Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings Cox_ba12

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Today at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Today at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Today at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Today at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Today at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:47 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings Empty
Live on Patrol

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings

Go down

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings Empty More mower stuff and misc. ramblings

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:10 pm

I save the zero-turn and use the old tractor style mower to do the woods and down by the pond. Rough stuff there. Rocks, branches, stumps.

Going along well, the mower just stopped moving. Motor running fine. Oh, oh.....transaxle or drive belt. Hoping for the belt. Got the ATV and pulled it back to the garage after pushing it about 30 yards up hill to a cleared area. Not the first time.

Removed the body pan and found Florida grass and sand everywhere. Cleaned it up and hosed it off.

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010339
More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010338
More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010337[/url
[url=https://servimg.com/view/19152833/5911]More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010340

Jacked it up to get a better look. Belt a mess, at least 25 years old, frayed but intact. They did not intend for you to remove the thing nothing in the book about how to do it. A mixture of idler and drive pulleys, guides, springs, steering arms and electrical connections that had to be removed or disconnected. Ordered a new belt.

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010342
More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010341

Thought while I have the mower deck off I would deal with the holes sandblasted over time with Florida sand. Doesn't happen here. Used JB Weld on the small hole, probably won't last - and steel sheet bolted in on the larger hole which will be filled in with JB on the outside. Might as well grease the spindles and replace the blades while I'm at it.

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010343
More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010344

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings Empty Re: More mower stuff and misc. ramblings

Post  dckrsn Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:26 pm

Glad it was "just a belt", Bob. Mad
A plumber once told me, sometimes you get a call
for a leaky faucet, and you wind up chasing problems
all the way to the curb cock.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings Empty Re: More mower stuff and misc. ramblings

Post  OhBee Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:34 pm

Nothing worse than riding mower repairs! And if it's green and yellow it''s worse than the worst! I won't touch them anymore!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:17 pm

Green & Yellow covers two models, and I don't like either. Main reason with both the JD and the Yardman is replacing the belts. Usually just takes a wayward stick to throw a belt off. When refitting there's just no simple way to do it. Removing rusted guides and pulley brackets ain't my idea of fun.

Our mower is a local made Greenfield, chosen not only for being Aus manufactured, but it runs a simple and reliable belt-only drive, with a single constant running drive belt that runs around two counter-rotating clutch pulleys under the seat. Heel and toe control, no gearbox and no hydrostatics. Just two cork friction discs which hardly ever give trouble.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:01 pm

Well, it’s fixed now and sounds like some much needed maintenance was in order anyway. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

I am surprised you don’t have a little MIG welder to close up those holes.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:00 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Well, it’s fixed now and sounds like some much needed maintenance was in order anyway. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.

I am surprised you don’t have a little MIG welder to close up those holes.

Ron

Got one Ron, (belongs to my son) but it works so poorly that I seldom use it.  

Used it on the zero-turn mower to repair some cracks and a badly bent/broken hangar caused be me running into rocks and stumps.   Dissatisfied, I brought it to the local welder who did a great job. Well spent $45.

Gotta say, never had a problem with either JD that wasn't caused by me.  14 hp Kawasaki on the LX-172, 18.5 hp B&S on the Z225 total of 35 years running both.  

Pretty sure it was the belt Bob.  Put it in neutral and spun the transaxle pulley with no problem.  Put it in gear, spun the pulley and the wheels turned.  And as Rod said, maybe a stick moved the belt off the pulley, I did remove a stick stuck up there after I got it in the garage.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:29 pm

While on "Mower" ramblings, I just got sent this link to a song our band did a few years back.  It was actually a school project for Steve's nephew.  I know it looks pretty "cheesy", but it was done in fun.  (I'm the one with the not-so-grey beard).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e0N6c08oHM4P0QEFO0d_SX34rI-0ejMI/view?usp=sharing

A word of explanation-  Here in Aus this type of mower is simply referred to as a "ride-on".  There was a competition running in the US by Briggs & Stratton where they were looking for the best song which contained the brand name.  Steve must have had a little too much time on his hands to write this one. Laughing
No, we're not just a novelty band. Just that the only video we have of us is for the silly stuff.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:22 pm

Rod, Thanks that was a fun video to watch, almost got to sing along! lol!

