Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Today at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Today at 9:02 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:26 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Today at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:09 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 6:07 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 5:13 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by gkamysz Today at 4:41 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Today at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.

Post  aspeed Mon May 25, 2020 8:14 am

balogh wrote:It is the 3D nipple body with sufficient thickness that, combined with the brass nipple, will last much longer than the stock COX  RC nipple. When the fuel stub breaks off - and it will sooner than later- from the stock part, there is no way to replace it with a threaded brass nipple because the plastic sleeve is very thin.
Oh, OK, I do not have one to be able to comment on it then. There is usually a plan B though if you think hard enough. I have snapped a few plastic nipples off on LAs, and Thunder Tiger .07s just bumping them with starters and being careless, as well as cheap swap meet deals.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 Empty Re: Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.

Post  balogh Mon May 25, 2020 8:30 am

The Tarno RC carb had a similar concept for the fuel nipple, with the whole spraybar unit including the nipple body made of brass...

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 Cox_td10

if one wanted to re-purpose it to a COX TeeDee RC carb, the spraybar hole on thr nipple body had to be widened to accommodate the COX spraybar..once I tried it with a used and defunct Tarno carb, but unfortunately cannibalized the all-brass nipple body and have given up...

Last edited by balogh on Mon May 25, 2020 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon May 25, 2020 8:32 am

I was wondering how long it was going to take for that new carb fuel inlet to be spotted. I accidentally left it on the carb when it took the picture. I had one crumble when it was installing a carburetor and thought there must be a better solution.

The brass fuel barb is 3-56 threaded one from Clippard. The barb is too small for regular size .049 fuel tubing and only works with the .010/.020 fuel tubing. They are also almost $1 a piece too.
I did approach Matt and he is also working on an alternative solution.

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 06ae3d10

I also tried to do a direct print of the entire part. Being so small I can’t get fine enough detail on the barb fitting. I might be able to change the design of this so the barb comes out round vs oval. This prints as an overhang so I would have to teardrop shape the barb for it to come out round on the 3D print. This would also require a lot of cleanup work where just tapping a hole would be easier with a threaded nipple.

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 7e84dc10
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon May 25, 2020 8:40 am

Jason if the problem is only the size of the fitting fuel tubing, then what I would do is attach an 010 or 020 size, short  fuel tube to the nipple so that the barb will hold it, then pull the larger, 049 size fuel tube over the other end of short 010 size tube, and  run it up to the 049 engine...I may also pull a small spring - the one used in Babe Bee tanks - into the 010 size tube to prevent it from collapsing under the external pressure by the 049 tube..or would just add a copper or aluminum tube connector in between the 010 and 049 tubes etc...

My garage-tuning solution, not ultimately professional, but would still be working with your small nipple, and be several orders of magnitude better and more reliable than the all-plastic COX fuel nipple...I would still be interested in buying such a hybrid solution...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon May 25, 2020 8:54 am

These fittings would fit the .049 size fuel tubing but have a painfully slow shipping option.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32696220692.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&spm=2114.12057483.0.0.2d50546d9TXC5Y

They are for pneumatic hose but should work fine. They will be larger than the Clippard 3-56 version.

I made the fuel inlet thicker for more strength. I tried to crush a glass filled Zytel Version with my fingers and could not even get it to deform it’s that strong. I need to test it with fuel to make sure there still isn’t an issue with leaks.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon May 25, 2020 8:57 am

Good to see that you will soon find the solution !!! I believe the small nipple size is just cosmetics, if the larger size is difficult to source, I would still happily compromise on the small one...we are modelers anyway and need our part of innovations when completing our fuel systems on our planes.. Smile
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sat May 30, 2020 1:04 am

Any word on the threaded insert?

Popcorn
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sat May 30, 2020 1:50 am

They came in today. I need to update the drawing to make the screw boss bigger and enlarge the hole size. Backplate will be updated as well. 5/8-18 Bottom tap came in also but I need to take the first 2 tapered threads off of it on the grinder.

