Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world Cox_ba12

New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by Kim Today at 3:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world Empty
Live on Patrol

New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world

Go down

New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world Empty New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Not liking this a bit.

Old reliable finally gave up the ghost. 12 year old HP something or other running Vista which is no longer supported by Internet Explorer and barely supported by Firefox is kaput. It locked up several times over the past few days requiring multiple restarts and a few kicks in the butt to regain life.
I had bought this new HP wonder running Edge several months ago expecting it's demise.

My vast picture library probably is gone with the old computer so everyone gets a picture reprieve. To bad as I had a bunch of goodies to paste here. Enjoy faster downloads for awhile. Smile

Jus so ya No...….

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world Empty Re: New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world

Post  Kim Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Yo Bob!

A computer person may be able to recover your photo files to an external hard-drive !!!

Bin-dare-done-dat Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world Empty Re: New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Bob.....used to build custom computers from 1987 to 1995 for friends n family.......got tired of being (unpaid 2 AM) help desk
I used to buy DELL new from 2001 to 2007
Then I found these guys (local Austin TX company) .....online is typical----frustrating becaus you and I do not really know what we want...just what we need)....BUT...every salesman you CALL is very motivated to listen to you, your needs, will recommend the correct upgrades and will very fast send you a custom configured refurbished computer.... when I decide to upgrade I just pitch the el cheapo unit in the trash with a well smashed hard drive....

My last three laptops (chasing faster and faster) have all been under $250........thunk on that a second

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:07 pm

New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world Cox_m178

Danger alert, I have learned to download pictures from my old style sim card Olympus 3000 camera.

Engine look familiar Fred?

Thanks Kim and Fred....
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:03 am

Kim wrote:Yo Bob!

A computer person may be able to recover your photo files to an external hard-drive !!!

Bin-dare-done-dat Kim

Yeah, it would be simple if the problem is in the motherboard or something and the hard drive itself is still ok. Then it would be just a matter of pulling the old hard drive out and plugging it in another computer, and then transferring the images and other flies to the new one. But if the old hard drive is the problem, then it is more complicated. Probably doable but requires a bit of wizardry and might get costly.

Good luck with the new computer Bob!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:39 am

Glad you upgraded that old realick , i am still trying to figure out some the crap on windows 10 lol! I have a transfer set up for getting ur old stuff off the other hard drive (if it still runs )? You can borrow it if you ask . sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:25 pm

getback wrote:Glad you upgraded that old realick , i am still trying to figure out some the crap on windows 10 lol! I have a transfer set up for getting ur old stuff off the other hard drive (if it still runs )? You can borrow it if you ask . sunny

Thanks Eric, My son is something of a computer whiz, if it's possible to get anything out of it he will.

But it's dead dead dead. I can't even coax it back to life giving it everything that I have except mouth to mouth.

I have figured this one out, but it's not as fast as my old computer.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:53 am

Your welcome ,Thats cool i remember now that you had said ur son works on computers also . Don't make since the new one is slower than the old ??
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:30 am

getback wrote:Your welcome ,Thats cool i remember now that you had said ur son works on computers also . Don't make since the new one is slower than the old ??

I had dumped all my old pictures onto a memory stick and uploaded them yesterday to this computer. Something like 22K pictures. But only through 2016 when I put them on the stick and never saved anymore from that date forward.

Gone are all my old email addresses too including a bunch of the members here. Picture software on this computer does not include a "recently imported" feature either which I used all the time.

Mark has been urging me for some time to dump the old computer so he has little interest in it. Might have to get the "Geek squad" to look at it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Forgetful John Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:33 am

I hate it when that happens.
Forgetful John
Forgetful John
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:57 pm

Bob,
First of all, I'd bet all of your stuff is just fine on the hard drive in that old slag heap.

