Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!


Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Cox_ba12




Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Pixel

Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Breezy Hill's 1/2A Day" April 17th & 18th...Is In The Books!!!!
by getback Today at 8:40 am

» 35% Nitro Fuel
by Iceberg Today at 7:54 am

» 3Cyl.KOLM in love wit Listen to this sound
by getback Today at 7:02 am

» Follow Rusty's Memorial Traveling Engines!
by Admin Today at 1:55 am

» Maybe us old guys can fly THIS
by OhBee Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Rustolium spray paint.
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:34 pm

» Line Rake on vintage model?
by getback Yesterday at 7:44 am

» Props for Texaco Event
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:49 am

» Homemade Prop Balancer
by OVERLORD Yesterday at 1:09 am

» Babe Bee pickup tubing spring
by Oldenginerod Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:24 pm

» Enya .049 / .06 / .08 and .10 ---- made for Japan (family).
by sosam117 Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:57 am

» thinking of a new project
by dirk gently Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:07 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2021
fredvon4's

Finely polished Cox .049 with exhaust collector.




PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery


Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  roddie Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:48 pm

Hi all, Happy holidays to you and yours. My being a modeller living in New England; Wintertime is "building season".

I realize that most of us aren't building scale model airplanes.. but if your looking for a more scale gear-layout; there are options that aren't terribly difficult to replicate. One would need to understand basic C/G balancing for their particular model, to be able to safely alter it's design.

We also acknowledge the fact that a 1/2A class airplane requires a smooth runway to take full advantage of any landing-gear.. scale or otherwise.. Smile

I'm partial to having landing gear on a model. You can hand-launch it.. but can you hand land-it?

For starters; one would need to have a means to cut lengths of music-wire (preferably 1/16"/.062") diameter for the gear-legs/struts.

The music-wire inverted-"V" sandwiched-between the engine and firewall works awesome.. so why alter it? ...  Eyebrows

I save stuff. I look at everything that I throw in the waste-basket.. and ask myself; "could I re-use this?"

The next time you cut hardwood IC engine-bearers to length.. save the cut-offs. That same square-stock could be used to make gear-blocks.

The gear-blocks that I have made, generally key-into either a "joint" or a reinforced section.. and have already been fitted with 1/16" m/w struts. A common 1/16" dia. drill.. and a V-file/rasp to cut a groove/channel in the block, for the "L" bend to key-into. The struts can be formed by using a small set of locking pliers and eye protection. A couple of 90 degree bends is all it takes. Keep in mind; your axle/wheel-hub/retainer O/A length. Better to over-estimate and be able to trim shorter.  

Some photos of my profile P38's trike gear; a flat-wing model with the gear-blocks epoxied under the wing/fuse intersection.. gusset-style.

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane 20201210

The nose-gear is a similar single L-bent strut through a plywood plate, faired-into the nose. I use the DuBro 1/2A steel landing gear straps almost exclusively.

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane 20201211
Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane 20201212

I installed a 33% span hardwood strip-spar near the L/E of my F8F-2 Bearcat's 1/8" sheet-wing model for the 1st CEF Speed-Contest. It was a win-win. Strengthen the wing-root/fuse junction.. and gain more scale-like gear-block mount locations. The blocks are notched for the L-bend on the mating-surface; eliminating the need for a L/G strap.

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane 20201213
Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane 20201214
Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane 20201215
Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane 20201019

I enjoy this part of the modelling process, more than any other aspect. Maybe it's like an art form for me?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 7144
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 61
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Re: Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:22 pm

Looks well made Roddie, You are going to have to show me how they work in real life instead of static displays. Wink

Seriously though, have you considered re-bending the gear on the RB so it stops nosing over on launch?



Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Posts : 11473
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Tuttle, OK

Back to top Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Re: Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  roddie Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 pm

@Cribbs74 wrote:Looks well made Roddie, You are going to have to show me how they work in real life  instead of static displays.  Wink

Seriously though, have you considered re-bending the gear on the RB so it stops nosing over on launch?




Hey Ron! Yes..I remember you mentioned that. I haven't tried any launches since then. Smile Future flights will test a less temperamental/easy-starting sport-engine, to get the airplane flying. I may also try a break-away streamer to help keep the tail down when lifting-off.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 7144
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 61
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Re: Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:57 pm

That’s going to be a bit tricky. I understand the concept, but not sure how you would do it. It would almost have to be on a reel of some sort to provide enough tension to keep the tail down, even then it would have to break at the precise moment it lifts off the ground. That would be a lot of engineering just to get around having to rework the landing gear. Also when you land you will have to deal with the nose over again. Just my thoughts of course.

Back when you built that I built the little Laird that had the same problem. No matter what I did the engine was just too heavy. I would have had to extend the gear past the prop for a ROG take off. I don’t think you will have that problem. In the end I took the gear off and hand launched it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Posts : 11473
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Tuttle, OK

Back to top Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Re: Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:06 am

Good points roddie, and I love your attention to detail.

Like you, I look at everything before I toss it. Music wire cut-offs especially. Longer cuts or new music wire go in a 3 foot long tube that I got containing "Golden Rod" plastic control guides, shorter go in a special drawer. Balsa too, but that's a losing proposition, most are too short or small to be any value for a full scale build.

