Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Please help with FAA for increasing the weight petition and email Cox_ba12

Please help with FAA for increasing the weight petition and email Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Please help with FAA for increasing the weight petition and email Empty
Live on Patrol

Please help with FAA for increasing the weight petition and email

Go down

Please help with FAA for increasing the weight petition and email Empty Please help with FAA for increasing the weight petition and email

Post  Smithdoor Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:17 am

Please help
Looking for a Exemption for model aircraft fix wing from FAA for increasing the weight

I hope everyone is signing petition and emailing the White House Just copy past.

http://chng.it/LM9VBT2nmr
https://www.change.org/p/federal-governmen-and-faa-exemption-for-model-aircraft-fix-wing-from-currant-faa-limit-250g-limitation-to-2kg

Change.org

https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

I updated to match park flyer.
Thank you
Dave

Exemption for model aircraft fix wing from currant FAA limit 0.55 pounds [250 grams] to 2 pounds [907 grams]
1) Built from 50% by weight using balsa wood and or foam materials.
2) Speed limit groundspeed to 60 MPH
3) Line of sight flying to maximum distance of 1 mile [1.6 KM]
4) Only for non commercial uses, hobby use only.

* Definition of Model Aircraft
A) Built from tradition building materials (wood and or foam with covering)
B) Does not need a gyro to fly
C)Fix wing design .
D) Typically made at home
E) Does not have camera to fly.
F) Flies line of sight only.

** Definition of a Aircraft Drone
A) Has multi motors/Needs more than 3 motors to fly.
B) Needs a gyro to fly
C) Primary made from plastic
D) Typically flies by a camera
E) Typically ready to fly.
Smithdoor
Smithdoor
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Please help with FAA for increasing the weight petition and email Empty Re: Please help with FAA for increasing the weight petition and email

Post  944_Jim Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:39 am

Sir,
I believe you need to check your drone vs non-drone definition. I have a hand-size rc helicopter with gyro-assist. It will not fly by itself. It requires a human to operate it with respect to:
A) leaving the ground
B) at all times moving through the air
C) and landing

A drone CAN (but not MUST) automatically:
A) leave the ground
B) move through the air
C) land

In other words, a drone is capable of pilot-less flight. The keyboard operator of a drone is typing in the take-off/flight/landing of a drone, and may take over for the automated guidance system during any of the three distinct phases/operations that define flight. Until he takes over active control of the aircraft, he isn't flying the machine.

By your word choice any of the fixed-wing military drones (and private drones) have just been defined "not drone." My opinions mean nothing to the FAA. But I still stand on a drone is a drone if it can handle at least one of of the three aspects of flight (take-off, move, land) WITHOUT the constant input for a control-stick operator. By my definition, Nazi Germany's Buzz Bombs are drones.

The weight requirement does nothing to harden the line between toy (recreation) vs tool (for monetary gain). To further harden the difference between toy and tool, verbage needs to be included that emphasizes the difference between "fun" vs "factory."

I believe we "lost the fight" because we didn't collectively push the difference between "eyes-on/hands-on management of all phases of flight by a person for fun" vs "any one or more phase(s) of flight managed by a programable system, operated for commerce, or national/civil defense, or terrorists."

Good luck with your fight against the Government.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Please help with FAA for increasing the weight petition and email Empty Re: Please help with FAA for increasing the weight petition and email

Post  Smithdoor Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:07 am

Thank you
It would make case for helicopter's harder.
Making a case for fix wing balsa/foam models is easier.
Basically a family sitting around a kitchen table building models and going to park to fly on Saturday or Sunday. Also balsa and foam is used in movies for there fights so no get heart.

Dave

PS: when email the White House I included my background in Aviation and started with my father and myself building RC aircraft
Smithdoor
Smithdoor
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:03 pm

Just like every public input meeting I've ever gone to....they don't listen to anyones reasoning or input,and do whatever the hell they want. Save your breath.
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithdoor Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:13 pm

At least I am trying
I hoping others will help I do know it is a numbers that will change.

Dave

OhBee wrote:Just like every public input meeting I've ever gone to....they don't listen to anyones reasoning or input,and do whatever the hell they want.  Save your breath.
Smithdoor
Smithdoor
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:36 pm

AMA pooped where they slept when they welcomed these quadcopters that any mouth drooler can fly thinking these people would join AMA. This backfired greatly at the cost of grouping traditional fixed and rotary(gyro only) aircraft with these quadcopters that have heading and altitude control. These are the idiots that fly where they shouldn’t be.

The FAA will never back down. This is only phase one.

Remember the FAAs motto is their not happy until you’re not happy.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:45 pm

Yes y have To say I've been thinking for a while now To convert air plane engine in rc cars engine I could predict it one day or another it would be difficult to find a place to fly a plane That's why I'm doing my best to bring back the 1 \ 2A motorized cars, it would be a good way to bring young people back into the hobby. Of cox engine world fines smal engine Myself, I love to fly so much I can't imagine world without rc plane and have the nead of pay more mony To start in the hobby Or not being able to do it anymore because of stupid law if we lost To mutch people buying cox engine and Imagine no longer finding a new part, no longer finding enough to feed it no more fuel y tink of al the smal engine y have m'y sons niko wil use them in like 10years y truly hope cox wil stay in business hope for the kids in futur wil Find one old engine 100years old and stil run Then still be able to use it at abordable price y like cox Not just for the sound the thril the smell the look the performance because what we can make fly fly very long float for a very long time cars run very long To wit 100 ml of fuel = days and days of fun y like cox engine y hope for future Futaba Radio Jeep
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithdoor Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:22 pm

The FAA has been know for being overly safe.
Witch leads to height cost, unless it Boeing and Max
Witch again is not helping.
I can see the AMA would think the multi motor drone would join. But they made the drone to easy to buy and fly and this group did need AMA.