But, if you take pictures with your Android phone, then all of your photos since your first ever smart phone are backed up on Google's photo cloud. The app is likely on your phone somewhere, but the files are accessible on the PC at:
https://photos.google.com/

Log into that website with your Gmail address and password(as an Android user, you have one even if you don't know it). It will have every picture you ever shot since you first began using Android. Apple probably has the same type thing. It will simplify things if you stay logged into your PC's Chrome browser so you can just click on this icon shown below on the Google home page:
New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world Google%20Photos

Log into Google and it will be your best friend. It will look out for your phone contacts and data too... See the "Drive" icon above the Photo Icon... there's your priceless phone stuff. You can use the same password to log into GMail, Google, Chrome, YouTube, all that stuff.

Now, why don't you get a 2 or 5 Terabyte drive and a free copy of backup software and run a full image of your system twice a week on a schedule. The drive may come with a program for that, but I prefer the free Macrium Reflect software. I've blown my whole machine, and within an hour or so, restored it like magic.

First of all, I'd bet all of your stuff is just fine on the hard drive in that old slag heap.

I hope that helps.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Forgetful John wrote:I hate it when that happens.
lol! Considering the source, I bet you do, Lol.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:43 am

Thanks Rusty, but I am old school and computer illiterate by choice.

My phone is flip ($100 per year) and gets little to no use, my camera is from the dark ages and serves me well.  The gizmo in the picture allows me to import pictures into the new computer from the old style SIM card.

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19152833/4587]New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world P1010015[/url

I was able to restore most of my picture history but what I have lost is most relevant to the forum, 2016 to date.  Through some miracle of Bill Gates I did find all my old email addresses but I did lose all of my documents and correspondence on Microsoft word.  Most damaging is losing all my firearms data and my model engine inventory documenting purchase date, model, displacement, seller, cost, type (CL/RC), and special features. Runs 6 pages.

But yes, probably the hard drive is still intact and useable.  But I'm thinking if cost effective I may just have it repaired.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:00 pm

Lol, Bob, I get it, and I understand. That very same LG phone was one of my favorites ever. It made me feel like Cap'n Kirk when I flipped it open. I still have it if you want a spare.

I do have another recommendation. Buy an inexpensive drive enclosure. It's a box you put the old drive in and plug into any USB port on a new computer, You then can drag or copy files out of it, and it gives you some extra external storage for whatever you want. The Geeks or your Son can find one that fits the old drive's sockets. The old computer is only trouble and grief waiting to happen.
Good luck,
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:40 pm

Sorry for the loss of you important to you stuff. I know it is bad as I had the same many years ago. I too, as recommended above, have since invested in a portable HD and back up usually monthly. I am no longer worried. I also bought the extended 3 year warranty which would include a full recovery of the portable HD should it kick the bucket. My 3 year warranty is just about up, so to be safe for cheap insurance, I will be buying another new one with warranty for the next 3 years. Best of luck getting your files and such recovered, and I am sure it will be done successfully.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:02 am

Thanks guys,

Excuse my present mistakes, uncropped pictures stuck in the middle of text and other things until I get this new software figured out.  Painful with my shaky fingers and new more sensitive keyboard.  I tend to drag my dddddddd's with my pinky finger.  Takes me forever to correct my stuff.

I had a lot of trouble with the 12 year old HP even before it finally quit.  But my 20+ year old NEC still works archiving documents, old mail, and pictures.  

I had a lot of fun cleaning up that Wen Mac AT-6 Texan, complete except for the tail wheel.  Canopy is uncrazed and clear, must have been stored inside away from the sun.  Boiled the engine and repaired the cracked cowl with red tube Testor's cured for 24 hours.  

My cure for preventing heat damage to wooden and plastic props on stuck engines after coming out of the boil pot.  

New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world P1010034

New computer, being dragged kicking and screaming into a brave new world P1010033

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Well now isn't that genius! Very good and neat idea.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:24 am

NEW222 wrote:Well now isn't that genius! Very good and neat idea.

Works with a heat gun too allowing movement before the castor goo congeals again.  Just remember to insulate both engine and crank.  

I like getting a just little movement on clean but locked engines, then spraying Remoil down the intake and some around the exhaust ports then carefully rotating the crank back and forth until it's free enough for full rotation.   Remoil provides needed lubrication on those critical mating surfaces especially after an anti-freeze bath.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down