Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What Cox engine is this? Cox_ba12

What Cox engine is this? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What Cox engine is this? Empty
Live on Patrol

What Cox engine is this?

Go down

What Cox engine is this? Empty What Cox engine is this?

Post  commando*72 Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:07 am

I bought this engine from a fellow who said it is a Cox QRC, but I have never seen a QRC with a red tank, red crankcase, and red spinner. The glow head has only two lower cooling fins, and is knurled around the center crown, like the late model high-performance head on the Killer Bee and Venom engines.

Can someone help me put a reliable name on this engine? Is it a QRC? Suggestions appreciated.

What Cox engine is this? T11403665-65-thumb-IMG_5170What Cox engine is this? T11403667-20-thumb-IMG_5171What Cox engine is this? A11403695-19-IMG_5173
commando*72
commando*72

Back to top Go down

What Cox engine is this? Empty Re: What Cox engine is this?

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:05 pm

QRC comes with red fuel tank, at least I know. However I didn't see a QRC with a red crankcase.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 pm

It’s not a QRC which would have had a throttle muffler, bare crankcase and a blue spinner.

My guess it’s just an engine made up of different parts. Still a nice engine.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:20 pm

First:
Q = Quiet
RC = Throttle of some sort

Your engine has neither

What you have is a cool . 049 that needs some further investigation

Not from Matt or Bernie...because it has a metal back plate

But the red Crank case and tank are probably from Matt or Bernie

To know is just a cool looking typical Bee or a hot rod

Cylinder porting, looks like High Compression head
Back plate venturi opening size I think (and will be corrected if I am wrong) the standard bee has .063 hole and hot rods have something bigger with diminishing returns above .082

Here are all the current specialty Cox International Bernie Creations with serial numbers...I collect #55 for my birth year

The was an all Red one called the .049 Xtreme

What Cox engine is this? Cox_in10
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:53 pm

I don't recall any QRC's with a red crankcase, although they may have existed. The QRC did not come with throttle. "Q" was for quiet, it was only muffled, but the factory retail engine did not have throttle. First retail throttled reedie was the R/C Bee in 1976, but 3rd party unmuffled rotating throttle sleeves were available in the early 1970's through outfits like Ace R/C. Some used these to retrofit engines for RC throttle use.

It was intended for those who needed a muffled engine some 40 years ago, when most RC proportional flying was done on 2 channels. Radio flight packs were heavier then, except for special mini systems like Cannon that were more expensive, beyond an entry level RC hobbyist's budget. Thus, much flying was done unthrottled. The Airtronics Q-Tee and S-Tee by Lee Renaud are such kits available back then to make use of the QRC.

Being unthrottled saved the weight of another servo and lessened current drain allowing use of a smaller and lighter nominal 4 cell 250 mAH nicad pack.

There wasn't much difference speed wise under power or in power off glide of a half-A plane with a roughly 36" wingspan powered by a .049 Golden Bee or Babe Bee reedie. Integral tank gave a couple minutes flight, so throttle was a luxury.

Our newer and lighter radio systems and smaller more powerful servos have made throttle more practical.

Following is from Wikipedia: Cox model engine

Wikipedia wrote:o 1966 QZ (Cat#450 - manufactured 1966-1996)

QZ stands for Quiet Zone. It is a Babe Bee with a muffler, twin bypass port cylinder with no sub piston induction and a high compression (#1702) glow head. An attempt to regain the power loss caused by the muffler. Very similar to the later QRC engine which reportedly worked better. Cox also sold the muffler, cylinder and high comp. glow head components of the QZ as a Muffler Conversion Kit (Cat#495) for $2.98.

o 1976 QRC (Cat#450-1 - manufactured 1976-1996)

The QRC was a modified Babe Bee engine that had a muffler and larger (8cc) fuel tank. In the 1970s noise became an issue and the Cox engineers discovered that when adding a muffler the engine would lose significant power. This problem was alleviated by installing a cylinder with no sub piston induction.[14] The engine was designed for power launching Radio Controlled Gliders and had a red tank with a blue spinner.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:17 pm

The real QRC would have just had a muffler. No R/C control just was referred to as Quiet RC for 2 channel flight.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:54 pm

commando*72, seems that you may have a reasonably high performance engine. For one, it comes with the higher compression Tee Dee head. Check to see if you have SPI (sub-port injection), there will be a gap between the piston skirt and bottom edge of the cylinder exhaust port when piston is at top dead center. Look into the sides of the exhaust ports under a good light. If it has dual bypass ports visible on each side with the piston down and SPI, then I'd say it probably has at least the higher performance of a Black Widow.