I start see this back back around 1970 when the plastic airplane came out in large numbers. This group had a addatued from the builders.

Dave

Jason_WI wrote:AMA pooped where they slept when they welcomed these quadcopters that any mouth drooler can fly thinking these people would join AMA. This backfired greatly at the cost of grouping traditional fixed and rotary(gyro only) aircraft with these quadcopters that have heading and altitude control. These are the idiots that fly where they shouldn’t be.

The FAA will never back down. This is only phase one.

Remember the FAAs motto is their not happy until you’re not happy.
Smithdoor
Smithdoor
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithdoor Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:43 pm

I been flying RC aircraft for over 50 years
I agree with you, I started building models with my father he also a member of the EAA. In 1973 my father and myself started manufacturing aircraft hangar doors.
I live in farm land and about 15 minutes away. Till 2004 I just went to my backyard.
I do not know why a China has started the Cox engines. If I was 20 years younger I would make engine. Cox had great design for massive production.

Dave
Please help with FAA for increasing the weight petition and email Engine10[/url]

davidll1984 wrote:Yes y have To say I've been thinking for a while now To convert air plane engine in rc cars engine I could predict it one day or another it would be difficult to find a place to fly a plane That's why I'm doing my best to bring back the 1 \ 2A motorized cars, it would be a good way to bring young people back into the hobby. Of cox engine world fines smal engine Myself, I love to fly so much I can't imagine world without rc plane and have the nead of pay more mony To start in the hobby Or not being able to do it anymore because of stupid law if we lost To mutch people buying cox engine and Imagine no longer finding a new part, no longer finding enough to feed it no more fuel y tink of al the smal engine y have m'y sons niko wil use them in like 10years y truly hope cox wil stay in business hope for the kids in futur wil Find one old engine 100years old and stil run Then still be able to use it at abordable price y like cox Not just for the sound the thril the smell the look the performance because what we can make fly fly very long float for a very long time cars run very long To wit 100 ml of fuel = days and days of fun y like cox engine y hope for future Futaba Radio Jeep
[url=https://servimg.com/view/20309377/1]
Smithdoor
Smithdoor
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithdoor Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:40 pm

This a email I received February 12 2021

----------------------
I would like more data on home design hobby built fix wing balsa models.Is under 0.55 pound limit
From BILLING CODE 4910-13-P page 451 - 452

(c) Except for unmanned aircraft designed and produced to be standard remote

identification unmanned aircraft, this subpart does not apply to the design or production of:

(1) Home-built unmanned aircraft.
(2) Unmanned aircraft of the United States Government.

(3) Unmanned aircraft that weigh 0.55 pounds or less on takeoff, including everything

that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft.

(4) Unmanned aircraft designed or produced exclusively for the purpose of aeronautical

From the FAA
The Remote ID rule does not apply to model aircraft weighing .55 pounds or less
======================

So Cox engines for new FAA rules is a great size.
Smithdoor
Smithdoor
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:08 pm

Yep...so my CL 40"+ models approaching 1-1.5 lbs on .015"x 60' lines is illegal. Time to buy land in a tight valley, such that Amazon isn't going to fly nap-of-the-earth and collide with my model!

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:12 am

As long as FAA scrutiny is driven only by technicalities like maximum airborne weight and Visual Line of Sight flying and similar, believe me guys, you are lucky.

When the political battle between the ruling system and its critics come at play, it becomes even nastier. Not wanting to bring politics on CEF,  I still owe you some explanation of the above.

The near 100 years old Hungarian aeromodeling is just fighting its desperate  uphill battle against idiot lawmakers of our parliament  who, in their angst against paparazzi using drone mounted cameras to record the suspicious growth of wealth of some ruling politicians and their cronies (democracy, transparency and freedom of speech at their best here), introduced laws that mandate in Hungary:

1. Registration of all  Unmanned Airborne Vehicles weighing more than 120 grams i.e. 4 ounces
(Based on non- existing specs and serial numbers for home built planes??? How???)

2. Passing of drone pilot exams on-line (at least I have done it on a Luxemburg website)

3. Paying high-cost third party liability insurance for all your planes no matter you only fly one at a time..insurance companies do not even offer you a seat near their counter after they hear you have come to insure a home built balsa plane...

4. Applying 3 days in advance for the temporary use of air space even in uninhabited areas, with a mobile app that does not work

These crook PM-s have no idea what the difference between recreational flying e.g. a COX engine powered  balsa RC plane built on your kitchen counter, and media-peeping with a factory made quadcopter carrying a high resolution onboard cam, is.

With the above rules aimed at making life of drone-assisted media more difficult, they have practically paralyzed recreational flying of fixed wing RC aircraft anywhere here. Even my smallest, COX 010 driven Sharkface is heavier than 4 ounces and hence is considered illegal to use in the remotest land unless the plane and its pilot meet all the rules above..

I have learnt not to annoy myself by even thinking of the above rules, and will fly an outlaw as long as I am technically apt to do so...sorry, but old habits die hard..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum