Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!


Sig Skyray Cox_ba12




Sig Skyray Pixel

Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Carl Goldberg Shoestring
by NEW222 Today at 9:22 pm

» Tank Cleaning and an Old Rant from my Youth
by Ken Cook Today at 8:24 pm

» Designing a Tee Dee RC carb
by dckrsn Today at 6:56 pm

» COX 049 Product Engine '76 - type confirm .
by balogh Today at 5:46 pm

» Home made fuel nipple for COX Tee Dee RC carb
by balogh Today at 3:56 pm

» Contest - Contest - Contest
by Admin Today at 2:42 pm

» COX TeeDee09 RC in flight with the Cosmic Wind
by balogh Today at 12:16 pm

» Fall S.M.A.L.L. Friday
by Kim Today at 10:33 am

» Big Brother
by NEW222 Yesterday at 3:18 pm

» Cox Engine Stories
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:39 am

» It's raining Cox engines
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:19 am

» Simple Baby Ringmaster build
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2021
MauricioB's

"Babe Bee .049 r/c"



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery


Sig Skyray Empty

Sig Skyray

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:03 am

Does anyone have the dimensions of the sig skyray 35? Would like to try and scratch build one.
I know the elevator is 14 1/2" long.
The wing is 44" long.
Aircraft length 33" long.

Any added dimensions you could add would be great.
Thanks
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  pkrankow Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:40 am

https://sigmfg.com/products/sig-skyray-35-kit

396 sq inches

Since it is cutrrent production getting a copy of the plans without purchasing a kit is difficult. I am sure that SIG acttively protects their intellectual property to some extent, enough that I cannot find plans with a basic internet search, even though I know they have been posted before.

At $70 it is probably worth buying at least once.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3025
Join date : 2012-10-02
Location : Ohio

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:35 am

I purchased a kit. Will be one of the winter projects.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:43 am

One thing to keep in mind, like the Twister and others, Sig uses Lite ply for the doublers. If you ever purchased it, you would discover that it's half the cost of birch 5 ply. Obviously why Sig chooses to use it.  Even 3 ply is better than Lite ply. My buddy Larry built 2 of them and I suggested to replace the doublers which he didn't. Vibrations rendered the Lite ply plane useless. It doesn't stabilize the nose adequately and the bolts will pull through it as well. The Skyray already in my opinion has beams too short and coupling that with inferior plywood makes twice the issues. I don't like the fact that they chose to use the same plywood for the ribs but I will say it works for that principle aside from the weight penalty they offer. Many offer suggestive ideas on what to do for this and that but in my experience, most kits suffer from the lack of good quality ply. That would be the most important change.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4508
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  getback Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:02 pm

@oldguy wrote:I purchased a kit.  Will be one of the winter projects.
Are you going to share Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Posts : 8138
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 64
Location : julian , NC

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:08 pm

@getback wrote:
@oldguy wrote:I purchased a kit.  Will be one of the winter projects.
 Are you going to share Smile

Right now i'm working on a Super Satan building from a short kit. The other kit i mentioned is the Sig Skyray 35.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:14 pm

@Ken Cook wrote:One thing to keep in mind, like the Twister and others, Sig uses Lite ply for the doublers. If you ever purchased it, you would discover that it's half the cost of birch 5 ply. Obviously why Sig chooses to use it.  Even 3 ply is better than Lite ply. My buddy Larry built 2 of them and I suggested to replace the doublers which he didn't. Vibrations rendered the Lite ply plane useless. It doesn't stabilize the nose adequately and the bolts will pull through it as well. The Skyray already in my opinion has beams too short and coupling that with inferior plywood makes twice the issues. I don't like the fact that they chose to use the same plywood for the ribs but I will say it works for that principle aside from the weight penalty they offer. Many offer suggestive ideas on what to do for this and that but in my experience, most kits suffer from the lack of good quality ply. That would be the most important change.