Still love that "Rare Bear."
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Posts : 6094
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Re: Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  roddie Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:52 pm

@Cribbs74 wrote:That’s going to be a bit tricky. I understand the concept, but not sure how you would do it. It would almost have to be on a reel of some sort to provide enough tension to keep the tail down, even then it would have to break at the precise moment it lifts off the ground. That would be a lot of engineering just to get around having to rework the landing gear. Also when you land you will have to deal with the nose over again.  Just my thoughts of course.

Back when you built that I built the little Laird that had the same problem. No matter what I did the engine was just too heavy. I would have had to extend the gear past the prop for a ROG take off. I don’t think you will have that problem. In the end I took the gear off and hand launched it.

Yea.. I don't know what I'm going to do. I've got a while to think on it. I'm not opposed to adding some tail-weight. I'm not really sure where the balance point should be on this airplane.. being my own design.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 7144
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 61
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Re: Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  roddie Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:08 pm

@rsv1cox wrote:Good points roddie, and I love your attention to detail.

Like you, I look at everything before I toss it.  Music wire cut-offs especially.  Longer cuts or new music wire go in a 3 foot long tube that I got containing "Golden Rod" plastic control guides, shorter go in a special drawer.  Balsa too, but that's a losing proposition, most are too short or small to be any value for a full scale build.

Still love that "Rare Bear."

Thanks Robert, I thoroughly enjoyed building the Rare Bear.. and have taken a LOT of photos of it. Smile

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 7144
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 61
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Re: Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  NEW222 Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:29 pm

Guilty about saving things here too.... But the other week, I finally gave in and went through all my 'savings', and got rid of whatever had not been touched or used in a long while. Mostly balsa though. Like Bob, I have a small tube for new full length or close to wires, and a short stubby one for shorter ones and cut-offs. As was said, the balsa box got a good going-through and burnt up a whole shopping bag full of scraps. And scraps they were. Anything that was usable, was saved, and if long and skinny, I 'stripped' them into sticks. After that, I bundled them together into groups, according to type. Sticks, 1" or less, 2" or less, etc.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3224
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 42
Location : oakbank, mb

Back to top Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Re: Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:51 am

@NEW222 wrote:Guilty about saving things here too.... But the other week, I finally gave in and went through all my 'savings', and got rid of whatever had not been touched or used in a long while. Mostly balsa though. Like Bob, I have a small tube for new full length or close to wires, and a short stubby one for shorter ones and cut-offs. As was said, the balsa box got a good going-through and burnt up a whole shopping bag full of scraps. And scraps they were. Anything that was usable, was saved, and if long and skinny, I 'stripped' them into sticks. After that, I bundled them together into groups, according to type. Sticks, 1" or less, 2" or less, etc.

Did you find out the week after you threw something away that you needed it?  Story of my life!

Got burned by it once. Literally.  True story:

I was burning up a bunch of my old balsa airframes and scraps back in the 1980's in an old Franklin stove.  Whiffs of balsa few up the chimney and set it on fire singeing the panel by the flue.  Got a bucket of water from the kitchen and the steam put the fire out.  Dodged a bullet on that one.

Edit:

Sorry, you know me, if I have a picture I'm gonna post it. Sad

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Scan_256
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Posts : 6094
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : West Virginia

Back to top Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Re: Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  roddie Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:17 pm

@rsv1cox wrote:
@NEW222 wrote:Guilty about saving things here too.... But the other week, I finally gave in and went through all my 'savings', and got rid of whatever had not been touched or used in a long while. Mostly balsa though. Like Bob, I have a small tube for new full length or close to wires, and a short stubby one for shorter ones and cut-offs. As was said, the balsa box got a good going-through and burnt up a whole shopping bag full of scraps. And scraps they were. Anything that was usable, was saved, and if long and skinny, I 'stripped' them into sticks. After that, I bundled them together into groups, according to type. Sticks, 1" or less, 2" or less, etc.

Did you find out the week after you threw something away that you needed it?  Story of my life!

Got burned by it once. Literally.  True story:

I was burning up a bunch of my old balsa airframes and scraps back in the 1980's in an old Franklin stove.  Whiffs of balsa few up the chimney and set it on fire singeing the panel by the flue.  Got a bucket of water from the kitchen and the steam put the fire out.  Dodged a bullet on that one.

Edit:

Sorry, you know me, if I have a picture I'm gonna post it. Sad

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Scan_256

One day, my HS History teacher invited our class to an "Open House" at his home in Franklin, MA (USA); the oldest home by far in town. It had a huge central chimney which served X3 1st-floor fireplaces. Two of them were operating. One in the kitchen and one in the dining room. It was an exhibition of sorts, to show how life would have been.. some 300 years ago. It was a mild day and all the outside doors were open to help keep the house from getting too warm. All of a sudden; there began a rush of air into the house.. as the chimney caught fire. Shocked The FFD dispatched an engine in short time.. but being that the dwelling had a slate roof and a rather robust chimney.. no further action other than an attic inspection was necessary. I remember the flames shooting up out the top of the chimney. Not something that you want to have happen.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 7144
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 61
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Re: Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:18 pm

Clean your fireplace yearly, have it inspected and only burn hardwoods. You will never have a problem with creosote buildup.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Posts : 11473
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 47
Location : Tuttle, OK

Back to top Go down

Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane Empty Re: Mains (gear) on your 1/2A size airplane

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum