Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Carl Goldberg Shoestring Cox_ba12

Carl Goldberg Shoestring Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Carl Goldberg Shoestring
by NEW222 Yesterday at 9:22 pm

» Tank Cleaning and an Old Rant from my Youth
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Designing a Tee Dee RC carb
by dckrsn Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» COX 049 Product Engine '76 - type confirm .
by balogh Yesterday at 5:46 pm

» Home made fuel nipple for COX Tee Dee RC carb
by balogh Yesterday at 3:56 pm

» Contest - Contest - Contest
by Admin Yesterday at 2:42 pm

» COX TeeDee09 RC in flight with the Cosmic Wind
by balogh Yesterday at 12:16 pm

» Fall S.M.A.L.L. Friday
by Kim Yesterday at 10:33 am

» Big Brother
by NEW222 Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:18 pm

» Cox Engine Stories
by rsv1cox Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:39 am

» It's raining Cox engines
by rsv1cox Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:19 am

» Simple Baby Ringmaster build
by MauricioB Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2021
MauricioB's

"Babe Bee .049 r/c"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery

Carl Goldberg Shoestring Empty

Carl Goldberg Shoestring

Go down

Carl Goldberg Shoestring Empty Carl Goldberg Shoestring

Post  NEW222 Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:09 pm

Yep, I think there may be something wrong. Somehow today this thing followed me home. I could not leave it there online so..... Biggest downside is that the needle was missing from it. It is an old Fox .35 engine attached to the nose of this Carl Goldberg Shoestring. Owner had told me that he had built this approximately 45 years ago in the mid 1970's., and it has not been flown since the late 1970's. Yes, it is very stuck, but also very clean. I will be removing the engine and heating it up first to try and free it up. But now the biggest debate on what to do with it. I feel a nice restoration like others here do would be great, but also the old patina is also very nice. Now the flip side is that I feel all planes deserve to fly, but I also would hate to wreck something like this too. For now I will just wipe it down and somehow display it while I figure out whether I want to leave it as is, or try and find a vintage Fox needle for it and give the plane some more air time. I will have time to look as I feel my outdoor time is now limited this year for running engines. Was a bad year for running anything anyways.

If I decide to fly it as it was meant to be, the dope finish is cracking on the fuselage and tail surfaces. Can I safely apply some sort of topcoat to just seal it and fly it as to preserve teh vintage look, or would i have to strip it and redo the whole thing?

Thanks for looking.

Carl Goldberg Shoestring 24475410

Carl Goldberg Shoestring 24509310

Carl Goldberg Shoestring 24541610
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Carl Goldberg Shoestring Empty Re: Carl Goldberg Shoestring

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:57 pm

If I were you I recover and repaint it Very Happy If you want any decals let me know Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:25 pm

Thank you Levent for your recommendations. Actually the wing covering, presumably Monokote, is actually pretty good with teh exception of a small spot on the underside of the wing on the sheeting beside the fuselage. I just went and played with the engine a bit. After removal and some heat from the heat gun, it is now freed up and seems to have a nice 'pop' to it. Also while looking it over, I am starting to possibly think that the paint is actually good and not flaking, but the paint, or whatever was used, had sank into the woodgrain. I will have to investigate a bit further. as I now have the tail clamped and glued as the elevator halves have seperated from eachother. Not broken, but rather a 2 piece elevator and the joing had simply let go. From there I will have to grab a couple of pins and install them in the hinges, find a needle and well, wait till spring to give it a run, and possibly flight!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:56 am

I like the look as it is. It certainly has vintage appeal and I would personally preserve it by maybe applying a coat of clear polyurethane to seal it and leave it at that.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:48 am

Beautiful As-Is!!!!

Agree with Rod on the clear coat, with videos and photos of it when it flies!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:01 am

Thanks guys. As much as I would like to redo the model to its former glory, I just don't think I can do the job I would want or even anywhere near the quality of work that someone like Bob would do I do think I will leave it as is. Then as per suggestions, clear it and well, fly it. However, flying will definitely not get done till next year, but clear may get done this year yet. Bonus is that it will have a long time to dry properly.