I will look at the ply doublers that you mentioned, i also read where some have replaced the ply ribs with balsa. I bought the Skyray kit off ebay For $59.00 total. It was a sealed kit. And the engine beams were two different sizes 1 was 3/8x1/2 and the other was 1/2x1/2 weird. And they do look alittle short, iw ill be replacing them i have some maple 3/8x 1/2.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  Ken Cook Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:06 am

There's been about 6 of these Skyray planes that I have seen in our club over the past 10 years. Only one had the ply ribs. I don't think that's a huge issue. However, I believe they're die cut therefore some of them might not be exactly the same outline. Personally, I don't like to re engineer a entire kit. I have no issues with simple changes. One thing though you might want to swap is a inboard rib for balsa to exchange the ply version so that you have a solid decent template. My flying buddy Jack who passed away a few years ago had a beautiful flying version. His daughter requested that a few of us come over and take his items. I find that very disturbing, however the outcome of the stuff is usually given away to a non modeler or trash canned. I couldn't locate the plane. His was powered with a FP .25 and it was a real hoot to see. It ripped through the air when leaned up.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4508
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:48 pm

@Ken Cook wrote:          There's been about 6 of these Skyray planes that I have seen in our club over the past 10 years. Only one had the ply ribs. I don't think that's a huge issue. However, I believe they're die cut therefore some of them might not be exactly the same outline. Personally, I don't like to re engineer a entire kit. I have no issues with simple changes. One thing though you might want to swap  is a inboard rib for balsa to exchange the ply version so that you have a solid decent template. My flying buddy Jack who passed away a few years ago had a beautiful flying version. His daughter requested that a few of us come over and take his items. I find that very disturbing, however the outcome of the stuff is usually given away to a non modeler or trash canned. I couldn't locate the plane. His was powered with a FP .25 and it was a real hoot to see. It ripped through the air when leaned up.

Thanks for the post Ken, I think i'm going to build the kit with the ply ribs, but will be tracing all the parts using from the kit, onto balsa for another build later. This one will have an FP .25.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  layback209 Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:25 pm

Nice choice of plane! I really like building mine. The spars were kinda wonky but lots of weight and patience was able to build them out. I went with a evo .36 but found it very nose heavey, needed about 3ozs to the tail to get the c.g. right. I think the .25 la would be a much better fit as mentioned above from a weight savings perspective.

Here is the color scheme I went with if your looking for some ideas.

Sig Skyray 20200610
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 137
Join date : 2017-10-13
Age : 35
Location : Okotoks

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:59 pm

@layback209 wrote:Nice choice of plane! I really like building mine. The spars were kinda wonky but lots of weight and patience was able to build them out.  I went with a evo .36 but found it very nose heavey, needed about 3ozs to the tail to get the c.g. right.  I think the .25 la would be a much better fit as mentioned above from a weight savings perspective.  

Here is the color scheme I went with if your looking for some ideas.

Sig Skyray 20200610

I'm going to setup the SR with the Os fp .25, color scheme, wing will be yellow because that's the color of covering i have on hand at the moment, the rest is yet to be determined.   Yours on the wall looks pretty nice.   It will be a little while before i get into the SR.   I'm building a Super Satan at the moment. Wing will be yellow also for the same reason as the SR it's whats on hand.  With a OS Fp .20.  I think it will be plenty of power. I see you hang yours on the wall like i do. But i still have to find somewhere to fly when summer comes i'm new to Idaho.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:09 am

@oldguy wrote:
@layback209 wrote:Nice choice of plane! I really like building mine. The spars were kinda wonky but lots of weight and patience was able to build them out.  I went with a evo .36 but found it very nose heavey, needed about 3ozs to the tail to get the c.g. right.  I think the .25 la would be a much better fit as mentioned above from a weight savings perspective.  

Here is the color scheme I went with if your looking for some ideas.

Sig Skyray 20200610

I'm going to setup the SR with the Os fp .25, color scheme, wing will be yellow because that's the color of covering i have on hand at the moment, the rest is yet to be determined.   Yours on the wall looks pretty nice.   It will be a little while before i get into the SR.   I'm building a Super Satan at the moment. Wing will be yellow also for the same reason as the SR it's whats on hand.  With a OS Fp .20.  I think it will be plenty of power. I see you hang yours on the wall like i do.   But i still have to find somewhere to fly when summer comes i'm new to Idaho.

