Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Cox_ba12

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by layback209 Today at 11:48 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 8:12 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Empty
Live on Patrol

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower

Go down

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Empty Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:47 pm

Came with the house when I bought it 12 years ago, previous owner already had four years on it. Motor blew last year replaced with a new JD motor. Love the thing, but it's a hard ride, the seat is unsprung and sits right on the frame. Curious it has unsported plastic cups under the seat that should but do not support coil springs. Springs would push the cups right through the frame. Kills my back every time I use it.

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower P1015599
Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower P1015600
Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower P1015601

I mow about 4 of my 5.5 acres and am buying the two unimproved lots next to me for a total of about 11 acres. I have recently added a foam cushion to the seat but after about three hours on the thing my back is singing and not in tune either. The outlaying "field" is about two acres and at one time plowed. It's a rough ride. Only place that I have that could support control line flying so I keep it mowed. Something had to give.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Lowes and sat on the new Cub Cadet zero turn mower. Big difference, comfortable sprung seat and 60" wide cut as opposed to the 42" of the John Deere. Got hooked. Fathers day sale, delivered crated in a couple of days.

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Cub-ca10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Empty Mowers in Australia

Post  aeroland Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:30 pm

When offered a choice of mowers the Saleman was pushing the zero turn style. When mowing grass in Australia one can come across venomous black or brown snakes in the grass. So as I explained to the Salesman having nothing between me and an angry snake didn't appeal so I looked for a conventional ride on. Was offered some with Briggs and Stratton engines but I recoiled in horror as those things have ringed pistons running in a plain aluminium bore. A "Guaranteed To Fail" design feature. Conrods come out the side too. Then offered a Husqvarna one with a Kawasaki V twin of their "industrial series" and bought that. Engine brilliant, mower crap. Broke everything including the chassis. Welded that up myself with 1/8" steel fish plates. Kept busting the lugs off the diecast mower blade spindle hubs so designed steel ones and surprise surprise, they've been going fine for the last 17 years.
Daughter gave me their Husqvarna as that broke its chassis too. Had that welded up for me as in hospital at the time. Somewhat to my surprise the 25 HP Kohler engine has lasted very well. Just had to replace the Bendix gear on the starter about 12 years back. The 25 HP Husqvarna happily throws off its mowing deck drive belt on start up so had to devise a "work around" procedure. Both Husqvarnas have unguarded belt runs so every now and again a stick comes up and pings off the motion drive belt. Fair amount of work to put that back on. Kevlar belts used now, Gates if I can get them.
aeroland
aeroland
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Empty Re: Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower

Post  getback Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:52 am

Cool Has a good review >> Overall, the Cub Cadet Ultima ZT1 mower is awesome. It is super comfortable, easy to use, and provides a great cut. The engine is high quality and the transmission is best in class. If you are using this mower for residential purposes and not mowing the side of a highway, then you should have great results.Feb 22, 2023 <<< from inter. Having issues with mine starting ( turning over) bought a 70 $ battery jumps ok batt. now 2 months old soo got to ck. it some more ?? Sad
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Empty Re: Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower

Post  rdw777 Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:21 am

Too bad the John Deere mower had no spring for the seat…. Cool looking old mower, I’m sure you have kept in fine mechanical condition…, Cub Cadet will serve better with its bigger deck…. I used have two acres I kept with a Ford tractor and shredder…. Down to a yard I can handle with a push mower and weed eater…
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:15 pm

rdw777 wrote:Too bad the John Deere mower had no spring for the seat…. Cool looking old mower, I’m sure you have kept in fine mechanical condition…, Cub Cadet will serve better with its bigger deck…. I used have two acres I kept with a Ford tractor and shredder…. Down to a yard I can handle with a push mower and weed eater…

Back when the earth was still cooling I pushed one of these to cut the grass on our postage stamp sized lawn on Epping street in Raymond New Hampshire. 1937 Ford coupe sitting in the back yard.

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Vintag11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:41 pm

Bob, I remember those. It would do the job, but was a lot of effort, good workout. lol!

Since, the earth has cooled with the wooly mamoths dead, so I used to cut our one acre lot with 2/3rds as the backyard with a self propelled push mower. It is my second one with a Honda engine, great reliability, was now on a second one since first wore out.

But with my bad back, 5 years ago I opted for a Troybuilt 30 inch riding mower with engine in the back similar to Bob's first one shown. It has a Briggs and Straton motor, but so far has been trouble free.

It was reasonably priced (under $1K, now double that), easy to get in and out the gate, electric start so no tugging on a start cord. The extra 10 inch cut width over walk behind mowers and its speed makes quick work of the back especially when having knee high grass. Without the engine cowl assembly in the front, its visibility is excellent.
Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Troy-b10
Factory photo shown.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:27 am

Delivered minutes ago at 7am this morning.

Delivery guy a fun conversation.  We share early to rise and the reasons for.............. Smile.  Says he has delivered about 30 of these so far this year.

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower P1015613
Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower P1015614
Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower P1015615
Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower P1015616

Marks coming over to put it together.  I'm heading for the tractor, chain saw and the ditch.  About the last of it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:10 pm

Good looking machine Robert. Congratulations! Comfort is everything. If you haven't already; you may want to consider trying-out wearing a back support/brace while mowing. Even though this new machine has a more comfortable seat, you'll still be jostled around.. and you're looking at more area to mow in the near future too. Keep hearing protection and UV sun/safety goggles with the machine and visible, so you never forget to wear them.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:45 pm

Big difference between the two.  The John Deere is the sports car - fast, agile, noisy, turns on a dime.  The Cadet is the F-150 - plodding, quiet in comparison, turns on a quarter but it cuts a perfect 60 inches leaving no trail like the JD does.  Three blades in a triangle shape makes for a nice even cut, what it's all about.  

