subject never came up again, 'til I started getting Bible Bits in my Email.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Off topic - Marlin/Glenfield - Page 2 Empty lots of Third rails in side a simple...there are real cool weapons to play with

Post  fredvon4 Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Kim brother I loved the story....I be happily married now 35 years.... first one was a problem

So as I wander through life and relationships I only get to over hear what you described....

For way too many years I was a VFW Officer and Wife was Commander...so basically ...by definition ...we were both all day long alcoholics
I have actually listened to some member shine on an obvious nut case just hoping to get laid a few more times before cutting the insanity loose on some other unsuspecting lonely old guy/Gal  ( I have seen these chat and date of nut case folks in either of three roles) Yes Virginia we have a large population of gender confused right here in Rural Texas

I like your very astute description of what some try to define as a CHURCH....worth repeating: "our local "Cult Churches" (vague references to God, Christ, or the Bible, but mostly focusing on raising money for itself)"...

I am in the center of Southern Baptiste churches and a few Episcopal and Catholic...

BUT in this Fort Hood region is CHOP (Christian House of Prayer) and they are very very large and absolutely as you describe above ---a Cult Church

Before I was 18 I lived in my family with Episcopal Dad and Roman Catholic mother...and They sent their children to parochial schools
The interesting* thing is moving all over the world later got me in trouble with the catholic Church

Taiwan was mix of Chinese Traditional, Buddhists, Hindu, Atheist Communists, and a pretty hard Line Catholic Missionary...Yes Virginia I was a Alter Boy on Taiwan as a 4th and 5th grad student

Iran before the SHAW was deposed or run off or what ever...pretty good mix of Islam, Catholic, and Jewish....again a young person perspective in a fairly large student body Missionary school...can not remember if Mary Knoll sisters or Jesuits sponsored the school

Santiago Chili mostly Atheists (communists) and Roman Catholic (Missionary)...A lot of the State Department kids I went to school with were devout and practicing Jews

So. Anyway, I was exposed to many different religions and church protocols, mantras, rules, dogma....and except for the atheists...God good...Devil bad was a common theme

Even Buddhist, Hindus, Muslims, Wickans, ...all have some acknowledgement of Good Vs Evil

factoid    According to some estimates, there are roughly 4,200 religions in the world

So how did this get my sophomore HS butt sideways with the Catholic Church

I was attending Saint Mary's College Prep* in Peralta Park Berkeley California and still not decided what life would bring ---but was being steered/directed to the Catholic Seminary to be the Priest my mother wanted.......  * an all boys school

Brother Timothy Edwards was the Principle and taught a weekly Religion class

In a Catholic Mass is a very long opening prayer and part of it has this declaration we all must proclaim

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.

In previous classes as early as 4th grad as a alter boy I had been instructed that the ONLY path to heave was through the Catholic Church
This notions was reinforce during my Catechism classes and almost every grades religious teaching by Nuns, Fathers, Bishops, and Cardinals

So Brother Timothy opens the floor to questions...I carefully ask....(after quoting the above passage in the prayer) and basically claiming every Catholic teacher has insisted the ONLY path to heaven was throught the Catholic Church.......
So Brother Timothy said yes that is correct

So I spent just a few telling Bro Tim that I was Army Brat world traveled and knew a little about many different religions....He was getting impatient with my long winded yadda yadda ...just like all of you that try to read my Crapolla....

He put his hand up and said...so whats your question?...and I said... 

So there are 4.5 billion* people on earth and 1.2 billion are Catholics
If the Battle for souls is between God and The Devil....by the Catholic church's mantra that ONLY PASSAGE to heaven is the Church...then ultimately Devil wins....

*this class was 1971
Bro Tim sent a note to my Mom...."perhaps Young Frederick is not suited for the Priest hood".... Dad returns from the Nam...sees the note and tells mother dear..."see I told you he was a heathen"...
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2