You really should do a build thread on that Super Satan. I have plans and it’s on my bucket list.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Posts : 11667
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Tuttle, OK

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:08 pm

@Ken Cook wrote:One thing to keep in mind, like the Twister and others, Sig uses Lite ply for the doublers. If you ever purchased it, you would discover that it's half the cost of birch 5 ply. Obviously why Sig chooses to use it.  Even 3 ply is better than Lite ply. My buddy Larry built 2 of them and I suggested to replace the doublers which he didn't. Vibrations rendered the Lite ply plane useless. It doesn't stabilize the nose adequately and the bolts will pull through it as well. The Skyray already in my opinion has beams too short and coupling that with inferior plywood makes twice the issues. I don't like the fact that they chose to use the same plywood for the ribs but I will say it works for that principle aside from the weight penalty they offer. Many offer suggestive ideas on what to do for this and that but in my experience, most kits suffer from the lack of good quality ply. That would be the most important change.

Besides building the Super Satan, I have been gathering balsa , and i have now traced and cut all parts of the Sky Ray, I'm going to be building my first Sky ray with all the traced out balsa, using all balsa ribs, no short ribs. Oh, still need to put to together LE, will use 2 1/4" planks glued together for the 1/2" LE. It's what i have done for the fuselage. i have found it to be stronger when scratch building a 1/2" profile fuselage with two 1/4" pieces glued together. I will be using 1/8" ply for the doublers, it's what i have on hand and it shouldn't be a weight problem since i'm substituting balsa ribs for ply ribs.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:21 pm

Well I'm on my way building a SkyRay .35, have finished the wing and on with fuselage and getting the wing fitted to it, here's a couple of pictures.  I have built this plane with white glue only, first time the CA has really started to mess up my nose and sinuses. So  I wanting to ask a question on gluing the wing in just using white glue, i have for as long as i remember glued the wing in with epoxy,  who else just uses white glue on installing the wing to the fuselage?


Sig Skyray 20210122
Sig Skyray 20210123
Sig Skyray 20210121
Sig Skyray 20210125
Sig Skyray 20210124
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  batjac Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:14 am

I built a trio of Skyrays a few years ago.  All three are identical with OS .25 LA-S engines.  I figured I’d take two out and if I crash one, the remains go in a plastic bag and I pull the other out of the car and keep flying.  

Sig Skyray DSCN5342
Sig Skyray DSCN5339


I built the pink one because my wife said she’d learn to fly if I built her a pink airplane.  She didn’t think a Manly Man would ever build a fluorescent pink plane.  Well, I built it and presented it to her, but she politely declined.  She always does that…  So the pink plane was the first one I took out to fly at the field, figuring if I was going to crash one, it’d be the pink one first and I’d be able to throw it in the corner and move on to the yellow and blue planes.  Well, one Wednesday morning I crashed the pink one, and proceeded to pull the yellow one out of the car and keep flying.  My evil plan to get rid of the pink plane was progressing nicely.  Until the guys at the field started razzing me about real modelers not throwing away planes and such.  So, pride in hand, I had it repaired and flying by Friday.  I pretty much fly the pink plane exclusively because I haven’t crashed it again.  I’ve flown the yellow one a couple of times, and the blue one’s never seen air.

I also wanted a better 1/2A Skyray, so I reduced the rib profile to 53% and made a built-up wing to go in a standard 1/2A fuselage, using standard tail surfaces.  I call it my Skyray 110.