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 39fb3710
Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 67494e10
Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 B4267410
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sat May 30, 2020 2:40 am

More tweaks but eliminating the potential of stripped screw holes is worth it.

I have set up the 65 deg carb mount with a Killer Bee .049
Will be bench testing the throttle function and peak power
with the APC 4.4x4 labeled as a .049 Free Flight Prop.

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 20200510
Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 20200511

Small Cox Logo Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 31, 2020 8:21 am

Well that makes more since , i was thinking it had something to do with the cly. placement But didn't want to sound stupid and say something about the size of the insert >> guess i missed a line . Looks good Brad why is it U use .020 spinners on .049 engines again ( i am having brain farts i guess ) lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun May 31, 2020 10:44 am

Less mass out at the end of the driveline for less wobble, reduced heat and increase in rpm.
Helps to center the prop / insets a bit and allows the use of a E starter.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:47 am

Thanks Brad , makes since to me Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 Empty Possible source of high temp epoxy

Post  SABOO Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:09 pm

Masterbond.com
SABOO
SABOO
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:39 am

SABOO wrote:Masterbond.com
SABOO. As a new member/poster it would be great to get to know who you are, where you're from and what your interests are. As it is, it just looks like you're on the payroll of a product company.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:15 am

Master Bond One Part Epoxy Compounds
One part, no mix epoxy meets NASA low outgassing specifications.
Serviceable up to 600°F. Tg is 225°C. High shear, tensile and compressive strength properties.

Small Cox Logo Popcorn Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:56 am

Then you need a mold , right ? Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:04 am

Why do it with epoxy resin if make a mold why not do it with aluminum? Me if I had the chance to have this crankcase I would print with some kind of wax then I would make a mold with I would not waste my time with resin whatever the kind I already have a good result to repair parts of crankcase leaks this kind of thing build parts wit !!!! Rolling Eyes What? Other than to make a beautiful art Decorative display engine
I will never use this method for Important piece dont waste mony use aluminium If you seriously want to complete this type of engine crankcase This is my humble opinion I must clarify that I find the prototype valid is should just use aluminum rather than losing $$$$% time is money best Babe Bee .049 made of aluminium Not plastiques reson for that is plastiques wil Not hold for long terme use Yes you will say that the cars of our day use different types of plastic in the engine, it is really no good for intensive use the cars are no longer what they are. Now made cheap al this To save mony $$$ Then it's us the poor customers who are fooled its wy That I keep my old nissan gtr for always
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Ball bearings you say? 3D printed BB crankcase.  - Page 2 Empty Sealant not for Molding

Post  SABOO Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:32 am

A low viscosity 1 or 2 part methyl hydrate resistant epoxy could be used to infuse the 3d printed parts.  It would prevent leaks and add stiffness.  The use of epoxy is not intended to mold or make a mold, but just to seal the porosity of 3d printed parts.

If the part is made of ABS a quick dip in acetone will sometimes achieve the same result.  It softens the material and is used to improve the finish of ABS parts.

PETG as a 3d printing filament is resistant to Methyl alcohol.

Has anyone tried using an SLS printer for such fine detail parts?  If so what resin was used? SLS is Selective Laser Sintering. A laser scans a layer of powder and cures it or binds it. The bed is lowered and a new layer of powder is spread and the laser process continues. You can have metal parts made this way.

They also have laser cured liquid resin printers. You can buy home ones for less than $1000 with very small build volumes. I am not familiar with the properties of the finished product with respect to chemical resistance etc. In this machine a layer of liquid resin is cured by a scanning laser. Then the print bed is lowered and a film of resin floods the top surface. Then the laser cures the appropriate areas and the process repeats.

A company like Shapeways can make a very high resolution part for evaluation. They have a choice of materials and methodologies of printing to choose from. They are one of many 3D printing service bureaus around the country.

Last edited by SABOO on Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification and adding details)
SABOO
SABOO
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2