If it has no SPI and dual ports, then you have performance equivalent to the QZ and QRC. It will still have higher performance than the earlier stock Babe Bee engines.

You may have a custom high performance engine on your hands that is not an original Cox factory product engine. It certainly has a very nice anodized finish. If color is reasonably true in the photographs, appears to be a slightly different shade than Cox anodizing.

Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's, I flew a Sterling 36" span Minnie Mambo Cabin powered by an RC Bee engine, which was basically a throttled QRC (QRC was unthrottled) with cast crankcase, larger capacity tank and internal clunk for aerobatics. It was a good engine, more powerful than a Babe Bee.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:01 pm

I have been emailing Don. The engine has a HD crank and a #4 cylinder. The only thing to change is to get a non vented black widow back plate for true stunt performance .
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:15 pm

Looks like a hot little engine.

Anodizing looks good, the exhaust ports looks to be carefully positioned, zero drag driveplate (with thrust washer?). For some reason this engine reminds me of something offered by Leo Squiers (Stoneway Group), the site is no longer up and I don't think I have many pictures saved of his work.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:33 pm

Jason_WI wrote:I have been emailing Don. The engine has a HD crank and a #4 cylinder. The only thing to change is to get a non vented black widow back plate for true stunt performance .

yep, it has all the good stuff, verify the tank is the larger diameter (black widow) air tube, replace the back-plate, check the ball socket
and you're good to go!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

What Cox engine is this? Empty I was looking for something else and ran across this article

Post  Jenuine Motor Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Anyhow, I found this question entertaining as I work on Cox engines Most day's being retired. And have done so for what seem like a long time.
Anyhow, I would suspect that the owner, as the engine looks to be in very nice condition, possibly changed out to one of the red crankcases, that were anodized, other than done by Cox.
I checked them out as I do My own Anodizing, and it was basically a tumbler then into the anodixing tank. As I am not able to to really "See" The engine, I am unable to know for sure.
Ass this has a nice 1702 Glow head, that I hope is good. So who You got this engine from or the person right before New What He Was doing, down to the red spinner that are available today,
are came on a couple different model's. I would get a good debuild kit and check out the inside, and the cylinder.Overall a Nice Engine.
Jim "P"

Jenuine Motor
Jenuine Motor
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gliderpilot Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:15 pm

looks like the tank has been anodizes maybe? i cold be wrong
commando*72 wrote:I bought this engine from a fellow who said it is a Cox QRC, but I have never seen a QRC with a red tank, red crankcase, and red spinner. The glow head has only two lower cooling fins, and is knurled around the center crown, like the late model high-performance head on the Killer Bee and Venom engines.

Can someone help me put a reliable name on this engine? Is it a QRC? Suggestions appreciated.

What Cox engine is this? T11403665-65-thumb-IMG_5170What Cox engine is this? T11403667-20-thumb-IMG_5171What Cox engine is this? A11403695-19-IMG_5173
gliderpilot
gliderpilot

https://microbirds.com/rc-gliders/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:26 pm

Some folks mix parts, QRC tank and Venom case.

What Cox engine is this? 4c185612
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:24 pm

Yes, I have done my share of custom Cox engines:

Like this "Apple Bee" engine I custom built: (Red Apple tank / Golden delicious crankcase)
HD crank, 5cc tank, throttle ring, no SPI cylinder/piston, Nitrile coated starter spring, anodized parts from our good suppliers.
What Cox engine is this? Apple-13

And another custom-built engine (Black Widow version):
Witha Kustom Kraftsmanship needle valve and back plate, Kustom Kraftsmanship timing shim between the crankcase and the cylinder (brass shim). And as usual anodized parts from our good parts suppliers.
What Cox engine is this? Black_13

And I have not included all of the Kustom Kraftsmanship engines that I have purchased years ago that they customized.