Sig Skyray DSCN5356
Sig Skyray DSCN5358
Sig Skyray DSCN5316


The Manly Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Posts : 2006
Join date : 2013-05-22
Age : 58
Location : Portland, OR, USA

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  getback Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:41 am

Wing looks good and straight , I wouldn't use wood (white glue) on the installation of the wing it doesn't fill gaps good when drying the epoxy 30 mins. is what i have used . This is a good wicking glue .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Posts : 8138
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 64
Location : julian , NC

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  NEW222 Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:54 am

Nice fleet there. I have had the 1/2a Skyray, but never did get the bigger one.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3380
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 43
Location : oakbank, mb

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:42 pm

Mark, I recall when you were doing these. They look great and well executed. The 1/2A Skyray is pretty impressive. It certainly would be a great competitor in 1/2A stunt.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4508
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:52 pm

@batjac wrote:I built a trio of Skyrays a few years ago.  All three are identical with OS .25 LA-S engines.  I figured I’d take two out and if I crash one, the remains go in a plastic bag and I pull the other out of the car and keep flying.  

Sig Skyray DSCN5342
Sig Skyray DSCN5339


I built the pink one because my wife said she’d learn to fly if I built her a pink airplane.  She didn’t think a Manly Man would ever build a fluorescent pink plane.  Well, I built it and presented it to her, but she politely declined.  She always does that…  So the pink plane was the first one I took out to fly at the field, figuring if I was going to crash one, it’d be the pink one first and I’d be able to throw it in the corner and move on to the yellow and blue planes.  Well, one Wednesday morning I crashed the pink one, and proceeded to pull the yellow one out of the car and keep flying.  My evil plan to get rid of the pink plane was progressing nicely.  Until the guys at the field started razzing me about real modelers not throwing away planes and such.  So, pride in hand, I had it repaired and flying by Friday.  I pretty much fly the pink plane exclusively because I haven’t crashed it again.  I’ve flown the yellow one a couple of times, and the blue one’s never seen air.

I also wanted a better 1/2A Skyray, so I reduced the rib profile to 53% and made a built-up wing to go in a standard 1/2A fuselage, using standard tail surfaces.  I call it my Skyray 110.

Sig Skyray DSCN5356
Sig Skyray DSCN5358
Sig Skyray DSCN5316


The Manly Mark

Very nice trio they all look great, i wanted to ask if you built them according to the plans, did you do anything different when building them? I have read articles on the building of the SR 35, which mentioned about moving the leadouts forward and a few others items. Did you?
Jim That 1/2A ray looks great makes me want to build with the full wing.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:53 am

Well it,s been awhile but i got back on the SkyRay, house updateing over the winter had to take priority.   I have some pictures here that i have taken of how it will look when finished. Mocked up with decals, i still need to glue the wing in and install elevator and a couple other minor details.

Sig Skyray 20210313Sig Skyray 20210315
Sig Skyray 20210318Sig Skyray 20210319Sig Skyray 20210320
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  Ken Cook Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:00 am

That should be a lot of fun. It looks sporty just on it's gear.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4508
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  OhBee Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:08 am

I built my entire plane using Titebond II.....including gluing in the wing. I don't see any issues !(Sig Skyray 20210118
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 695
Join date : 2016-03-23
Age : 70
Location : Minnesota

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  getback Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:10 am

Oldguy thats looks great , what engine is it i can't tell from the pics.? And i see you have the decals printed ? out and they look good on there But if you use the clear/transparent paper film they will stand out better without the white background .. The white on white is ok , i did the same thing on a model and wish later i had done it different . Just saying Cool
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Posts : 8138
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 64
Location : julian , NC

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:54 am

@OhBee wrote:I built my entire plane using Titebond II.....including gluing in the wing. I don't see any issues !(Sig Skyray 20210118

Looks good OhBee.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  oldguy Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:55 am

@getback wrote:Oldguy thats looks great , what engine is it i can't tell from the pics.? And i see you have the decals printed ? out and they look good on there But if you use the clear/transparent paper film they will stand out better without the white background .. The white on white is ok , i did the same thing on a model and wish later i had done it different . Just saying Cool

Engine is OS FP .25, decals have clear stick on backing, white shouldn't be a problem.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 363
Join date : 2015-12-10
Age : 67
Location : Idaho

Back to top Go down

Sig Skyray Empty Re: Sig Skyray

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum