Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OK powered Dakota - Page 2 Cox_ba12

OK powered Dakota - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Stealth SB-X
by Admin Today at 8:28 pm

» ST .35 STUNT / VOODOO / ZERO POINT ZERO NITRO
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:45 pm

» SUPERTIGER .15 PROJECT
by TD ABUSER Today at 7:42 pm

» For sale -- Cox Custom Carburetors for Tee Dee engines
by sosam117 Today at 5:23 pm

» WHERE ARE YOU BUYING YOUR FUEL AND GLOW PLUGS...?
by TD ABUSER Today at 4:35 pm

» Waiting for Engines from Ken Enya
by sosam117 Today at 4:33 pm

» Unusual Cox 049 cylinder - Need help identifying
by anm2 Today at 4:12 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Today at 2:57 pm

» What's the Best Reed for Cox Reed Valve Engines.
by roddie Today at 1:37 pm

» Fuel choice
by 1975 control line guy Yesterday at 4:01 pm

» "Fall S.M.A.L.L." Video 3.
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:37 pm

» Gifted Fox
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
August-2024
balogh's

"Cox TD09 R/C Beast of Burden featuring Kamtechnik head and DIY metallic fuel nipple"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OK powered Dakota - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

OK powered Dakota

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OK powered Dakota - Page 2 Empty Re: OK powered Dakota

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:02 pm

Don't you just hate it when you make a plane fly too good? That thing just sounds like it was happy up there and didn't want to quit flying like you planned.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:17 pm

I certainly empathize with you -- I had several flyaways.

We lived in a farming community and farmed ourselves. While I was aware of dethermalizers and snuffer tubes, my father was 100% opposed to me putting anything into the air that was "on fire" and rightfully so since dry beans or corn, if ignited, could destroy a family's annual income. A couple of times the neighbors (who were aware of my modeling mania) found my planes while shelling corn or cutting beans and returned the plane. However, after a summer and fall in the field, they were pretty much ruined. I suspect at least a couple went through the combine without them knowing.

I also lost a couple that went down on our farm, but despite walking acres where I "thought" it was, they were sacrificed to the soy bean gods.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:07 pm

Ken Cook wrote:               Today, the flight gods took my Dakota from me. Everyone insisted I switch to the Cox 6x3 black prop. I did but I wasn't happy using it. It's heavier thus it needed to be leaned out just a tad more. Well in 5 seconds it put my Dakota every bit of 200' or better high. Usually it would still be in a upward attitude when the fuel would quit, then it would spiral back to the ground. Today it hooked up and flew out level, I just couldn't believe it, I had a real pit in my gut when I saw it level off. I figured at this point it would begin it's consistent spiral. It just flew away. There was no retrieving it as it flew into a wooded area with no access. I have to say I was pretty upset by it. At least I can enjoy the pictures here. Ken

Ohhh Ken, I'm so sorry, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the model, I feel that as a great loss ... but there is a possibility ...
.... look, I have flown radio control for many years and I have enough experience, however recently I lost two beautiful models, they crashed for the loss of signal from the RX (receivers), although I went to look and there were my planes , they were very broken that it hurts to still remember them and see their expanded pieces ... I did lose them ... but you Ken, you didn't lose it, it's there somewhere and I'm sure you'll meet him again ... I'm Surely you will join that beautiful model again, because there it is! ... it's a matter of time. Eyebrows Eyebrows Hug!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:46 pm

Sorry to hear Ken. This is the number one reason I had never tried free flight. The fear of not only losing the hard work of the model, but also teh jewel of the engine that is attached. Hopefully one day you will be able to recover it.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:22 am

Been there done that Ken..I admit I dropped already many tears in situations like that..the feeling of not being able to do anything to collect your baby just sitting there somewhere waiting for you is terrible. My sympathies. Crying or Very sad
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:14 am

DAMMIT! Man , That gut feeling .. what do you mean the woods are unassessable ??           OK powered Dakota - Page 2 Rescue13
         OK powered Dakota - Page 2 Kens_f10                        Beautiful Plane !!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:48 am

I didn't talk too much on the ride home. My son and I were pretty quiet, we were eating dinner and he said man that thing couldn't of flown any straighter. I just still can't figure out why, I have a trim tab on the rudder and all I can think of is that maybe it got bumped straight somehow. My first run on the ground just to clear it out was consuming fuel so quickly, I was concerned I wouldn't have enough time to launch. When I just leaned it up a click or two, it was doing much better on fuel and I waited until the fuel was truly at the bottom of the eye dropper. I would say there was 1/8" of fuel in it. The engine was a .049 B as mentioned, it was given to me by a now deceased club member. I think that's what bothers me the most. I know they're readily available , it's just not the same as that one. Well, I guess it's back to the building table, I believe BMJR makes one with radio compatibility, even if it's rudder only, I think I will opt for it. As the first one, I liked the Cub .049, it started very easily and did the job as required.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:48 am

Sorry to Hear This. It was a Good Looking Little Airplane
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:46 am

Firstly, my commiserations. This is definitely a gut wrenching experience watching a fly away and especially such a smart looking model.

We could all guess at the reason when this has flown so well as trimmed before but most of us have experienced this and unless you can recover it you can’t find the reason.

I have a couple of rc park flyers that I have to trim almost every flight. On further examination, one of them changes when I change the battery and refit the wing with the rubber bands. I am sure that the wing doesn’t always sit exactly in the same place.

The other on is temperature driven - as the temperature warms up during the early morning I think everything moves a little.

RC rudder control will make trimming easier but will add some weight. The next thing you will turn into a fully fledged stick twiddler!

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:54 am

As Bad as this is , I did see one good statement and that was " My Son And I " So That part is Nice
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:05 pm

Sorry to hear that Ken, I'm somewhat of a sentimentalist myself some of my most prized possessions are probably worthless to others but priceless to me because of the memories attached to them from people who are no longer here. TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:17 pm

My BMJR Dakota (single port horseshoe Cox powered w/ eyedropper tank) racked up about 50 flights in a friend's cow pasture. Then one day it got snatched by some fast breeze aloft and wound up spending the night on its backside in the city water reservoir. We snuck in a canoe and made an unauthorized voyage the next day to recover her in a little finger of the lake. I popped a hole on bottom of fuselage and dried her out and dismounted engine for complete teardown. It's been hanging on my wall ever since. (8 yrs ??)
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:00 pm

Ken , do you know anyone with a drone with first person view that could fly over where you lost the Dakota ?
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:22 pm

Unfortunately, I don't. In addition, there's no drone flying at all from the location I was flying at. So, I've come to accept it's gone and I want to purchase another kit and make another. I too contacted Ted at OK Engines. I have a few .049's in need of parts, he just told me to make a list and get it to him. Thanks for that heads up. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:35 pm

Some of you may be familiar with this lost plane finder...connect it between the RX and a servo and will buzz if the servo remains inactivated for a few seconds..good only for RC planes though
..generates high pitch sound and helps find stray planes in bush or deep grass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153791681113
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:13 am

balogh wrote:Some of you may be familiar with this lost plane finder...connect it between the RX and  a servo and will buzz if the servo remains inactivated for a few seconds..good only for RC planes though
..generates high pitch sound and helps find stray planes in bush or deep grass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153791681113

Thanks for the link! Looks like a small price to pay for insurance to find a lost plane. Hope the beeping sound is loud enough to hear from a distance.
Spent a little extra time browsing the sellers other items, lots of low priced items like metal gear servos, wire plugs, temperature controls, wide range of strange and fun stuff!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:33 am

Rene this stuff works, I have tried it, and just re-ordered a pack of 2 for an astronomic amount of 3.99 USD, shipping from China included...with the RX turned on, and the buzzer connected between a servo and the RX, it will start buzzing - loud enough to hear it in a 100 yard distance or so - if that servo is not activated for 1 minute . I typically connect it between the elevator servo and the RX because the elevator is pretty active during flight and will not give the buzzer the 1 minute idle time for it to start buzzing in a normal flight.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:59 pm

balogh wrote:Rene this stuff works, I have tried it,  and just re-ordered a pack of 2 for an astronomic amount of 3.99 USD, shipping from China included...with the RX turned on, and the buzzer connected between a servo and the RX, it will start buzzing - loud enough to hear it in a 100 yard distance or so - if that servo is not activated for 1 minute . I typically connect it between the elevator servo and the RX because the elevator is pretty active during flight and will not give the buzzer the 1 minute idle time for it to start buzzing in a normal flight.

Hi András, what happens if you put it on the Gear and activate it in the supposed case of model loss? ... I ask maybe it's possible to make it sound when you want it Huh...
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:00 pm

Hi Mauricio. If you connect it to the landing gear it will start buzzing 1 minute after take-off because the landing gear is idle during flight. You should connect it to a servo that is frequently activared in flight like elevator, rudder or aileron. If the plane is lost do not touch the sticks on the radio and the buzzer will ho on after 1 minute.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:18 am

Okay, it's logical. I'm glad to know that there are such accessories to help recover a model. I have present. Thanks friend! Thumbs Up
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2