Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Cox_ba12

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Empty Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Bought here from a thread started by Georush after it did not sell on ebay.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Pinto_10

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Merc_p11

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Merc_p12

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Two_ri21

It's missing a front wheel. 1 3/4", I might have one but they are available on ebay, but I need a pair to match unless anyone has a spare Vega/Pinto Funny car wheel laying around..... Also missing the fuel tank. Sits next to the LR tire in a small space. Intentionally tiny I would guess because these are not intended to run but a few seconds. I might have to make one.

Colorful little beggar once you remove all the factory/PO applied plating and paint. Think I will leave it that way.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Cox_pi11

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Cox_pi10

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Cox_pi12

Re-glued a few broken pieces, overhauled the engine - new seals, valve guides, pistons, and bearings, did the blower too. Ought to qual out in the low zeros.

I know nothing about how these work. I have the manual coming. Interesting, something happens and the chute deploys pulling on a plate with a groove that the throttle arm fits into cutting the engine I would think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Two_ri22

I still have to deal with that front axle and wheel.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Empty Re: Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy

Post  Admin Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:49 pm

Very cool! It's in the right hands, I have no doubt you'll have that car up and running once again.

You can find the parts diagram and list in the 1973, 1974, and 1976 parts catalogs available here on the forum.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Empty Re: Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:51 pm

I am pretty sure when he originally posted it he said he had found the wheel and it will go with the sale.

You might want to ask him about it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I am pretty sure when he originally posted it he said he had found the wheel and it will go with the sale.

You might want to ask him about it.

Yeah you're right, it sounds like he found the wheel to it. https://www.coxengineforum.com/t12273-cox-pinto-funny-car-for-sale

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks Jacob for the diagrams. I had looked there for a manual for the Pinto but did not find one. Once I receive the manual I will upload it along with the manual for the Cox Mercedes W-196.

Yeah, promises. I have bugged the seller several times about that wheel and he insists he will send it if he can find it. I hope so, but the axle is broken too and the frame shows evidence of it being reattached by some unsuccessful heat method. Not holding out any hope. I will probably have to make a new one.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:49 pm

If you had more of the axle you could have just used an aluminum sleeve to re-attach the wheel.

You may have to use landing gear hardened wire bent to shape. The wheel is going to be tricky, only an original will look right, but maybe a couple spoked wire wheels would work.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:If you had more of the axle you could have just used an aluminum sleeve to re-attach the wheel.

You may have to use landing gear hardened wire bent to shape. The wheel is going to be tricky, only an original will look right, but maybe a couple spoked wire wheels would work.

Ron

Whats on ebay now.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Wheels10

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Wheel_10

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Wheel_11

If I can nail down the wheels, I can build an axle.

These are up for bids now on ebay. $46 with 2 bids. That's more than I paid for the whole car. Were it in better condition I would consider.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Cox_fc10

I printed out the parts diagram Jacob.

Thanks
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:17 pm

Wow. That sure is a colorful little bugger. By the pictures you posted, it looks like a small puzzle with all the little pieces. It looks good. So, if it is a drag car, how does one ensure that it truly runs a straight line, and also how does one know how much fuel to use so you can actually get a hold of it after the run, and it doesn't run for a 1/4 mile? Shocked
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:03 pm

I'm pretty sure that it runs along a straight guide string. When it reaches the end there is some mechanism which cuts the engine.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:58 am

Yes, there are guide holes built into the chassis.  Run a long string or just let 'er rip.  

Small tank so it won't run long.  I'm still trying to figure out what deploys the chute.  Engine throttle is pretty easy to figure, but something has to push that metal piece back and hit the chutes case for the chute to come out and cut the engine. But the metal slide has to perform both functions.

Manual here next week will provide answers.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:17 am

I have had the Eliminator and still currently own the Stinger. Theoretically, they travel a straight line but they wander all over. It's quite difficult to get the string absolutely tight. While the tank is small, they tend to run longer than needed. We just pile up towels and sponges at the fixed end and it hits the pin and sits their doing a burn out until you get to it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:42 am

Guides:

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Cox_pi13

Slide. Something has to hit it and knock it back cutting the throttle and deploying the chute. Large flange on rear hits the chute. Maybe front end contacts something that starts the process??

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Cox_pi14

Someones attempt to fix the front wheel/axle.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Cox_pi16

Complete except for the fuel tank and wheel.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Cox_pi15

Thinking about cutting this one down to fit and re solder.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Cox_pi17

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:45 am

I thought the string had a plastic device on it that contacts the slide at the end of the run
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I thought the string had a plastic device on it that contacts the slide at the end of the run

That's a good thought Ron.

It would have to be conical, small end forward to center/slip past the guides and contact the smaller slot in the metal slide pushing the whole slide backwards deploying the chute and cutting the throttle. I would place it about half - three quarters way down so the chute would have time to slow the thing down before the end of the run.

The motor would go from full throttle to idle and the chute would deploy if the slide was positioned correctly.

Seems more fun that a circle tether car would provide. I gotta try it. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:56 pm

Thanks for teh underbody pictures. It makes more sense now that I saw the 'guides' on teh underbody for the string. Should be a neat little thing to run.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:02 pm

NEW222 wrote:Thanks for teh underbody pictures. It makes more sense now that I saw the 'guides' on teh underbody for the string. Should be a neat little thing to run.

Yes but now I'm thinking.

That stop would have to be set at just enough tension to operate the slide but not stop the car. Otherwise it would come to a sudden stop with no need to cut the throttle or deploy the chute.

Has to be something s i m p l e.........
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:03 pm

And it was simple...at the end of the line the string was set into a Y going to two different nails in the asphalt...If I recall the string run was 35 feet...at the end 5 feet of Y separated by 5 feet....when the car got the the Y...there was enough drag to trip the chute but NoT stop the car for another few feet but the Y did eventually stop the car...now idling

Shirley some one has the instructions and diagram for the drag strip lay out
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Here's the dragster page of Supplementary Instructions for Planes, Free Running Cars and Dragsters. I plan to scan the full manual and have it uploaded soon. My scanner is skewing images, I see the carriage (part that scans the document) is no longer square. Maybe you can see the skewing in the scan below, I have a couple more (old) scanners I'm setting up.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Page_810

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks guys.....

Ok, this is getting good. All tied up in higher math - geometry, trigonometry, quantum mechanics.

The knots locate the tripping bead which passes through the guides and because the slide is at a falling away angle releases the bead and allows the Pinto to continue forward while the slide impacts the throttle and chute. Then the Y stops the Pinto.

Brilliant as the Brits would say.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Pinto_11

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Pinto_12

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:16 am

Alright Bob looking good ck this out ( no Vega vid to bee found )   ANd this corvette is kicking butt ..   Devil   I think these car runs are going to bee cool been working on the Prop Rod some .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:57 pm

The Stinger is only a single ported Bee cylinder, when you put a dual port on it, the car really goes.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks Eric, straight lines and circles. Looks like fun.

Let's see how that prop rod is looking. I get lonesome posting this stuff. Smile

Picture of the fuel tank I'm missing. Tiny thing. I tried modifying that perfect wedge pictured above, not working.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Cox_pi22
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Do you have a picture of the original? May be able to make a tin version if the shape and dimensions were known.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:17 am

NEW222 wrote:Do you have a picture of the original? May be able to make a tin version if the shape and dimensions were known.

Wish I did have a picture of one outside the car. I sent Jason the inside dimensions (1" H, 1" L, 1/4" W) of the space for it, maybe he can come up with something.

I may be able to adapt this Perfect wedge tank to fit, but it would probably be easier to build one from scratch. Thought about a Cox Helicopter tank too, but it's way to large.

Cox Pinto Funny Car - Almost to easy Pinto_13
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:05 am

Bob, Maybe Roddie has just what you need to make a skinny little tank, if you want to solder one together.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10719-brass-fuel-tank-parts#135129

Put two together face to face, with tubes for fuel nipples. My2cents
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next