Mark got it off the pallet and I took it out for a spin.  Later Mark checked the tire pressures.  Fronts were in the twenties, rears checked at 33psi. Rears supposed to be 10 psi fronts should be 14.  Going to make a difference in the ride and this one has seat springs.

Seat sits higher than the JD so I have to be more aware of low tree branches.  Lot's of neck injuries with these.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:44 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
rdw777 wrote:Too bad the John Deere mower had no spring for the seat…. Cool looking old mower, I’m sure you have kept in fine mechanical condition…, Cub Cadet will serve better with its bigger deck…. I used have two acres I kept with a Ford tractor and shredder…. Down to a yard I can handle with a push mower and weed eater…

Back when the earth was still cooling I pushed one of these to cut the grass on our postage stamp sized lawn on Epping street in Raymond New Hampshire.  1937 Ford coupe sitting in the back yard.  

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Vintag11

Hi Bob,
I am testing out/learning quotes here on CEF... Smile

I spent some 'Forrest Gump' years on an old triple blade Toro zero turnaround. Better than the one he had !
(a Zipper?)
Bullet proof,
Until a tranny hose failed.
Dumped all the fluid, in the middle of the nicest/fancy lawn we did. Shocked  
We got it moved/ repaired. Again.
This is when we learned, Automatic transmission fluid is worse/better at killing any plant life !
Tried repairing the nice sod field, eventually planted a 6ft Pine. Right in the middle of it.
The Pine is 25 ft today.
Your results may vary,
Hope you like this story,
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:58 pm

I always enjoy your stories Dave, and I remember that scene in Forrest Gump.  Mowing the lawn in a nice even patten then he sees Jenny, gloved hand retards the throttle then he shuts it off.  Tom Hanks.  The guy can play anybody.  "Terminal" a favorite.

Maple tree in my front yard was a twig when we moved in, now 12 years later it's a towering 25/30'.  A couple of weeks ago I changed the oil in my John Deere zero turn.  New motor with no extention capable of receiving a drain hose,  removed the plug and despite a container oil went all over my driveway.  Anticipated, I had a drain ready replacement ready to install.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:49 am

How about a four stroke Cub Cadet Weed Eater? Mark found it at the flea market for five dollars. He replaced the starting cord and it runs like new.

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Cc_310
Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Cc_wha10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:53 am

rsv1cox wrote:Back when the earth was still cooling I pushed one of these to cut the grass on our postage stamp sized lawn on Epping street in Raymond New Hampshire. 1937 Ford coupe sitting in the back yard.  

This was the first Zero Turn lawnmower. lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:49 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Back when the earth was still cooling I pushed one of these to cut the grass on our postage stamp sized lawn on Epping street in Raymond New Hampshire. 1937 Ford coupe sitting in the back yard.  

This was the first Zero Turn lawnmower. lol!
When I was little , I kept asking dad if I could cut the grass ( we had a nice Troy built  lawn tractor. My older brother got to cut the grass . When we moved out of the country into a small town , Dad said , ok now you can cut the grass . And he gave me a rusted one of those. Moral of the story . Bee careful of what you ask for
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:38 pm

Hi rsv1cox,
Nice early 4-stroke Smile
Those early 2stroke 'weed wacker' engines evolved to powering gas 1/4 scale planes here.
Good luck,
Finding parts for the 'business end' of any old weed wacker is very hard. Surprised Cool
Back then,
An old golf course 'tripple reel' mower showed up at our field.
I took a file and sharpened the three reels.
Others, did the many belts/greasing/new 20hp engine/etc...
It worked great.
Scariest machine I have ever been on... Shocked
It cut the field like a golf fairway, for four years.
Then subdivisions, took over.
Your results, may vary,
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:51 pm

Good one on the push lawn mower George and Joe. My exprience with my older brother too. Also dishes. Let me wash the dishes Mom. Six years old and young and foolish. "Be careful what you ask for." Mom pushed that mower too, but my Dad never did that I noticed. He was too busy doing the big stuff.

Mark brought the Cub Cadet weed eater over and we changed the oil. My mistake he paid ten bucks for it not five.

The new is off the Cub Cadet mower. Has been off the John Deere for a long time. I beat that thing unmercyfully. Foam pad is for my butt. The seat sits right on the frame, no springs at all, a very rough ride and my back............ Sad

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower P1015813
Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower P1015814

He also brought over the Scientific Musciano model. I will do a page.

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower P1015815

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:18 am

We currently use a gang of 7 Jacobsen reels which the club has had for about 20 years. They have been fully serviced in that time, but some are starting to show problems again. I keep looking for another set, but no luck. Cutting 5 acres of grass isn't trivial, this will do it in around an hour. I'm doing the maintenance. Today, I get to put back together the IH 154 Lo-Boy clutch also for the club.

Everything you never wanted to know about my John Deere zero turn mower Captur10
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:37 am

Our RC club uses a gang reel much like yours. Got it from a golf course. We use a very old full size tractor to pull it. It is on it's last legs. I think we are about 6 acres. There is also a very old Cub rider for the lane and trimming. It is much bigger than the run of the mill stuff at the hardware stores. I have a 46" AYP/ Craftsman 21 hp rider from the last house on the lake. Kind of overkill for the yard I have now. Gets finished in no time though. The step son is looking for a big mower for a client with few acres. Not sure what to recommend. I think the zero turns are overkill, but have never tried one out, so can't really say.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down