Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 Empty Re: Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:11 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             Aero Flyte Super Blast?

You have to love the names. I think the colors, the wording, it meant a lot to us. I mean think about Fox fuel, Missile Mist, how original and it was the deepest purple color. How cool was that. It ruined my shoes, my mom was hot and I got yelled at for nearly 15 minutes.

You're on the money Ken.
Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 100_5213
Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 100_5214
Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 100_5212
Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 100_5215
Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 100_5216
Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 100_5217

100 was standard glow o% nitro.
300 was super glow 5% nitro.
200 was standard diesel.
400 was super diesel.
All the yellow cans are from the 70s.  Plastic bottle would be late 80s. They haven't survived the rigours of many years stored in an open sided farm shed.  The diesel cans still have some in them.  The 400 is over half full and fired up my Taipan (what else?) Tyro no troubles at all 5-6 years ago.
Not sure about the dope can (mostly full still) but I'd say early 70s, before my time of building.  Think I got it in a job-lot of stuff I got off a high school teacher.
The final shot is the original glass bottle of Testors fuel that came with my P-40.  The original pink fuel was exhausted the first day before I even got the thing to run.  I took the bottle in to have refilled at the local sports store who mixed his own.  (What's Nitro?).
That thing never did run until I got a red & white can of Cox Glow Power Fuel like in Bob's first picture.  Sadly that can didn't survive.
Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 Empty Re: Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:51 am

rsv1cox wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:Give me a day or two to get some pics and I'll show you some cans that I bet no non-Aussie has seen Huh...
Any guesses?

Dingo motor oil and Wombat soup.

Close Bob.  The Wombat soup is a particular delicacy. Won't fire an engine though.

The traditional Aussie recipe for cooking a Cockatoo is well known.
Pluck & prepare the bird.  Place in a pot & cover with water.  Add a large rock to the pot and boil for 4 hours.  Throw away the Cockatoo and eat the rock.  I suspect Wombat might be just as tough Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:16 am

Interesting pictures Rod, with those round cans you and Rene have some very unique collectibles. First round cans of glow fuel that I have seen in my 82 years. And amazing how Ken nailed it. As educated guess! How does he know this stuff...

Enjoyed your recipe. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:33 am

Well I was surprised when I first saw the Cox fuel in a square can.  I'd only ever seen round.  Even up until recently, a guy in Melbourne Victoria was sell "Combat Kid" model diesel fuel in round cans.  Must be sort of a tradition, maybe with diesel.

By the way, I've never actually tried the Cockatoo recipe, or Wombat for that matter.
Mind you, if we could learn to eat them we'd never run short of food out here. They are both prolific to the point of being nuisances.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:54 am

Marleysky wrote:I think the best one is the little round Cox fuel can,
Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 5f945710

Oldenginerod wrote:
Ken Cook wrote:Aero Flyte Super Blast?
You're on the money Ken.
Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 100_5213

100 was standard glow o% nitro.
300 was super glow 5% nitro.
200 was standard diesel.
400 was super diesel.
All the yellow cans are from the 70s.

This is some very interesting trivia! I have never seen any fuel in small round cans before! Thanks for sharing, Marleysky and Rod! Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:10 am

I will agree i have never seen round cans either / Very fun stuff and interesting too !! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:49 pm

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 P1010380

Of these six cans the three middle ones have fuel in them starting with the quart Thimble Drome can.

The left one about 3/4 full, middle 1/3, right 1/4.  When the spirit moves me I'll dump each one into a glass jar and check for contamination.  If not too bad, I'll strain through a linen cloth combine them all and see how they run an engine or two.

Let ya know.....
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:20 pm

George, I had a fellow club member years back who was raised in Australia . I haven't seen him in at least ten years. I'm one of the young members of the club and most are not even flying these days. When I go out to fly nowadays, I'm lucky to see 5 members. 20 years ago, there would be 20 members on any given weekend and sometimes more. When we were waiting out turns to go out and fly, discussions were always going. I remember the fuel discussion where the Australian member Tom mentioned Aero Flyte fuels. Now if my memory could've retained my schoolwork like my hobby, I would've probably been a lot better off.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:23 pm

Ken Cook wrote: Australian member Tom mentioned Aero Flyte fuels.

There was nothing else generally available to my knowledge, apart from Cox 1/2A fuel. Well, not around these parts anyway. You used Aero Flyte or you mixed your own. Most hobby shops had the raw ingredients and they could mix it to order. You could just walk into the local fuel depot and buy some Shell Racing "A" and Castrol "M" and you were set.
The SuperBlast 100 was probably equivalent to your FAI fuel- no nitro and all castor. In fact, I would suspect that the whole range was all castor- no Aero Flyte fuel had any colour to it in my observation up until the plastic bottle I showed, which has a slight green tinge.
One thing I did learn was that a Testors .049 wouldn't start on 0% or 5% nitro fuel. That's where my only ever can of Cox fuel came in.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:05 am

I’m just posting this cause I just found these on FB marketplace !   I might buy em just for fun!

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 69c4ef10
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:01 am

Cool ! Can u still get the label tape ? Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:06 am

Marleysky wrote:I’m just posting this cause I just found these on FB marketplace !   I might buy em just for fun!

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 2020-032

I still have the top one, except it is red in color. I used these starting almost 50 years ago, to make radio panel item labels for homemade radios and amplifiers. Even used them on my RC transmitters.

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 Dscn2510

On my Charlie's R/C kit radio (Charlie was Bill Cannon's wife, this was the kit version of Cannon's Model #810 4-channel mini transmitter), I used the script wheel. On top you see AMA 74677 and KBNH3094 (my FCC "call sign" license for my permit, back then you had to pay a fee, send in a non-test application for a permit).

It is amazing that you can still buy tapes for these, although the modern electronic label makers are vastly superior.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:47 pm

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 Untitl13
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:56 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 Untitl13

Good. Thumbs Up Hijacked Now someone needs to label some fuel cans. lol! Tired w/ Coffee Read Old Bugger Smoking Popcorn Beer Cheers drunken sunny Back To Topic
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 Empty Old Fuel cans / bottles

Post  sosam117 Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:09 am

I just posted my engine for the month and it has one bottle and one can of Cox glow fuel (original Cox fuel still in the containers).
I also have another bottle of Cox glow fuel as well that I did not include into the photo.

Also have a few cans of Fox racing fuel and Missile Mist fuel as well.

Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 Rc_com12
Ok, show your collectable glow fuel cans - Page 2 Rc_com13
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2