Last edited by sosam117 on Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Color of Apple Bee)
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:00 am

Hey Mike That tank on the BW looks to bee a Matt finish ? You get that from suppliers , i remember seeing it before but not the info .
4th of July Flag Fireworks Fireworks
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:16 pm

getback wrote:Hey Mike That tank on the BW looks to bee a Matt finish ? You get that from suppliers , i remember seeing it before but not the info .

Yes, I got the black anodized tank from EX Model Engines Matt.

Here is a photo from Matt's website of the tank (unfortunately out of stock).
What Cox engine is this? Stunt_10

I had to do a little work on the anodizing removal to make the BW run.
The "rough" anodizing where the reed seals was not sealing too well.
So, I used 800 grit sandpaper and removed it where the reed seals.

No more problems with the engine run now.

Photo below shows the anodized surface to be removed.
I used a piece of glass for a flat/straight table to lay the 800-grit paper on.
Then carefully sanded the black anodizing off the sealing face of the tank (where the reed seals -- on the center hole).
What Cox engine is this? Dsc_0510
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:00 pm

Hello, here are the photos of my Cox QRC .049.
I never used this engine, I love its colors and its history, so for now I just enjoy seeing it in its purest form.
I know, someday someone might do it for me, or maybe I'll start it myself!!

What Cox engine is this? 20220710
What Cox engine is this? 20220711
What Cox engine is this? 20220712
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:53 am

Thanks Mike , I like it and wish he would have more done , even with alittle work to finish it to run . Nice looking QRC Mauricio Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sosam117 Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:46 am

getback wrote:Thanks Mike , I like it and wish he would have more done , even with  alittle work to finish it to run . Nice looking QRC Mauricio Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo

I like the rougher finish. I think they would look even better on the cast crankcases?
With the rougher look on the tank and the cast crankcases they would look really antique looking?
Making it look like the tanks were cast steel mounted on a cast crankcase?

Like to see what the other colors (red, blue, yellow, green, etc.) in the rough finish would look like?

Mike Mac
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:34 am

commando*72 wrote:I bought this engine from a fellow who said it is a Cox QRC, but I have never seen a QRC with a red tank, red crankcase, and red spinner. The glow head has only two lower cooling fins, and is knurled around the center crown, like the late model high-performance head on the Killer Bee and Venom engines.

no qrc this is a Venom engine the real deal look for number 7 on the cylinder plus this cylinder has two bypas plus two boost port large exaust just like the kiler bee plus the back plate ventury mutch larger like the black widow it must have a berilium coper reed valve super thin valve and no screen mesh filter for max rpm this is a performance engines just mising its original head Fireworks Thumbs Up Congratulations you have found a treasure in the chess Hand Shake
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:58 am

I learn that there are 3 ways of anodizing aluminum. First one use chromic acid, second one use sulphuric acid and third one is also use sulphuric acid but in different temperature and amperes. Third one is called as hard anodizing and thicker and porous surface.

https://www.silcotek.com/semi-coating-blog/tips-on-coating-and-preventing-anodized-aluminum-contamination

What Cox engine is this? Scree107
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:06 pm

sosam117 wrote:
getback wrote:Hey Mike That tank on the BW looks to bee a Matt finish ? You get that from suppliers , i remember seeing it before but not the info .

Yes, I got the black anodized tank from EX Model Engines Matt.

Here is a photo from Matt's website of the tank (unfortunately out of stock).
What Cox engine is this? Stunt_10

I had to do a little work on the anodizing removal to make the BW run.
The "rough" anodizing where the reed seals was not sealing too well.
So, I used 800 grit sandpaper and removed it where the reed seals.

No more problems with the engine run now.

Photo below shows the anodized surface to be removed.
I used a piece of glass for a flat/straight table to lay the 800-grit paper on.
Then carefully sanded the black anodizing off the sealing face of the tank (where the reed seals -- on the center hole).
What Cox engine is this? Dsc_0510
this anodisation look ruf I prefer to do it thinner semi translucent fredvon4 Good link I will read carefully memorize as much as possible I Love This Forum! cheers
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down