Who’s got a grey beard??
Old Bugger
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:38 am

Marleysky wrote:Rod, Thanks that was a fun video to watch, almost got to sing along! lol!

Who’s got a grey beard??
Old Bugger
Well that was filmed in '09, so my beard is a little greyer now, plus our greying guitarist Darryl no longer has a beard.

As for my hair going grey, well there's not enough of that left to be worried about Sad Goodbye

The video probably has a few cultural references that some may find puzzling, although I'm sure mobility scooters are pretty much universal.  Happy to field any questions to aleviate confusion. Thumbs Up
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:06 am

Thanks for that video Rod, it brought a smile and a chuckle.  Loved the ride alongs and the editing, song, and music were first rate.  

We just call them riding lawn mowers here with sub-categories of Tractors and Zero-turns.  

Got a lot done on my John Deere LX-172, 25 years old and a gift from my wife when we retired to Florida.  Guess she wanted to ensure i kept the lawn mowed.  Florida sand "sandblasted" holes in the mower deck that I repaired with JB Weld and bolted in steel plate. Took about 36 hours for the JB to dry rock hard.  I used a rasp to shape it then sanded it down a bit and painted with primer and some Krylon yellow that I had on hand.  Not a bad match.

Got the new traction (drive) belt in and replaced it, no easy job but it should be good for another 25.  Testing flat out through the woods in fourth gear it held fine.  

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010351

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010346
More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010347
More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010345

Got new blades coming so I haven't installed the deck yet.  Chunks missing from the old blades (installed in '96) left me no choice.  Imbalance issue.  

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010348
More mower stuff and misc. ramblings Deere_10

Hood has major problems.  $1300 to replace so it will have to do.

Good side/bad side.

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010350
More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010349

High tech hood latch (wire tie) holds it on.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:51 am

Hey BOb!  Nice repair on the mower deck! Ya can fix alotta stuff with $1300 worth of JB Weld!  I’d rivet or screw a patch of hardware cloth on the inside of that opening on the LH side of the hood then bondo or fiberglass over it, sorta like what you’ve done to the deck. I’ve used “Gator blades” on my rider. They’re a little thicker than the standard blades, but turn small twigs off the trees into compost!  This year I have run over enough molehills it looks like the inside of the deck has been sandblasted! More mower stuff and misc. ramblings 77092d10
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:34 pm

I looked at those blades Rene but opted for the more traditional type. Probably should have got them as I use this mower on the rougher parts of my yard.

Got the new blades today. Powder coated John Deere Green, same price as most of the others.

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010352

I have tried to repair that hood. Poor design on the hinges where most of the troubles occur. Plastic holes and pivots don't last very long. But, I was never very careful with it either.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Cracked plastic hoods are par for course for John Deere. Their farm tractors use plastic hoods and they crack too. But those cost $7-8k to replace plus a $500 decal set. John Deere is real proud of them at that cost. It got so bad an aftermarket company is making hoods at 2/3 the price.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:19 pm

Jason_WI wrote:Cracked plastic hoods are par for course for John Deere. Their farm tractors use plastic hoods and they crack too. But those cost $7-8k to replace plus a $500 decal set.  John Deere is real proud of them at that cost. It got so bad an aftermarket company is making hoods at 2/3 the price.

Yes, within the first five years the hoods pivots were toast. I repaired them by using backup metal across the cracks bolted in place, visible in the first picture above in front of the shed. A losing effort.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Finished the John Deere but not without a hiccup.

Thought I got a whiff of overheated drive belt and checked.  Sure enough I had a washer on the wrong side of the belt keeper keeping the spindle from spinning.  The back of the belt riding on the stationary spindle would have worn a flat on it had I not caught it before I installed the mower.  Washer rides on the inner race allowing the spindle to rotate.

Put the mower on and cut a perfect line in the lawn.  New high lift blades work well.  

More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010354
More mower stuff and misc. ramblings P1010355

26 years old but always garaged.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down