Now to just find a needle for it, preferably used. With that said, however, I see there are 2 types made. Straight taper, and a straight taper with a flat on it..... Just enough to make one do some research.... Will definitely update as I go along.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:22 am

@NEW222 wrote:Thanks guys. As much as I would like to redo the model to its former glory, I just don't think I can do the job I would want or even anywhere near the quality of work that someone like Bob would do I do think I will leave it as is. Then as per suggestions, clear it and well, fly it. However, flying will definitely not get done till next year, but clear may get done this year yet. Bonus is that it will have a  long time to dry properly.

Now to just find a needle for it, preferably used. With that said, however, I see there are 2 types made. Straight taper, and a straight taper with a flat on it..... Just enough to make one do some research.... Will definitely update as I go along.

Let me know which one (needle valve) you need.  I'm on the road right now, but for sure have a spare, and will check it out as soon as I get home on Monday or Tuesday.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:01 am

Yes leave it as , I would consider an overcoat of sealant . Very nice and I hope you can get some outside fun in sooooon !!! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:27 am

If Kim doesn’t find a needle I probably have one.

If you do fly it. Do a pull test first. Glue sitting for 45yrs becomes brittle. Also the Fox likes to shake. If those doublers weren’t epoxied on they will definitely separate from the fuselage.

Cool 😎 plane!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:48 pm

The color appears to me to be Aero Gloss Curtis Blue. Nothing really top coats it well. While polyurethane will work it adds a lot of weight. There's so many things that can be wrong with old planes like this. To add to the issue, the Shoestring has a design flaw within it. The two center ribs spaced apart under the sheeting creates all kinds of harmonics in the nose making it act like a tuning fork. The solution was to make a solid rib during construction. Having a Fox on the nose can certainly make it worse and on a old plane it will shake the hell out of it.  This means that you can't acquire a needle setting because it will foam the fuel and have the engine run all over the place.

This of course might not happen but when it does, the plane is done. When cellulose based cements were used which this plane may have been constructed with speeds the destruction  process up in seconds. Opening the wing  covering can reveal this and most if not all glue joints with Ambroid is separated.

As Ron mentioned, a pull test is important and I will pull on the hinges as well as they can fall out equally. Most important, DON'T RUN that prop. They can and will explode. Boiling it doesn't fix it, throw it out. I can tell you first hand as my flying partner had one goes through the side of his face and I had one go through my rib cage almost hitting my lung.

I wonder why the main feature of the plane, the cowl was eliminated.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:55 pm

Thank you all for the help and tips. I will do a pull test to see what happens first, and also I will check the tail hinges as well, just because it is easy. I will take a peek to see if I can determine if the doublers were epoxied on, but not sure exactly how this can verified if I cannot see any residue from epoxy. All I also know is that the gentleman that had built it said that he used to fly the begeesus out of it and did a lot of stunting with it. The elevator throw is quite large. And as for the cowl being omitted, I am not sure why. I had only figured this part out last night when I was looking around online at other builds. No obvious marks either showing that it was ever installed. While I would love to add one, I will not as I want to keep it as it is.

NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:39 pm

Hi New222, awesome find. Glad you picked it up. I seen the posting on kijiji or Facebook marketplace can't remember lol. I was thinking 14day road trip excuse lol!

Can't wait to see some flight reports. Popcorn

I like the color scheme.

layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Yesterday at 9:22 pm

Ok. So just a tiny update for today. I looked teh front end over and seems to be very solid and good to go. I went through the elevator hinges and made 3 pins for the ones that were missing to join them as they are pinned hinges. Did a pull test on the elevators after and were all solid and no movement. I then sat down and masked off the fillet around the wing and proceeded to make a new thin fillet of epoxy around it on both sides as I just wanted to make sure that it was securly mounted and now seemed to be the better time to do so. If all goes well tomorrow afternoon, and the weather does cooperate, I do plan on giving the plane a light coat of polyurethane to preserve it as it is. Then comes the next part of flying, but that will have to wait till spring more than likely as our control line club is winding down for the year I think. And also to be safe, I will probably have an experienced member take it up for the first flight too just to make sure everything is good. And lastly is to try and find a tank suitable for it. Would like to try and get a period correct tank if possible. I have a coupel here somewhere, but have a feeling they are going to be either too big or too small.

Off to do some reading of what size fuel tank is recommended for a Fox 35 for approximately 3 - 5 minutes.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum