Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Crash proof 1/2A Stunt plane … ???
by GPW Today at 8:31 am

» Hey Bob! You related to this guy??
by rsv1cox Today at 7:59 am

» Scored Some Goodies!
by ticomareado Today at 7:32 am

» How to dissemble stubborn cylinder from thermal hopper crank case
by aungmyatoo Today at 5:06 am

» Cleaning Up Cox Plane
by NEW222 Yesterday at 11:10 pm

» Midwest Mini Warbird P-40
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» 1/2A size model-airplane wheels
by NEW222 Yesterday at 2:44 pm

» Laying off building planes for a while.
by fredvon4 Yesterday at 10:49 am

» Airbrush setup
by crankbndr Yesterday at 10:42 am

» Cox Gooney Bird/Lazy Bee
by getback Yesterday at 10:17 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2019
MauricioB's

"Tee Dee .010 r/c"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2019
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement Empty
World of Aviation

Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement

Go down

Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement Empty Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement

Post  Liquidice on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:55 pm

I recently bought one of these on eBay and while getting it up and running I found that the fuel tank plastic had become very brittle and both of the fuel line connections broke off.  I created a replacement by cutting down and soldering a Perfect #3 fuel tank and adding some brass sheet to the bottom to fit into the tank holder.  This was surprisingly easy to do and hopefully will help inspire anyone else who needs to replace their Skycopter tank.

Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement Img_2011
Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement Img_2010
Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement Img_2012
Liquidice
Liquidice
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement Empty Re: Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement

Post  NEW222 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Good job to keep it running! If this was mine, I would at least try fixing the original as well. I would get me a small piece of copper or aluminum tube teh size you need and drill the original holes to fit it snugly then use JB Weld or the like to hold the tubing in place. Just a thought if you wanted to try repairing it. Looking at the tank, I would go with aluminum as it would better match the original color as well as JB Weld is grey also.
NEW222
NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement Empty Re: Cox .020 Skycopter fuel tank replacement

Post  GallopingGhostler on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Good repair job, and the weight of the tank helps to counterbalance the engine's cylinder.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:08 am

Wow. Sorry, my bad on my previous post. I took a look again, and now see the fuel tank location. Originally I thought it was below the engine, the silver colored piece below it. Please disregard what I had said earlier. I think I gotta study pictures better before opening my mouth......
NEW222
NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Liquidice on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:46 am

I can see how that grey part could be mistaken for the tank. Unfortunately the original tank is beyond repair, that was my original plan but when I tried drilling out the holes for tubing I found that the plastic was very brittle throughout.

I'm not all that concerned about keeping the originality of this one I tact because I plan to fly it as often as I can. Just need to hope that nothing else breaks or that it flies away and gets lost. I do have another one that just needs cleaned up a bit and that will be my collection piece.
Liquidice
Liquidice
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:30 am

Nice looking repair , one of those tanks may not bee that hard to find ( most people take the engine off and use the .020 engine )) Small Cox Logo I have an engine tank in very good shape round here somewhere lol .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:06 am

That is a very good handmade replacement tank. Great idea I may have to use in the future. I have a small handfull of the 020 SkyCopter engines, most without the tanks. I did purchase a NIP tank from Cox International when Bernie came upon a stash of cox parts. Somewhere I read that the earlier SkyCopter came with a metal tank, but have never seen one. Here’s one one eBay that is priced higehr than gold.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-7148-Sky-Copter-Plastic-Gas-Fuel-Tank-for-Gas-Powered-Helicopter-7148/362454261080?epid=2295711409&hash=item5463f51d58:g:43wAAOSwaG1bvUFi🇸🇨USPSFirstClass!49544!US!-1

I don’t think I’d pay that much for a small plastic tank, just to watch it fly away on a newly refurbished SkyCopter!!  
Marleysky
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:56 am

I never seen a Skycopter with a metal tank. I owned them since they were first introduced. I'm not saying it's not possible. One thing is for certain is that the Ebay seller is obviously not in tune to what people are willing to offer or pay. The nipples broke off of those tanks when they were new and I can only imagine it's even more brittle 40 years later. The stock tanks actually had too much fuel in them which caused more than 6 of mine to go bye bye. The Perfect tank on there now certainly appears to be larger not to mention you can't see the fuel level prior to launching. A lean run of 30 seconds can put that thing into orbit.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:36 pm

That's a nice job on the replacement tank. I've never seen one of these fly. What happens when they run out of fuel? Do they autorotate and come back down slowly, or just drop out of the sky?
Could a fishing line or kite string tether be used on them to keep from losing them?
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Having played with model rocketry, I'd think that on a very calm day, with a set of binoculars, once out of fuel, the blade pitch changes, they fall in auto-rotation fast enough that one could get it without it going OOS (out-of-sight).

Back in high school in the early 1970's, I had an Estes rocket called "Gyroc". It had flaps on the ends of its tail fins that were kept straight by the engine in place. Once ejection charge popped the engine out, the flaps would deploy, rocket would helicopter back to earth nose first.

It worked fine with the smaller rocket engines up to "B" size. Then I made the mistake of putting a C-6-7 engine into it. Take off impulse was so strong, it stripped one set of fins off during take off blast. It didn't helicopter recover. It sort of flit on the way down, hitting the ground hard enough to buckle the body tube.
Thus ended my beautiful Gyroc. Doh! Embarassed Crying or Very sad Mad Otherwise, I Love This Forum!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down