Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. Cox_ba12

Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Admin Today at 5:50 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. Empty
Live on Patrol

Mail day. 1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen.

Go down

Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. Empty Mail day. 1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen.

Post  rsv1cox Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:28 pm

Going to love putting that Wildcat together, simple and just my style.

Junk engines - Wen Mark Mk IV with broken case, postage stamp, and a couple of Babe Bees all thin wall the Babe Bees with large head needles. Gold to me.

Babe Bee with strange intake screen retainer. I would like to think factory, but a very clever guy with great hands and eyes I would guess. Still don't know for sure.

Junk engines guy said they all turn over, in fact only one does - sorta. Parts cleaner all, heat, disassemble, reasemble and run. I think I can make it to the woods rather quickly.

Junk engines packed well beyond what they deserved:

Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1011999
Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012000
Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1011998
Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012001
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. Empty Re: Mail day. 1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen.

Post  NEW222 Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:15 pm

Nice, and glad they arrived there quickly and safely. ALso, looks like a nice airframe for one of them. Definately curious as to how the individual made and installed the screen. Definately looks like a good job and not a hack job.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. Empty Re: Mail day. 1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen.

Post  944_Jim Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Bob,

That kit showed up fast! You will do justice to the kit, just as you have the others. I'd like to see the plans for the wing. It may share the wing with their Mustang...

I have an old Scientific 25" Super Mustang kit. Every time I see Brodak's Mustang in this series, I'm reminded of the Scientific one. The dimensions are the same, the rib count is the same, the pushrod outlet is the same, and I think the decals are the same. The only visible difference is Brodak doesn't include the plastic engine cowl as kitted by Scientific back in the day. Scientific's engine cowls are what drew me and my boys to the Reproduction kits by Dave Cowell/DPC-Models. Any input regarding similarities would be appreciated. I can even email the Scientific plan for your review and input. It can print in Tiled-Mode from Adobe Acrobat or Reader for an overlay/match-up IF the Brodak plan has similar images. I think I have your email address someplace. Care to compare?

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:37 am

Winter time Project Jim. Right now the weather is beautiful but snow on the ground shortly. Share - Yes. When I break into it I will photograph the plans and send them to you.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:49 am

Bob asked via PM if I had any opinion on the screen staked back plate.

I think, based on the photo that a machine pressed in the screen and retaining staking as uniform as it appears.

I suspect Cox later changed to the annular pressing to accommodate easier end user screen removal/replacement

The back plate shown would be very difficult to remove the screen without damage leaving no good way to secure a new screen in the recess
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:14 am

fredvon4 wrote:Bob asked via PM if I had any opinion on the screen staked back plate.

I think, based on the photo that a machine pressed in the screen and retaining staking as uniform as it appears.

I suspect Cox later changed to the annular pressing to accommodate easier end user screen removal/replacement

The back plate shown would be very difficult to remove the screen without damage leaving no good way to secure a new screen in the recess

Thanks Fred, I have been fooling around with this stuff for over fifty years and I have never seen another like it. Gathering opinions from those that share my experience.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:12 am

I answered your PM Bob.

I am going to go look in my parts pile today and see if I have one. I just don’t recall ever seeing one. Somebody here has the answer, probably a factory worker knows.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 am

Responses from jmendosa and Mudhen.........I think they nailed it.  Good to hear that Mud has seen a couple like it.

The 1st Babe Bees had no screen, and then they added the screen and modified the backplate to accept it by crimping the edges to hold it in place, and later, under Leisure, they eliminated the screen altogether. But what you have is most likely an early attempt to make the the screen removable by slotting the crimp ring to form tabs. This was probably only done for a short period of time, as it would be easy for the tabs to break. The cylinder you have is the one that was the 1st change from the thin wall for a throttle sleeve, and the wider front neck on the case that still has a taper to it. Cox only made these versions for a few years before going to the thicker cylinder and straight cut neck on the case. I do not recall seeing the tabbed screen backplate, but it is definitely a change that Cox made, but was probably only done for a very short period of time. Just like the W shaped glow element, they were only around for a year or two.
Jay

Hi Bob,
I came across that style tank back several years ago while restoring an initial issue Dune Buggy.
That dates the item to early/mid 1969. Since then I found another one on a Golden Bee, (same era.)
It seems the simplest answer is that for a short time used alternate tooling to secure the intake screen.
Engines from the same vintage, (1969-70,) used the newer style stamping. So it lasted only for a short time.
Maybe less than six months.
Mud

I lightly cleaned it this morning.  No boil, no parts cleaner just Remoil and a toothbrush.  Left mostly as found patina and all.Clean engine to start with.  Thanks to all for helping me clear this up.

Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012060
Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012062
Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012061
Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012063
Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012064
Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012065

Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012066
Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012067
Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012068

Replaced the missing needle spring and the head gasket was missing altogether, not just melded into the top of the cylinder as is so often the case.  Also finding a new prop starter spring, old one was was bent.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ChaseBanner Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:08 pm

junk engines need love too! i couldnt call my collection a collection if it were not for junk engines
ChaseBanner
ChaseBanner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:34 am

ChaseBanner wrote:junk engines need love too! i couldnt call my collection a collection if it were not for junk engines

Thanks Chase, I am no longer alone!!  Smile

Found a new starter spring to replace the original bent one.  Variations of these.

Mail day.  1/2A Brodak Wildcat, Junk .049's, and curious Babe Bee intake screen. P1012070
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ChaseBanner Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:49 am

[quote="rsv1cox"]
ChaseBanner wrote:junk engines need love too! i couldnt call my collection a collection if it were not for junk engines

Thanks Chase, I am no longer alone!!  Smile

Found a new starter spring to replace the original bent one.  Variations of these.

i just put a throttle sleeve on a golden bee and realized the hex drive plate/auto catch cam will spoil a man whos just looking to cruise around the sky and relax. i can see the advantage(other than less friction) of a no drag drive plate though, less sore fingers, some reason the extra step makes me anyway more careful when winding the prop....but yes sometimes the junk yard box is just as cherished as the ones on the shelf we proudly display
ChaseBanner
ChaseBanner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down